What Lenses do you carry around all day?

chrissyw14

Original Poster
I'm going to Disney in August, this is not my first trip but this is my first time with my Canon T3

I was wondering which lenses you take into the parks and use.
I have:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 which I love and have soo much fun shooting with it
Canon EF 55-250mm f4 IS
Kit lens- Canon 18-55mm IS

basically I don't know how often I will need to zoom with the bigger lens- probably for Animal Kingdom but I'm not sure if its worth carrying around every day. Also I'm thinking I may need the kit lens if I want to give to someone to take pictures of us- unless I just have them use my P&S

Thanks!:)

NowInc

I only bring 2 lenses that are both easy to carry, and give great results (I am a Nikon user but Canon has comparable glass)

35mm 1.8
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-...ie=UTF8&qid=1341502827&sr=8-1&keywords=nikkor
and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED IF AF-S VR
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200m...ie=UTF8&qid=1341502827&sr=8-3&keywords=nikkor

90% of the time the 55-200 is whats on my body and it gets everything I can think of with little to no issue. The 35mm I usually only bring out for character shots or in-ride photos.

Honestly I say you can leave the kit lens at home..I don't see you needing it with the range you have in the other 2 lenses.

Allen C

I remember the first time I went to WDW with a DSLR I had the 18 - 105mm kit lens and nothing else. I came home with over 1,000 images and ended up with very few "keepers." However, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot that first time.

Now I have a 28 - 300mm zoom on most of the time. I do like to go wide a lot so I usually have an 11 - 16mm UWA and an 8mm fisheye in the bag.

As a challenge during our next trip, I plan to do one entire day in a WDW park with just a 50mm prime attached.

For your first trip with a DSLR my advice would be: don't worry too much about the lenses. Just keep shooting, keep learning, get to know your camera and try to find your own style.

chrissyw14

Original Poster
I only bring 2 lenses that are both easy to carry, and give great results (I am a Nikon user but Canon has comparable glass)

35mm 1.8
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-...ie=UTF8&qid=1341502827&sr=8-1&keywords=nikkor
and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED IF AF-S VR
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200m...ie=UTF8&qid=1341502827&sr=8-3&keywords=nikkor

90% of the time the 55-200 is whats on my body and it gets everything I can think of with little to no issue. The 35mm I usually only bring out for character shots or in-ride photos.

Honestly I say you can leave the kit lens at home..I don't see you needing it with the range you have in the other 2 lenses.
I remember the first time I went to WDW with a DSLR I had the 18 - 105mm kit lens and nothing else. I came home with over 1,000 images and ended up with very few "keepers." However, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot that first time.

Now I have a 28 - 300mm zoom on most of the time. I do like to go wide a lot so I usually have an 11 - 16mm UWA and an 8mm fisheye in the bag.

As a challenge during our next trip, I plan to do one entire day in a WDW park with just a 50mm prime attached.

For your first trip with a DSLR my advice would be: don't worry too much about the lenses. Just keep shooting, keep learning, get to know your camera and try to find your own style.

Thank you both for your advice!

CP_alum08

I usually take four lenses into the parks with me.

17-35 f/2.8 - for normal shots
35 f/1.8 - for dark rides or 'extreme' bokeh
70-300 - for compression shots
and an 8mm fisheye.

Monorail Lime

basically I don't know how often I will need to zoom with the bigger lens- probably for Animal Kingdom but I'm not sure if its worth carrying around every day
Canon 70-200 f4 IS is my 'safari' lens for Animal Kingdom. It makes me feel like I'm actually on the Serengeti. ;)

I don't carry it to the other parks unless I'm going for a specific shot.

nngrendel

I have a 28-135 and a 50 prime 1.4.
I am having a difficult time trying to think of what lens I want to bring other than those two.
I been looking at a 11-16 2.8 Tamron or a 17-55 2.8 Canon. Also how are you carrying those lenses around? I been thinking about getting something to just carry just the lenses around thats small and easy to carry. I have a Tamrac backpack now but its pretty heavy and bigger than what I was wanting to carry around the parks.

wiigirl

Me too...but next time i might bring 1 or 2 more.

75.gif

CP_alum08

I have a 28-135 and a 50 prime 1.4.
I am having a difficult time trying to think of what lens I want to bring other than those two.
I been looking at a 11-16 2.8 Tamron or a 17-55 2.8 Canon. Also how are you carrying those lenses around? I been thinking about getting something to just carry just the lenses around thats small and easy to carry. I have a Tamrac backpack now but its pretty heavy and bigger than what I was wanting to carry around the parks.
Check out the Lowepro Flipside series. I have the 300 (used to have the 200) and they are great. More long and skinny versus short and fat like a normal backpack. The shape makes it great when you're walking in crowds since it doesnt jut out and hit anyone.

nngrendel

Check out the Lowepro Flipside series. I have the 300 (used to have the 200) and they are great. More long and skinny versus short and fat like a normal backpack. The shape makes it great when you're walking in crowds since it doesnt jut out and hit anyone.
Thanks. I will look into that.

Joshua&CalebDad

Thanks. I will look into that.

A quick suggestion...I recently purchased a Case Logic camera sling that has been great. It easiely holds the camera with lens as well as two other lenses. In additon it has a spot to carry a tripod (mine is just under 6 feet in size) and additional compartments for a spare battery, battery charger, and lens filters. The best part about it was the price, just under $50.00. I know that Lowepro tends to be the name brand but I wouldn't give up my bag for anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DC...21950&sr=8-1&keywords=case+logic+camera+sling

ddbowdoin

A quick suggestion...I recently purchased a Case Logic camera sling that has been great. It easiely holds the camera with lens as well as two other lenses. In additon it has a spot to carry a tripod (mine is just under 6 feet in size) and additional compartments for a spare battery, battery charger, and lens filters. The best part about it was the price, just under $50.00. I know that Lowepro tends to be the name brand but I wouldn't give up my bag for anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-308-Camera-Sling/dp/B004JMZPJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344121950&sr=8-1&keywords=case logic camera sling

only problems with those bags are access... they are perfect for carrying and traveling with your gear, but if you have your rig in the bag and all of a sudden you see something and want to quickly snag the camera, it it cumbersome. Bags are a pain in the butt in general

Joshua&CalebDad

only problems with those bags are access... they are perfect for carrying and traveling with your gear, but if you have your rig in the bag and all of a sudden you see something and want to quickly snag the camera, it it cumbersome. Bags are a pain in the butt in general

I used to think that same thing until I saw a sling bag. As you are carrying the bag you don't actually have to take it off to access the equipment. Just slide the bag under your arm from your back to your front side and open up the zipper. The bag and the equipment in the bag is still supported by your shoulder so its not going to move and I can access my camera and any lens that I want within 20 seconds. Now if you are going to swap a lens on the camera it may take you longer but thats expected.

case-logic-bag1.jpg

My bag is larger and a little different but you get the idea.

ddbowdoin

I used to think that same thing until I saw a sling bag. As you are carrying the bag you don't actually have to take it off to access the equipment. Just slide the bag under your arm from your back to your front side and open up the zipper. The bag and the equipment in the bag is still supported by your shoulder so its not going to move and I can access my camera and any lens that I want within 20 seconds. Now if you are going to swap a lens on the camera it may take you longer but thats expected.

case-logic-bag1.jpg

My bag is larger and a little different but you get the idea.

that's not bad... I wonder how large of a lens the bag could handle loaded and ready to go.

NeedMoreMickey

Depending on what we are planning to do for the day will help me decide if I bring just one lens or two. I have a Rebel T2i and I like to use my 18-135mm on for most shots. It's a little bigger than the kit lens but with the abilty to go out to 135 I can usually get away without having to put on my zoom lens. Also means I don't have as much to carry and the camera/lens will fit in the smaller bag. I have RA and tend to get tired so the less I have to carry the better. When I'm planning on taking special pictures I'll take the bigger bag and bring my zoom 70-300mm. My sister has the same camera and keeps the 18-55mm lens on the camera so she always brings her zoom which she will let me borrow on the days I don't bring my zoom.

ddbowdoin

the one lens I could use in WDW I don't have... Nikon 24-70 f2.8

I have the 70-200 VRII but it's heavy and I don't need that reach at Disney. I also have wide angle lenses, I really like the Tokina 11-16mm but it's a little too wide for general all purpose shooting.

Instead, I took along a Mamiya RB67 proSD with a KL 127mm lens. This was perfect for me, despite the weight and the slow shooting.

Joshua&CalebDad

that's not bad... I wonder how large of a lens the bag could handle loaded and ready to go.

I measured the inside of the bag and you have about 8 inches in depth. I have my Nikon D50 in there with the 55 - 200 mm lens on there with no issues and room to spare. The D50 with the 55-200 mm lens is just under 6.5 inches in length. I would not hesitate putting a longer lense on the camera and then in the bag. Worst case scenario, there are additional compartments that would easily hold a larger lense, just maybe not on the camera.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom