What does it cost to run WDW?

rickdrat

Original Poster
Greetings. I've been lurking on this board for more than a year now and have finally decided to make a post. I in no way consider myself an expert on WDW in the way some of you seem to be. I've only been twice, my last visit was 10 years ago. Although I hope to bring my 5 year old daughter soon.

Despite my lack of fandom, I must admit that I do occasionaly spend time studying the park through Google Earth. I marvel at the scale and scope of the operation. It fascinates me to understand what it takes to keep all the little things running. Even more, I'd love to take a gander at the compound NE of the park, but that's another thread.

With all the discussion here about the condition of the parks and attraction maintainance, it got me to wondering. Just how much does it cost to operate WDW each day? Now I realize thats like asking "How long is a piece of string?", still there must me some Disney bean counter out there with a spreadsheet that knows the answer.

To better frame the discusion, I'm talking about the cost of running the park for 24 hours, opening to opening. Figure in wages, salaries, supplies like food, beverage, souveniers, utilities like electricity and water, and of course the cost of operating and maintaining the rides themselves. Let's ignore things like R&D and new attraction construction since that's a budgetary black hole.

Then, balance that out with what the parks actually take in every day; ticket sales, hotel rooms, food and souvenier sales.

So at the end of the day, do they make a profit?

I realize nobody here acutally knows these answers. Right?:shrug: I just thought it would be fun to see some educated guesses.

Sorry to throw out math homework right at the start of school.

Ella's Mommy

Welcome!!!!! Glad to have a new member. That is quite a question! I can't even fathom what that figure would be. But every time we go to WDW I always end up thinking "how much do they spend in electric." Anyone who has been there when its hot knows that just standing by a ride or giftshop the AC is just pouring out into open air. It never fails each time I always have the same thought.:ROFLOL:

mpoppins76

:wave: Welcome aboard! I think I have a WDW Trivia book at home w/ the answer, but I'm sure someone here will know before then. :rolleyes:

jmvd20

Welcome aboard!!

I have wondered about similar things myself, such as how much is the electric bill, how many pounds of pineapple are used in Dole Whips each month, etc...

When it comes to the financial end anyone that does know the actual numbers on something like that would never release the information. I couldn't even guess what the real numbers are per day for the MK, though I do know it could be quantified as a lot! :D

RiversideBunny

If you buy at least one share of Disney stock you will receive the Annual Reports.
They have some overall information in yearly, consolidated categories.

:king:

cooleo

How about, "How many different types of Light Bulbs have to be kep on hand for replacements?" That has got to be an absurd number.:lol: :lol:

Gorjus

You can't make judgements on those figures. There is so much that people don't take into account that factors into day to day operations. If you just figured on supply expenses vs income it would be disproportionate. However, R&D is included as is cast morale activities, as is construction, as is give aways, as is repairs, as is lots of things you just don't see. As they teach us in basics, everything is a thread in the tapestry that is WDW.

dizzney

Their electric bill must be out of sight as when we were there last week, you can feel that cool breeze 10 feet out from doors, you know the AC is really ON!

Suffice it to say, that they are not losing money, I know we contributed to their bottom line and enjoyed eating, sleeping and spending there!:wave:

LivinWitTheLand

Based on Disney's last quarter earnings, and a very nice profit margin coming from the parks I would say that things are very profitable for them. :animwink:

I know I have read figures that just Illuminations cost $30,000 per night in Fireworks alone, not including propane gas etc.

I'm sure the total figure for running the world daily is something we could not even fathom.

Apparently each area is run as it's own mini company, such as each resort, theme park, transportation etc. so even a good number of the bean counters might not be aware what an over-all figure is.

I'm sure a safe bet would be mucho moola! :)

From reading that very exciting accountants' documents...it looks like Disney Spends a gigillion dollars to run the parks, and makes a gigillion dollars in revenues..At least my family has the best time of our year when we go there, and we really dont care about the day to day operations, its just fun to be there and forget about reallity for 10 days a year.....goooorsh.
Although I didnt guess that the Reosorts average near 90% occupany for the year...the industry as a whole would kill for rates that high all year. no wonder they never stop building hotel space.

dragonfox98

Greetings. I've been lurking on this board for more than a year now and have finally decided to make a post. I in no way consider myself an expert on WDW in the way some of you seem to be. I've only been twice, my last visit was 10 years ago. Although I hope to bring my 5 year old daughter soon.

Despite my lack of fandom, I must admit that I do occasionaly spend time studying the park through Google Earth. I marvel at the scale and scope of the operation. It fascinates me to understand what it takes to keep all the little things running. Even more, I'd love to take a gander at the compound NE of the park, but that's another thread.

With all the discussion here about the condition of the parks and attraction maintainance, it got me to wondering. Just how much does it cost to operate WDW each day? Now I realize thats like asking "How long is a piece of string?", still there must me some Disney bean counter out there with a spreadsheet that knows the answer.

To better frame the discusion, I'm talking about the cost of running the park for 24 hours, opening to opening. Figure in wages, salaries, supplies like food, beverage, souveniers, utilities like electricity and water, and of course the cost of operating and maintaining the rides themselves. Let's ignore things like R&D and new attraction construction since that's a budgetary black hole.

Then, balance that out with what the parks actually take in every day; ticket sales, hotel rooms, food and souvenier sales.

So at the end of the day, do they make a profit?

I realize nobody here acutally knows these answers. Right?:shrug: I just thought it would be fun to see some educated guesses.

Sorry to throw out math homework right at the start of school.

Believe it or not, I am such a Disney Geek that I used Disney as a project for my Principles of Finance class. I determined their profit margin and such utilizing their annual financial statements. I still have them saved on my computer if you would like me to send you a copy. If you can't decipher the financials (and not a lot of people can), I can break it down for you.

Just let me know. :)

Oh, and, BTW, welcome!!!!

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Rough Guess

Just going by the numbers on their site I would guess at a daily revenue or 32 million and a daily cost of 23 million. Just a WAG though.

Jon_in_NC

Plus another variable in the equation is that, relatively speaking, the costs to run say just one park are generally the same from day to day. Meaning that you usually have to have roughly the same number of staff to run the restaurants, concessions, and attractions/shows. So if there are more visitors to a park one day versus another, the revenue will vary more than the operating costs.

Isn't economics grand?....Soooo many variables that can affect things.

EdandAmy

And yet another variable is that the AC/Elec cost and such vary depending on what rides are down for mtce or not. Plus Elec cost vary by season due to outside temps, etc.. which also affect some sales.

To do the math correctly you have to make many many many assumptions on what you consider a normal day. So, any one change in your assumptions would change your results.

:brick:

Dragonrider1227

in between building the parks, keeping them clean and up to date, THOUSANDS of cast members to pay for and let's not forget those hi-tech refurbs to rides, I'd imagine a lot more then I'LL ever see XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom