What lessons did you learn from your first WDW trip?

BigHero4

This year marked the first visit to WDW for my family (me, wife and son - 4 year old). We stayed at All Star Sports. We spent a full day at HS, MK and DD, and had an absolutely AMAZING time. We planned the trip ourselves with only the guidance of the internet, and used the MDE website/app... and it turned out better than we could have imagined.

It's safe to say that I'm now addicted to Disney and trip planning, and I've already started planning a possible return trip in 2017 when our other son will be old enough to join. We plan to visit other parks and potentially use a park hopper on our return visit - although I'm sure much will change in a few years.

There are always things you can learn about planning a WDW vacation. What were some lessons you learned from your first WDW trip that you did different on you return trip?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

My first trip that I planned as an adult was our honeymoon in 2012. We had the deluxe dining plan included and I booked our ADR's based on places that "looked fun" without looking at menus. Everything was fancy and beautiful but after 3 days all we wanted was some "real food" if that makes any sense. Also there was WAY too much food included and it took a lot of time to sit down for each breakfast and lunch. We stopped ordering two appetizers and two desserts at every meal after the first day. So three big dining lessons learned:
1) No more deluxe dining plan for us. Too much food.
2) Always check out a menu first to make sure there is something you'd like to eat! :rolleyes:
3) Booking a sit-down lunch and dinner everyday really takes time away from the parks/ resorts... now we just book one sit-down meal per day for a nice rest and do what we please for the other meals!

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Not counting the trips from when I was a kid, but rather my first trip with my husband as adults.....our biggest lesson was to make ADR's. We didn't make any, and had no idea we had to. I didn't actually pre-plan at all. Every restaurant we thought looked fun was booked up. I said, we'll never do that again. We've been 180 day ADR people ever since. I also learned to not go during Spring break, and that there are better times to visit.

Upvote 0

maj

-snip-
There are always things you can learn about planning a WDW vacation. What were some lessons you learned from your first WDW trip that you did different on you return trip?

The good lesson: Not any trip will be like the last. We grew up with FortWilderness, which seemed to change each time. So far, as an adult, I've had a short family trip with the parents and sibling at CBR, a longer trip with family at AS-Music, and a solo trip for a compact StarWars birthday weekend at BV, a week of light thanksgiving escape at Swan, a packed holiday at BV with FP+ and a meal plan, a hard-ticket event, a dining-show combo, and a day-tour. Next trip won't be as intricate, I am sure. And that's exactly as it should be because it's vacation from whatever everyday you have. That CBR trip included my attendance at a conference in Orlando--stayed offsite for that and drove into MK at least twice before they got to Orlando. The AS-Music trip combined with a Shuttle launch on the coast, so the budget was smaller. Latest big intricate trip just kinda developed that way...wouldn't try to duplicate it. Some things are just magic. How else would a Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party be available same night as a MVMCP after so many refreshings? Just don't measure future by the past.

The not-so-good lesson: Also, I was the planner way back before the internet, had to get a new Birnbaum book from the bookstore every other summer, maps and highlighters, the whole thing...but not everyone cottons to planning and not everyone will say so until you're wearing your swimshoes and they're headed for a castle.

Speaking of shoes, alternate between two pairs of well-broken-in walking shoes (arch support, shock absorption, ventilation, secure lacings). I choose one color, two pairs...and simplifies whether to pack white or black socks. This sensibility won't fly with the younger kids; but for me, it's a good strategy for fewer blisters.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

That you can't possibly do and see everything that WDW has to offer in just one trip. Take your time, relax (remember - you ARE on vacation after all) and enjoy the sights and sounds of the parks at your own pace. If you don't see everything the first time, it gives you a reason to go back again. We went four times from March 2005 to March 2011 and still have plenty to see and do for the first time when we go in April 2015 (I'm looking at you Toy Story Midway Mania)!

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Booking too many meals never works for me. This year I paid $30 for a ressie that I canceled because we just weren't ready or hungry. We were there 8 days and I had 2 lunch and 4 dinner ADRs and canceled the one lunch.
Also, my own fault but OMG, I booked the Candlelight Processional Dinner pkg. and it was soooo expensive. We could have eaten for 2 full days on what that one meal cost! I didn't realize what I was getting us. 1 app, 1 entrée and 1 dessert each is just way too much food for us. I went away sick from too much food and the thought of what I'd spent on one meal that honestly wasn't worth it.

Upvote 0

lebeau

First trip, I knew absolutely nothing. I was one of those guys who didn't know Universal from Disney. I didn't even realize Disney had 4 parks. My brother bought me a copy of the Birnbaum Guide which I read before we left. That was the sum total of my knowledge and a lot of it was out of date. It could have been a disaster.

Fortunately for me, we were there in the off season back when they had an off season. It was September 2003 and there were virtually no Americans to be found. We were staying at AKL and it seemed like everyone had an English accent. The parks were deserted. So the fact I didn't plan wasn't too much of an issue.

When I got back and started reading up on WDW (and discovered this site) I discovered all the things I could have and should have done differently. Even though it didn't bite me, I learned the importance of planning.

Upvote 0

KB LUVS MGM

Our first trip was well thought out and planned in 2006. We parked it hard, however, by day 4 we were exhausted and decided to back off and take a more relaxed approach. Amazing what you see when you slow it down. We have been back 4 times since and we always have a plan, but have taken the same approach and have had the most enjoyable trips possible. So many memories!!

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Over exaggerate your budget if anything. Stay where is in your price range and convenient from the parks. Personallyid rather delay a trip longer to save more and stay deluxe, especially with kids. Booking advance and get your dining reservations ASAP. Same with fp+. Allow money for souvenirs. And if it's a 1st trip, stay atleast a week, and go off season, so u see everything.

Upvote 0

loriloughs

First trip to DisneyWorld was 1991. Has gotten more crowded every year we go. Used to stay off-property, but will only stay on-site now! Planning ahead is a must and we try do do something new on every trip - stay in a different hotel, splurge on an expensive dinner or some sort of other entertainment!

Upvote 0

magicsmoke

First trip to WDW was in 1976 on boot camp leave. I learned the food and drinks at Disney restaurants are worth the money so I budgeted one nice lunch or dinner for each day for my return trip in 2015.

Upvote 0

Doc Disney

Love this thread! I was a kid my first trip but I do remember how much time we wasted going off site to eat every meal! We realized when we added up the cost of the rental car (which we did use to drive to the parks but only before we realized how much easier it was to use buses for the most part) plus the amount we paid for offsite food we weren't really saving much money and just wasted a lot of time :) Last trip we did not have a car and ate on property and really enjoyed how it opened our eyes to new foods and new hotels (resort hopping for meals!). Also this upcoming trip we are going without my Dad which we would have never done in the past because none of us would have wanted to drive...thank you DME!

Upvote 0

DisneyRoy

Lesson #1: Stay value. The POR was nice, but WAY too large and the buses were inconvenient. We have been huge fans of POP ever since.

Lesson #2: Stay at the same resort as those traveling with you.

Lesson #3: Don't wake a 3 year old at 7 in the morning to try and make a Beach/Yacht Club character breakfast. It doesn't work out for anyone....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom