What CP's should bring when moving in?

Borf7

Original Poster
As most of you know, I'm moving in on August 24th. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I should bring. I lived at home for college so I never had to move anywhere and I'm afraid I'm going to forget something. If anyone can tell me things NOT to forget it'll be greatly appreciated. And no matter how stupid you think it is, tell me about it. Don't underestimate my ability to be unprepared. 13 days til im in DISNEY!! see you all soon

kal1484

Here's a list I found....kinda went over it, so if something sounds weird, it's cuz I missed it.

Documents and Other Important Stuff

Valid ID/passport
Birth Certificate
Backup copies of ID's, etc.
Driver's license/vehicle registration
Auto insurance card
Airline/train tickets
Travel itinerary/booking confirmation
Health insurance
Notify credit card companies, utilities, etc. of change of address.
Address book

Credit cards and checks/traveler's checks
Insurance (travel/luggage/emergency)
Necessary immunizations/medications
List of friends' email addresses/phone numbers
Photos of your family and friends

Swimming/sun items

Swimming trunks/swimsuit
Beach/swimming shoes
Towel/bathrobe
Suntan lotion/sunscreen
Sunglasses

Sports/Hobbies

Books/magazines
Camera
Film
Cassette tapes/CD's/radio/walkman
Batteries
Sports equipment
Shoe cleaner/polish

Toiletries

Soap/shower-gel/shampoo
Face lotion/creme
Toothpaste/toothbrush
Deodorant
Comb, hairbrush
Manicure kit
Shaving kit
Hair dryer
Contact lenses/case/solution
Body lotion
Hairspray, mousse/hair gel
Hair clips, hair net, barrettes
Make-up
Feminine hygiene

Clothing

Underwear
Pants/shorts/belts
Sweaters (it gets chilly in Winter)
T-shirts
Dress clothes/skirt (one outfit for Traditions)
Necktie
Jacket/coat
Socks/nylons/tights
Pyjamas/nightshirt/nightgown
Hats, caps, etc.
Day shoes/walking shoes/running
shoes
Sandals
Dress Shoes

Towel, bed linens, wash rag
Insect repellent
Travel alarm clock
Travel guide
City map
Travel map
Extra set of glasses
Snack food
Sunglasses
Umbrella
CD Discman/Walkman
CDs
Favorite Videos
Computer
Small Stereo
TV/VCR/DVD
Combination/padlock for your locker

CrashNet

This question is for past CPers who know what the apartments are like. I have a desktop computer, but if necessary I can borrow my dad's laptop. Would you recommend bringing a desktop. Is there room for one in the apartment or in your room? Or should I bring a laptop?

DCL

cac2889 said:
This question is for past CPers who know what the apartments are like. I have a desktop computer, but if necessary I can borrow my dad's laptop. Would you recommend bringing a desktop. Is there room for one in the apartment or in your room? Or should I bring a laptop?

Well, I am not a past CPer, but I am bringing a desktop computer as well. I have talked to a few former CPers who brought desktops down as well. I do know that we're going to have to buy, or bring something to put the computer on, though.

DCL

P.S... I also have a question...

On wdwcollegeprogram.com, they suggest that you bring a small TV and stuff, but do they provide you with a TV in the living room, or not? I'm not going to be able to bring my TV down with me or anything, so I was curious.

kal1484

cac2889 said:

It was answered by a past CPer. :)

There was room for my desktop, however most of my roomates also had their laptops, so we only had one desktop.

They don't give you anything except for silverware. :) I'd bring a TV if you can, if not, your roomates might bring one, or two.

kal1484

Oh, and the list is from a CP site for packing. :)

I have a list on my other computer, if I can find the CD i put the file on, I'll try to post it.

CrashNet

Yeah...I was going to say something about a TV. I don't watch much TV, but its always something that brings people together. Its a great icebreaker if you have nothing else. Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring mine. Its just too dang big! :lol: Here's hoping one of my other 5 or 7 roommates brings one. :lol:

Thank you for answering my question! I do some webdevelopment with a few clients that I intend to continue during my internship, so that with your reply pretty much answered my question. Thanks again, to both of you! :)

egionet

One thing that Kelly forgot, and I think is the most important: bring your car if you can. I don't know how anyone lives with those Dynamic busses. Also I would go with the laptop is possible. All but one of my roommates had laptops. And her desktop/desk took up a lot of room in her bedroom. The rest of us just left them on our nightstands.

And be sure to bring clothes to go out in because I'm sure you'll be hitting PI as often as possible. And if you have them, black slip resistant shoes because there is very good chance in operations, that's what you'll be wearing. Unless you get parking, they wear white, I believe. I brought the shoes I used to where when I waited tables, and that's what I wore everyday to work.

Hope this helps. Have fun!!!

stitch82

so...my car is ridiculously jam packed. i need help.

former CPs...if there is something that you brought, that you could have lived without, what was it?

Maria

I didn´t do CP, I was in the Fellowship Program for internationals, and lived at the Commons 6 years ago, but I guess the same things still apply.

I would say bring money to buy the stuff you need - do not carry it. For instance, a tv can be bought among the roommates or from those who are leaving. Same applies to the dvd, iron (if you like ironning... I spent a whole year fine without it!), cdplayer, etc.

I remember I went to WalMart when I arrived and bought extra towels (housing gave us new sheets and towels), a phone for my room, a cd player and clothes hangers. My roommate had a computer that I borrowed when I wanted to check my email only.

I can´t remember anything that I desperately needed and didn´t carry from home.

While you are living in Orlando, you will be buying tons of stuff that will be cooler and newer than the ones you have at home, so I would say just bring your clothes and shoes and just get used to your new place and city and live as if you were "home".

Don´t forget a medicine kit with your stuff and have fun! :)

Maria

I would reduce the previous list to:

Copy of your documents.
Passport
Driver´s license
Vehicle registration and the insurance documents
Health insurance
Notify credit card companies, utilities, etc. of change of address.
Address book
Necessary immunizations/medications
Photos of your family and friends if you love them... ;-)
Camera
Toothpaste/toothbrush - please!
Deodorant - please!
Comb, hairbrush
Shaving kit specially if travelling on full moon
Feminine hygiene products if you are a girl, of course!

Clothing:
Sweaters (it gets chilly in Winter)
A night dress if you don´t want to buy it there
Dress clothes/skirt (one outfit for Traditions)
Necktie
Jacket/coat
Socks/nylons/tights
Pyjamas/nightshirt/nightgown
closed toe shoes
Sandals

Travel alarm clock
Combination/padlock for your locker

Think of what you will need at the next morning and don´t forget that stuff. The rest, can be bought once there and save the hassle of carrying it. ;-)

BigPigletFan

stitch82 said:
so...my car is ridiculously jam packed. i need help.

former CPs...if there is something that you brought, that you could have lived without, what was it?
Mine is too! Go to Wal*mart and get space saver bags. You pack clothing and such in there and then zip it closed like a big ziplock bag with a vacuum. That's what I did and it's still packed! The bags aren't cheap but they work. Trash bags will also work but they won't lock in the air as well. So I guess it depends on how far you are going... maybe the bags are a better investment?

kal1484

I never ever used an iron either. I don't think anyone in my apartment had one either, if I remember right.

I agree with Maria though, if you can buy it down here do it. The only reason I brought all my stuff was so my parents could by it for me. Sounds bad, but I did go my whole college program without any more money from them. Anyways, the one thing I definatly would buy down here is your comforter. The Wal-mart down here is new, and has a good selection, as well as the Target, but I don't think the bus goes there.

Just remember, your parents can ship things down if you get here and think "I can't live w/o my ***" and HAVE FUN! :) maybe I'll see some of ya'll

stitch82

good idea about the space saver bags...i think i'll check them out. i thought about it before, but heard they are expensive. at this point, i think it's gonna be worth it!!

also a good idea with the comforter...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom