What are Uni's Plans for Marvel?

danpam1024

Original Poster
So I know they still have rights to Marvel for the time being, but as progressive as Universal Creative is (ahem compared to the competition :rolleyes:) are there already plans in the works for a complete overhaul of Marvel Superhero Island?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
So I know they still have rights to Marvel for the time being, but as progressive as Universal Creative is (ahem compared to the competition :rolleyes:) are there already plans in the works for a complete overhaul of Marvel Superhero Island?
My assumption is this:
Creative has a solid idea for the area for when the time comes. I believe that the contract never expires, but Disney will eventually want it, and Uni can set whatever price they feel like. You can bet your buns that the price will be very sweet, AND that Disney will be footing the bill for the entire, high-budget redo of the area, as well as any IPs Uni has to acquire to make it happen.
This all, of course, is contingent upon my understanding of the contract being accurate.

lazyboy97o

There is no "time being." Universal holds the rights in perpetuity and have an excellent deal. There are no renegotiations and the licensing fee increases only with inflation. The success of the films has only made the property even more valuable. Since the Disney acquisition Universal has updated the character costumes and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

danpam1024

Original Poster
There is no "time being." Universal holds the rights in perpetuity and have an excellent deal. There are no renegotiations and the licensing fee increases only with inflation. The success of the films has only made the property even more valuable. Since the Disney acquisition Universal has updated the character costumes and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm
thanks- what an interesting contract.

DaveN1996

I think they should re-theme it to DC Island. A lot of directions you could take it from that point. I can only speak for the Six Flags parks in Texas, but they really do lack outside of a few rides named off of Batman/Superman

lazyboy97o

I think they should re-theme it to DC Island. A lot of directions you could take it from that point. I can only speak for the Six Flags parks in Texas, but they really do lack outside of a few rides named off of Batman/Superman
Batman island was the original plan and why would they make such a move now? Marvel is definitely more popular than DC at the moment.

JT3000

There's really nowhere to expand the island anyway, unless they finally do away with the abandoned theater in TL.

Six Flags' use of DC is precisely why Universal wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

BigTxEars

I think DC has a richer list of characters than Marvel but Marvel movies are just much better IMO. If DC could make decent movies things might swing their way some. But I don't see that happening.

lazyboy97o

I think DC has a richer list of characters than Marvel but Marvel movies are just much better IMO. If DC could make decent movies things might swing their way some. But I don't see that happening.
Let's say DC is reinvigorated, that means Warner Bros. Would not be desperate like Marvel was when the deal was made, meaning they would likely want more money than Marvel gets.

BigTxEars

Let's say DC is reinvigorated, that means Warner Bros. Would not be desperate like Marvel was when the deal was made, meaning they would likely want more money than Marvel gets.

I just want decent Batman movie, the character is just so ripe for great movies and no one can get it done it seems! And a well done Wonder Woman movie would be great too :)

JT3000

I just want decent Batman movie, the character is just so ripe for great movies and no one can get it done it seems! And a well done Wonder Woman movie would be great too :)

notsureifserious_zpsa0627d31.jpg

BigTxEars

Oh I am. I started my fandom of Batman back in 1988 with the comics, and have yet to see a film version that did the character justice IMO. Some of the have just been...bad..

I want a bad*** Batman who is confident, kicking booty on street level thugs and scarring the crap out of criminals :) How did Keaton get the gig? He a good actor but Batman he is not, same with Kilmer. And Clooney....WTH was that mess????? LOL come on....I don't know who should play him per say but they have not found him yet IMO.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Oh I am. I started my fandom of Batman back in 1988 with the comics, and have yet to see a film version that did the character justice IMO. Some of the have just been...bad..

I want a bad*** Batman who is confident, kicking booty on street level thugs and scarring the crap out of criminals :) How did Keaton get the gig? He a good actor but Batman he is not, same with Kilmer. And Clooney....WTH was that mess????? LOL come on....I don't know who should play him per say but they have not found him yet IMO.
What did you dislike about the Nolan films? Would you rather see more of a Frank Miller Batman?

cheezbat

While I'd love Universals take on a DC Island, why would Uni change Marvel? They have a great thing going right now, and a fantastic deal on the land. If things soured or Disney was willing to pony up the wads of cash needed, then MAYBE DC would be the way to go. (I'd be all for it!)

Skunk

What did you dislike about the Nolan films? Would you rather see more of a Frank Miller Batman?

Dunno about him, but speaking for myself: Taken as their own world, separate from the comics, they are incredible films (TDK in particular, of course). As an adaptation of the Batman comics/lore to a real Batman fan, they are pretty horrendous. They obviously go for a more gritty and realistic take on the character/world, but even overlooking that, the characterization of many characters is completely wrong; especially Bruce. In the Nolan films, Bruce trains for 8 years to become Batman, between BB/TDK he is actually around for maybe six months before deciding he wants to stop being Batman so he can be with the love interest, pins that hope on Dent, and when Dent and said love interest die, he indeed quits being Batman and becomes a hermit for 8 years, comes back to save the day in TDKR and retires to Italy. That is so against Bruce's character in the comics, it's laughable.

There's a bunch of other smaller les, like him killing people (Dent, Ra's decoy and ninjas) or letting them die (Ra's himself), doing virtually no detective work at all when he's supposed to be the world greatest detective, etc. Also, my favorite: Remember in TDK when the Joker dropped Rachel out of the building and Batman jumped down and saved her? Do you remember the part right after that, when he went back into the building to stop the Joker? Oh, you don't? That's because he totally didn't go back into the building, he just left the Joker alone in a room full of people. At least he got the girl though. Pfft.

Again, fantastic films on their own merits... just not very good Batman films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom