What Will Break Ground First?

What expansion will break ground first (if at all)?

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Carsland

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Star Wars Land

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Something at Universal (not HP, Tranformers, or Springfield)

Votes: 44 33.1%

• Total voters

xstech25

Universal has done a great job at expanding and should get praise, but they are not Disney and never will be. Just waiting in line for the Harry Potter ride and seeing that huge white building the ride is in proves that. Universal can build great attractions but they will never have the brand or overall holistic experience like Disney Parks do.

That being said I think the attractions will open in the following order (only including the ones we know are going to happen):
Rivers of Light
Frozen
King Kong
Universal Waterpark
Star Wars

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
Universal has done a great job at expanding and should get praise, but they are not Disney and never will be. Just waiting in line for the Harry Potter ride and seeing that huge white building the ride is in proves that. Universal can build great attractions but they will never have the brand or overall holistic experience like Disney Parks do.

That being said I think the attractions will open in the following order (only including the ones we know are going to happen):
Rivers of Light
Frozen
King Kong
Universal Waterpark
Star Wars
The Potter facade certainly isn't perfect, but it's what on the inside that counts. ;)
And Lord knows it's better than Beast's model on a hill. Come to think of it, Disney has a good number of showing façades.
But you are right about the overall brand; Disney will always win that contest, even with Potter on Uni's side.
that's fine, that's your right. At the end of the day however, Disney is a business and shareholder return is the number 1 priority.
Well, we definitely agree on all that.

Last edited:

R W B

Universal's parent company, Comcast has had~12% appreciation in stock price since last year...Disney is~23%. Yes, universal does it and their shareholders aren't benefiting from it as much. Disney's are.
Idk if theirs any way of knowing for sure but I would think a lot of Disney's growth since last year would be directly related to the Frozen franchise and that alone would be why Disney grew much more then Comcast. Comcast isn't losing anything and they still had a decent gain though.

Bairstow

Rivers of Light
Frozen
King Kong
Universal Waterpark
Star Wars

Let's not pretend Disney doesn't also have its share of huge, visible show buildings.
where-2011-06-15-a.jpg

Tom Morrow

Posts like these should start being issued warnings. "They are not Disney and they never will be!" = "because I am too dense to recognize that Universal plays up different strengths." Absolute immersion is obviously not their top priority as much as creating a fresh, fun, and exciting atmosphere.

*Universal builds most envelope-pushing attraction of the last decade* "oh well this isn't that good, you can see the show building."

*Disney builds copy/pasted omnimover and underwhelming family coaster with one show scene* = "Wow! see, this is why Disney is the best no matter what!"

*One effect on a ride at Universal doesn't work* = "See, Universal just doesn't have the quality experience that you get at Disney!"

*Disney operates nearly every E-ticket attraction with multiple broken or disabled effects for years* = 'yep, nothing beats Disney!"

Last edited:

xstech25

The Magic Kingdom hasn't added a major e-ticket in 2 decades and still gets more than twice the attendance of Universal Studios.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The Magic Kingdom hasn't added a major e-ticket in 2 decades and still gets more than twice the attendance of Universal Studios.
Magic Kingdom gets more attendance because of culture and because it far more family friendly than Universal Studios. They appeal to different crowds because they are completely different parks, Disney is "cute" and Universal is "thrilling."
Not to mention, most people visit MK 2 or 3 times during their vacation... so I wouldn't read too much in attendance numbers.

TXDisney

I wish they'd hurry up and put more countries in WS, that wouldn't seem to take as long. I know PR is supposed to go in full time, but there's room for plenty of more countries.

R W B

Of course alot of it of it is Frozen, but you can't discount that. Disney made a hit and is now capitalizing on it through rides, merchandise. Etc.. which by the way is the same thing Walt would have done but don't mention that to anyone here. I actually own both Comcast and Disney stock so I'm quite happy and I hope both companies continue on the path they are on. I want slowish capex, I want cost controls...means more to me. Other people want other things which is fine. Everyone has their priorities.
Disney had gold in their hands with Frozen and I'm not in any way upset with how they are handling it. I can only dream of putting a product out their and getting the feedback Frozen has given them. As long a people spend money it, give them all they want of it. It's only smart business to do that and Walt seemed like a smart guy so yes I agree, walt would do the same thing.

JohnD

If the choices are limited to Disney then the obvious choice is Avatarland. It is already under construction.

Bairstow

I wish they'd hurry up and put more countries in WS, that wouldn't seem to take as long. I know PR is supposed to go in full time, but there's room for plenty of more countries.

Never gonna happen unless Brazil or Belgium or South Africa or wherever coughs up the money.
...which ain't gonna happen.

xstech25

From a consumers standpoint, how is that a good thing?
I'm not saying it's a good thing from a consumers standpoint, all I said was Disney will never be Universal and the next guy that posted jumped all over me. So then I just stated a fact to support my point, and now i'm getting jumped all over again. I'm just stating a fact and take from it what you will.

Tony Perkis

I'm not saying it's a good thing from a consumers standpoint, all I said was Disney will never be Universal and the next guy that posted jumped all over me. So then I just stated a fact to support my point, and now i'm getting jumped all over again. I'm just stating a fact and take from it what you will.
You're right. Disney will never be Universal. And I'm thrilled.

Universal put all of its creative juices into Potter, and Disney is value-engineering Frozen.

Tom Morrow

Because you did it in an obnoxious way, which I explained through theoretical statements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom