What Defunct Attraction Do You NOT Miss At All?

Courtney1188

Lets face it, while Disney does so many things brilliantly, creatively and perfectly, there are some attractions that we did once,(maybe long ago)and we weren't all that sad to find it had closed or been replaced.

Of course one person's least favorite, is another person's treasured memory.

Memory is a funny thing...there are a couple things (like Delta Dreamflight/If You Had Wings as an example) that I didn't remember all that fondly, but then looking back at old video footage, I realize what a great ride it really was in many ways.

Ok...the one that wins for me, hand down, as the Glad It's Gone attraction...is Body Wars.
Maybe because my fondest memories of it include the feeling faint while waiting over an hour in line, and the horrible vomiting that occurred shortly after it. Most of the ride was spent trying not to feel queasy, and an attempt to keep my lunch down..

Just the simulator motion coupled with lots of bloody red footage did me in.

I do however miss the Wonders Of Life Pavillion, but that's a whole 'nother thread...

What are you glad is now Past?

Definitely agree on Body Wars. Simulators don't bother me at all, but I've always been squeamish about blood, and as a kid it was horrible. Considering the fact that as a child I would literally yell and run away if someone even said the word blood, I'm not sure why my parents even had me ride it. I was young enough that I barely remember the actual ride, just the naseous grossed-out feeling I had for quite some time afterwards.

Also agree with the people who said Alien Encounter...while in theory it's good to have scary rides for the older crowd, there were way too many adults forcing their children on and leaving them terrified, screaming and crying.

Thrill Seeker

20k, everything in the BLSRS building prior to said ride, Sounds Dangerous, Alien Encounter (although it's better than Stitch), Journey into Your Imagination, The Living Seas.

Chrononymous

Original Poster
I never got to ride Journey Into Your Imagination Without Figment

Although I think it's on videotape somewhere...isn't it really about the same as the version With Figment? Do you mean it actually sucked more than the current one?

Now that I can't even imagine...

but ye gods...I DO remember the Goosebumps thing. How frickin pointless was that? Not that there was ever anything interesting in that little corner warehouse in the studios.

EPCOT Explorer

Although I think it's on videotape somewhere...isn't it really about the same as the version With Figment? Do you mean it actually sucked more than the current one?

You are lucky...:lol:

I was scarred for life, when I got off the ride in 2000 expecting Figgy and getting that. This was only compounded, later, as I saw Horizons behind a wall.

It's not the same exact ride, it was more experiment based.

EPCOTPluto

Heh. Some special effects were interesting, though. :zipit:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9I3rSBoIY4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9I3rSBoIY4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

EPCOT Explorer

Heh. Some special effects were interesting, though. :zipit:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9I3rSBoIY4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9I3rSBoIY4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
:dazzle::dazzle::dazzle::dazzle:

dxwwf3

The key for me on my list is do not miss AT ALL. I don't really MISS American Journeys, for example, but I did enjoy it and would like to see it again. So I can't put things like that on the list.

MK - Mike Fink Keelboats. Also Pooh's Playful Spot, Magic Carpets of Aladdin and of course SGE would be on the list if they closed.

Epcot - Most of the replaced Innoventions exhibits and the current SSE ending will also be on the list once it is replaced

DHS - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Doug Live, Disney's One Saturday Morning (Monster Sound Show replacement
When They Close: American Idol Experience, the current Magic of Disney Animation, Playhouse Disney, Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground will be there.

AK - Tarzan Rocks, Pocahontas show, Discovery River Boats, Dinosaur Jubilee
When They Close: Festival of the Lion King and the rest of Camp Minnie Mickey for that matter.

Courtney1188

The key for me on my list is do not miss AT ALL. I don't really MISS American Journeys, for example, but I did enjoy it and would like to see it again. So I can't put things like that on the list.

MK - Mike Fink Keelboats. Also Pooh's Playful Spot, Magic Carpets of Aladdin and of course SGE would be on the list if they closed.

Epcot - Most of the replaced Innoventions exhibits and the current SSE ending will also be on the list once it is replaced

DHS - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Doug Live, Disney's One Saturday Morning (Monster Sound Show replacement
When They Close: American Idol Experience, the current Magic of Disney Animation, Playhouse Disney, Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground will be there.

AK - Tarzan Rocks, Pocahontas show, Discovery River Boats, Dinosaur Jubilee
When They Close: Festival of the Lion King and the rest of Camp Minnie Mickey for that matter.

I'm surprised by Festival of the Lion King...I've always found it to be quite impressive, especially considering that it was basically thrown together at the last minute. The parts where the audience's make animal sounds is a bit cheesy, but the kids love it. But the performers are always excellent.

EpcotServo

I'll answer that question with a Skit:

"One guy explains to another guy how Journey Into Imagination was, immediately after riding it, in the form of a Frequently Asked Questions page."

~A Playlet in One Acts by Epcot T. Servo~

Q: So how was the new Imagination ride?

A: It was...Interesting.

Q: It was changed for this Millennium Celebration going on right now, right?

A: Yep, it's brand new.

Q: Is there anything leftover from the old ride?

A: Nope. It's all new.

Q: So there's only new stuff along that huge track? The ride must be massive!

A: Nope. They took out half the ride track.

Q: What? Really? Well...Ok. What's...What's there now?

A: Queue.

Q: Oh, well. In that case, it must be a pretty impressive queue, right? That's alot of room for interactive things and details.

A: Nope, it's actually a really small queue. There's a neat forced perspective hallway and some doors though.

Q: That's it?

A: Yep.

Q: Wow. So what else is in that space, er...I mean, let's just continue on to the ride. What's the story?

A: Oh, there's no real story.

Q: Ok, so it's like the old Imagination, traveling through all these different scenes...

A: It's kind of like that...

Q: So what happens on the turntable.

A: They took that out.

Q: Really? Uhhhh...Why?

A: Because it was really big and it spun around.

Q: Uhhhh...Yea. That's why it was cool.

A: *Shrugs*

Q: So what is the first scene?

A: Well you go through the Imagination Scanner...

Q: Wait, Imagination Scanner? That sounds Awesome!

A: It's two feet of rings and some red spotlights. Like a Tunnel of Love.

Q: And then there's an Imagination Scanner?

A: Nope, that was it. Then you look at a mirror and they reflect some stuff behind you.

Q: Oh, and then you see your trippy imagination and take a journey into it. That's cool!

A: Nope, just some red lights.

Q: So all that's in your imagination...is some red lights?

A: Pretty much. They twinkle a little bit.

Q: Isn't that kind of insulting to suggest you have no imagination?

A: Oh, definitely.

To be fair, there's sometimes a "Vacancy" sign and a dim lightbulb that float up from your head, but that effect rarely works.

Q: That's even worse!

A: Like I said, it NEVER works.

Q: Alright, alright. Moving on...

Q: Nope.

Q: Huh?

A: You don't move on yet.

Q: Why not?

A: The cars cascade due to shoddy timing and you end up sitting in the dark for a few minutes.

Q: So you've just been insulted, and now you're sitting in the dark?

A: Oh yea, and there's a creepy low resonating hum sound. You know? Like you're sitting in a 72' Ford waiting to get murdered with the radio on static by a creepy guy wearing an Eric Idle rubber mask.

Q: That's really freaking disturbing.

A: Have I mentioned the Baby with a Camera Head riding a Flying Headless Zebra?

Q: WHAT THE @$^#*&*!?!?!? WHERE is THAT?

A: Oh, I'm sorry, that's in a different scene, my bad.

A: Are you okay, you look sweaty and uncomfortable?

Q: No...No. I'm okay. Let's uhhh...Let's finish this...The ummm. The Dreamport is next right?

A: Nope. The Sound Lab.

Q: What happens in the Sound Lab?

A: Well, it's another dark room. And then you hear a train. Like an Invisible Train passes through you.

Q: Alright, now we're getting somewhere. Like Ghostbusters 2?

A: Only not cool. Then you move on to the Illusion Lab.

Q: That also sounds cool...But what does that have to do with Imagination?

A: ...Nothing really.

Q: I'm gonna' stop you right there...Sound, Illusion...Does ANYTHING in this ride actually apply to the subject of showing the qualities of Imagination.

A: ...Come to think of it, I don't think so.

A: Are you sure you're alright, you look upset again? Need a glass of water?

Q: No, No. Just keep going. What does the illusion lab look like? Really wild and out there right?

A: Actually, it's a really big dark empty room.

Q: Just like the last two rooms?

A: Well, a little bigger, but...Empty, Dark...Yea. Yep. Pretty much the same.

Q: Will the last Four scenes in the ride after this one also be contained in big dark empty rooms?

A: Yep. How'd you know?

Q: Educated guess. What effects are in the illusion lab?

A: Well, there's a cardboard hallway...

Q: Hold it...Wasn't there a cardboard hallway in the queue?

A: Yes, only this one looks like a little funky. And there's a big fake magnifying glass without a lens.

Q: Why no lens?

A: Well, they ask you if it's actually magnifying or if it was your imagination...

Q: But distorted perspective, literally has nothing to do with Imagination...

A: Also you can easily tell that it's a distorted set, because...there's no lens.

Q: Is there anything else?

A: There's a Concrete Block that falls for some reason, a Butterfly in a giant cage...Oh yea, and a fish that flies out of a waterless aquarium.

Q: Wow, it really looks like that?

A: On video, yes. In person you can easily tell that it's a TV screen on a track. In fact, the first time you ride it, you won't understand that it was supposed to look like anything other than a TV Screen on a Track.

Also it breaks alot too and just sits there.

Q: Is the music in this ride good?

A: Have you ever heard nails on chalkboard?

Q: Yes, now that you mention it...

A: It's that, but played backwards over and over again.

Q: I quite literally want to kill myself just thinking about riding this ride. It's been like 10 minutes in at this point right?

A: Nope, you've only been on it for like two minutes at this point.

Q: Son of a...

A: Next is the Color Lab.

Q: Now THIS was cool in the original...is it really colorful or is it another...

A: It's another big dark empty room with video monitors and junk on the floor.

Q: Wonderful.

A: They just play random noises REALLY LOUD in here.

Q: But...Haven't they already done a sound lab?

A: Yes, but the TV screens are SHOWING colors, so, technically it's the color lab.

Q: Is this the darkness of sheer loathing and contempt pouring into the recesses of my cracked, bitter, Heart?

A: Yes. Next is the Making Connections Lab.

Q: So Sound, illusion, color, and making connections lab? What in the name of all that is and ever shall be do any of these "Labs" make sense in connection to Imagination?

A: There's also the Gravity Lab.

Q: Please leave me alone you sick twisted travesty of a human being.

A: No Seriously, Gravity Lab!

Q: Because nothing says Imagination like...Gravity. Do they at least teach kids what gravity is?

A: Nope, it's just a truck and a toilet and some random junk stapled on the ceiling. It's kind of neat looking.

Q: So the most entertaining portion of the ride consists of hanging products from Home Depot and Goodwill on the ceiling?

A: Looks that way.

Q: So now that you've been insulted by the trashiest assemblage of random junk, how do you top it?

A: Remember the Imagination Scanner?

Q: MY EYES ARE BLEEDING

A: Well you go through the Imagination Scanner one last time, and seeing all this stuff makes your imagination go ballistic and the big surprise of the ride happens...

Q: A...A Surprise? I like surprises! What...What is the surprise?

A: Well you know how you're in a small, gray, Dimly Lit room?

Q: Uh uh...

A: Well it turns out...you were in a large empty dark room the whole time!

Q: I hate you...So much...It hurts...

A: There's also some really weird things floating around...

Q: Like...

A: Ummm...Spinning Shrimp. A typewriter...some cheese...A baby...with a Camera Head...stuff like that.

Q: So the visions of a psychotic criminal and the contents of his junk drawer? That's your imagination?

A: Supposedly after riding this attraction, yes. That's what they're saying there.

Q: Maybe the whole attraction is a vicious metaphorical art piece, lamenting the lack of vision in business people, and a subversive statement on how stupid people are and how an excruciating look at painful metaphors haunt their psyche and fill their minds with horrors beyond imagination.

A: Did I mention the upside down toilet spraying possible urine-contaminated water at your face?

Q:...I'm not sure if that hurts or helps my Art Installation theory.

A: Anyways, after Figment talks to you...

Q: Wait? Figment is in this? I thought they took him out?

A: Sorta'...Guess they had a change of heart, so he's kinda' just floatin' there at the end talking for some reason.

Q: And when you finally stop, mercifully letting us off this thing?

A: That's actually pretty cool, a neat voice goes "Reality Restored."

Q: But even with Reality Restored, will the pain and frustration suffered in the dark soulless labyrinths of this attraction, and the strains of pining warped spine-cracking tones of the musical horror you endured, ever truly be "Restored" in your heart?

A: Nope.

Q: One last question...Is there any more Large Dark Empty Rooms in the attraction?

A: Now that you mention it...Remember the Imageworks upstairs?

...THE END

EPCOTPluto

A: Have I mentioned the Baby with a Camera Head riding a Flying Headless Zebra?

Q: WHAT THE @$^#*&*!?!?!? WHERE is THAT?

Q: Hold it...Wasn't there a cardboard hallway in the queue?

A: Yes, only this one looks like a little funky. And there's a big fake magnifying glass without a lens.

Q: Why no lens?

A: Well, they ask you if it's actually magnifying or if it was your imagination...

Q: But distorted perspective, literally has nothing to do with Imagination...

A: Also you can easily tell that it's a distorted set, because...there's no lens.

Q: Is there anything else?

A: There's a Concrete Block that falls for some reason, a Butterfly in a giant cage...Oh yea, and a fish that flies out of a waterless aquarium.

Q: Wow, it really looks like that?

A: On video, yes. In person you can easily tell that it's a TV screen on a track. In fact, the first time you ride it, you won't understand that it was supposed to look like anything other than a TV Screen on a Track.

Also it breaks alot too and just sits there.

Q: Because nothing says Imagination like...Gravity. Do they at least teach kids what gravity is?

A: Nope, it's just a truck and a toilet and some random junk stapled on the ceiling. It's kind of neat looking.

Q: So the most entertaining portion of the ride consists of hanging products from Home Depot and Goodwill on the ceiling?

A: Looks that way.
OK, OK, I understand about the effects. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The whole ride consisted of this.

Great skit, BTW. Perhaps you should continue after Imageworks.... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom