What does Disney do with closed attractin animatronics?

muse1983

Original Poster
I have always wondered...what does Disney do with animatronics from canceled attractions? I wonder if they just keep them in storage. A huge storage facility which houses the Alien from AE, the animatronics from Horizons etc. Wouldn't that be insane to get a peek at the Alien animatronic just sitting in a warehouse.....

*Attraction

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Mostly a lot of repurposing. Might get used in another attraction with some minor tweaking, maybe used on a behind the scenes tour, or even scrapped for recycling parts. The worst I've seen had to be one of the original JII Figments being sold on eBay in terrible, awful shape. Enough to make a fan cry. :cry:

kap91

They put them into storage or reuse them. For example animals from America sings ended up in dl's splash mountain and as robots in star tours. Prarie dogs and buffalo made for western river expedition are in Living with the land. A robotic dinosaur thing was used in several shows at epcot and the magic kingdom. Most of the time though theyre just stored away awaiting future use.

Phonedave

And put into storage does not mean into a big organized warehouse somewhere.

There are old props and other items under tarps on rides, under the tracks on dark rides, backstage behind buildings, in the far reaches of parking lots, etc.

-dave

Rob562

Other reuses that I'm aware of, chickens in crates from World of Motion made it into the barn at Barnstormer. (The chickens squawk every time a train goes by).

Some animatronics from World of Motion were repurposed in Disneyland's Pirates, added near the lifthill at the end of their version of the ride. Two other Motion animatronics just resurfaced in the former Greek Theater (now the "Mathematics" scene) in Spaceship Earth as additional "students".

WDI has a couple large warehouses out in California, so I'm sure that many ended up out there.

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

Pretty sure they recycle them for parts...:wave:
Yep.
Mostly a lot of repurposing. Might get used in another attraction with some minor tweaking, maybe used on a behind the scenes tour, or even scrapped for recycling parts. The worst I've seen had to be one of the original JII Figments being sold on eBay in terrible, awful shape. Enough to make a fan cry. :cry:

I remember those pics...:cry:

dreamfinder

The worst I've seen had to be one of the original JII Figments being sold on eBay in terrible, awful shape. Enough to make a fan cry. :cry:

Alternatively way back in the early days of selling stuff on eBay, when Disney sold its surplus first hand instead of selling it all to MouseSurplus/SurplusKingdom/whomever, they had an original Dream Catcher/Dream Mobile/whatever you want to call it for auction. (Drawing a blank on the real name) Totally should have bought that. Woulda blown my savings at the time, heck I think I was still in high school back then, but where would I have kept it???

MKCP 1985

yep, I've seen original Mr. Toad's Wild Ride weasel and devil characters sold through mouse surplus. pass the tissues.

Jasonflz

:lookaroun Well, the TK animatronic was stored in the old skyway. Where it is now beats me.

(hopefully it is reused or goes to eBay)

Figments Friend

Are you talking about the cable operated puppet(s) that were listed a year or two ago? I saw those..and although they looked exactly like the AA Figments used in the original attraction they were just pieces of some of the many puppets made for the various 'finale' films ( where Figment is shown acting out various 'dream roles'..) It was very cool to see these still around..and i will confess seeing the listing made me drool. I will agree however that is was still a tad sad seeing Fig looking so...uh...'apart'. The winning bidder was a Imagineer i beleive, so he went to a good home. :)

The only time i ever saw a Disney AA online for sale was a few of the Food Rocks figures. I can't really see them as full blown AAs though...as most were kinda 'cutouts'...if you know what i mean!

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom