What does TDO have against Benches?

Magenta Panther

So you can now walk from any Epcot resort and not encounter a bench until you get to the UK or France.

All the benches inside IG have been removed and you'll see the smokers sitting on the sidewalk and little kids lying on the ground.

Ok, I thought maybe these were moved to accommodate more seating elsewhere for F&W, but even the four or so permanent benches outside the gates were also removed. These were anchored to the cement and would have required some serious effort to get rid of.

This was obviously done for some odd reason as they were all in good shape and used by lots of people.

A small matter to be sure but I just felt like complaining about something this afternoon.

I am so totally with you on that. One of the reasons I like DHS so much is because BENCHES!!!!! They're thoughtfully placed here and there throughout the park so that you can sit the heck down and rest your feet or finish your Mickey Mousehead ice cream bar. But Epcot is bereft of benches, as you note, so that if you go to the Food and Wine festival, you wind up sitting on the sidewalk or the shrubbery to enjoy your Nordic beer and Indian curry or whatnot. It's ridiculous. Walt once said "There will never be tired feet in Disneyland." And that's true there, but in parts of WDW, man, that's another story...

Nemo14

Perhaps they'll reinstall the benches but wire them up so that if a guest sits longer than, say, 30 seconds, they will get a little "stimulation" to leave.

fillerup

Original Poster
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....

Okay - so TDO doesn't hate benches quite as much as I thought they did when I started this minor thread.

Inside the Int'l Gateway, at least four of the wooden benches have been returned - looking nicely re-varnished I might add.

No indication yet what might happen with the permanent benches outside the tapstiles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom