What Dark Rides Would You Add?

MickeyMind

Original Poster
Dark rides are sort of the backbone of a Disney park. If money and space had no limit.What movies would you turn in to dark rides? and where would they go?

Magic Kingdom:

I would add a pinocchio, alice, and make peter pan bigger on the scale of the new snow white coaster or give neverland its own mini-land.

Epcot

I would give china and germany some sort of dark ride. Italy some sort of gondola attraction. Definitely add Mt. Fuji to Japan.

Something on the scale of horizons/world of motion to future world.

Hollywood Studios

Muppet ride. Indy.
Monsters inc. and wall-e or up in pixar place.
Relocate Toontown here, made just like the one in dl but instead of the roger rabbit ride, make a dark ride where you can literally find just about every disney character made.

Animal Kingdom

Lion king dark ride with Pride rock being the "weenie"
Fox and the hound dark ride
Bambi Dark ride
Jungle Book ride
and maybe a pocahontas one, just because it did have some pretty good songs in it.

Prototype82

A dark ride in China would be neat, but there's already an attraction there. You'd have to do some painful demolishing to make that happen.

Rhine River Cruise in Germany with the cologne cathedral.

Mount Fuji with a modern-day Tokyo street. The tracks could head over this small, new outdoor shopping area. It would be an explosion of color at night. Part of this area, as well as the subway station that will lead guests to their trains, will be the queue. Mitsukoshi would sponsor and inside slow parts of the coaster, you'd see famous Japanese castles, landmarks, and festivals with the help of models and sets.

United Kingdom tour cars. Interactive queue inside the gothic halls of a cloister. Guests ride modern looking vehicles with audio in the back of the headrests. 4 Passengers to a car, it would take you through the countryside and through the heart of London with elaborate sets and convincing scaled down models of landmarks. Lots of chaotic elements for adrenaline junkies.

Kirk88

Funny, I was thinking about this the other night at work. I agree with everyone so far! Especially Lion King & Tron! I was thinking though, isn't Disney doing the new Oz movie? Anything Oz related would make an AWESOME ride!

fractal

- How about a dark ride that would act as a quasi-sequel for SSE and CoP

Something that would take us into the future, give us an optimistic view of tomorrow. Today's media is overloaded with dystopian visions from Movies to TV to video games - I say Disney needs to lead the charge and give us a vision of a future we can actually look forward to.

An updated Horizons type ride.

Rescue Ranger

Tarzan attraction and Lion King Ride to AK

Bring back Journey into the Imagination with Dreamfinder & Figment, Tron, Wall-e and more rides to some countries and other areas in Epcot

Villains attraction, more Muppets, Pixar and Roger & Jessica Rabbit to HS

Pinocchio ride, Chip n Dale attraction & new Nightmare Before Xmas holiday ride/attraction to MK

MerlinTheGoat

The following posts contains excessive details and rambling. As you can probably imagine, i give Epcot a lot of attention here.

Magic Kingdom:
- Sleeping Beauty (in place of where Snow White is), same sort of ride system as Snow White before it, bigger and better scenes with more advanced audio animatronics.
- Pinocchio
- Peter Pan redo, longer and more advanced show scenes and figures. Ride system similar to ET at Universal, high capacity pirate ships. Maybe add a little bit of slow downs and speed during certain instances (Paris' Peter Pan has some minor thrills for kids). Redone audio of course, along with real samples from the films (Second Star to the Right in the queue) and rerecorded voice samples. Have a Pan vs Hook battle with some advanced AA's.
- Aladdin dark ride. Dunno whether it would go in an Adventureland expansion or Fantasyland. Obviously would use flying carpets as ride vehicles and have to use similar ride system to ET at Universal (or a smaller scale Kuka arm). Lots of potential here though (Cave of Wonders would be amazing).

Epcot:
- Imagination redo, 'nuff said (just bring Tony Baxter in and let him work his magic, give Dreamfinder his place back too)
- Horizons 2. Updated reboot of the original ride with similar but new show scenes.
- Would also be nice to find a way to restore World of Motion, not sure if that could be done. Bring in a thrills-to-slow rides balance. Epcot went from having too little thrill rides to too few slower rides (at least ones worth riding).
- Not a new ride, but i'd restore Spaceship Earth's original communication theme. Restore the original cut shown scenes, with some technology upgrades. I'd bring back either Jeremy Irons as narrator, or someone who shares a similarly smooth and meaningful voice. Doesn't have to be him, but I feel Judy Dench's voice is too "sharp" for such an experience. The descent sequence was perfect to me (just needed some slight technology upgrades), and the symphonic music was timeless. Get Verizon or someone to sponsor it.
- Maelstrom could use some work in terms of length and more show scenes (if they could fit more in it).
- Either Mr Toad or Alice in Wonderland over in UK (or both, if either would fit)
- Reformat WoL into a computer pavilion with a Tron ride (e ticket thrill dark ride). I know of the light cycle and that similar tech for a coaster was designed for a motorcycle like car, but i feel the cool neon grid car from Tron Legacy would be more comfortable and provide superior capacity (possibly more safe as well)- http://www.cinemaspy.ca/img/user/tron-car_650.jpg
- In the computer pavilion, also have a slow dark omnimover ride that shrinks you similar to the old Journey Through Inner Space. It takes you through the circuit board of a computer as well as through an internet network visualized through creative means. Unloading area would showcase some of the latest prototype computer tech. Narrated by Jeff Bridges. Pavilion sponsored by Apple.
- Universe of Energy into a more modern trackless ride system (like Hunny Hunt). More extensive showcasing of various forms of energy besides just focusing on oil and fossil fuels (not just a passing mention of solar and such). Have elaborate sets of various ways the energy is converted into useable sources and animatronics. Ending with future potential sources that haven't been standardized yet. Have the old theme song implemented into the ending.
- Mt Fuji or updated Matterhorn type ride. Same sort of ride as Matterhorn, bobsled with a minor thrill factor. But Have some more indoors caverns scenes, slows down at intervals (making it have dark ride elements). If themed after Matterhorn, perhaps they can implement some scenes from the upcoming movie (assuming it's not total garbage).
- Canadian River Expedition. Indoors boat ride like Pirates. 2-3 minor drops just like Pirates at CA/Paris, no height requirement. Explores the great outdoors of Canada, with its lush forests, rivers, mountains, icy tundras, etc. It'd also have a "back in time" element as well with ancient native tribal people. Animatronics of wildlife such as bears, wolves, caribou, wild cats, seals, etc etc. A smaller scale Niagara Falls would look amazing. I'd end it all with the final drop putting you back into Canada of today, forced perspective model of Quebec and Toronto at night, with the night sky painted with a digitally mapped aurora borealis.

Hollywood Studios:
- Indy ride (no brainer, doesn't have to be a 1:1 clone, just same ride system and theme) can go around where the stunt show is
- New toontown more akin to CA's with a Roger Rabbit ride
- I'd enjoy a REAL Toy Story dark ride (not that Midway stuff), maybe an expansion to Pixar Place
- Maybe a slower moving flying Star Wars dark ride for a potential "Lucas Land". Taking on some of the expanded universe stuff (though with familiar faces and scenes). I'd use either a Kuka arm or something akin to ET at Universal for the ride system. Nothing that would require a height limit though. Ride vehicle can be some kind of spaceship obviously (maybe an open cockpit one). It can slow down and speed up some, but nothing thrilling or jarring. Advanced animatronics (creatures and people). Would be cool to see a lightsaber battle between a jedi and sith.

Animal Kingdom:
- Lion King dark ride
- Jungle Book flume-esque ride (Splash Mountain like with fairly numerous drops, one of them large. Mostly indoors with major detailed show scenes along with figures and music, some minor outdoors parts. Facade outwardly themed to King Louie's temple. Height requirement similar to Splash.
- Gut Dinorama and build a POTC-esque original indoor boat ride (two or three minor drops like CA's and Paris' POTC, no height requirement). Good opportunity to use some of the old dinos and scenes from the old Universe of Energy
- Mysterious Island might work at AK, similar to the Disneysea one.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would add a "Mary Poppins" dark ride in Magic Kingdom

I agree about Mary Poppins...I think it would be a great Dark Ride.
  • Mary Poppins
  • Pinocchio
  • Alice would be cool too, but not just any short version..I want the WHOLE story retold! :D Just imagine all the special effects.
    If Epcot can have a 40 minute attraction (UoE) why not the Magic Kingdom too? :lookaroun

TropicalFig8

Magic Kingdom:
- An attraction kind of like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (There's no chance but I wish it would happen.)
- Alien Encounter (Kick Stitch out of Tommorowland :p )
- An Alice in Wonderland ride

EPCOT
- IMAGINATION. (My fan dream is for them to let Tony Baxter back in and Dreamfinder by Figment's side once again.)
- Horizons (Many of my friends tell me how they really loved this ride and want it back. As do I. It's a beautiful attraction. I hate Mission: Space)
- World of Motion (This is the attraction that my best friend and I share together as one of our favorites. It's her dream to ride it once again. She rode Test Track with me and hated it.)
- Wonders Of Life (I would really like to ride Body Wars and watch Cranium Command.)
- An attraction kind of like Kitchen Kabaret or Food Rocks (I love Kitchen Kabaret but my best friend loves Food Rocks. We wrote a script for a combined show starring both KK and FR. I should post it sometime. )
- Maybe a Germany ride

Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Move Monster's Inc Laugh Floor to DHS (Tomorrowland is not for Pixar.)
- Monster's Inc Coaster
- Muppet Studios

Animal Kingdom
- BEASTLY KINGDOM (Enough Said.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom