1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do if kid gets separated

Discussion in 'WDW with Kids' started by Minnie1986, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

1. One strategy I picked up somewhere is to tell your lost kids to look for "a mommy with a lot of kids". I think it's smart, because even relatively small and/or scared kids can understand when they see another family about, and there will be even more families than CMs. It's safe, because I don't think there's any chance a family is going to turn into kidnappers and human traffickers when they discover a "straggler". And who wouldn't help a lost kid?

2. You can get a passable, new, unlocked cell phone for around $50 nowadays. You could get a cheap phone, set them up on Facebook Messenger or some other program that you teach them to use, and an 8YO can probably grasp it well enough to find you again. They would love being able to carry the phone around as a camera, and the adults could use it as an emergency cell phone in case the main one breaks after the trip. It's not perfect... they could lose the phone, break it, the wi-fi in the parks isn't perfect, etc. but at least FB Messenger will keep trying to send its message until it gets a connection.

DisneyBound2017 likes this.
  2. Driver

Driver Active Member

All many good ideas. When asked we tell parents
    1- tell your child to go to one of the people with the name tag ( and show them a tag an a CM) it's ok to get a CM's attention for this.
    2- use your phone and take a fresh pic every morning
    In the panic of seperation it easy to forget a shirt color or detail a pic doesn't forget and if needed a pic can be sent out to other CM's who probably already have your child. CM's are instructed to tell the child "mommy is lost, your here with me!) many times this calms them. The network is incredible and on average the seperation is mere minutes. Which may seem like eternity but the CM's are sensitive to this.

3. Minnie1986

Minnie1986 Well-Known Member Original Poster

The picture thing is brilliant. Thanks. And he definitely knows my name, because he is one those kids that will say it a thousand times to jokingly try to annoy you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    helenabear and 21stamps like this.
  4. Minnie1986

Will definitely do this!

5. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! (Insert quote from other thread) ;)

6. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

Minnie1986 likes this.
  7. Minnie1986

Yup! That's him!

helenabear likes this.
  8. Weather_Lady

Weather_Lady Well-Known Member

When the kids were little, we:

(1) all wore the same color shirt every day, so it was easier to spot each other in the crowd in the first place;
    (2) applied Safety Tats to both kids' arms (temporary tattoos on which you can write your cell phone number, hotel, or any other information you desire, with a Sharpie) (EDIT: I see they're already discussed above!); and
    (3) instructed the kids that if they were to get separated from us, they were to approach the nearest CM (a costumed person with a nametag -- we played a "pick out the CMs" game the first day so they knew what to look for) and ask them to call the number(s) on the Safety Tats. The kids were also old enough to be able to recite their names, our names, and the name of our hotel, if asked.

Also, whenever we were heading anywhere through a crowd, we each took a child's hand. We also accompanied them into every restroom. (We have one boy and one girl, so this one-to-one ratio made it easy. YMMV depending on the number/gender of your children.) Fortunately, we never needed to rely on those things as we didn't get separated, but it was a relief to know that we had a strategy in place.

9. Minnie1986

Thanks, everyone! What I've decided to do is purchase one of those shoe tags that loops through the laces with both our names and my phone number. I'm also going to take a pic of him everyday before we leave the hotel, as well as instruct him to find the nearest CM (I love the point them out game idea). Hopefully, this covers all of my basis.

10. buseegal

buseegal Active Member

the same colored shirts backfired for one family at the park I work at. day they came big day camp group had the same shirts and one of the kids got off a ride and just joined that group following the shirts. took both groups a little to figure out what happened. mother was complaining at lunch why did she have to pick that color as no one in her group liked that color and this big group must have got the same deal on them as she did

11. Kcnolan21

Kcnolan21 New Member

I like the Safety tattoo, but I am always a last minute person and always forget to order them in time. My son has special needs, our go to is writing his name and our Phone number on his arm in pen and then use liquid bandaide to cover it. Works well and doesn't come off in the water or sweat!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017