What to do with 15 month old?

LaceyLC

Original Poster
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but after we park the stroller, what do you do with your small toddlers? I have a 3 1/2 year old who will walk no problem, but my (now 12 mo) doesn't walk yet and will be new to it when we go in a few months. Do we just carry him or would it be best to wear him (Bjorn is what I have)? And do I wear him on the rides that have no height restriction? Any other tips for kids his age? Thank you!

Weather_Lady

You can wear your baby on just about any ride that doesn't have a height restriction, and I would certainly recommend a carrier for when you are standing in line with him. If you need to remove him and set him beside you on the seat when you board the attraction, a CM will let you know (better yet, simply ask a CM as you approach the loading area, so you can be sure of using the safest arrangement).

SAV

You are going when it is hot out(90 degrees+), do you really want to "wear" another human being? It seems like it would be extremely hot for both of you. We had our kids there around that same age and they both just stood there with us or we would carry them occasionally if needed.

basmal8

I have a little chunker, so personally, we couldn't wait until he walked! Now 19 months, he is all over the place. I would say "wear" him as needed, but get one of those backpack leashes. I used to think "who puts a leash on a child??" "Irresponsible/lazy parents should teach and care for their child instead of restraining them"... that was until I had my second child. No fear and will do things to spite you, including running into traffic. Thankfully, she is now 3.5 and with a little "fear of God", she no longer runs into traffic. But, for my now youngest, the 19 mos old, allowing them the freedom to move about on their own, while not having to carry all 30+ pounds of him, I think the properly sized backpack "leash" is very appropriate. You can still hold their hand as needed, but it gives them the ability for a little "by myself" time, which all toddlers thrive on. And, considering the amount of time you are talking about could be lengthy, but a fairly confined space, this may be an option for you. Good luck.

boilerpicc

We took our daughter at 15 months, and she was not walking yet. We tried to keep her in the stroller as much as possible, and we mostly used a carrier in the lines. Sometimes we would just hold her, but your arms can get tired if the lines are long. She could walk a little bit if we held her hands, so we did some of that too. We spent a lot of time in the waiting area for the Flying Dumbos. There is a little playground section specially made for toddlers. She spent a lot of time playing on the slide there. She could hold onto it and walk around the side from the bottom to the ladder. It was a great place for her to burn off some energy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but after we park the stroller, what do you do with your small toddlers? I have a 3 1/2 year old who will walk no problem, but my (now 12 mo) doesn't walk yet and will be new to it when we go in a few months. Do we just carry him or would it be best to wear him (Bjorn is what I have)? And do I wear him on the rides that have no height restriction? Any other tips for kids his age? Thank you!
I did a Bjorn style carrier for my youngest rug rat for more than a dozen trips. I have also tried carrying, walking and pretty much every other way to carry an infant/toddler and the Bjorn is by far the best way.

It leaves both hands free which is quite helpful when boarding attractions and it will put your child up at an elevation where he/she can see which seems to keep them happy. You can also flip them around when they conk out.

LaceyLC

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses! I think I'll bring the Bjorn and see how it goes. I can always change my mind if it does get too hot for us. He will be such a new walker that I don't think I could count on him walking more than being carried.

NelleBelle

My favorite memory of DW was when we took our then-15mo who took some of his 1st steps at Epcot. We originally had a baby bjorn but it was killer on my back! Then we got this carrier that held him on my waist (which is where I'd normally hold him) so it made him a little less heavy to hold in line. It was small enough it could be rolled up and tucked in the diaper bag. Most of the rides we did had fairly short lines so it wasn't too much of an issue. One of our best time at the world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom