What does Epcot need to get more attention?

EnergyKing

I see you failed to mention Mission:Space, so I can only assume you share my distaste for that glorified Gravitron/Torture Chamber.

3) Test Track: It's number will be up eventually. If it didn't have that 15 seconds of fastness, would anyone really care about the ride? I'm sure they could replace it with a ride that marries awe-inspiring scientific inspiration with amusement park thrills, not a pointless ride through a factory climaxing in a 65 mph speedaway (which is slow for most drivers on the highway)

4) I have nothing against Soarin' the ride but it doesn't make sense in Epcot. With a futuristic twist, different story.

7) As for Frozen...since this is a fantasy question anything's possible, so yes, I would pull the plug on this horrible idea, move Frozen to the Magic Kingdom and put it in the New Fantasyland where it belongs. No one would care. In fact, people would be overjoyed that they get to keep their beloved Troll ride AND get a new, dollar-driven ride that will be irrelevant by the time it's finished being built.

In closing, I'm all about restoring integrity to this once great park.

Little Green Men

I see you failed to mention Mission:Space, so I can only assume you share my distaste for that glorified Gravitron/Torture Chamber.

3) Test Track: It's number will be up eventually. If it didn't have that 15 seconds of fastness, would anyone really care about the ride? I'm sure they could replace it with a ride that marries awe-inspiring scientific inspiration with amusement park thrills, not a pointless ride through a factory climaxing in a 65 mph speedaway (which is slow for most drivers on the highway)

4) I have nothing against Soarin' the ride but it doesn't make sense in Epcot. With a futuristic twist, different story.

7) As for Frozen...since this is a fantasy question anything's possible, so yes, I would pull the plug on this horrible idea, move Frozen to the Magic Kingdom and put it in the New Fantasyland where it belongs. No one would care. In fact, people would be overjoyed that they get to keep their beloved Troll ride AND get a new, dollar-driven ride that will be irrelevant by the time it's finished being built.

In closing, I'm all about restoring integrity to this once great park.

The new Test Track makes far more sense in Epcot than the original. The original was taking guests into a current day test facility, the new one takes you into a computer simulated world, the ride being darker masks the whole building from being seen and prevents guests from seeing the track so they get more of a surprise, like with the skid test. I love Test Track and its thrill has nothing to do with it, though it does add excitement.

copcarguyp71

Just one man's dream but...

Every single one of the outlying pavilions needs to be taken into the future except for TT. That was the vision that EPCOT was founded on and somewhere along the way it has lost it's purpose.

SSE, finish it...fill in missing scenes on the descent, clean up projections and general upkeep items.

Now...in my little perfect world:

Reopen WOL pavillion and bring Carousel of Progress over from MK as a redone centerpiece of the pavillion. Make the entire thing a human potential theme spanning everything from medical technology to life in the future (yes, Horizons-esque)

Build a TTA that goes all around Futureworld and meanders into and out of pavilions where you can peek in through one way mirrors. A load/unload station at the entrance area of the park (maybe in the guest assistance area to the left of SSE so it does not interfere with the visual). One over by Odyssey as well. It would be a great way to see all the pavilions and to get from the front to the back of the park. Perhaps have a second loop there that you can transfer to that goes around WS with a stop around Italy or France.

Kevin Kuhl

EPCOT needs a heavy overhaul with Imagination in its entirety. Capt. EO is a classic, sure, but that site can use something updated. Figment needs a refurb - a heavy refurb at that. I enjoy the ride but still feel like its almost incomplete or something.

This Frozen Norway ride will get EPCOT so much attention. I know its not a popular opinion, and yes I did love Maelstrom, but I do feel like it's exactly what the park needs. Frozen gets a lot of hate, and yeah, its detracting from World Showcase's whole point by getting rid of a cultural attraction, but would this same backlash be happening if they wanted to add an Aladdin ride to Morocco or maybe a Mulan ride to China? I don't think so, but anyway, Frozen is going to split up crowds, get massive attention, get more people into World Showcase, and take enough attention away from Future World where Disney might refurb or add something new there to re-balance it out.

PhotoDave219

The main problem is Epcot has turned into a collection of restaurants that over charge and you get to pay a $100 a person cover charge.

Then don't go. Live your EPCOT fanbois dreams on yesterland, SEcond life, mine craft, or roller coaster tycoon.

The point being (to the point of exhaustion) is that Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom are in dire shape and in need of their expansions and renovations.

Epcot is holding its own even if it's not what you want Epcot to be. I'm not sure I would ever want to go to your epcot.

PhotoDave219

I don't go any more except if my brother comes along, he works for GM so we walk on to Test Track. I don't have dreams of Epcot of old, I go by what's there now. I do know Epcot is holding it's own as a collection of restaurants and adult beverage outlet's. I know people who live in places that don't have decent restaurants love the whole thing but I can bring any of those people to better places right around where I live. Business wise I see why Disney loves the place, I see wine that's $3 a bottle whole sale and they charge $9 a glass, a small glass at that. That $3 bottle of wine is making Disney $45. Business wise the place is great for Disney and people who don't know any better love it there so Epcot is holding it's own for many people.

At least you get it.

The company is interested in revenue. And growing that revenue. And only revenue.

Cam Eplion

Ditching the title "Future World" and coming up with a new term for the front part of the park wouldn't hurt.
IMO, I think that was something that Walt wanted and the designers left alone. Of course the Epcot we know is very different from the one that Walt wanted, but it's name technically is Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Walt wanted to make a place were people could live and interact with technology years before it's time, and I think the name Future World ties in with that.

Dj Corona

I totally agree with you on that, Cam, but at the rate technology is constantly upgrading and changing, they're kind of already backed into a corner trying to build a new ride that won't seem outdated in just a few years. As mentioned in few other posts, a hang glider simulator, a car with the top down simulator, and a really expensive "Gravitron", isn't exactly futuristic. Now, there's always Innovations, and although it showcases new technology, I think more people use it for an air conditioning break more then anything else, unfortunately.

Cam Eplion

I totally agree with you on that, Cam, but at the rate technology is constantly upgrading and changing, they're kind of already backed into a corner trying to build a new ride that won't seem outdated in just a few years. As mentioned in few other posts, a hang glider simulator, a car with the top down simulator, and a really expensive "Gravitron", isn't exactly futuristic. Now, there's always Innovations, and although it showcases new technology, I think more people use it for an air conditioning break more then anything else, unfortunately.
I also agree with you, but with the newest refurb to Test Track they obviously went for more futuristic. Mission Space is debatable with the ride being set into the future. Universe of Energy is well in need of a much needed face lift or maybe it ends up being scrapped for something else. The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and Imagination have nothing to do with the future. The Land kinda has futuristic things in it but not that much. Basically we are looking at Innoventions, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Mission Space being the only attractions in Future World to have futuristic values to them. Which now that I look at it, it's kind of sad. The Seas used to be more futuristic, The Land kinda is, and Imagination was never. Horizons and World of Motion were both great with showing the Future. I hope the coming years will help bring back future into Future World.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Ironic that imagineering is right behind mission space... Not placing blame there because they get matching orders from higher up but I would LOVE to see them go creatively wild on EPCOT and see what they're STILL capable of when allowed to create freely.

Bairstow

Ironic that imagineering is right behind mission space... Not placing blame there because they get matching orders from higher up but I would LOVE to see them go creatively wild on EPCOT and see what they're STILL capable of when allowed to create freely.

And that's not Mission:Space?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
And that's not Mission:Space?

One attraction. I like mission space but would love to see the team be able to finish utilizing all the available space in FW and be able to give some TLC to various areas and attractions on park. Believe me I think they are capable of impressive work, but they're hands & budgets have been constrained for a while.

copcarguyp71

Now, there's always Innovations, and although it showcases new technology, I think more people use it for an air conditioning break more then anything else, unfortunately.

On our last trip two years ago I was flabbergasted by an entire wall of video games running on game consoles that took up a large section in Innoventions (I think it was east). I mean really? Not ground braking in any way, just a way for mom and dad to fluff the kids off their shoulders which I guess is OK as we all need a break now and then but there just has to be something more Disney can come up with than out of the box gaming on game consoles that most of us have in our own homes lined up along a wall.

I personally enjoyed the house of tomorrow. It is a little on the technical side of things but of all the displays in Innoventions I think that has the most applicability to the real intent of what that part of the park is supposed to be. The financial planning piggy bank thing was fun to do with the kids but just misses the mark a bit for me as far as an "Innovention". Sum of all Thrills is really such an underated attraction too...but all in all I think Innoventions needs an intervention;)

Kevlar10

I think that most of us are missing the point of EPCOT. It is a park meant for people to enjoy the world and what it has to offer. To me, it is a great park. Yes, I'm kind of a nerd but I enjoy experiencing things from other countries and trying their food (although fast food style for the most part). I like to see new technologies and experience new things. When I first took my children to WDW, I really thought they would hate EPCOT, but it was quite the reverse. They loved it. With the Agent P Adventure, we had trouble getting them out of the World Showcase. We even went there during one of the EMH nights and the kids refused to leave until they both fell asleep in the double stroller. They were 4 and 7, glad we brought it along. To me EPCOT is for the adventurous spirit in all ages. Yes, certain parts need to be updated from time to time (Universe of Energy is a prime example, PLEASE get rid of Ellen!) but overall, to me, it is a great park.

Communicore

On our last trip two years ago I was flabbergasted by an entire wall of video games running on game consoles that took up a large section in Innoventions (I think it was east). I mean really? Not ground braking in any way, just a way for mom and dad to fluff the kids off their shoulders which I guess is OK as we all need a break now and then but there just has to be something more Disney can come up with than out of the box gaming on game consoles that most of us have in our own homes lined up along a wall.

I personally enjoyed the house of tomorrow. It is a little on the technical side of things but of all the displays in Innoventions I think that has the most applicability to the real intent of what that part of the park is supposed to be. The financial planning piggy bank thing was fun to do with the kids but just misses the mark a bit for me as far as an "Innovention". Sum of all Thrills is really such an underated attraction too...but all in all I think Innoventions needs an intervention;)
I'm the biggest Communicore fan there is but when they first opened Innoventions those Sega Genesis games kinda eased the pain and sadness I felt from the renovation and remodeling! I guess their keeping it true to the spirit of Innoventions.

Communicore

1) Tear down Universe of Energy and build a Pixar ride in it's place
2) Restore Mousegear into Centorium including the second floor
3) Get rid of the tombstones
4) Restore Communicore back to what it was
5) Convert Odyssey into the new Character Spot
6) Officially rename Wonders Of Life into Special Events Center

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom