What should NOT have been replaced?

yensidtlaw1969

firedancer2000 said:
I'll say that they never should have replaced the old Tiki Room show. I can't remember the actually Tiki Room song any more!!!
Jose: Ole, ole it’s show time.

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room

Jose: All the birds sing words

Michael: And the flowers croon, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Jose: Welcome to our tropical hideaway, you lucky people you. If we weren’t in the show starting right away we’d be in the audience too. Altogether

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Michael: And the flowers croon, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Fritz: I sing so beautiful, I should sing solo.

Jose: You’re singing so low we can’t hear you.

Pierre: My voice might not be so marvelous, but my profile is out of this world.

Michael: Yea ho, but the trouble is it’s not far enough out of this world. Isn’t that right Herr Smith.

Fritz: Whoo, whoo I see Smith has no hair.

Jose: Me amigos stop the cl__________g, you sound like a bunch of old hens. There’s a lot of birds waiting to go on. For instance

Michael: The boy’s in the back are called macaws.

Jose: Because of their claws?

Michael: No because they macaws, and our fine feathered friend is a jolly toucan, and two can sound better than one toucan can.

Bird chirping

Jose: The bird of paradise is an elegant bird. It likes to be seen, and it loves to be heard. Most little birdies will fly away but the Tiki Room birds are here everyday.

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room

Michael: And the flowers croon

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Jose: Our magnificent production is yet to come, so strum the guitar, and beat the drum. We’ve been a hit and we know you adore us so come on and join us in another chorus.

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Michael: A little softer

All birds: All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Michael: A little louder

All birds: In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.

Jose: Let’s give the little birdies a great big hand.

Pierre: Ye Applaud, applaud.

Michael: Ahh, you down there with both hands.

Tara Mae

I think there weremany rides/attractions that should not have been replaced.

For example, Horizons...I miss that ride horribly, and every time I watch old home movies, when you hit that orange grove, I can smell those oranges, and it makes me want to cry. I have heard too many horror stories and bad reviews of Mission Space, that I wish Horizons would come back.
Also, World of Motion. I'm not complaining about Test Track or anything, but even as a young child, I loved World of Motion, especially the parts where you travel through the tunnels of fire and wind.
The two previous mentioned rides have always been my favorites...though, as a young adult, I am upset that they have been replaced. I loved them as a kid, and probably would love them more today as an adult, now that I know more about history of what these rides were about.
I also wish Journey into Imagination were brought back to the original....I like the new one, but not as much. :(

Michael C

One Lil Spark said:
As much as I'm going to get bashed for this -- WoM should not have been taken down for Test Track.

I couldn't agree with you more. Test Track was fun the first couple of times, but I don't see where it can go from here. World of Motion could have been altered or updated through time. It was alwasy on of my favorites, and I loved the view as you rode up the incline before the vehicles entered the building. WoM and Mr. Toad were what I missed most last time I went to WDW. At least you can do Mr. Toad at Disneyland, but there's no more WoM. :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don`t worry Lil Spark - you won`t get bashed here! You and Michael C are so right. WoM could easily have been updated, and Test Track built in a purpose-built building. Maybe between WoM and Horizons. Which should have not been demolished. There is more than enough room here...

Mission:Space could have gone between The Land and The Living Seas (since Stormriders still hasn`t got past the gossip stage). Journeys in Space -the original name - was in planning in the late 80`s when Horizons was still relativley new and would not have been knocked down. I see another `why did they REALLY demolish Horizons` thread coming on...

MCMike37

dxwwf3 said:
4. Illuminations - I think Reflections of Earth is a nice show, but it pales in comparison to the original, IMO. Everthing about the original was special and The way each nation was featured and the use of "lasers" was wonderful. I hope a new form of that show replaces ROE in the future.

This is number one on my list. I loved the original so much more then the 25th anniversary show or Reflections Of Earth. While not a bad show, the whole video thing goes on waaaaay too long and I think overal the show was much more visually impressive.

Of course, I miss all the classics, Horrizons, World Of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, I can understand the desire of Disney's behalf to update the rides. While I would agree they are now much more for the Amusement park group, they have lost the classic Diesny feel in some aspects.

A few other thigns to note. I also like the original Spaceship Earth track, as well as the original Hall Of Presidents speech with Lincoln.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Well - Im new here so this is my first post.

As you can tell by my avatar Horizons is obviously going to be on my list. My reasons are long and drawn out and are nothing that hasnt been said on this site a thousand times before - so long story short, closing Horizons was a huge mistake.

Another ride that I will always, always miss is 20K. Its inevitable deemise would have been one thing, but to shut it down and let it sit there ready to run again for years? Bad, bad show.

WoM has to make the list as well. How can you replace "the bird and the robot"? The answer - you cant. Test track is extremely dissapointing in my opinion - and I truly believe I could say that even if it hadnt replaced WoM. TT just isnt a satisfying ride. But as with all opinions, they are just that.

Ive been reading on the site for a long time - glad to finally be posting.

Walter

Horizons78 said:
Well - Im new here so this is my first post.

As you can tell by my avatar Horizons is obviously going to be on my list. My reasons are long and drawn out and are nothing that hasnt been said on this site a thousand times before - so long story short, closing Horizons was a huge mistake.

Another ride that I will always, always miss is 20K. Its inevitable deemise would have been one thing, but to shut it down and let it sit there ready to run again for years? Bad, bad show.

WoM has to make the list as well. How can you replace "the bird and the robot"? The answer - you cant. Test track is extremely dissapointing in my opinion - and I truly believe I could say that even if it hadnt replaced WoM. TT just isnt a satisfying ride. But as with all opinions, they are just that.

Ive been reading on the site for a long time - glad to finally be posting.

Welcome here! We Horizons fans make up a large group! Closing it's definately one of things that Disney will have to live down, but it will take a while.

kevmagkingdom

Account Suspended
SNS said:
Pooh could have gone in some other place. As for the lines, you have to consider the amount of people that can ride at a time.
Right! I mean why replace good old Mr. Toad? I LOVED IT!! Pooh could've gone in place (somewhat) of 20K Leagues as Pooh is not that large a ride. In my opinion. I like it, but I think they needed better planning. Or since Pooh came just b4 the Skyway closed, they could've thought ahead, and if they knew they'd be closing the Skyway, they could've put pooh where the Fantasy Skyway Station was/is.

MicBat

SNS said:
Why would you get bashed for that? There's tons of people that prefer World of Motion over Test Track (myself included).
I worked there and I agree... along with a lot of the other people that worked there! As for me, my top choice would have to be Horizons. Much better than Mission: Space b/c it was good for the family to enjoy together and you got to choose your ending!! :lol:

General Grizz

Original Poster
There are only 3 attractions that I thought should NOT have been replaced:

1. Enchanted Tiki Room: The new version is totally rude and obnoxious. It didn't really change attendance in the long term. Iago and rap music? Please!

2. Diamond Horseshoe Revue: Goofy's (failing) Dance Show replaced talented performers for NO REASON. Now that Goofy has failed, a MEET AND GREET is in this area. Give me a break!

3. Kitchen Kabaret: This show was just too perfect. It could never be outdated.

Now, as for my three FAVORITE attractions of all time: Journey into Imagination, Horizons, and World of Motion? I cannot 100% say that they should not have been replaced. Horizons and JII had structural issues (if this were not the case, Journey into Imagination should NOT have changed). World of Motion became slowly outdated, and I would say update it, don't turn it into a thrill "warehouse." Now, Mission Space and Test Track are GREAT for what they are. But the more Disneyesque attractions are definitely World of Motion and Horizons. It would be ideal - absolutely ideal - if we could have all four.

But I'm sticking my guns to Kitchen Kabaret. There was just no reason. (Hope I don't have to put Cranium Command next to it. . . )

MicBat

General Grizz said:
3. Kitchen Kabaret: This show was just too perfect. It could never be outdated.

But I'm sticking my guns to Kitchen Kabaret. There was just no reason. (Hope I don't have to put Cranium Command next to it. . . )
I totally agree with you on this one, Grizz! I dont really remember much of it, other than the "veggie fruit fruit" song and having a cup, but I downloaded a video of the show recently and thought it was definitely quality. Sort of a mix between CBJ/CoP/etc. Along with that, I downloaded "Food Rocks." That's a whole other story. Bottom line, Kitchen Kabaret shouldn't have been replaced by Food Rocks which shouldnt have been replaced for an E Ticket Queue!

General Grizz

Original Poster
MicBat said:
I totally agree with you on this one, Grizz! I dont really remember much of it, other than the "veggie fruit fruit" song and having a cup, but I downloaded a video of the show recently and thought it was definitely quality. Sort of a mix between CBJ/CoP/etc. Along with that, I downloaded "Food Rocks." That's a whole other story. Bottom line, Kitchen Kabaret shouldn't have been replaced by Food Rocks which shouldnt have been replaced for an E Ticket Queue!
You are so right!

Do you see a trend?

CLASSIC SHOW --> HALF-@$$ed SHOW --> CRAP

KITCHEN KABARET --> FOOD ROCKS --> GIFT SHOP or QUEUE

DIAMOND HORSESHOE --> GOOFY'S DANCING --> MEET AND GREET

TROPICAL SERENADE --> TIKI ROOM UNM --> ???

JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION --> JIYI/FIGMENT --> ???

MicBat

General Grizz said:
You are so right!

Do you see a trend?

CLASSIC SHOW --> HALF-@$$ed SHOW --> CRAP

KITCHEN KABARET --> FOOD ROCKS --> GIFT SHOP or QUEUE

DIAMOND HORSESHOE --> GOOFY'S DANCING --> MEET AND GREET

TROPICAL SERENADE --> TIKI ROOM UNM --> ???

JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION --> JIYI/FIGMENT --> ???
I just hope to see old mentionings of KK in soarin'. That will be fun!

Amsi

Does anyone know that happened to the old JIYI ride pieces, etc? I'm hoping they didn't trash them all. See my signature. I'd have to agree with the ones who said that it should not have gone.

As for Horizons, I'm too young to even remember that ride. From what I hear, it was wonderful. Is that the one where you choose where you want to go or something? Mom says I rode it when I was 7 or 8, and I seem to remember buttons like that...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Your memory serves you well. Horizons had a `choose your ending` with incar buttons to select your choice. PS welcome to the boards!

One of the Dream Machines ended up in... whats the shop called on World Showcase prom at the link to Futureworld??

If you have a premium membership to WDWMagic there are tribute videos to both these rides and more (no plug intended ;-))

MicBat

marni1971 said:
Your memory serves you well. Horizons had a `choose your ending` with incar buttons to select your choice. PS welcome to the boards!

One of the Dream Machines ended up in... whats the shop called on World Showcase prom at the link to Futureworld??

If you have a premium membership to WDWMagic there are tribute videos to both these rides and more (no plug intended ;-))
Are you talking about the two tower buildings at the beginning of WS or the two closer to the fountain of nations?? And what exactly from Horizons is there????

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
SpaceMickey said:
I am still not happy that 20,000 leagues under the sea was taken out...........I loved that ride!
You want to talk about love for a ride? Alrightythen.

I turned to my grandparents and told them (Now I was a kid, forgot the age), when the Cm told us they had closed the ride that "I wanted to go home and never come back to Disney"

October 18th, 1998 was my first time back to Disney. May 22nd 2002, I was hired as a CM........

Which proves that you can never stay away from Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom