What should NOT have been replaced?

johnvree

I am going to miss AE. But I need to see how good Stitch is before I judge. AE did seem a little out of place in the MK.

20,000 wasn't replaced. It should have never been closed, especially if the lagoon was going to sit there empty.

My vote would go to Horizons. :cry: This is the one attraction that I really miss and makes me sad when I think about it. This would have been a good one to ride with my kids.

3IdAlienKid

originally posted by cloudboy
3. Tiki Room. Not that I don't think the show shouldn't have been changed at all, but Iago? This really should be updated better (but wait until someone who CAN do a good job with it is in power!)
I agree. While I do have a strong sense of nostalgia toward the original Tiki Room, I don't necessarily enjoy it all that much. I definitely think it needed either an update or replacement, but I have to say that the New Management is generally a terrible show, and makes me wish for the original one back. They really should have taken more time on this one.

awallaceunc

Originally posted by meeko_33785
I can honestly not think of a single attraction that Disney should have never replaced that they did. IMO, all of the attractions that were replaced or rehabed into something else were dated and needed a change. The only possible exception I can think of is the Monster Sound Show at MGM. While I would have liked to see it replaced, I think they could have had a better replacement than Sounds Dangerous or the ABC Sound Show.

I remember reading a while ago that there some protests over the ride, though I can't remember why. It may be that they protested its closure.

Didn't there used to be a Toon Town Race Track or something like that? I can vaguely remember it from when I was a child, and when Toon Town was actually cool, and Roger Rabbit-themed. It may now be the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway... I'm not sure.

-Aaron

Laura

Premium Member
This is making me so sad! Some of these rides I barely remember.

I'm the most angry over what they did with Journey into Imagination. That was my FAVORITE ride and they ruined it. At least they kept Figment.

I totally forgot about the airplane ride that used to be where Buzz Lightyear is.

I miss Mr. Toad a lot, but Pooh is sort of fun.

I wish 20K was still around because I was too young to remember it last time I got to ride. I wish I could remember.

I'm GLAD the Tiki birds were refurbished. That was very boring before the makeover. I laughed hysterically the first time I saw the new show because I didn't know it had been changed and it surprised the heck out of me.

I miss Kitchen Kabaret. "Veggie Fruit Fruit, Veggie Veggie, Fruit Fruit...."

I miss Horizons and World of Motion of course. Why couldn't they just build AROUND them??

It seems like Disney is trying to turn itself into another 6 flags or something lately!

I wish AE was never replaced. It probally would have worked better in CDL because they have wilder rides anyway and considering the proximity to LA, I'm sure many of the children are desensitized anyway. Although WOM had some nice scenes, it was definetly the weakest of the AA attractions. Horizons, on the other hand, was a shame to see go. Not to say that it didn't need some updated technology like most of these rides do after so many years, but not to be completely replaced although if you believe the story that the structural integrity of the building was comprimised, then it needed to be replaced anyway. I'm still hoping for an updated version though, where you feel like you are actually in the scene instead of just looking at it.

Frees Fan

Mr. Toad was an awesome ride. I really miss that...I'd ride it again if I could and I'm 37. I never got to ride 20K Leagues Under The Sea. Every time my family came down (5 times from 1975-1984) it was always broken down or being painted or something.

aimster

Originally posted by Snapper Bean
1. SuperStar Television: Right now I think MGM is actually a weaker park than Animal Kingdom. SuperStar Television was always, held a huge amout of people and would have been very easy to update with new clips. I presume that huge theatre is just sitting there vacant.

I agree on this one. This show will always hold a special place in my heart because I was picked to do a scene one time (the scene from Cheers) and I even had a line. It was a total blast and I would love to see this show come back in some form. I do believe they updated it briefly (added a scene from Home Improvement and a couple other shows). It's a great way for guests to become the "stars" even just briefly. I love interactive stuff like that.

Gurgi

ok an i just say that journey to imagination could have been kept and maybe just updated with the cool effects. The new ride is sad sad sad! Its just an empty ride. theres nothing much to it. I go on it to see Figment ( although mostly by screen with a tack new voice :( he must be chillin out in a disney cruise somehwere!

The original had such an amazing message! Imagination is what made Disney! and Figment was a perfect example of that

Toads is great and ill agree that its mstly on memories although i only rode it prob once cause i was so small but we can ride it in DL so thats makes it even more special. Im not a fan of pooh but the ride is cute. Ive seen the one in DL but not been on it. The outside is great theming!

AE was a great scary ride and illdef miss it

Dreamflight was again another childhood memory but when i was old enough to say it wasnt cool enough it had gone so i guess thats why i miss it

The one I will defo miss is Cof P when its taken out of service !!

That is an amazing ride.
Ill actually miss Spaceship earth if they ever take the awsome bumpy ride ot cause its got so much thought and imagination to it! Itll Prob be replaced by some Wild rollercoaster ride which would be awsome but its about the great ideas of imagineers not about the speed.

Anyways im going off on some tangent......:)

surfsupdon

The Main Street Flower Market need not have been replaced by an expanded gift shop. Not even any new merchandise in that shop. It's like a slap in the face.

dxwwf3

My list would have to be based on my opinon, not what Disney should have done for business. And it will also be based on comparing it to the attraction it was replaced by.

1. Alien Encounter :lol: - Here is the one exception to my rules. It really doesn't matter to me how good SGE turns out as far as this rating goes. AE is in a whole other level from any other attraction for me, so I'm sorry but it has to go number one on my list.

2. Journey Into Imagination - I honestly do like the two attractions that replaced it (Yes even Journey Into The Imagination). But comparing those to the original is is painful. They are not even close.

3. Horizons - I was looking forward to M:S as much as anyone, and I expected a much more thrilling and intense ride. Maybe I just have a high threshold for thrill rides, but I was disapointed nonetheless. I have warmed up to M:S considerably after about 50 rides, but I would still trade Horizons for it in a heartbeat.

4. Illuminations - I think Reflections of Earth is a nice show, but it pales in comparison to the original, IMO. Everthing about the original was special and The way each nation was featured and the use of "lasers" was wonderful. I hope a new form of that show replaces ROE in the future.

5. Superstar Television - I was never a HUGE fan of this show, but I think it was a very important piece to the MGM Studios. It gave people a chance to make wonderful Disney memories. The show that replaced it "Doug Live" was probably my least favorite show of all time (Well if not it's right up there with Tarzan Live). And now how is this wonderful theater being used? That is one of the big reasons why I put this ahead of things like World of Motion, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Dreamflight. This space is dead now. There's no excuse a replacement hasn't been put into place yet.

dxwwf3

martinthesparta said:
I wish AE was never replaced. It probally would have worked better in DL because they have wilder rides anyway and considering the proximity to LA, I'm sure many of the children are desensitized anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure it would take a WHOLE lot more than binural sound to scare kids from LA.

flyersmv

i think all the rides that got taken down should have....i mean think about it.....what do u think disney did? jus said hmmm lets just take down (for example) MR TOAD because theres nothing better.....but they took it out b/c they thought that it was outdated or not meeting disney expectations or what ever......for everyride they took out they have had a reson for it..so techniqually they should have all been takin out

MichRX7

Premium Member
While I do miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (where else could you see Disney , make sure you enter the left-side queue) I have to admit that Pooh is a much better done attraction. I keep my hopes up that some day The Toad will return in an updated fashion, but I don't hold my breath for it. It was great to be able to ride it in DL on our last trip.

Other things I miss...I miss when you could only get to MK via Monorail, Ferry, FW Boat or Tram (well, unless you were at the Contemporary). For some reason it loses a pinch of magic when you see all those busses parked out front. It always seemed like a faraway place you could only reach with a bit of magic. Now you can get there with a puff of diesel fume.

Also, I miss the original Mission to the Moon. Though everything in that building has been superior I just miss sitting in those seats, hearing everyone scream when they rumbled and lowered and watching the earth get smaller and smaller near your feet.

I think I'm one of the few who didn't really care that the Tiki Birds went Under New Management. I caught the original show over in DL and enjoyed it, but I enjoy the new one as well. And I found that my two youngest like the new management tiki room better.

I miss the Mike Fink Keel Boats only because my parents never let me ride them and now I never will... Plus they and the canoes always helped make the area feel a bit more western. Now it just seems as if it's missing something.

Wow, almost forgot the Penny Arcade on Main Street. We used to spend hours in there with our shorts sagging down from all the loose change in our pockets. I remember they had a game that was an electronic dragon slaying game. You grabbed two brass knobs and held on while you got an increasingly stronger shock put through you. If you held on long enough a little knight would move left-to-right and slay a dragon. We used to get all the cousins together, hold hands and the two end people would grab the knobs and see which cousin would wimp out first. It must have been pretty funny to see all of us standing in a semi-circle holding hands and laughing.

Most of all I miss 20k. While it was always one of the longest lines in the park I really loved pretending we were diving deep underwater, trying to look up from my porthole and also trying to see if I saw anything I missed the last time I rode it. The subs were so cool and I think they'd even look cool today. I wish that Joe guy would sell a complete sub on eBay I'd put in a pool in my backyard and drop it in there, then I'd draw scenes on the pool walls to remind me of the original ride and on really hot days I could go into the sub, start the audio and pretend I was young again and riding 20k.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Mich - this sounds so much like vintage WDW.... ahhh! I miss it too. Flight to the Moon AND Mission to Mars! I agree with you so much about the busses to the MK; if only the monorail expansion had gone ahead. BTW - did you know originally there were no ferry boats to the MK from T&TC? Only monorails.... imagine that on a surprise entry morning!

MichRX7

Premium Member
Yes, I do remember that. My first trip was in 1972 (shhhh...I was really young)

The lines were super long for the monorail all day long. I even remember riding in the monorails at D-Land with the bubble on top. I either remember it or I remember watching old videos of my Dad's with us there...lol

I can also remember when everyone in the world didn't know about riding with the monorail driver. As I got older I always loved telling families with younger kids to go up and ask to ride with the driver. Probably one of the reasons I love this forum so much. It's an instant return to the magic to tell a new wdw visitor something they didn't know. :)

Emzy

Captain E.O!! I loved it as I'm a big Michael Jackson fan!
I loved The Hunchback of Notre Dame show in MGM as well.....:(
I really loved The Legend Of The Lion King but Mickey's Philharmagic! is a good replacement.

What shouldn't have been replaced

These are the rides I think should have never been replaced

1) Mr. Toads wild ride, I remember the first time I went on pooh, when it first opened when we were about to get off the ride I got a chant started "Bring back Toad! Bring Back Toad!" good times...

2) Horizons, yeah yeah mission space is awesome but they could have put that somewhere else, even tho horizons was falling apart they could have torn it down and rebuilt the same thing.

3) World Of Motion, once again test track is a great ride, but why replace world of motion? grrrr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom