What WDW resort would you never stay at and why?

Stellajack

Premium Member
On our May visit, we traveled over to the Poly for breakfast at Kona Café. My husband said, "I wouldn't like to EVER stay here because it is SO noisy with too many children." The cavernous lobby seemed to amplify all the noise. The noise level at WL sometimes seems to be the same; yet AKL is just the opposite. We are not deluxe snobs, but the one deluxe we enjoy is the AKL. Otherwise, we will be with the "middle class" over at POR, where BTW there is no "internal bus system". I don't know of any such system at the moderates.

slappy magoo

On our May visit, we traveled over to the Poly for breakfast at Kona Café. My husband said, "I wouldn't like to EVER stay here because it is SO noisy with too many children." The cavernous lobby seemed to amplify all the noise. The noise level at WL sometimes seems to be the same; yet AKL is just the opposite. We are not deluxe snobs, but the one deluxe we enjoy is the AKL. Otherwise, we will be with the "middle class" over at POR, where BTW there is no "internal bus system". I don't know of any such system at the moderates.
Helpful tip - if you stay at the Poly, you won't be sleeping in the lobby. ;)

Hockey89

I love Animal Kingdom Lodge, but I don't see the point in paying upwards of $300 a night for a hotel room that I literally only slept in for maybe 7 hours while spending the rest of my day out and about. Sure, deluxe resorts have perks, like proximity, amenities, etc. but I don't think that they are worth an extra $200-$300.
Couldn't disagree more...

Hockey89

The Boardwalk resort. Went there once to visit the boardwalk and we got some serious looks down people's noses. We were all dressed rather well and we were more than well behaved. I guess the group of old bittys that kept looking down at us knew we were not staying there somehow. I have only ever felt "unwanted" at two places on Disney property. This one and the next one (below).

The Grand Floridian. Too many snooty people. Not all, but still too many. This on top of the fact that as a guest to the resort I was forced to park on the other side of a busy road next to the maintenance sheds and jog across the road on that insanely short crosswalk light.
Do you know the term projecting?

G00fyDad

Do you know the term projecting?

Yes I do. Thanks for the lesson offer though. There was no "projecting" there at all.

And btw, the question asked which resort I would never stay at and why. I answered. If you don't like it then maybe you should keep quiet about it and don't enter a thread that asks a question like that. ;)

Hockey89

Yes I do. Thanks for the lesson offer though. There was no "projecting" there at all.

And btw, the question asked which resort I would never stay at and why. I answered. If you don't like it then maybe you should keep quiet about it and don't enter a thread that asks a question like that. ;)
Having stayed at all three properties on the boardwalk area, you would have to be on the floor naked and barking like a dog to get noticed... People at Disney don't dress up at all and people are loud...Sorry... If you were dressed well and acting normal. I don't believe it. From you post above it screams projecting....

G00fyDad

Having stayed at all three properties on the boardwalk area, you would have to be on the floor naked and barking like a dog to get noticed... People at Disney don't dress up at all and people are loud...Sorry... If you were dressed well and acting normal. I don't believe it. From you post above it screams projecting....

Honestly buddy, I don't really care what you believe. It happened. Let me give you a little clue here.... if you did not see a problem with the looks we got from that group of women then maybe you're part of that same problem group. And maybe, just maybe the mature response from you (not that anyone here asked for yours) should have been "Maybe it was just that group of old women that were like that because I have stayed there and not everyone is like that." But you go ahead and keep being you. That is so much more enjoyable for everyone around you.

DisneyJunkie

For one, I would NEVER stay again in any of the resorts that have its own internal bus system. I can't stand the extra wait having to hit multiple bus stops before going out finally to my destination OR the extra wait again on the return before I get to my bus stop so I can get to my room. I do enough waiting in line for the various attractions, if I can cut out one altogether with resort buses, I'm all for it. My one experience staying in a moderate resort (Caribbean Beach) is primarily behind my feelings on that. It is also behind my feelings on not wanting to stay in another WDW resort in which it may require outdoor walking just to get to my room or to the main facilities for eating/shopping (again, another negative to moderates and value resorts). I just don't want to have the weather affect whether or not I'm going to go to one part of the resort or not. On the other hand, I have stayed at a deluxe resort (Boardwalk Inn) and wouldn't necessarily want to stay there again also because you have to go outside and over to the bakery just to refill your mugs, a problem when it may be pouring rain outside. That's primarily why I would always gladly stay in a deluxe like Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary (also because of their proximity to MK). I also love the Polynesian, though realizing that the weather can have a bit of an affect there too.......but it has far too many perks that outweigh that negative for me to mind too much. Another resort I would not stay in (even though it has some of the things I truly want: monorail, close to MK, room is within the main facility, etc) is the Grand Floridian. It simply is not my style or preference in theming at all, and I do feel it's probably the most pretentious resort in all WDW. Just walking around within it (apart from noticing how its facade of "high class" is mixed with some low class materials, designs and decor) there's an air of some guests there thinking they're the "creme de la creme" because they stay there, as if anyone else who doesn't stay there is just poor trash. I'm not saying everyone who stays there acts or feels that way, but there have been more than enough that I've noticed on my visits there that it makes the whole place a real turn-off for me.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I love Animal Kingdom Lodge, but I don't see the point in paying upwards of $300 a night for a hotel room that I literally only slept in for maybe 7 hours while spending the rest of my day out and about. Sure, deluxe resorts have perks, like proximity, amenities, etc. but I don't think that they are worth an extra $200-$300.
Maybe you need to rethink how you vacation at WDW. If you have been multiples times already, there is no reason to "commando" the parks anymore. Hit a few favorites in the morning, then head back to the resort to relax and spend some quality pool or nap time. Then head out in the evening for a few more favorites that have been secured with FP+. Remember that it is supposed to be a vacation.

Matt_Black

Maybe you need to rethink how you vacation at WDW. If you have been multiples times already, there is no reason to "commando" the parks anymore. Hit a few favorites in the morning, then head back to the resort to relax and spend some quality pool or nap time. Then head out in the evening for a few more favorites that have been secured with FP+. Remember that it is supposed to be a vacation.

And that's not even taking into account what time of year you go. My last trip was in October of 2013; between the crowd levels and clever use of EMH, I had more than enough time to hit everything I wanted to.

DisneyJunkie

They do have a very good point, though. You're paying thousands of $$$ for the vacation itself, with the biggest chunk going to stay in the Disney resorts. Personally, I couldn't reconcile paying that kind of money and then taking time off in the day to do things I can do at home for free (go swimming, take a nap). We've been to Disney many times, and still love the "commando" approach to it because that's just how we roll. I think I feel that I get my money's worth by doing it that way. We know what we want to see and do (or skip), and love park-hopping every day to do them all.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They do have a very good point, though. You're paying thousands of $$$ for the vacation itself, with the biggest chunk going to stay in the Disney resorts. Personally, I couldn't reconcile paying that kind of money and then taking time off in the day to do things I can do at home for free (go swimming, take a nap). We've been to Disney many times, and still love the "commando" approach to it because that's just how we roll. I think I feel that I get my money's worth by doing it that way. We know what we want to see and do (or skip), and love park-hopping every day to do them all.
I'm sure there are lot's of people like yourself that still commando the parks, even after many visits. Just not for us, especially after buying into DVC many years ago. Now we slow down and smell the roses.

As far as swimming and napping, that was a very small list of the things that you can do at most of the deluxe resorts. At AKL, you can fill an entire week long vacation without ever visiting a park, and have plenty to do besides swimming and napping. And AKL was the resort the poster I responded to mentioned.

Disney.Mike

Any value except the aoa family suite, to small and low end for me . I generally like the moderates the best just because if the theming

daisyduckie

For one, I would NEVER stay again in any of the resorts that have its own internal bus system. I can't stand the extra wait having to hit multiple bus stops before going out finally to my destination OR the extra wait again on the return before I get to my bus stop so I can get to my room. I do enough waiting in line for the various attractions, if I can cut out one altogether with resort buses, I'm all for it. My one experience staying in a moderate resort (Caribbean Beach) is primarily behind my feelings on that. It is also behind my feelings on not wanting to stay in another WDW resort in which it may require outdoor walking just to get to my room or to the main facilities for eating/shopping (again, another negative to moderates and value resorts). I just don't want to have the weather affect whether or not I'm going to go to one part of the resort or not. On the other hand, I have stayed at a deluxe resort (Boardwalk Inn) and wouldn't necessarily want to stay there again also because you have to go outside and over to the bakery just to refill your mugs, a problem when it may be pouring rain outside. That's primarily why I would always gladly stay in a deluxe like Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary (also because of their proximity to MK). I also love the Polynesian, though realizing that the weather can have a bit of an affect there too.......but it has far too many perks that outweigh that negative for me to mind too much. Another resort I would not stay in (even though it has some of the things I truly want: monorail, close to MK, room is within the main facility, etc) is the Grand Floridian. It simply is not my style or preference in theming at all, and I do feel it's probably the most pretentious resort in all WDW. Just walking around within it (apart from noticing how its facade of "high class" is mixed with some low class materials, designs and decor) there's an air of some guests there thinking they're the "creme de la creme" because they stay there, as if anyone else who doesn't stay there is just poor trash. I'm not saying everyone who stays there acts or feels that way, but there have been more than enough that I've noticed on my visits there that it makes the whole place a real turn-off for me.

Doesn't it strike you as odd though that one resort with multiple bus stops is a negative, but you will gladly stay at a resort where the buses go to multiple resorts instead? Sure the contemporary has one bus stop, but if you need a bus to the Disney Studios it will stop at other resorts on the way.

DisneyJunkie

Doesn't it strike you as odd though that one resort with multiple bus stops is a negative, but you will gladly stay at a resort where the buses go to multiple resorts instead? Sure the contemporary has one bus stop, but if you need a bus to the Disney Studios it will stop at other resorts on the way.

Good point, I hadn't considered that. But generally, I don't use the resort buses that often. Being close to the MK, we usually go there for a while, then take the monorail to the TTC and then again to Epcot, and from Epcot take either a bus or the International Gateway boat to DHS or AK.

halltd

For one, I would NEVER stay again in any of the resorts that have its own internal bus system. I can't stand the extra wait having to hit multiple bus stops before going out finally to my destination OR the extra wait again on the return before I get to my bus stop so I can get to my room. I do enough waiting in line for the various attractions, if I can cut out one altogether with resort buses, I'm all for it. My one experience staying in a moderate resort (Caribbean Beach) is primarily behind my feelings on that.
The only resort with an internal bus system is Fort Wilderness. The moderates have the same bus that takes you to the park and then it makes multiple stops within the resort. You don't have to get off and wait for another bus. There's an internal bus if you want it...but you don't take it to leave the resort...you'd only take it to go to the lobby, etc...

Mrhappyplace

I'm in the never say never camp. Some resorts don't appeal to me but if the price was right and it worked in best with our plans. For example my wife and I were strongly leaning towards AKL or Beach Club/Yacht Club for our next trip but when looking over options it became apparent that Bay Lake Tower was a better choice. The Contemporary does not really appeal to her or me but the price (with renting dvc points) & location with what out objectives were for the trip (Christmas decorations at various parks and resorts mostly) it really seemed to be the way to go.

Resorts low on appeal to me are
Grand Floridian - too stuffy
Pop
AllStars

DisneyJunkie

The only resort with an internal bus system is Fort Wilderness. The moderates have the same bus that takes you to the park and then it makes multiple stops within the resort. You don't have to get off and wait for another bus. There's an internal bus if you want it...but you don't take it to leave the resort...you'd only take it to go to the lobby, etc...

Agree to disagree on that one. If a bus hits multiple stops within the same resort (which guests there can use to get from one place to another within that same resort), I consider it an internal bus system. I prefer there to be only one bus stop at my resort where I get on/off before it leaves the resort and heads elsewhere.

epcotisbest

Agree to disagree on that one. If a bus hits multiple stops within the same resort (which guests there can use to get from one place to another within that same resort), I consider it an internal bus system. I prefer there to be only one bus stop at my resort where I get on/off before it leaves the resort and heads elsewhere.
Funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom