What was the original Journey into your Imagination?

Lores

I haven't visited WDW since 1994, and the Imagination ride was still the original. I heard rumors that the new sucks, and then I heard that, even with figment in it, it still sucks.

I visited the site mentioned up there and, even when the guy tries hard to say it is good, the rides sounds awful to me. Boring and pointless. The original was great!

So sad... I hate to watch the great rides go. I hate more to watch the old great rides being replaced with new awful ones. It's like Hollywood: noisy, big-bang visual mediocre movies replaced great movies.

Son sad, I repeat

Connor002

Original Poster
I'm up in the northesat, so we only go every 4-5 years. As a kid we didn't spend much time in epcot because it was still "educational" and we didn't like that much. Basicly, we only went around the countries, and by the end of the day we just didn't feel like going into future world and doing the few rides and such there(except for SE). I never saw any of the other JIIs, so i have nothing to compare it to. Even so, I still felt it was cut off and short, like there was something more that they just weren't showing. Thanks again for all your help.

FigmentJedi

Just because old Future World was educational doesn't mean its boring and all kids should stay away, lest there minds be expanded. The old rides were cool, funny with excellent effects and not relying on movie characters or three minute thrill rides. Examples of excellent attractions of the past include JII, Cap'n Eo, Bird and Robot, the stuff in WoL, Horizons, Kitchen Kaberet

a2grafix

Wow, after reading all about this ... it's a shame, but I can't really feel it because I have not visited Disneyworld since August 1993. I guess I will always have to cherish the memories and the "imaginantions" until the next time.

But just thinking about Epcot and Disney in general, this whole WDW Magic forum conjures up great memories for me and I"ll always have Disney close to my heart.

But going back, and hearing the theme music just opened the "senses," lol, for me. I forgot that Figment took your picture and the Dreamfinder posted it in the screen near the end of the ride.

The ride in itself was special and with the imagination second floor play area, the interactivity and the Captain EO 3-D movie, the whole pavilion was awesome and you could spend hours in there. It was great for a kid like me growing up in the 1980s in elementary and high school. Epcot then, and now, is still cool.

Wonder if the pavilion is still sponsored by Kodak. Hmmmm? Anyone know?

I've gotta pull out my early/mid 1980s vacation photos. There are many taken at Journey and I believe there are a few with my sister and Dreamfinder with the small Figment on DF's shoulder.

"E-mah-Gi-Nay-Shun ... "

MissM

Yes, Imagination is still sponsered by Kodak.

If you have any old photos of the ride, Figment or Dreamfinder, please share! I know many of us would love to see them. :)
-m

Figments Friend

Yes, please do!

I am a serious enthusiest and longtime fan of the original. Imagination was the greatest attraction ever created in Imagineerings' long and sparkling exsistance. Absolute genuis. Nothing like it had ever been seen before and sadly will never be seen again. If you were lucky ride through this yourself firsthand, the experience remained with you long after you left the park and went home. I still have it forever burned into my memory...of course the loop recordings and videos help a lot too!

The amount of effort and execution that went into the attractions' production was absolutely incredible. Nothing was left out..everything was perfected presented and it was a true wonder to behold. Words cannot describe it, but i think this may do: It was not a ride pre say...it was a life-changing, soul-inspiring experience.

I highly recommend finding a good quality video of it before the orignal closed in 98'. Trust me, you will be amazed at what you see....if you just use "your Imagination"! The current attraction is better then the first makeover, but is still crap when compared to the original!

When will the big wigs learn...originals are always better then sequels!!

mkepcotmgmak

Wow

Tahu said:
Here's the greatest JII site out there which has a video of the greatest Disney ride in history that I never got to ride.
www.figmentsimagination.com
And you were around when it was open. The original closed in 1998 shortly after Mr. Toad went to hell for the last time.

i just watched that video... and i can't believe they took that out! more than that, i can't believe they replaced THAT with crap version number two, and then with mediocre crap version number three!

THAT LOOKED LIKE ONE OF THE BEST DARK RIDES ON PROPERTY! I know Kodak had something to do with it... but why did they pull the plug?!?!?

Figments Friend

Beleive me, it WAS the greatest attraction on Property!

Like i said above...there was nothing like it ever made before...on so many levels! There were 60 effects ALONE created just for this ride thru!! Absolutely amazingly.

The most incredible thing for you young folks may be the fact that this ride used none of high tech things most attractions today feel nessesary to use to entertain there audiences. Imagination had all of these incredible sights, sounds, smells, and enveloping enviroment created by late 70's technology. When you watch your video version of it, you won't see any annoying lcd screens or stale sets. No sir.....all you do see is spectacular!

Everything is alive with color and movement..."Small World" i would say is the closets in this respect. The rooms of that your Omnimover ride vehicle goes thru are filled with so many things that you have to ride it at least 15 times in a row to see everything. To this day, when i watch the old videos of it, i spot things i missed way back then! It takes real talent and a brilliant sense of showmanship to be able to do that. Add to that two wonderfully entertaining characters, Dreamfinder and Figment, and the entire package was a showstopper from the first moments to the last.

This is what "Disney" was all about is'nt it?

Connor002

Original Poster
In responce to Tahu:

It's not that we didn't like future world, it's just that by the time we finished world showcase we were tired and things just don't seem as appealing (I was really young) after all that. We always went on spaceship earth, but just never felt like trying the other things.

SirGoofy

I honestly watch the video of the old ride once a day. That wasn't a ride, it was an experiance. Great story, great music, beautiful sets, MEMORABLE characters(something most new rides lack), and wonderful AAs. There will never be another JII. It was the best dark ride on property, maybe second to PotC or HM, but it was amazing. You could always here people humming "One Little Spark" throughout EPCOT Center, and that's something I really miss. If you can't tell, it was my favorite ride of all time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SirGoofy said:
That wasn't a ride, it was an experiance. Great story, great music, beautiful sets, MEMORABLE characters(something most new rides lack), and wonderful AAs..

As were all the original main Futureworld attractions!

Connor002 said:
its not that we didn't like future world, its just that by the time we finished world showcase we were tired and things just don't seem as appealing (i was really young) after al that. we always went on spaceship earth, but just never felt like trying the other things

That`s why EPCOT Center was billed as a 2 day park. How happy was I when dad bought the 3 park 5 day hoppers??!

Since1976

Just re-watched the video of the original ride on figmentsimagination.com...

It really makes me feel homesick...Weird that...

I've said it many times: I don't mind if they replace old attractions -- as long as the new one retains and expands upon the original's spirit. In the case of JII, the replacement was like swapping a filet mignon with a squished hamburger from McDonald's.

PurpleDragon

Since1976 said:
I've said it many times: I don't mind if they replace old attractions -- as long as the new one retains and expands upon the original's spirit. In the case of JII, the replacement was like swapping a filet mignon with a squished hamburger from McDonald's.

LMAO!!! Thats the best description I've heard yet. Yes the original ride was a masterpiece of art, design, and showmanship. The imagineers spared no expense to make that attraction the most amazing, awe inspiring experience in the park.

To this day I still have no idea why Disney chose to remove such a beautiful work of art and replaced it with such a piece of crap. The second and third generations of this ride are a complete insult to those of us who were fans of the original ride. To take something so beautiful, so loved, and so amazing and replace it with a half-assed attempt at a ride, just feels like a slap in the face to fans of the attraction, as well as creators of the original.

The loss of the original version of this ride is an absloute tragedy, I can't even ride the current verison cause it only makes me depressed to see that they gutted such a beautiful attraction for the current waste of space they call a ride. I watch videos daily of the original attraction, that way its beauty will always be fresh in my memory.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
PurpleDragon said:
To this day I still have no idea why Disney chose to remove such a beautiful work of art and replaced it with such a piece of crap..

Part of Kodaks sponsorship stated the ride was to be updated by the Millennium. The original turntable in the Dreamship sequence and track layout caused problems from day one (the ride was 5 months late opening.) Although not strictly a turntable, the diameter was so large of this rotating set piece it had began to warp. The ride vehicles would slow and bunch up WEDWay style in this scene, each set rotating inwards in each of the 5 identical sets, all the while continuing to move forward sideways to the track, at the same speed as the rotating set. For this to happen, the cars had to align perfectly with the rotating set. Needless to say, this didn`t always happen, and was a problem never fully fixed. Guess which part of the original track was eliminated? Rumour has it rememanants of the rotating set are still in the building, buried under the present queue and load areas. The pit the set was built in was obviously filled in - see if you can spoit any undulations in the queue floor!

Also, Kodak have the rights to Dreamfinder, Disney Figment. Why they couldn`t get them both together is anyones guess, but I suspect Dreamfinder didn`t fit in with the Imagination Institute concept for the whole pavilion. Especially with Eric Idle being dragged in from next door to have a continuous theme throughout the pavilion.

I know, I know. C**p.

dixiegirl

Tahu said:
Here's the greatest JII site out there which has a video of the greatest Disney ride in history that I never got to ride.
www.figmentsimagination.com
And you were around when it was open. The original closed in 1998 shortly after Mr. Toad went to hell for the last time.

lmao....love the way you worded that...mr toad going to hell!!!lol you guys always make me laugh ..here.

MKCP 1985

I guess I am old enough to have been able to have gone on the original many times and remember it pretty well. I just watched the video link and surprised myself at how many images are retained in the subconscious. Watching that clip was like being reacquainted with an old family photo album or something similar.

When you see what once was, it brings home just what EPCOT has lost in its efforts to remake itself.

Figments Friend

Yes, EPCOT has indeed lost so much.

It is still my favorite Park, but i think that primarily comes from the nostalgia factor. Just being there in the environment conjures up all these bubbly feelings of inspiration and excitement in me.I think this is because i start to relive all the fond memories i have of the place. Once i start going on some of the "redone" attractions my giddy feeling is somewhat diminished when i see what has replaced the classics i so adored.

The World of Motion...to Test Crap

Journey Into Imagination...to above mentioned crap!

Horizons....to Mission Thrill ( crap)

The original Land attractions....the list goes on.

Where is the inspiration? Were is the sense of amazement and wonder? When you ride the "new" versions of these old shows, they don't seem to do anything in those departments. It comes off as a cheap thrill and it is soon forgotten by most Guests. Guests did not forget the Classic rides at EPCOT. They still rememeber them. They want to share them with the children they now have....but they can't and it's a shame really. Instead we have pointless thrill rides or cheap cover versions. Argh!

JII was to Epcot what COP was to DisneyLand, and is now to WDW. It is indeed a terrible shame that such wonderment had to be stuttered in the name of "improvement".

Perhaps the new version better reflects today's world and today's average Guest attention span. I sometimes have to think, standing among the "gavestones" in front of SSE, perhaps it's a sign of the times.

Perhaps there is no imagination anymore .......( sigh)

Thank God we still have Spaceship Earth pretty much intact. Let's hope when it goes down for rehab it will not suffer the same fate and wind up on the above list!

MKCP 1985

Figments Friend said:
Yes, EPCOT has indeed lost so much.

The World of Motion...to Test Crap

Journey Into Imagination...to above mentioned crap!

Horizons....to Mission Thrill ( crap)

The original Land attractions....the list goes on.

Where is the inspiration? Were is the sense of amazement and wonder? When you ride the "new" versions of these old shows, they don't seem to do anything in those departments. It comes off as a cheap thrill and it is soon forgotten by most Guests.
I wouldn't go THAT far. I haven't soon forgotten the blastoff of Mission:Space, and my friends who've just returned can't stop talking about Soarin'. Even though it is overhyped, I still like Test Track better than the original motion, and I like Mission:Space, although I wish Horizons was still around. By most accounts, Soarin' gives the Land a needed boost from what was previously a snoozer of a pavilion, and I hear nothing but good things about Turtle Talk with Crush. So, apart from Imagination, I like what EPCOT is doing to make itself relevant to the big picture.

We all have to be careful not to become old cranks who see only great things in the past and fail to see that the attractions of today are tomorrow's classics. :wave: (But the original Imagination is much better than its replacements - of that, there can be no dispute!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom