What are your thoughts on the D23 Expo and combining with Disneyland?

prberk

Original Poster
I was supposed to visit a friend this week to watch him graduate from seminary, but I was not really able to make it -- but he and his wife said coming now would be busy and crazy anyway, that it would be better to come later in August instead. We would get to catch up more, and I would have more time (and money) to see things. They know that I am a Disney fan (as are they), and would want to see the 6oth anniversary stuff anyway, so it sounded like a plan.

I also realized that I might be able to time it to see the Expo also, or at least a day or two of it. I was never able to go to it before. So, I have started checking it out. I saw that they have some cool things to see this year, including a live orchestration of the Silly Symphonies and a large exhibit of DL 60th anniversary stuff that will only be on display at the Expo. It is interesting, and the hotel prices around the convention center and DL are good so far.

So, I am interested. But I would like to hear from anyone who (a) has been to a previous D23 Expo, and (b) maybe combined it with Disneyland.

I have been to DL before but not since DCA 2.0. And I will want to see the 60th stuff. I will take time there, no worries. Just mainly asking about the Expo, and how you might have enjoyed it.

I have only the free D23 membership, but would it be worth an upgrade at the Expo? Any reason to upgrade?

Has anyone seen a detailed schedule by day? Do you get that when you register, or does that come later? Right now the website discusses the highlights but it does not have one comprehensive schedule that i can find.

Is there anything unique at DL for the Expo attendees?

Anyway, just general questions. Would love to hear from you all before I make my decision.

My other option would be to come out to DL around August 31 or so. I would spend about 4 days either way, some with my friends and some time not. It would be just me, so I would be flexible.

So, what do you guys think about coming to DL in time for Expo?

dweezil78

I think the Expo is great and they've done a LOT to improve it over the years. The Fastpass-like reservation service for panels is incredible and allows you to actually see stuff without waiting hours and hours. And this year they are creating a new, significantly larger venue for the big sessions in lieu of the old arena space which will help out a lot too.

Would say you probably don't need to go for all 3 days unless there are things you absolutely CAN'T miss each day. Save some of that time for the parks :)

Also... the Gold Membership upgrade is totally worth it this year for the member gift (a recreation of the original Disneyland pitch portfolio) alone which is absolutely beautiful and will probably fetch a lot of $$$ one day.

https://d23.com/membership-gift-2015/

Californian Elitist

I wouldn't upgrade to the Gold Membership solely for the Expo. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I attended the first two Expos, but not the 2013 one. The first one was great, but the 2011 one was so crowded. I decided not to return. Who know, I may change my mind in the future, but for now, I'm staying away from the Expos. Since you haven't been to one, I would suggest you go and experience it for yourself. You may end up really enjoying yourself.

The schedule will come out later.

There's no special D23 offers or events at Disneyland.

I went to Disneyland both times I went to the Expo. Crowds were surprisingly manageable.

Figments Friend

I'm also planning on attending this years Expo, my first.
I have done a lot of research into it over the years, learning the ups and downs of attending.
I also have the 'free membership' and see no reason to upgrade for any reason despite the renewal gift being appealing to uber-fans of Disneyland.

My basic impression from my research is to go in expecting to wait a long time to see some of the more popular presentations, and to pretty much except the fact now that i will not get to see everything i might want to experience.
I have read a lot of reviews from other fans who have attended in the past and a lot of the disappointment comes from people automatically assuming they will get to see everything scheduled.
That is pretty much impossible from what i gather, and one has to really decide in advance what your top priorities are.
Know what you REALLY want to see and focus on those things, and anything else you are able to experience will be a bonus.

I'm going to Expo for one main reason...and to see a couple of the presentations.
Hope to meet some people , too.
Not interested in lining up for hours for merchandise and the like...it's all about WDI related aspects that have my interest.

dweezil78

Yeah -- if you've ever been to any other 'Con, you kind of know what to expect as far as panels go. But even Comic Con, which has been around for ever, hasn't been smart enough to use a panel reservation system like D23 as far as I know.

Here are my must-see's as I've been twice now:
  • The Disney Archives Exhibit -- Definitely put this at the top of your list. Practically a mini-museum within the convention. Each year is different and this year the focus is on Disneyland's 60th anniversary. They pull incredible things out of the archives for display here and it is well worth the wait no matter what it is. But I'd advise to get to the expo early and run here to beat the crowd if you're into this kind of thing.

• The Parks/Imagineering Pavilion on the expo floor -- They always put a TON of work into these complete with a park-like pre-show with a cool reveal of their floor space. Last year's was amazing with lots to see including the original models for EPCOT Center.

• The Collector's Marketplace -- I'm always meh on the official merch (aside from Mickey's of Glendale which has exclusive stuff from the Imagineering store), but the real gems can be found on the expo floor from all the outside vendors IMO. If you are an avid Ebay'er like me though mileage will vary as prices tend to be steeper at these things if know how to score good deals online. Still, some great finds for sure.

• The Panels -- The first year I went (2011) I waited THREE hours just to see Michael Giacchino speak. Two years later I was able to book 1 panel in the AM and PM each with ease and show up about 30 min before seating to ensure a good seat using the fastpass system. Make sure you use it!!!!

Gaston's gal

I have gone to the D23 Expo in 2011 and 2013. Yes, it is VERY crowded and yes, you do have to pick what is your priorities because you won't be able to do it all. In the shopping areas, they do have access to merchandise that is not yet available to the public. It is fun to go to the Animated presentation (on Friday) and Live Action presentation (on Saturday) to see clips of upcoming movies and shows as well as the characters who play them. (I saw the cast of the "Avengers" in 2011 and the cast of "Thor" and Angelina Jolie from "Malificient" in 2013). My daughter and I have loved the energy and excitement in the building from other Disney fans and we will be there again this year.
I don't know if it is available for members with Free membership, but I also can get a discount into the Disneyland parks if I buy my tickets through D23. (The link is attached to my email about the ticket purchases for the D23 Expo.) I haven't bought my tickets yet, but will soon.
We have also connected the Expo with our trip to Disneyland. We either add a few days at the front or at the end of our trip and go back and forth to the 2 parks.
Hope all of this info helps!

TP2000

I've been to all the D23 Expo's, but am not a D23 member. I just show up one afternoon during the Expo and buy a 1-Day ticket at the box office and wander in. I don't bother with the panel discussions or big presentations in the Arena. Last year I skipped the Archives exhibit when the line was posted at over an hour long.

But I do wander the exhibit hall floor and visit the big WDI Pavilion, and just look around. It takes me a couple hours to see all that stuff, then I drive home.

All the big news from the presentations and executive keynote speeches is available instantly via Twitter or message boards anyway. I just go to wander around and see the show.

prberk

Original Poster
  • The Panels -- The first year I went (2011) I waited THREE hours just to see Michael Giacchino speak. Two years later I was able to book 1 panel in the AM and PM each with ease and show up about 30 min before seating to ensure a good seat using the fastpass system. Make sure you use it!!!!

Hey, do you know if the fast-pass-like reservation system is only for gold members, or can an attendee use it?

I know that the website suggests that gold members get early admission or something like that. Do you know exactly what the advantage to gold membership is at the Expo?

dweezil78

Hey, do you know if the fast-pass-like reservation system is only for gold members, or can an attendee use it?

I know that the website suggests that gold members get early admission or something like that. Do you know exactly what the advantage to gold membership is at the Expo?

Any expo ticketholder could get them in 2013. Doubtful they'll change it this year!

216bruce

This will be my third Expo. It's a great event but the lines are incredibly long and it's virtually impossible, due to timing, to get to everything you want to get to. Highlights: Legends ceremony (depending on who gets inducted). The animation and live action film presentations are fantastic- exclusive previews, clips, stars and celebs. It's a long presentation but just well worth the time. The Parks and resorts show has been a letdown, but if this years show lets the Star Wars beast out, it could be very memorable. Displays, small hall presentations are all great but fill up quickly. Planning is paramount and you WILL make sacrifices on what you want to see.
It's pretty easy to go back and forth to DL as it's not much of a walk at all and we've spent the evenings there. Crowds have been pretty good at the parks.
Summary: It's the only place I've been to where you stand in a line to stand in another line.

dkp

I lurk on WDWMagic much more than I post, but I'm also attending D23 Expo. My interest tends to be the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts main hall presentation, panels, and Show Floors. I also like the Archives a great deal. I had a great deal of fun with the PlayTesting in the Parks pavilion in 2013, and hope they bring that back.

Also, I don't know if everyone has seen this, but D23 has added an overnight queuing policy for Hall D23 and the Show Floor, and a "StorePass" option for some shopping locations: https://d23.com/d23-expo/things-to-know/

Figments Friend

Also, I don't know if everyone has seen this, but D23 has added an overnight queuing policy for Hall D23 and the Show Floor, and a "StorePass" option for some shopping locations: https://d23.com/d23-expo/things-to-know/

Oh wow...they are allowing overnight camping inside the venue this year for folks wanting to line up early...
EEK.

Thank you for the heads up.
I might have missed the new additions.

I like to addition of the *StorePass* idea.
Should help curb some of the insane wait times i have read about in the past for browsing the various shops.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My son and I did three-day passes to the 2013 Expo and had a great time. We went down the Saturday prior and spent the week exploring the parks, did the Expo and then did another week in the parks. It was fantastic! I wasn't crazy about the queuing to get in with the fastpasses, basically lining up 45 minutes before in a different room to get a decent seat at the panels. I saw a few Sorcerer pass folks waltzing in at the last minute and was jealous... So this Expo we have Sorcerer passes!

We're both headed to WDW Saturday so I'll be getting my son a Premier pass to cover both coasts [I already have mine], so the park time at DL will be covered. We can ride and re-ride for hours and we enjoy just wandering the parks for days, so we won't get bored at DL.

Gaston's gal

I lurk on WDWMagic much more than I post, but I'm also attending D23 Expo. My interest tends to be the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts main hall presentation, panels, and Show Floors. I also like the Archives a great deal. I had a great deal of fun with the PlayTesting in the Parks pavilion in 2013, and hope they bring that back.

I DO NOT look forward to standing in line all night for the main hall presentations. I know I've heard of people waiting all night for Comic-Con and have been so happy that we haven't had to do that. I really need a good night's sleep. Not sure what I will do this year. I do like the idea of the "StorePass" though.

Figments Friend

Ditto.

The new introduction of the 'night before' sleepover queuing pretty much means it's pointless to get up early and line up in the morning as many have done in the past.

Well, i guess i know now not to bother with that...but then again, i might risk missing something i really want to see.
I am kind of glad i only have one real, major goal to focus on in some respects.
Looks like i will have to keep that in mind when deciding when to arrive and how long to stay.

prberk

Original Poster

Thanks for that info.

Figments Friend

So a question -

Are those of us who have the *free D23 memberships* qualify for the D23 Expo ticket discounts?
For some reason, i was under the impression after all my research that *free* members could buy tickets at the discounted Member rate.
Perhaps this was never the case, or has changed...?

I ask because i just tried buying my tickets and although i can log in, and it lists my name, it will not acknowledge my membership number or *membership* status which works for everything else on the D23 website.
It keeps offering me the full priced tickets instead of showing me Member rates.

Makes sense however that only *paying memberships* would reap the discounts offered, but i swear i read elsewhere (and in threads here) that *free memberships* also could get the discounted Expo tickets.

EDIT - Issue resolved...see my next post below.

Last edited:

Gaston's gal

So a question -

Are those of us who have the *free D23 memberships* qualify for the D23 Expo ticket discounts?
For some reason, i was under the impression after all my research that *free* members could buy tickets at the discounted Member rate.
Perhaps this was never the case, or has changed...?

I ask because i just tried buying my tickets and although i can log in, and it lists my name, it will not acknowledge my membership number or *membership* status which works for everything else on the D23 website.
It keeps offering me the full priced tickets instead of showing me Member rates.

Makes sense however that only *paying memberships* would reap the discounts offered, but i swear i read elsewhere (and in threads here) that *free memberships* also could get the discounted Expo tickets.
I thought you would be able to get the D23 Expo ticket discount too. I would suggest calling on Monday morning to investigate. Good luck!

Figments Friend

-

A update -

Yes, 'free Members' of D23 can indeed get the discounted Expo ticket rate.
Turns out when i was trying yesterday i made the mistake of filling in the ticket page 'log in' box with my full name instead of the required last name only.
Du'oh...! ( slaps head ).
So yeah...no wonder i was not able to 'log in' on that page and purchase Member rated tickets!

That issue has now been resolved.....yay...but now there is another.

During the process to check out, you have to answer random questions about what you are most interested is seeing at the Expo, and how you found out about it.
I answered them all, but cannot move forward in the check out process as it keeps telling me i need to check 'Other' in the 'how did you find out about the Expo' question or un-check it. Doing either yields no results...and i am stuck going around in circles...not able to finalize my purchase and buy my Member ticket.

What the .....?????
Rather annoyed at the moment.

Any suggestions..?

Heads up for those wanting to save a few bucks -
The Expo tickets go up in price after June 30th.

Last edited:

Gaston's gal

Ugh! How frustrating. If you never resolved the issue last night, it might be best to make a call today. Either they can do it for you online or talk you through it as you type it all in. Keep me posted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom