What camera bag to bring? & WHAT CAMERA GEAR

xracer4844

Original Poster
The only reason I want to bring a tripod is for fireworks. I am going to have 8 days, so I feel like I'm going to have lots of time to shoot. The tripod will also help with some landscape shots I'd like to do. I'll bring a remote shutter switch as well. At least I can mess around with some longer exposure stuff in my spare time.

NowInc

The only reason I want to bring a tripod is for fireworks. I am going to have 8 days, so I feel like I'm going to have lots of time to shoot. The tripod will also help with some landscape shots I'd like to do. I'll bring a remote shutter switch as well. At least I can mess around with some longer exposure stuff in my spare time.

A tripod is something few think they need....until they don't have it with them. The MeFoto's are top notch for theme parks, in my opinion.

Dragion

My stay is the same...total of 8 days.

I'm not making this trip into a photo op...my wife won't have it.
My main objective is to have fun with the family and capture our memories along the way.

xracer4844

Original Poster
A tripod is something few think they need....until they don't have it with them. The MeFoto's are top notch for theme parks, in my opinion.

Out of the mefoto tripods they have the Globe Trotter, Road Trip, and Backpacker. Which one do you like most? I feel as though the Road Trip is the right mix between support weight and size but I haven't seen it or handled it in person...

DVCPluto

I have only used my Sony nex at the parks and have absolutely LOVED the pictures I have gotten. Most of the time, it lives on my neck. For rides, I throw it in a bag :eek:- I'm really bad about protecting my camera and have learned the hard way (thank goodness not at WDW).

...Which is why I'm loving this thread. Thanks to the OP for asking the question, and thanks for the replies!! I'm going to do some bag shopping!!

NowInc

Out of the mefoto tripods they have the Globe Trotter, Road Trip, and Backpacker. Which one do you like most? I feel as though the Road Trip is the right mix between support weight and size but I haven't seen it or handled it in person...

Roadtrip. Hands down.

xracer4844

Original Poster
NowInc - what are you shooting with at the park? What do you bring etc. Any advice for my first trip in october on photo spots/best time of day etc?? Really like your videos!

NowInc

NowInc - what are you shooting with at the park? What do you bring etc. Any advice for my first trip in october on photo spots/best time of day etc?? Really like your videos!

Main Camera Gear:
Nikon D7100
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

MeFoto Roadtrip

LowePro Flipside 400 AW
LowePro Slingshot 202 AW
(depends on my mood and how much I feel like bringing)

Two Extra camera batteries (a MUST!)
Microfiber cloth
Basic cleaning kit (air blower, lenspen/brush)
Wireless Trigger
Wired Trigger

Non Camera Gear:
Ponchos (much cheaper to buy outside of the parks)
Wet Naps (to clean your hands off after you eat to avoid greasy gear)
Dry napkins (to dry off any water that may hit)
Asprin (because... headaches)

Regarding October spots/times:

The fall/Halloween decorations are fantastic this time of year. Be sure to snag a good nigh-time shot of mainstreet with the pumpkin lights (the tripod will come in handy here). Thankfully the weather is usually really nice here that time of year, so although rain CAN happen, its less likely than other times. Keep note of what day you will be at Magic Kingdom and find out if the Not so scary halloween party is going on. If it is, the park closes early for "regular" guests, before dark even, so plan around that.

xracer4844

Original Poster
Main Camera Gear:
Nikon D7100
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

MeFoto Roadtrip

LowePro Flipside 400 AW
LowePro Slingshot 202 AW
(depends on my mood and how much I feel like bringing)

Two Extra camera batteries (a MUST!)
Microfiber cloth
Basic cleaning kit (air blower, lenspen/brush)
Wireless Trigger
Wired Trigger

Non Camera Gear:
Ponchos (much cheaper to buy outside of the parks)
Wet Naps (to clean your hands off after you eat to avoid greasy gear)
Dry napkins (to dry off any water that may hit)
Asprin (because... headaches)

Regarding October spots/times:

The fall/Halloween decorations are fantastic this time of year. Be sure to snag a good nigh-time shot of mainstreet with the pumpkin lights (the tripod will come in handy here). Thankfully the weather is usually really nice here that time of year, so although rain CAN happen, its less likely than other times. Keep note of what day you will be at Magic Kingdom and find out if the Not so scary halloween party is going on. If it is, the park closes early for "regular" guests, before dark even, so plan around that.

Nice clean simple set up! I love it. What lens do you find yourself using the most? I don't own a fisheye however I have the Tamron 10-24, and the Canon 50 f1.8. It's so cheap. and AWESOME. I feel like that is all I'll really need. The 10-24 will probably be used most frequently.

I have grown to love my Sony Nex. After spending 2 weeks with it, in three different countries in Europe, it really served me well. I'm just going to use the 16mm pancake and the 18-55. It's not the best mirrorless camera, and the glass isn't that great...but there has to be a trade off somewhere.

NowInc

Nice clean simple set up! I love it. What lens do you find yourself using the most? I don't own a fisheye however I have the Tamron 10-24, and the Canon 50 f1.8. It's so cheap. and AWESOME. I feel like that is all I'll really need. The 10-24 will probably be used most frequently.

I have grown to love my Sony Nex. After spending 2 weeks with it, in three different countries in Europe, it really served me well. I'm just going to use the 16mm pancake and the 18-55. It's not the best mirrorless camera, and the glass isn't that great...but there has to be a trade off somewhere.

90% of the time I stick wide with the Tokina. I do switch to the 35mm sometimes when I feel like getting a bit more intimate with my compositions tho :)

ddbowdoin

Photo Gear all held in a Billingham Hadley Pro

Hasselblad 503CW w/ 60MM (wide angle, close to a 30mm on small format equivalent)
A12 film back
Polaroid SX70 body and a few packs of integral film
Gossen Lunapro Digital Light Meter
Lee Filter System (10 stop ND, red, green, 3 stop graduated ND)
Film (like 10 rolls just to be safe, will only shoot 2 a day on average - 24 frames total of 6x6 negs)

Tripod - Really Right Stuff TVC 33

BigRedDad

I was the lug around everything camera dad once when we had a stroller to lug it. Now without the stroller I have found what was truly needed. I have a Canon 7D with the standard lense Sigma 28-55mm F2.8. This is all that I need in the parks. I will bring the 70-200m F2.8 to AK. I just bought an inexpensive refurb HD camcorder. Not sure if I will take it with me to the parks or not.

As for bags, I have found that my SwissGear computer backpack is the best. It can fit everything I need in it: Camera, camcorder, change of close for daughter, snack, and other "stuff". Works excellent. Its not worth spending so much on a camera bag when the camera will be out most of the time anyway.

Jahona

While it's not a camera bag I've had great experiences with Maxpedition Versipack. It's a cross body sling and the center pouch was nicely padded and large enough to fit my Nikon D100 and later D610 and a midsize lens. I would run it with a water bottle, a pancho stored under the camera, and a 7 inch tablet in the CCW pocket. It also fit nicely into on rides.

bq69

016.JPG
016.JPG
012.jpg
Here is my experience and opinion. I just came back from Disney last week. Spent 10 days down there with the family (children are 6 and soon to be 4). I consider myself an avid amateur photographer who is willing to spend a little extra to have some nice gear.

This is what traveled with me:
Nikon D5100 body
Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VR
- http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-VR-Zoom-Nikkor-70-300mm-f%2F4.5-5.6G-IF-ED.html
Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR- http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-16-85mm-f%2F3.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html
Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 Art - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-a

In all honesty, I left the 70-300 in our hotel room. I was able to get 90% of all the shots I wanted with the other 2 lenses. Sure, were there times I wanted the extra reach such as being at Animal Kingdom, yup. Was it worth it to lug it around the park. IMO, no, therefore it stayed in our room.

Did I wish I had a 70-200mm f/2.8 for Fantasmic and a tripod, sure, but I sucked it up and made do with what equipment I did bring. It simply was not worth lugging around a 70-200 f2.8 or 70-300 f/4.

Now with that being said, my plan was this. I would use the Sigma 18-35mm for fireworks, the lighted parade, and character meal/indoor character photo opportunities, and indoor rides (obviously with no flash). I used the 16-85 for everything else. Yes there where times I kept the 18-35 on for some outdoor shots and vica versa.

Some have complained that the Sigma is a bit heavy. In all honesty, it does have some weight. However, that is the price you pay for having a very nice piece of glass. All in all I was very pleased with the photos I took. For a 10 day trip I have about 3700 photos. Yes there are some great shots and yes there are some duds. That is just the way it is. I took about 200 photos of the lighted parade for which I have maybe about 20-40 really good shoots. Same with the Magic Kingdom fireworks. (Full disclosure, we had reservations for the desert buffet and had a very nice unobstructed view of the castle and the show). Sure I wish I had a tripod, but I just jacked up the ISO and try to hold still has best I could. Out of the 100-150 shots I have about 20 that I think are pretty good. (there are some that if you look really hard, it might be just a tad bit fuzzy for the castle, but for the casual observer, they think they are wonderful)

It comes down to your preference. Don't over think what you will take as far as equipment wise. Plan ahead what type of shots you want to get and plan accordingly. Except the fact that you are not going to get every shot you want. At times it simply will not not practical. Finally, know your own abilities and accept them. I'm sure if I took one of my good friends who is a semi-professional, he would get some better quality photos than me. Simply because he has been doing it a lot longer than myself.

Overall I would not change a thing. We had a great trip and I have some wonderful photo memories of my family to last forever.

I have posted a few examples for your reference.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom