What did you do?

JillC LI

I just spent two minutes explaining to a lovely woman I work with that ALL marathons were 26.2 miles; that's what makes them a "marathon." LOL. It always surprises me when people ask "how long is that marathon?" I knew what comprised a marathon long before I took up running.

Texas84

7 miles walking today as per the Galloway plan ... ugh. It felt like forever at a pace of 15:52 p/mile. One good thing to note is that my p/mile pace is under 16 minutes per mile so if anything happens during the first 3 days of the Dopey ... I can always walk it ;) Tomorrow is 17 miles running ... should be a great morning for it.

On another note, I'm a little concerned because in reading everyone else's posts on this board, it appears that Higdon's plan is primarily being used. Are they that different, or is it just personal preference? Just want to make sure I'm prepared going into Marathon weekend ...

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

For me Galloway seemed to be a beginner or "just finish" plan for everyone. It was good enough for my first half but I don't think I was adequately prepared for my first marathon. Hidgon seems more serious. I was hitting PRs all over the place with Higdon. It's a lot more mileage.

Kristia

7 miles walking today as per the Galloway plan ... ugh. It felt like forever at a pace of 15:52 p/mile. One good thing to note is that my p/mile pace is under 16 minutes per mile so if anything happens during the first 3 days of the Dopey ... I can always walk it ;) Tomorrow is 17 miles running ... should be a great morning for it.

On another note, I'm a little concerned because in reading everyone else's posts on this board, it appears that Higdon's plan is primarily being used. Are they that different, or is it just personal preference? Just want to make sure I'm prepared going into Marathon weekend ...

I did Galloway for the Goofy in 2013. The walking days KILLED me! It was just so boring!

LindsayLoves

You will be prepared using the Galloway plan - don't worry about that, its just a different way of training. I used the Galloway plan for my first Disney marathon and it worked out fine. I chose to use Higdon for my current full marathon training because I am more time oriented right now, Galloway got me across the finish line but I would like to see a 3 at the start of my marathon finish time.

My major reasons for not using Galloway:
1. the Galloway plan is LONG (in terms of weeks). I got burnt out and bored with the training the last two months, it just was just too much. Going into this training cycle I was in much better shape so I didn't need all that base building.
2. I am trying to get a decent time so the Higdon plan logs more miles and has more variation with paces and types of runs.
3. The thought of walking 13 miles is a total deal breaker for me for the Galloway Dopey plan, never going to happen. I remember reading @Kristia 's reports about doing those walks with her husband and they sounded awful.

AUPr8Hd

Don't be concerned. The Galloway plan will get you prepared. I use Higdon because I like the 3 weekday runs and incorporate more cross training and speed work. I also subscribe to the theory that you don't have to have the high mileage that Galloway will have you get to in his plans. I believe Higdon tops out at 20, whereas Galloway is 26 or so.

With that being said, here's my work through last night.

Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 4x1000m repeats

This weekend is 6 and 10. It's been a good week after returning from WDW. A couple more weeks until I head to Orlando for work and Wine & Dine.

Mr mom

wow, good work everyone.. I had my follow up with my surgeon and unfortunately he told me he smoothed out as much as he could but I have some deep cartilage damage in the knee that cannot be fixed. He hopes it may scar over. The meniscus is all fixed though. My wife seems to know how badly I want to get back at it and today she picked me up a nice set of poles to help me on my winter runs. They have the nice snow attachments and the capped off steel prongs for ice. I could not help myself and actually ran a half mile yesterday with the dog, just to see how painful it would be, leg is pretty damn stiff today, I know it was stupid so soon but hey, a runner has to run. I think about New Hampshire's motto, live free or die. For me it is run free or die trying.

JillC LI

So sorry you're still struggling @Mr mom.

As I stepped out of bed this morning, I thought my leg was going to buckle in pain. Sometime between going to bed last night feeling fine and waking up this morning, my hip is somehow in agony. I could barely walk without pain. I have no idea what I did to it or when. So I walked the dog hoping to loosen it and took an advil and it still was killing me. So what did I do? I went running 7 miles on it because it was a beautiful day and the rest of my house was asleep. Oddly, it hurt less running than walking, but it is now 10:45pm and it is still killing me to walk. What the hell did I do to myself?

Texas84

So sorry you're still struggling @Mr mom.

As I stepped out of bed this morning, I thought my leg was going to buckle in pain. Sometime between going to bed last night feeling fine and waking up this morning, my hip is somehow in agony. I could barely walk without pain. I have no idea what I did to it or when. So I walked the dog hoping to loosen it and took an advil and it still was killing me. So what did I do? I went running 7 miles on it because it was a beautiful day and the rest of my house was asleep. Oddly, it hurt less running than walking, but it is now 10:45pm and it is still killing me to walk. What the hell did I do to myself?

Strange, isn't it? I think I messed up my back while sleeping. Maybe it twisted funny in the middle of the night. But did 16 this morning pain free. Now that I'm back home my back hurts again. Not that bad though.

37 for the week. Getting physically stronger. It's all mental at this point.

Texas84

wow, good work everyone.. I had my follow up with my surgeon and unfortunately he told me he smoothed out as much as he could but I have some deep cartilage damage in the knee that cannot be fixed. He hopes it may scar over. The meniscus is all fixed though. My wife seems to know how badly I want to get back at it and today she picked me up a nice set of poles to help me on my winter runs. They have the nice snow attachments and the capped off steel prongs for ice. I could not help myself and actually ran a half mile yesterday with the dog, just to see how painful it would be, leg is pretty **** stiff today, I know it was stupid so soon but hey, a runner has to run. I think about New Hampshire's motto, live free or die. For me it is run free or die trying.

What did the doc say about running in the future? Does scarring help?

HRHPrincessAriel

I'm sitting here procrastinating my run. I just can't get my head in the game today at all.

I actually woke up early to get out before DH had to leave. I gave up and went home after ONE mile that I could barely get through. It sucked.

So, now I'm sitting here trying to figure out WTH I'm going to do today...I'm faced with treadmill or pushing a jogging stroller for 9-10 miles. Neither sound appealing at all.

fmingo36

Today was all about yoga.
Started my morning with my weekly Sunday morning yoga class.
In the early afternoon, I was lucky enough to be able to do a yoga demonstration for an AUTISM SPEAKS walk. Lots of families with autistic children and getting to share the benefits of yoga with them was amazing!

And later this afternoon I taught yoga to four very silly 6-8 year olds.

Now I've got convince my hubby to take me out to dinner, cuz this momma doesn't have any energy in her to make supper.

atrus79

Firstly thanks to all the replies about the question in my last post! Already halfway through Galloway ... next time I'll go with Higdon I think. The good thing is that with the Dopey ... I just want to have some fun and finish on the last day ;)

With that said ... Saturday was 17 miles at at an 11:42 p/mile pace. Felt really strong ... pace is higher, but so is the mileage, so I'll take it. 2 weeks from the Princeton Half ...

Kristia

Did 8 miles yesterday @11:15 pace. We did a evening run to try and prepare for the W&D. Not crazy about waiting till 6 at night to run! The roads were darker and busier. We will do a 13 mile next weekend and I think we are going to do that in the morning!

dreamfinder

Nothing Saturday, life got in the way. Sun did a 5k race, 20:32, not bad the race was a total cluster though. Was a shame, I've done this one 3-4 times in the past, and it's been a great race for a great cause, and normally the production company does a good job as well. No one really marked the course (I still think we ran the wrong first 1/2 of the course) no one stopping traffic, nothing marking on course volunteers (ran past one kid who had his arms pointing in both directions at a fork in the trail). After I wrapped that up, did another 5k at the gym, 7:30 pace 1 incline, then 30 mins ~9 miles on the bike afterwards. I do miss not being in a training cycle for a full, but the way my schedule has been all over the place, it's probably for the best.

AUPr8Hd

This weekend was great. 7 miles on Saturday @ 11:13 pace and 10 miles on Sunday @ 11:40 pace. Sunday was a run/walk day. 2/1 intervals for the first 7 miles then dropped to 1/1 for the next 2. The last mile was all run.

Saturday was great. Sunday's wasn't bad. I wasn't sure if I was going to run all 10 since I left my pouch along with gels at the house. But, I pushed on. Luckily, I have a couple water fountains to stop at due to university and local parks. But, I didn't have anything after mile 4.5 or so.

Mr mom

What did the doc say about running in the future? Does scarring help?
I think the damage has been there a long time, even before I was running like I did. Physio just wants me to ensure I cross train etc to make sure I build up a lot of other leg muscles and such so as to minimize injuries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom