What is going on with Soarin'?

toasty

Original Poster
Not too long ago, there were plenty of rumors swirling about Soarin', including the idea that it would be getting a new film and possibly a third theater. There were flybys over the parks that took place, too, that I think all had assumed would be for the end of the new film.

Haven't heard a thing more about any of it, though, not even in the rumor mill (apologies if it's in some threads here and I've just overlooked it). Anyone have any clue what is going on and what the timeline might be?

As an aside, how hard could a transition from one film to another possibly be? I have always assumed that they have a mock up of the ride in Burbank or something, and once they get the new film, it's largely a matter of working with it there to get the motions just right -- then it would just be a matter of swapping out the film and transferring those motion settings over, and then you're good to go, right? Even if they are swapping out the projectors for newer, better models, it still doesn't seem like it would be something that would require much downtime to transition from one to another.

That said, I actually have zero first-hand knowledge of what such a transition would require, so I'm basically talking out of my butt here. Anyone have any wisdom on the matter?

muteki

The flybys happened, but I thought the footage was used for promotional materials, not a new soarin film. Might be wrong through.

Shanghai is supposed to get a new film.

Bolt

They were still filming four months ago so I assume we have a little more time to wait til they even finish the film portion.

The Duck

It was sold to Universal for a bag of magic beans.
It wasn't even a full bag.....
mickeybeans.jpg

Next Big Thing

How long could it possibly take? It's not Citizen Kane, just some random helicopter flyovers and a bit of dodgy CGI.
When filming over certain area, you have to get clearance and schedule the flyover date. If they can't get the clearance until a certain time for whatever reason, it pushes everything back.

Rob562

How long could it possibly take? It's not Citizen Kane, just some random helicopter flyovers and a bit of dodgy CGI.

Disney doesn't have the power to change the seasons. The original Soarin film covers the full swing of the seasons from summer to winter. If they are filming all new footage for a new Soarin Around the World version and they want a certain location to be in a specific season, they have to wait until then to film it.

The rumors also included talk of replacing the projectors with new digital ones, though in order to do that it would require a lengthy shut-down of each theater one at a time. If they're building a third theater they could easily wait for that to come online with the new projector, and then close each of the old theaters one at a time for a refit, and the overall capacity would stay the same as it is right now.
Presumably they'd either run different films in different theaters, or create a film print of the new sequence to show in the old film projector until that theater closes.

-Rob

PhotoDave219

Not too long ago, there were plenty of rumors swirling about Soarin', including the idea that it would be getting a new film and possibly a third theater. There were flybys over the parks that took place, too, that I think all had assumed would be for the end of the new film.

Haven't heard a thing more about any of it, though, not even in the rumor mill (apologies if it's in some threads here and I've just overlooked it). Anyone have any clue what is going on and what the timeline might be?

As an aside, how hard could a transition from one film to another possibly be? I have always assumed that they have a mock up of the ride in Burbank or something, and once they get the new film, it's largely a matter of working with it there to get the motions just right -- then it would just be a matter of swapping out the film and transferring those motion settings over, and then you're good to go, right? Even if they are swapping out the projectors for newer, better models, it still doesn't seem like it would be something that would require much downtime to transition from one to another.

That said, I actually have zero first-hand knowledge of what such a transition would require, so I'm basically talking out of my butt here. Anyone have any wisdom on the matter?

The rumor mill has been quiet. I haven't heard anything beyond what is previously been said on here…

And I'm pretty certain about a third theater will be constructed. I would not expect any new film to be introduced before construction is completed. Assuming they actually do go ahead and change films.

So nothing new.

TP2000

Soarin' at DCA (both theaters) is closing for over four months for the digital conversion this winter/spring. From the latest refurbishment calendar for Disneyland Resort:

Soarin' Over California – closed January 6 through May 14 for refurbishment.

I don't have much else of a WDW scoop on this. I just thought this might be interesting for us to realize what kind of a time investment this will take to convert the existing theaters at Epcot to the upgraded digital format.

Figaro928

@WDW1974 said the new film would debut at SDL apparently this is in the WDI contract. WDW is supposed to get it the year after that.

So relax the new film is not going to make an appearance at WDW till at least 2016.

Wait I'm confused... SDL is getting a Soarin video featuring WDW and WDW has a Soarin Video featuring DL.:cautious::cautious:

Here's an idea they'd LOVE: Call me crazy but what they should do is make one Soarin video with all the DVC destinations. Your pilot: Kronk is out; Duffy is in. Fastpasses are only available to DVC members 6 months in advance. The Grand Finale is Elsa in a pine forest (with scent) making in snow. All guests leave the stadium singing "let it go" but are immediately greeted with a blockade of DVC kiosks. Who's on board? :devilish:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Wait I'm confused... SDL is getting a Soarin video featuring WDW and WDW has a Soarin Video featuring DL.:cautious::cautious:

Here's an idea they'd LOVE: Call me crazy but what they should do is make one Soarin video with all the DVC destinations. Your pilot: Kronk is out; Duffy is in. Fastpasses are only available to DVC members 6 months in advance. The Grand Finale is Elsa in a pine forest (with scent) making in snow. All guests leave the stadium singing "let it go" but are immediately greeted with a blockade of DVC kiosks. Who's on board? :devilish:

You are not a very happy person. Is there anything about Disney you like?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom