What should be the next park icon for DHS?

What should be the next park icon for DHS?

• 150' tall Olaf

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • bigger Sorcerer Hat

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Tower of Terror

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Earful Tower

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Death Star

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • The Chinese Theatre

Votes: 68 32.4%
  • Statue of Mickey Mouse

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 150' tall Marshmallow - Character from Frozen

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Statue of Walt Disney

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • other

Votes: 15 7.1%

• Total voters

AintNoOtherMan

I said the Chinese Theater, but I'm also not sure how that would work out, given it's based off of an actual building in Hollywood. I'd assume that Disney would have the rights to put it on merch and all, but I'm not a lawyer. Even if they legally can, selling shirts with the Chinese Theater on it may be mistaken as advertisement for the theater, not DHS...

lazyboy97o

Tower of Terror is the natural choice as it is already icon-like. The Chinese Theatre is not recognizable enough to be used to symbolize DHS on maps, in ads and such.
Recognition would be gained from greater visibility, be it in the park, in marketing or on merchandise.

I said the Chinese Theater, but I'm also not sure how that would work out, given it's based off of an actual building in Hollywood. I'd assume that Disney would have the rights to put it on merch and all, but I'm not a lawyer. Even if they legally can, selling shirts with the Chinese Theater on it may be mistaken as advertisement for the theater, not DHS...
There are no rights issues.

FettFan

I could get behind having a 150' marshmallow in the park....as long as it wasn't the Frozen character.
Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

Goofnut1980

Maybe they will redo the front of the theater into a different icon.

FettFan

US Copyright law does not include architecture created before the Copyright Act was amended in 1976.

Which is why if you want to build a scale replica of the Chinese Theater or the Haunted Mansion or the White House, or Graceland...you're in the clear.

The only problem is Trademark Infringement....any promotional materials that Disney produces with the phrase "Chinese Theater" must specify that it is "A replica of the TCL Chinese Theater".

Also, there can be no signage on the building that refers to it as "Chinese Theater"....hence why all of the signage specifies that it is in fact "The Great Movie Ride".
0fd3c84fef1882bea26eda5a0c070cb6.jpg

As it's the replica of a real Hollywood Icon, the Great Movie Ride Building is here to stay. :)

Also, Disney never had any legal issue with other famous buildings in the parks....
3344465339_08f670fdc3_o.jpg

Good thing too because La Societe d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel would be.....le é royale.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
US Copyright law does not include architecture created before the Copyright Act was amended in 1976.

Which is why if you want to build a scale replica of the Chinese Theater or the Haunted Mansion or the White House, or Graceland...you're in the clear.

The only problem is Trademark Infringement....any promotional materials that Disney produces with the phrase "Chinese Theater" must specify that it is "A replica of the TCL Chinese Theater".

Also, there can be no signage on the building that refers to it as "Chinese Theater"....hence why all of the signage specifies that it is in fact "The Great Movie Ride".
0fd3c84fef1882bea26eda5a0c070cb6.jpg

As it's the replica of a real Hollywood Icon, the Great Movie Ride Building is here to stay. :)

Also, Disney never had any legal issue with other famous buildings in the parks....
3344465339_08f670fdc3_o.jpg

Good thing too because La Societe d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel would be.....le é royale.

Oui. Une tres e'.

G00fyDad

Wasn't the original icon the Earful Tower? So now that the BAH is bye bye, shouldn't Disney go back to the original? Which has the name of the park on it already.

- The Tower is tucked out of the way and sort of out of sight. Also, the park will be getting away from a "movie set" theme so keeping something that identifies as a movie set structure would not work well.
- The Chinese Theater is in the right position and has been used before as the icon. It could work as one again, but as I said they are supposedly getting away from the "movie set" theme so they may choose something else.
- The ToT is too far to the side (in my opinion) to be used effectively, but it could still work.
- The Death Star is not an originally owned Disney property or a Disney original so I doubt they would go that far. What if Disney ever sold the Lucasfilm franchise off? They would be stuck with a giant Death Star in the park. Besides, it would be too reminiscent of SSE.
- The statues of Walk or Mickey might work, but they'd have to be ridiculously tall to fit in line with other park icons.
- The Olaf and Marshmallow ideas are insane.

My money is on Disney either using the Chinese Theater or ToT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom