What lessons did you learn from your first WDW trip?

BigHero4

This year marked the first visit to WDW for my family (me, wife and son - 4 year old). We stayed at All Star Sports. We spent a full day at HS, MK and DD, and had an absolutely AMAZING time. We planned the trip ourselves with only the guidance of the internet, and used the MDE website/app... and it turned out better than we could have imagined.

It's safe to say that I'm now addicted to Disney and trip planning, and I've already started planning a possible return trip in 2017 when our other son will be old enough to join. We plan to visit other parks and potentially use a park hopper on our return visit - although I'm sure much will change in a few years.

There are always things you can learn about planning a WDW vacation. What were some lessons you learned from your first WDW trip that you did different on you return trip?

HollieS

I was in diapers for my first trip but my take away from those childhood trips is the "right" way to do Disney. Staying in the parks, being there for rope drop, embracing the obstacles (heat, lines, crowds) as part of the magic.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

I've been going to WDW since I was a baby, so this would be what I learned from the first trip I planned on my own:

- Stay on property. This was somewhat sacrilege at first since we have family in the area and when we were growing up, tended to stay with them and drive in...but between commute times, the ability to use EMH, and the sheer exhaustion of being in the parks all day and then having to drive back on unfamiliar roads, it was much easier for to stay on site rather than off.

- Save money where you can, but don't do it at the cost of the experience of being in Disney. My first "grown-up" trip to Disney I had the strictest budget imaginable (I think I lived primarily on Mickey Bars!) My friend and I decided to treat ourselves to one nice dinner, however, and ended up getting dressed up to go eat in MGM at the Brown Derby, which was a "BIG DEAL" for us both. It was by far the most expensive thing we bought on property, but it was worth the experience, and opened this picky eater up to a whole new culinary world.

- Pick the appropriate travel buddies. I traveled once with a friend who was very much a "I've ridden it once this trip, don't need to do it again" kind of person, whereas I am of the opinion that A) Once is never enough and B) If I've paid this much to get in, you can bet I'm getting my money's worth by riding Star Tours 11 times in a row if possible. She also never wanted to split off on her own to let me ride something twice, which made things somewhat tense by the end of the trip. Needless to say, we haven't traveled to WDW together since.

In contrast, the group of six I traveled with this February was pure bliss - we had structured days to fit in as much as possible together, but also free days to wander and do whatever, and everyone's wants were taken into consideration, with no one being put down if they didn't line up 100% with everyone else or if they split off to do their own thing. You can have an unlimited budget, great meals, great rides, etc., but if the company you are with isn't compatible, it can ruin a trip.

Upvote 0

BigHero4

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone. I should have stated that I've been to Disney World before as a small child but Mom and Dad did the planning... I was there to experience the magic. However, this was my first planned trip as a parent to WDW. Completely different, but just as magical. Some things that I've learned from this first trip as a parent:

- Go to MNSSHP or MVMCP and use the extra half day in the MK to your advantage while still taking another full day to enjoy the sites, sounds, rides and attractions.

- Plan for spontaneity. Everything (ADR, FP+, character meet and greats, etc...) were planned out to a T, but the best part was using my son's reaction to everything Disney as a way to stray from that plan and enjoy his amazement.

- My son loved the $12 Mickey balloon, but my wallet did not. We ended up giving it away before our flight home to another child that just arrived at the resort. It was a great lesson for my son and helped to spread the magic. In the end, money well spent.

- Booking through Disney's website is less hassle than using a third party travel website (i.e. Expedia, Orbitz, etc), especially when it comes to linking reservations to MDE.

- The Magical Express is a great service from the airport, but be sure to pack essentials and swim gear in your carry on as your luggage won't show at your resort for 3-6 hours after you have checked in.

Feedback is a gift. Keep the tips coming!

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

Not from my first trip, but on NYE '94 I was 5 months pregnant and we stayed off property. Getting back to our resort was a B*TCH ... took 2 hours with a 4 1/2 year old in tow. Got back to our hotel at 3 a.m. We have stayed on property ever since, especially if you go during the busy season.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
To not go in August the week before school starts. Sweltering AND crowded. And how expensive food in the parks is. And most importantly, how miserable your child will be in that heat with a cast on her wrist and not being able to cool off in the resort pool. We didn't go back for 14 years.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

1 - We stayed on property and did not rent a car for our first trip. We have rented a car for every trip since then because of the convenience.
2 - Have a touring plan but be willing to depart from it as unexpected special moments will present themselves at Disney.
3 - Kingdom Konsultants can save me a lot of effort, and I can still remain the control freak I am when it comes to things like booking ADRs.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can't remember my first trip as I was a little kid but I have learned that WDW is a magical place but it isn't magical if I am rushing around trying to get everything done. I have learned that some of my favorite moments have been spent on park benches enjoying a snack with my husband enjoying the atmosphere. Every night I'm in the Magic Kingdom the last 1/2 hour is spent parked on a bench in the hub and I am just enjoying the beauty of the area and waiting for the kiss goodnight.

Upvote 0

smk

Our first trip was planned down to the second it seemed. It felt too rushed and a lot like work, setting an alarm, running on a schedule. Subsequent trips have been generally planned but not so regimented. Works for us, we still have things we have not done in all the parks and we go practically every year for the past 12 years or so. We kind of plan but not so much that we can't switch up without too much trouble.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Plan in advance. But not so much your on a time schedule and risking people where it takes the fun out. But plan what you're doing each day way in advance and make sure everyone gets to do there top 5-10 things they wanna do.

Upvote 0
* The deluxe dining plan is just TOO MUCH FOOD!

*Just because a pair of shoes are comfy walking around the mall, doesn't mean the same pair are built for walking on hot concrete for 14 hour days.

*Luxury and cost don't matter nearly as much as convenience does to us on vacation.

*You really can't overplan a WDW trip. Even if you decide to blow off a day plan on a whim, it's still better to have ADR's and reservations (and now FP'+s) in case you need them. (Always cancel your ressies if you're not going to use them though, folks!)

*Assumptions are pointless. I was sure DH would be bored/annoyed for most of the trip but he loved attractions I never would have guessed. Our youngest was terrified of Dinosaur but copacetic with ToT.

*Splitting up isn't a bad thing. My eldest daughter was happy to spend a day alone at the resort swimming, reading and checking FB (she was 16, whaddya gonna do) while the rest of the family went out for the day.

*You can't possibly see or do it all in one trip and trying will make you miserable. Accepting that is freeing as it allows you to focus on what you really want.

*Florida tap water comes directly from Satan's bathtub. Avoid at all costs.

*WDW trips are like the Pringles of vacations. You can't stop at one!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

After the first trip:
#1. Next time save more and bring more CASH.
#2. Check out menu's, restaurant reviews, and make wiser choices of ADR's.
#3. Get to the parks EARLY.
#4. Dont pack snacks that can melt.
#5. Get to the food court and bus stops earlier than the A.M. crowds.
#6. Bring something to pass the time in long lines.
#7. Dont expect to accomplish everything in a park in one day.
#8. Yeah it's Fl but it can get chilly. Pack a sweatshirt or light jacket
#9. Pack aspirin/ cold meds and other assorted necessities cause the resort shops will charge you a fortune.
#10. Bring ear plugs cause the neighbors love to party allll night and mgt wont quiet them down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom