What Makes a "Real" Fan?

_caleb

Original Poster
Lately I've read a number of posts where people confess to all the shows/attractions they've never experienced, parks they haven't visited in decades, and general stuff they don't know about Disney. It's got me asking, "Why are you even on these boards? You've never been to the parks and you complain about all the movies– you're clearly not a fan!"

But then I remember that I'm not the judge of who is a fan and who isn't.

I'd like to get your thoughts– what are the "minimum requirements" for someone to be considered a Disney fan?

Jeremy P

I'm not a good person to weigh in on this as I often get irritated with people who say things like, "I love Disney too! My kids and I love Despicable Me"
I'm pretty sure I see red when I hear that. But also, I know I'm not as knowledgeable about Disney as other people on these boards. In fact, while I grew up going to Disneyland, I only took my first trip to WDW in 2013. We've been back every year since then but it's still not a long standing history with WDW. I try to keep things in perspective for myself lol

21stamps

I always think the whole "fan judging" is such a strange thing.

My thoughts are- Just because someone spends countless hours watching YouTube videos and obsessing over every decision made by Disney, does not make them more of a "fan" than the people who have been often and have so many life memories tied to WDW.

So in summary- TETO.
Another person's fandom has 0 amount of relevance to mine :)

Disney4family

Spending $20,000/yr at the parks.
upload_2017-8-28_10-37-37.jpeg
My daughter doing just that in 5 min in either Mouse Gear or The Emporium.

danyoung56

I think anyone who shows an interest is welcome. But their advice has to be somewhat qualified until they establish some kind of a track record. For instance, if there's a thread about any given restaurant, and dozens of people chime in with great reviews, and one person says that it's terrible and they'll never go back, well, we can discount the one bad experience as the luck of the draw. Or if someone talks about the Haunted House or that Tree thingie, it's pretty easy to see that they don't really know what they're talking about.

I am not strongly influenced by others' opinions, especially the naysayers. I look for the opinions of others on an experience that I have never experienced. Other than that, go ahead and post your opinions - I'll take my own advice, thank you.

Jedi Stitch

After spending twelve grand on the trip of the life time. Telling yourself this is the the trip of the life time. Saying you couldn't possibly afford another one for a long while.
But then as soon as you get back, you start thinking, "Hey I got an extra kidney laying around. Maybe I could sell it for the Bounce back"

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But then as soon as you get back, you start thinking, "Hey I got an extra kidney laying around. Maybe I could sell it for the Bounce back"
But that would be illegal. ;)

A true Disney fan doesn't have to be a WDW expert. If they're going to answer questions here, it sure helps, but certainly isn't required.

In my book, a "qualified fan" has at least half of the movies, has been to at least three different Disney locations (not just parks) multiple times, and owns (or has owned) DIS stock. Extra points if they've been on one or more Disney cruises, own DVC shares, and have been on a "Vacations by Disney" experience.

Po'Rich

I saw that thread as well and was shocked by how much many people have not done. Yet, I don't think "real" is the appropriate adjective to discuss. This just gets into subjectivity, which is a matter of personal opinion and not really beneficial to argue. Also, are we really going to label someone as a "fake" fan? Is the purpose to discuss which fans are somehow "better" than others?

On the otherhand, I think the term "knowledgeable" is a much more productive adjective. Here, we do have some posters who are more knowledgeable than others. For those who like to complain about parks but then also admit that they haven't done most of what is available (like the films at EPCOT or the treks at AK), then their views should be taken with a grain of salt. I tend to gloss over their views because they don't know of which they speak. However, we also have insiders who are quite knowledgeable. When they speak, I tend to listen.

KBLovedDisney

I dunno...does this count?

Untitled by Sean S, on Flickr

My two year old has been to Disney World 4 times, 5th in October.
AP on both Coasts
Been to Disneyland Paris
Know a bunch of useless facts

*shrugs*
Or how about this? BTW, finger tats hurt like the Dickens!
full

And I have a hidden Mickey too! (In the star cluster.)

When I get home from Disney, I immediately start planning my next trip. Think that qualifies me as a fan I believe.

21stamps

But that would be illegal. ;)

A true Disney fan doesn't have to be a WDW expert. If they're going to answer questions here, it sure helps, but certainly isn't required.

In my book, a "qualified fan" has at least half of the movies, has been to at least three different Disney locations (not just parks) multiple times, and owns (or has owned) DIS stock. Extra points if they've been on one or more Disney cruises, own DVC shares, and have been on a "Vacations by Disney" experience.

No, that's called Disney Obsessed.lol

You can be a fan without donating all of your vacation budget to the Disney Co.

_caleb

Original Poster
I saw that thread as well and was shocked by how much many people have not done. Yet, I don't think "real" is the appropriate adjective to discuss. This just gets into subjectivity, which is a matter of personal opinion and not really beneficial to argue. Also, are we really going to label someone as a "fake" fan? Is the purpose to discuss which fans are somehow "better" than others?

On the otherhand, I think the term "knowledgeable" is a much more productive adjective. Here, we do have some posters who are more knowledgeable than others. For those who like to complain about parks but then also admit that they haven't done most of what is available (like the films at EPCOT or the treks at AK), then their views should be taken with a grain of salt. I tend to gloss over their views because they don't know of which they speak. However, we also have insiders who are quite knowledgeable. When they speak, I tend to listen.
Great thoughts! I certainly don't mean to call anyone a "fake" fan! "Knowledgeable" much better. Your comment is exactly what I was getting at–I value the less-informed opinions less than those from well-informed (and heavily-invested!) fans.

jloucks

Lately I've read a number of posts where people confess to all the shows/attractions they've never experienced, parks they haven't visited in decades, and general stuff they don't know about Disney. It's got me asking, "Why are you even on these boards? You've never been to the parks and you complain about all the movies– you're clearly not a fan!"

But then I remember that I'm not the judge of who is a fan and who isn't.

I'd like to get your thoughts– what are the "minimum requirements" for someone to be considered a Disney fan?

There are some criteria I think should be part of any equation. They are mix-n-match

Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
Hours spent on holiday, dedicated to Disney
Dollars spent on any of the above
Hours spent discussing Disney

Platinum Level Fan

150 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
600 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
30,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
500 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Gold Level Fan

120 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
500 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
20,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
400 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Silver Level Fan

90 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
400 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
10,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
300 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Bronze

70 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
300 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
8,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
200 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Rookie

50 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
0 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
1000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
100 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

There are some criteria I think should be part of any equation. They are mix-n-match

Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
Dollars spent on any of the above
Hours spent discussing Disney

Platinum Level Fan

150 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
600 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
30,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
500 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Gold Level Fan

120 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
500 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
20,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
400 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Silver Level Fan

90 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
400 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
10,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
300 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Bronze

70 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
300 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
8,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
200 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Rookie

50 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
0 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
1000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
100 - Hours spent discussing Disney
Don't forget hours just spent Planning trips to Disney!

disneyworlddad

I agree with PoRich, I think people on this site tend to confuse Fan and Knowledgeable. In my opinion a fan doesn't really have to know anything. Are they really a Disney fan if the only kids movies they like are Despicable me, no they are not. However can a person love the (real Disney) movies but not know the difference between Disneyland and DisneyWorld and still be considered a fan, absolutely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom