What to do with old/used/expired Magic Bands?

dreamfinder

....and if you lost it in between trips ...there is a $100 charge (not yet ...but just you wait and see)

Fairly certain some of the earlier documents/info posted did provide the replacement cost. Think for resort guests first one was free, and the second was $50, I think the APs just went straight to $50.

JerseyDad

Fairly certain some of the earlier documents/info posted did provide the replacement cost. Think for resort guests first one was free, and the second was $50, I think the APs just went straight to $50.

...wow ...a replacement cost? Really? ...heck ...I was just joking in my first post!! Am I really shocked though? .....nope.

(fyi ...I read ZERO of any literature, rules, regulations, warnings etc ...etc ...etc ...related to the MB's ....that's my wife's job ...I just drive the car to / from Fla )

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can guarantee Disney isn't paying a dime for those MagicBands. I am willing to bet the cost of those MagicBands is neatly tucked away in our package price

Hrmm.. well uhh... every company operating at a profit 'isnt paying a dime' for anything by your logic. The customer is paying for it all.. and more.. hence the operating at a profit vs a loss.

dreamfinder

...wow ...a replacement cost? Really? ...heck ...I was just joking in my first post!! Am I really shocked though? .....nope.

(fyi ...I read ZERO of any literature, rules, regulations, warnings etc ...etc ...etc ...related to the MB's ....that's my wife's job ...I just drive the car to / from Fla )

There is a cost associated with it, and that cost is greater than a few cents (cost for a new KTTW). They can see a guest losing one, but I bet they are concerned with people trying to get all the different colors. If you are staying in the resort, it's a sunk cost just like DME. But if you are an AP they have no way to recoup the cost, so they charge you for it.

JohnD

Of course, they could save a lot more money if they weren't sending out booklets with custom magnets, and flash drives, for every single reservation. We have 3 of each now for our Feb/Mar triple-split-stay.

Received mine yesterday for the April trip. My last trip over Veteran's Day weekend was spur-of-the-moment. I found great rates for All Star Sports through Orbitz and booked on 10/30, so no time to send a magnet/flash drive. MB was waiting for me at the resort.

luv

I threw mine away. If I stay in their hotels again, they can give me another one. :)

OK SO YOU GET A MB. YOU LINK EVERYTHING VIA YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN AS SOME HAVE SAID YOU THROW IT AWAY.
QUESTION WOULD YOU THROW YOUR HARD DRIVE IN THE TRASH? WOULD YOU THROW YOU OLD CREDIT CARD IN THE TRASH?
FOLKS THE MB HAS SOME MEMORY AND IT PROBABLY LIKE MOST MEMORY DEVICES NEVER REALLY CAN BE CLEANED OF ALL INFORMATION.
BTW YOU CAN USE IT FOR FUTURE VISITS. IF YOU HAVE AN ANNUAL PASS LINKED YOU CAN USE IT FOR ANY VISIT. DID YOU LINK A CC TO IT? DID YOU UNLINK IT? DOES UNLINKING IT REALLY REMOVE IT?
SORRY BUT I DO NOT KNOW ALL THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE BAND THUS I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HOW I HANDLE IT.
Could you refrain from posting in Caps Lock? It's much more difficult to read.

SMS55

Nope the bands are reusable. They have a 3 year battery I believe
Thanks for answering. I was going to ask and I forgot. I am a pass holder. We just got back like an hour ago but we are going back at least once maybe twice before my seasonal expires.

Rob562

Thanks for answering. I was going to ask and I forgot. I am a pass holder. We just got back like an hour ago but we are going back at least once maybe twice before my seasonal expires.

You'll be able to reuse the Bands with your Seasonal Pass, even if you aren't staying at a Disney resort on your future trips. (You should still have access to FP+ online)

-Rob

Texas84

We ended up with two sets on our last trip and we gave the extra set to the front desk. Wonder if they recycle them?

dreamfinder

We ended up with two sets on our last trip and we gave the extra set to the front desk. Wonder if they recycle them?

More than likely they trash em. They can't reuse them since your name was etched on it. I thought someone took one apart earlier, and the RFID stuff is basically just sitting in the plastic. No moving parts, so no need to enclose/separate it. The rubber/plastic is injected around the guts, making it a pain to separate try to recycle.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
You'll be able to reuse the Bands with your Seasonal Pass, even if you aren't staying at a Disney resort on your future trips. (You should still have access to FP+ online)

-Rob
This is correct. We upgraded to Seasonals at the end of our October trip and just made a trip last weekend (off-site :jawdrop:) and used our October MB for our admission and FastPasses.

I have a trip booked in May, which I know I'm going to change as soon as codes are released, and don't want more Magic Bands sent to me.
I think I'll just ignore the "customize" part of My Disney Experience and hopefully they wont ship them.

As a stock holder, I hope they fix the multiple band bug quick because even if you think it's "built into my package", there is a cost associated with these, even if it's just the shipping. People are throwing away my money!:greedy:

RonAnnArbor

Currently, just deactivate your old ones and throw them out -- or keep the one you want, or the color you like. All that is on them is a serial number. Use the one you want on your next trip and deactivate the others. My Disney Experience has a link to tickets and wristbands where you deactivate any old ones.
For the record, I've had 4 separate bands since testing began earlier this year -- the information about my annual pass and tickets automatically carries over to the newest band they mail you -- since all it has on it is a serial number which is associated with you, they can put any information onto your number that you want and just transfer that number to your new band.
As stated by Rob above, there is NO INFORMATION on your magic band -- the only thing there is your serial number linked to the Disney computer system.

Disney Daddy

Hrmm.. well uhh... every company operating at a profit 'isnt paying a dime' for anything by your logic. The customer is paying for it all.. and more.. hence the operating at a profit vs a loss.

Isn't that the way businesses make money???? It doesn't make sense for any company to take on the added cost of things like MagicBands when the cost can easily be passed on to the customer. This isn't a Disney thing...this is a corporate America thing. Calm down....I'm not attacking beloved Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't that the way businesses make money???? It doesn't make sense for any company to take on the added cost of things like MagicBands when the cost can easily be passed on to the customer

Your statement of "I am willing to bet the cost of those MagicBands is neatly tucked away in our package price" is kind of redundant. Of course it's tucked into the price the customers pay... that's where the company's revenue comes from (what customers pay) and how how companies pay for things. I tihnk what you are trying to get at is about new price increases to cover new costs vs the company taking a hit on margin to pay for new things. But ALL their costs are 'tucked away' in what they charge us.. unless they are running at a loss :)

jlsHouston

The manager at the BWI told me that the bands were reusable, in fact I had two sets during out stay over Thanksgiving, first set from WL stay and second set from the days at BWV. So I had a pink and an orange one and I alternated wearing them into the parks depending on what I wore that day and they always worked for park entry and for FP+.....I saved all of ours...next time I am ordering yellow for me....or maybe red...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom