What size shells do they use at Epcot?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I always wondered what size shells they used in illuminations, it looks to me that there only allowed up to 2 inches maybe 3 but they don't disappear as fast as a regular 2 shell

Last edited:

Meegsman

Illuminations uses mostly 1.5,3,4, & 5" shells, cracker bags, mines, and candles. Keep in mind Disney fires with compressed air (as opposed to lift charges) so heights can be adjusted to gain the best coverage/impact. I wouldn't be surprised if some larger shells are used occasionally but considering the distances to spectators I wouldn't bet on it. Wishes at MK used some larger shells (10, 12') but fired them from the firing area behind the park.

Chef Mickey

Only 3 shells are air launched across the whole property. The first 3 of RoE.

Everything else are powder launched.
What would the credentials be to be a fireworks expert at Disney? I mean the people actually loading them and responsible for safety, maintenance, shower quality, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What would the credentials be to be a fireworks expert at Disney? I mean the people actually loading them and responsible for safety, maintenance, shower quality, etc.
Must pass ATF checks and be over 21. Start as a trainee for on the job training, after initial training. Followed by courses plus refresher courses and checks each year.

On top of the usual CM training.

danyoung56

Only 3 shells are air launched across the whole property. The first 3 of RoE.

Everything else are powder launched.

Once again I must be a terribly annoying person and question you on this, marni. I have no personal evidence one way or the other, but it sure seems like the finale launches of IllumiNations are the same as the 3 you mentioned above. And I've heard many times over the years that they've moved to air launches over powdered. So I have to ask you, what's your source for your statement? Thanks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Once again I must be a terribly annoying person and question you on this, marni. I have no personal evidence one way or the other, but it sure seems like the finale launches of IllumiNations are the same as the 3 you mentioned above. And I've heard many times over the years that they've moved to air launches over powdered. So I have to ask you, what's your source for your statement? Thanks.
My source are the guys who load and run the show.

RoE went complete powder after supply issues with the ALF Shells. It went back to the ALF trio a year or more ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That makes sense, that it was more air shells in the past but changed relatively recently.
To be clear, when RoE started it was only the first 3 shells that were air launched. The first shell launcher was moved from the UK to the Gardens stage rooftop but was still ALF. And the rest of the show was always powder.

ALF was discontinued for a while and the whole show was powder launch.

ALF returned but still only the first 3 shells. The rest of the show is still powder. As is Wishes, SWAGS and Fantasmic.

danyoung56

To be clear, when RoE started it was only the first 3 shells that were air launched. The first shell launcher was moved from the UK to the Gardens stage rooftop but was still ALF. And the rest of the show was always powder.

ALF was discontinued for a while and the whole show was powder launch.

ALF returned but still only the first 3 shells. The rest of the show is still powder. As is Wishes, SWAGS and Fantasmic.

If this is the case (and I have no reason to doubt you), then the idea of ALF has been way over-assumed.

Phonedave

Must pass ATF checks and be over 21. Start as a trainee for on the job training, after initial training. Followed by courses plus refresher courses and checks each year.

On top of the usual CM training.

I would also assume that if someone really wanted to do this, some prior experience as a fireworks tech would not hurt. Many of the larger companies that do multiple shows - things like 4th of July, hire and train temporary help for times when they are running multiple events. Granted, they pay very little, if at all, but if somone is looking to get their feet wet , so to speak, it is an option.

-dave

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If this is the case (and I have no reason to doubt you), then the idea of ALF has been way over-assumed.
The fan assumption of ALF use has been far too big.

ALF was only implemented in 1999 to disguise the fact there's a shell launch at the start of the show. The comet appears mid flight with no tell tale fuse trail, the duel Big Bang launches virtually silently again with no trails. It was all for the show.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, the concept of ALF is largely redundant at WDW. It is expensive and complicated to run, so isn't really used.

The misconception that ALF is used everywhere seems to be widespread though.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I'm surprised that they can use 5 inch shells in a space that tight, by me the legal viewing is 100 feet per inch of the shell, Idoubt those barges arrant 500 feet away from the water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom