What are some "insider tips" about DCL?

durangojim

Original Poster
For instance, I recently found out that you could:
Order for kids off the adult menu in the dining room and ask for extras of just about anything if you would like.
Have Mickey Premium bars delivered by room service (I think everyone knows this though:))
Order an appetizer portion of a main entree at Palo.

What are some other things we could all share with each other?

ChuckElias

Just a couple things about dinners, since you mentioned the dining rooms.

1) Order as many entrees (or desserts, or appetizers, etc.) as you want. I'm notorious within my family for asking for 2 (or more entrees) just because I want to try them. Sometimes your server will just bring you a small portion of the thing you want to taste, but sometimes they'll just bring you the full entree plate.

2) Get the kids' food early during the second seating so that they can then go with the Oceaneer's Club councilors.

DisneyJoe

If your servers seem to be taking their time, taking too long for you, (this can happen especially during second seating), and you want them to bring things a little faster, speak up and ask.

stillgoofy

If you want to book another cruise while onboard, hit the booking desk early in the cruise.

Also, if you want hand-scooped ice cream during the lunch hour you can get it in Cabanas even if you're not eating lunch in there (ice-cream snob here, I prefer the hand scooped vs the soft serve machines).

durangojim

Original Poster
As per @polymissy 's stroke of sheer genius, go get 2 cookies (or order them from room service) then go build your ice cream cookie sandwich at the ice cream machine!

You used to could order Mickey rice crispy treats from room service but I think they stopped. Its prob'ly my family's fault. Sorry. :( You can, however, call room service and ask what the cake of the day is. It changes & it's not on-menu if memory serves. We've ordered room service pig out fodder for on-demand movies in bed. Cookies, cake, Mickeys Premiums, etc. So yummy!
Yeah, I tried to do this on our January cruise on the Magic after I read about it in one of your posts. I was laughed at and ridiculed by CMs for asking such a foolish question. They said you used to be able to order them but then someone posted about it on the internet and ruined it for everyone. I blame you:mad:

Cesar R M

If your family is hogging the shower or if you just want a bigger shower in peace go up to the locker room showers near the spa/gym. I believe soap, shampoo, etc. is provided as well as your linens. Run by to confirm me on that but I think that's the deal. With teenagers there's never enough bathroom space!
how much do they charge to use the SPA/Gym services? all included?

Bolna

My most important tip is that there is a food case in the Cove Cafe that has treats that change during the day: breakfast pastries in the morning, cakes in the afternoon and cheese and olives (and I think maybe sliced salami) in the late afternoon/evening. Those are free for you to help yourself from, whether you are getting a drink there or not.

durangojim

Original Poster
Seriously?? The CMs gave you crap? I'd be all over that fact alone like white on rice. I heard it had discontinued. I do think I read that you can still get them at the gold/platinum Castaway Club reception. I would imagine they'll continue to be offered in the concierge lounges on the newer ships & during concierge receptions on the classics. Mickey crispy treats are worth the price to sail concierge to me. Geez, if they sold them at the snack stand by the theater(s) I'd buy 'em out. LOL!
I don't really blame you, but the CM did make me feel foolish, especially after I mentioned that a friend had been able to get them on a previous cruise and they insisted that I must have been confused that it was the premium bars that were available. I knew I was right, but there was no convincing the CM.

ChuckElias

My most important tip is that there is a food case in the Cove Cafe that has treats that change during the day: breakfast pastries in the morning, cakes in the afternoon and cheese and olives (and I think maybe sliced salami) in the late afternoon/evening. Those are free for you to help yourself from, whether you are getting a drink there or not.
You can help yourself, but make darn sure that you use the tongs provided to pick up your food, even if there's not another morsel within 18" of it! I was sternly reprimanded for using my fingers to grab a snack, even though I didn't even come CLOSE to touching anything else.

I was vaguely considering going back each morning to take a snack with my fingers, but that was my bronchitis cruise and I just didn't feel good enough to torture the CM.

ChuckElias

how much do they charge to use the SPA/Gym services? all included?
Pretty sure it's included. I've never paid extra for the gym or to use the restroom located in the locker room there. On our first ever cruise I had a few spa services that I paid for but not since.
There's no charge to use the exercise equipment (unless you're taking a "class"). I've done this a few times. I was also told by a CM that there's no charge to use the locker room showers, although I've never availed myself of the opportunity. (There are showers that are part of the spa that you have to pay for, I'm pretty sure. They're scented or something; and, on the Fantasy, they're next to the sauna and -- I think -- the heated tile chairs.)

Bolna

You can help yourself, but make darn sure that you use the tongs provided to pick up your food, even if there's not another morsel within 18" of it! I was sternly reprimanded for using my fingers to grab a snack, even though I didn't even come CLOSE to touching anything else.

I was vaguely considering going back each morning to take a snack with my fingers, but that was my bronchitis cruise and I just didn't feel good enough to torture the CM.

:joyfull:

But really, I do appreciate that they take food safety so serious on the ships - even if it seems a bit excessive at times!

ChuckElias

Don't lose hope if you can't get that Palo reservation while doing your on-line check-in -- especially if you're a Platinum Castaway Club member.

I don't know how "insider" this is, but they definitely hold back reservation times for people who were unable to get a reservation before boarding. Just go to Palo at 1 p.m. of embarkation day, and they will likely be able to find a time for you.

And since Platinum Castaway Club members get a free Palo meal (either brunch or dinner) for their sailing party, they expect Platinum members to take advantage of it. So when I got on-board in January and went to the Palo desk, the hostess asked for my stateroom number and said, "Oh yes, Mr. Elias, we've been expecting you." So I think she had a list of Platinum members in front of her.

In any case, you can often get a Palo/Remy reservation on embarkation day.

Phonedave

As per @polymissy 's stroke of sheer genius, go get 2 cookies (or order them from room service) then go build your ice cream cookie sandwich at the ice cream machine!

You used to could order Mickey rice crispy treats from room service but I think they stopped. Its prob'ly my family's fault. Sorry. :( You can, however, call room service and ask what the cake of the day is. It changes & it's not on-menu if memory serves. We've ordered room service pig out fodder for on-demand movies in bed. Cookies, cake, Mickeys Premiums, etc. So yummy!

Granted, I haven't cruised in 2 years now, but as of then "Cake at Sea" was a room service menu item (but it does change day to day)

-dave

Disneyfalcon

What secret deck? We sail on the Wonder on April 23.

It's aft on deck 7. It looks like a private deck, but it's open (unless they have a private event happening) and it's usually pretty empty. It is gone on the Magic, but still on the Wonder! Just go all the way aft on deck 7.

rob0519

It's aft on deck 7. It looks like a private deck, but it's open (unless they have a private event happening) and it's usually pretty empty. It is gone on the Magic, but still on the Wonder! Just go all the way aft on deck 7.

Thanks. I just pulled up the deck plans and it looks pretty big. We're on Deck 8, so that won't be a long walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom