What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I just saw that picture on this website of the central section of future world being redesigned. Looks like a lot of buildings are being demolished in future world around the fountain from what I can make out. What do you think of what you see on that picture?

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I don't always think the artist pictures are very close to what the end project looks like when it is finished. That picture shows MouseGear gone and there is no way Disney is going to get rid of one of the busiest stores on property.

Agreed. I think this is a far fetched version of what is actually going to happen. But moving the fountain closer to the lagoon for the new Illuminations might be a cool idea.

trainplane3

The more I look at it, the more blue sky it looks. I somehow doubt all of CommuniCore will be gone. I think the fountains closer to WS make sense. I'm sitting tight until demo/constructions starts. I'd expect more realistic art then.

Also, doesn't this belong in the Epcot spine thread?

durangojim

I don't mind the changes that thew want to make. In today's world I'm not even sure how they can make a "Future World" when so much of the future seems to be based on personal technology and the internet is our window into that world. I'm OK with them making it more park-like. To me, as an adult, my favorite part of EPCOT is World Showcase, specifically walking around it at night and just taking in the atmosphere and beauty. For my kids they enjoy the rides for their entertainment value, but the education portion and the ideas of what we would experience in the future that I experienced as a child in the 1980s is something that my kids (9&11) have never really experienced in Future World and probably never will. And I'm ok with that.

Bocabear

MouseGear used to be a very beautiful, 2 level store that carried mostly EPCOT themed goods and had a higher end Gallery space...Years later that was dumbed down to the wal-mart like shop full of miscellany that is now is... I wouldn't mind losing it altogether for a special, beautiful shopping venue... Go to World Of Disney if you just wans miscellaneous Disney stuff...
But with the removal of all the buildings, I am afraid it will be Spaceship Earth, then a dead zone park of trees and planters that goes on for Acres before you actually get to any attractions, shops, or restaurants... So part of me likes the general feel, but it feels vacant...

Seabasealpha1

It's nice...but I can't but wonder how the heck the ole WoL building makes the cut but Communicore doesn't...I wanna see that art facing from the opposite direction...not to mention all the stuff that hasn't been said...like what happens to Imagination...WoL...SSE (if anything)...the "graveyard" out front... what else are they planning? What falls into "Spine Redevelopment" and what becomes major projects spaced far apart?

I do dig the plants...in fact, the removal of all those palms years ago and the re-addition of just regular trees was a lackluster move IMO...

Bob Harlem

It feels like they just flat out gave up on the old layout. I don't know what happens to the Starbucks, Electric Umbrella, and MouseGears. (WOL becomes one big GIft shop!)

Get your fill of Beverly before Club Cool goes away though.

Wonders of Life becomes Wonders of Merchandising, a shrine to Chapek.

Kman101

MouseGear used to be a very beautiful, 2 level store that carried mostly EPCOT themed goods and had a higher end Gallery space...Years later that was dumbed down to the wal-mart like shop full of miscellany that is now is... I wouldn't mind losing it altogether for a special, beautiful shopping venue... Go to World Of Disney if you just wans miscellaneous Disney stuff...
But with the removal of all the buildings, I am afraid it will be Spaceship Earth, then a dead zone park of trees and planters that goes on for Acres before you actually get to any attractions, shops, or restaurants... So part of me likes the general feel, but it feels vacant...

So we want more trees and water but now it will feel vacant without the now not used one-side of Innoventions? I welcome the bulldozer in this case. I'm sure some of the donut style buildings will serve as food and shopping. And they could always end up keeping it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom