What is the one WDW hack you swear by?

HoneyBee1991

I know a lot of people will swear by something they love about vacationing at WDW. It is all based on our personal opinions and tastes. But it got me thinking about the main "hacks" and I am curious to find out what other people's preferences are. Maybe I'm missing some major benefits by not asking? Please let me know the one WDW hack you can't live without. Or if you have more than one please share those as well.

Personally, I have stayed on property and off property. I have used the meal plan and not used it. And I have used the Magic Express and rented a car. I have gone with and without park hopper option.

Examples:

**I preferred staying on property. Yes, I got a much nicer room for the same cost as a value resort but the benefits of staying on property were greatly missed. Since we rarely are at our hotel the trade off was not worth it.

**I prefer the meal plan. I've added up the costs and logically know I am spending more money by having it than paying out of pocket when I get there. However, it doesn't feel like it because I already have the food paid off with the vacation by the time I get there and don't have to stress about the money I am spending on food.

**We love having a car! I don't like waiting for the buses. Even when we are staying on property, I like being able to get up and go when I am ready to go. We also love Orlando and not just for Disney. The highway and traffic is very similar to what we have at home and I do not mind it at all. Plus, it makes park hopping much easier in my opinion.

**We need park hopping. We didn't use it for the first time last year and we regretted not adding it on day one. It is a must have, cannot do without option for us. We like to go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and at night but need some more park activities in the middle of the day. We will never go without them again.

JIMINYCR

I will utilize EMH's.... both Morning and Evening ones. I plan on doing as much as I can, while I can, for the time I'm at Disney. Getting to the parks earlier and staying later does give me more opportunities to get more done. I dont care to sleep in, even though I'm on vacation. And I'll stay up as late as I can stay on my feet. Time is precious and especially Disney time. So even though there are sites that swear guests should avoid EMH parks... I will continue to go when they are available because they have worked out, and continue to work out to my benefit.
I also continue to get park hoppers because I love the flexibility of being able to do more than one park in a day. And its worth the cost having the freedom to move around if a parks crowds are too oppressive.

Upvote 0

Souvenir

I could not agree more with those saying to use Uber or taxis instead of the bus. I take it one step further and skip using the Magical Express as well. We used it quite a few times before we got smart and gave up on it. The cost savings over taking a car service to and from the airport just is not worth it. When I've been up since before dawn, have dealt with my home city's traffic on the way to the airport, have been stuck in a cramped airplane seat for hours too close to coughing strangers, the last thing I want to do is wait in another line to get on a bus that is going to stay parked for 20-30 minutes while it slowly fills up and then we have to endure multiple stops before getting to our resort. At that point I just want to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. The trip back is even worse because we always seem to be the first or close to first picked up and then we have to stop at multiple resorts for additional passengers. This takes a ridiculous amount of time because there's always some issue with the driver having to unload all of the baggage and rearrange it to fit everything inside. Unless you're fortunate enough to have perfect timing with getting on an almost full bus last, and are the first stop on arrival day and the last stop on departure day, The Magical Express is not a very magical way to start or end a vacation.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

I could not agree more with those saying to use Uber or taxis instead of the bus. I take it one step further and skip using the Magical Express as well. We used it quite a few times before we got smart and gave up on it. The cost savings over taking a car service to and from the airport just is not worth it. When I've been up since before dawn, have dealt with my home city's traffic on the way to the airport, have been stuck in a cramped airplane seat for hours too close to coughing strangers, the last thing I want to do is wait in another line to get on a bus that is going to stay parked for 20-30 minutes while it slowly fills up and then we have to endure multiple stops before getting to our resort. At that point I just want to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. The trip back is even worse because we always seem to be the first or close to first picked up and then we have to stop at multiple resorts for additional passengers. This takes a ridiculous amount of time because there's always some issue with the driver having to unload all of the baggage and rearrange it to fit everything inside. Unless you're fortunate enough to have perfect timing with getting on an almost full bus last, and are the first stop on arrival day and the last stop on departure day, The Magical Express is not a very magical way to start or end a vacation.
This X 100!

Upvote 0

drcasey

This X 100!

Totally agree!!!! My last trip is the last time I'll use the ME. When I land in Orlando I'm ready for my vacation to start! No time for stopping at other resorts and waiting for others to get on the bus, there are adventures to be had! In all honesty though I understand that using Disney transportation saves money and I understand why people use it. But when I'm on vaca my time is precious and I don't want to waste it waiting for transportation and jumping through hoops to get where I'm trying to go

Upvote 0

KCheatle

This upcoming trip will be our first without using the ME. It was not because I disliked the ME, but because we are flying in late and staying off property that night, so ME wasn't an option. However, in hindsight, I am very grateful to not be taking it. Instead, we are taking an UberSelect (because we have to from MCO:() to a hotel right outside Disney property, sleeping there, and getting a free continental breakfast ;) Then we are taking an Uber over to Beach Club early so we can go to the parks. I am confident I will not miss ME. In fact, after thinking it through (the whole "3 hour prior to your flight" requirement), we decided to take an Uber back to the airport at the end of our stay, too.

I should note, though, that the ME is a great option for those who prefer to live in the Disney bubble from start to finish. AND-- the ME music loop on youtube is one of my favorites to listen to at work. So, there's that! :)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I don't think my ideas are clever enough to be "hacks," so I'll call them tips:

Favorite Disney packing tips: use packing cubes, roll kids clothes together into complete outfits so they can grab-and-go easily in the morning, bring half of what you need and do laundry on your mid-week pool day, travel carryon only, bring extra Ziploc bags (for wet swimsuits, leftovers, protecting electronics on wet rides) and clothespins (for hanging up wet items, keeping snack bags closed, tethering electronics charging cords, organizing papers, etc.)
Favorite Disney hotel tips: use plastic dry cleaning bag to hold dirty laundry, bring your own creamer for the in-room coffeemaker to class up your morning coffee, if the drawer space is inadequate bring a set of collapsible hanging shelves for the closet area
Favorite Disney touring tips: rope drop at a non-morning-EMH park, take a nap break every day
Favorite Disney moneysaving tips: no Memorymaker (bring your own camera), no DDP (eat what/where you want, but out of pocket), don't bring or pay for water (iced water is free), rent DVC points if you want to go deluxe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
A side note on the word "hacks." I am terribly sorry that my word choice is not "clever" or accurate enough for some. I'll crack open my Webster before attempting to post on an online forum again to make sure my definitions are spot on ;)

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

I've never taken it on the way back for this same reason

Upvote 0

Spectro

Strangely we enjoy the Disney buses and not having to drive although we always have a rental car. My best tip or hack is go in off peak season and book free dining packages. For a stay over a week with four adults it saves us lots $$$.

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

My number one tip that I tell ANYONE going to Disney is - Get to the parks when they open! You can accomplish so much in the morning. I know Disney can get a little tiring, but for us - we have always preferred to wake up early and get to the Parks at opening.

Take mid day breaks. With or without kids, you will be happy you did. Even if you think you don't need a break....take one.

When packing - lay out what you want to take & then remove HALF! I have learned this lesson the hard way....always over packing, not wearing half of what I packed. The only thing I take a few extras of, are T-shirts...because with kids, they always get them dirty. I also try to do laundry.....one afternoon while the kids are in the pool.

WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! Again, another lesson I have learned the hard way! I used to NEVER take sneakers....just sandals, flip flops....and maybe the occasional pair of Toms....however, by day 2 or 3.....my feet would be KILLING ME. Now, I make sure I take a pair of comfy sneakers.....I can always change if I want.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom