What to Order? -- Lunch at Coral Reef

wdwwdeagle

Original Poster
My teenage daughter was given her choice of restaurants for lunch in Epcot for her birthday next month. She has chosen Coral Reef.

I know the restaurant gets mixed reviews on here, and this will probably be the only time we eat there, so I wanted some suggestions on what to order.

There are four dishes listed on the menu that I thought I might like for lunch:

1) Appetizer for Two -- If I got this, I would order it as my meal. It has crab cake, shrimp, a beef skewer and creamy lobster soup. I thought it might be kind of like a tasting platter.
2) Rainbow Trout w/warm arugula and white bean salad
3) Lobster ravioli
4) Wild Mushroom Lasagna

So, has anyone had any of these? What did you think? Is there another dish you would recommend instead of these?

Dads 2 Boys

The Wild Mushroom lasagna is fantastic!!!! :) It's not a typical lasagna in that there is a little crunchiness and not in a "burnt noodles" way. It makes me way to damn hungry right now thinking about it. :lol:

Also, it's not too heavy for a lunch dish.

wdwwdeagle

Original Poster
Blackened Catfish - served over pepper jack cheese grits, with tomato marmalade, and basil oil
Funny! Five replies, with five different suggestions!

Interesting, cornandacobb, that you mention the catfish.... it was actually on my list when I originally posed my question, and then I went back and looked at a more recent menu, and realized the catfish has been replaced by the trout dish. I thought the catfish dish looked good, too, but no longer on the menu.

Pioneer Hall

Funny! Five replies, with five different suggestions!

Interesting, cornandacobb, that you mention the catfish.... it was actually on my list when I originally posed my question, and then I went back and looked at a more recent menu, and realized the catfish has been replaced by the trout dish. I thought the catfish dish looked good, too, but no longer on the menu.

The fish choices change with the seasons. The grits though are terrific.

sarajo

The Lobster Bisque is "to die for"- a must for me any time we eat at Coral Reef. My other fave is the blackened catfish. It has always been on the menu when we've been there, but we are always there during the winter. If it's on the menu, it's quite delish!! Enjoy :)

bluejasmine

The Lobster bisque is the very best! When we went for lunch in 2008 I had the lobster bisque with lobster salad and it was very good! Plus we had two baskets of bread, and I got the chocolate wave and since it was our honeymoon a champagne toast oh and I almost forgot the two octopus juices (pina colada with chambord) that were to die for! We left very full!

French Quarter

I'll be curious to hear how you like it. I've never eaten there because of the bad reviews but I think my sun would get a kick out of the atmosphere. So, I'm thinking of going there some time, if only for dessert. I look forward to your review.

cornandacobb

I'll be curious to hear how you like it. I've never eaten there because of the bad reviews but I think my sun would get a kick out of the atmosphere. So, I'm thinking of going there some time, if only for dessert. I look forward to your review.

We ate there for lunch two years ago.
The wait was AWFUL despite arriving on time for our reservation.
However, it was well worth the wait. All of us enjoyed our meals. Plus, the scuba divers had a special message from Grandma and Grandpa for my kids. Then the scuba divers came out of the tank in their wetsuits for a meet and greet. Quite memorable.

We're going back this fall without hesitation.
Judge the restaurant (or any for that matter) for yourself. Everyone's tastes differ. If the menu appeals to you, go for it. Some people are upset McDonalds closed at DW. Others prefer a nice piece of fish. To each their own.

The Incredible Schmulk

Blackened Catfish - served over pepper jack cheese grits, with tomato marmalade, and basil oil

The catfish is no longer on the menu. It's not a seasonal change, but a permanent change. Last time we were there, I asked our waiter if he knew why it was removed, and he told us that the chef could no longer get catfish that was good enough to meet his standards, so he nixed the entree. I liked it a lot, too, but alas, it is no more.

On the OP's list, though, I had the rainbow trout dish on that trip, and it was excellent. Some of the best non-smoked trout I've ever had.

DisneyJunkie

Coral Reef instantly became one of my favorite dining places when we tried it in January 2009. We've already made reservations to try it again this coming January on our next trip. I don't eat seafood, but they do have a fantastic chicken breast with bacon and spaetzel that is absolutely delicious.

wdwwdeagle

Original Poster
Post-trip report on our experience:
Well, we ate at Coral Reef for lunch on Sunday, and Mr. Eagle and I both went with the appetizer for two as our entrees. The winners there were the lobster soup and the polenta. The shrimp and crab cake were also good, but they really overcooked the beef skewer... to the point that the wooden skewer itself crumbled to a pile of charred ash when I touched it, rendering it nearly impossible to get the beef off the skewer.

My Eaglette, who generally eats like a bird, had the lobster ravioli, which she devoured, and proclaimed very tasty. I didn't get a chance to try it, but it must have been good since she ate it so quickly and thoroughly.

My Eaglet had the crab cake app., and the sweet corn chowder as his meal, and enjoyed those as well.

We had a great view of the tank -- front-row/lower level booth in the center of the tank, so we weren't smushed up against the glass, but could see most everything. It was a great table.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I would definitely eat there again, and would definitely order a bowl of the lobster soup, if I did. It was a pleasant surprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom