What did you do?

fmingo36

Just finished a local 5K. Not sure what my official time is but my unofficial time was 30:57. Not bad since I really haven't done much running since the Princess 1/2 Marathon and I've been having a lot of knee problems.
Honestly, I don't know how I managed 13.1!

Found out that my official time was 28:47. I'm pretty happy with that.

Worked out with my trainer for an hour today. Man, she kicked my butt!

fractal

Yesterday -

jogged 4.5 miles and

since we are including coaching as an activity :)

coached boys middle school lacrosse for 2 hours.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
After skimming through this thread? Drank. Heavily.

Not that I need an excuse or anything.......:dazzle:

GoofyFan1

Original Poster
3 miles right at dusk.
Do you find cars aim at you? They're driving me nuts. I wear flashing lights front and back, wear an illuminite jacket and carry an led flashlight that can be seen for close to a mile, yet two or three always come way to close to me for comfort.:mad:

Phonedave

3 miles right at dusk.
Do you find cars aim at you? They're driving me nuts. I wear flashing lights front and back, wear an illuminite jacket and carry an led flashlight that can be seen for close to a mile, yet two or three always come way to close to me for comfort.:mad:

I run on sidewalks when I can, so they really don't have the ability to aim at me. I also run in the park, but there are no lights there, so night time running gets pretty dicey.

Got a 5k on Saturday, so ran a 5k tonight in the rain.

-dave

fractal

Oh yeah. Watch out for cars! - keep your head on a swivel, especially at/near intersections. Everybody's in a frickin rush and even if you have the right of way - they have a 3000lb vehicle and the laws of physics behind them. I almost got killed crossing a small street as some lady was waiting to make a left turn into the street and gunned it between two oncoming cars.

Yesterday did 4.5miles and then coached a lacrosse game - but after I took my son to DQ and inhaled a Mushroom Swiss burger combo.

fmingo36

Last night, did 3 miles on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the stairclimber (Man, that thing is brutal but my trainer says it's helpful for my knee problems).

Today, it's an 1 hour of yoga.

bdevil4

Three miles this morning, and didn't feel that great doing it.

I definitely struggle with the mental aspect of running. I get easily discouraged when I have a bad run, or don't feel I'm making the progress that I should. Then once I'm feeling bad about a run, I am more likely to talk myself out of going for several days, which obviously doesn't set me up to have a good run my next time out! :brick:

Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

fmingo36

I definitely struggle with the mental aspect of running. I get easily discouraged when I have a bad run, or don't feel I'm making the progress that I should. Then once I'm feeling bad about a run, I am more likely to talk myself out of going for several days, which obviously doesn't set me up to have a good run my next time out! :brick:

We've all been there.
I think the mental aspects of training is sometimes harder than the physical. But that's why we're here for encouragement on those days. :wave:
Believe me, there are days that just putting on my sneakers makes me whine "why am I doing this?"

Just have to finish this with-WOO-HOO this is my 500th post! :sohappy:

GoofyFan1

Original Poster

Felt the same way today. Long day teaching and then coming home to run...not today. Opted for weights and core.

I'll run tomorrow:lookaroun

Phonedave

Two books

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by Whitsett, Dolgener, and Kole.

and

Zen and the Art of Running by Shapiro

The first will get you out the door and running

The second will keep you running mile after mile

If only choosing one, I would go with the first. Two of the authors taught a college class on marathoning. Pass/fail. You complete the marathon you pass, if not you fail.

The have put about 200 students through this class, from all walks of life. Former athletes, people who never ran before, overweight people, people with knee problems, etc. Out of the 200 students, ONE did not complete the marathon. It is a 16 week program from being able to run a 5k to being able to complete a marathon. It also has a LOT of mental training as well.

Zen and the Art of Running is a little more advanced from a mental aspect. If you have meditated before, it helps. Very interesting and I found very useful - being able to recognize, categorize, name, and then discard aches and pains. Not ignore them, you acknowledge them for what they are, and then move on,

-dave

bdevil4

Thanks for the encouragement, Fmingo, and congrats on your 500th post! :)

And Dave, thank you for the suggestions. I have had the Non-runner's Marathon Trainer on my shelf for a couple of years now, and in the past have only glanced through it. Yesterday I started to read it in earnest for the first time, I think I will find it to be helpful. Perhaps I will see if I can find a copy of Zen at the library, too.

GoofyFan, I say good for you for doing weights and core! Usually if I decide not to run, I end up doing nothing! ;)

dreamfinder

One of the most important things is just getting out and doing something. Short of being mauled by grizzly bear while running, I don't think there really is such a thing as a bad run. It's much better than sitting inside at a desk all day. Everyone has bad days. If you maybe pushed it a bit to hard one day, dial it back a bit the next day and gradually work yourself back up to where you want to be. Once you really get in the habit of running on a regular schedule, you will find you body almost needs to go out and run. The days I miss my run for some reason, I feel it. I get out of sorts, and almost jonesing to go running. I never would have thought that a few years ago when I started, but wow. It really gets to you. Not sure if its just the endorphin rush, or missing the runners high, but something about it just gets me. Chalk it up to life, and head back out as soon as you can.

bdevil4

Short of being mauled by grizzly bear while running, I don't think there really is such a thing as a bad run.

Hahaha, very true! I have definitely never had a run so bad as being mauled by a grizzly. Now I have something to be positive about! :D In all seriousness, thank you for the encouragement, too.

MCC1, isn't talking Mickey amazing? Made me tear up a little.

Now to the topic of the thread, I went bowling today....does that count?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom