What age?

LilWalt

Original Poster
At what age did you let your child ride RnR? My son is 8 and is big for his age. My wife is kind of freaked out about it with him sitting by himself and going upside down. He doesn't really want to ride it but if on our next trip he would want to, what do you think?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
At what age did you let your child ride RnR? My son is 8 and is big for his age. My wife is kind of freaked out about it with him sitting by himself and going upside down. He doesn't really want to ride it but if on our next trip he would want to, what do you think?
My kid was tall enough at 9 and rode then. If he's tall enough, there's no real risk of injury. Beyond that, it's just evaluating his "fear" level. Does he already ride ToT? Mission Space? Everest? And is he OK with the dark? If he can handle that stuff, I'd say RnRC is no big deal.

Why would he be sitting alone, though? Surely mom or dad will ride with him, yes? And if not, somebody will need to wait in line with him and then use the chicken exit. Of course, you'd wait in the single rider line, which means 1) shorter line -- yay!, and 2) he probably wouldn't wind up sitting alone, but with a rider from another party.

DisneyFans4Life

I say go on YouTube and have him watch some videos of the ride to see if it's something he'd like. If you've ridden it yourself, explain how the ride works, how fast it goes, how many loops, etc. If he's tall enough to ride it, then he will be fine from a safety aspect.

LilWalt

Original Poster
When I say by himself, I mean on some of the other rides (Everest, ToT, BTM) he can hold on to us. He does great on SM and other rides.

SAV

My son is a little daredevil and will go on any ride as long as he can make the height restriction and he's alive and well. He's 10 and has been going on coasters for years now...upside down and everything. He first went on RnRC at 7 or 8 and loved it.

Let him try it if he wants to and decide for himself.

My wife was similar and worried that her "baby boy" was going on a big roller coaster, but now she just says her standard "Be Careful" warning knowing we're going to go on whatever ride it is. Then we go on our way to the fun.

Weather_Lady

My son (also tall for his age) was 6 the first time he went on RnR -- although he was not by himself, and I don't think he'd have wanted to do it if I hadn't been right there next to him. He liked it, although the loud soundtrack threw him a bit (I'd educated him about the upside-down parts, the fact that it would be dark, etc., but apparently forgot to mention the blaring music), and he commented later that, "those Smith guys' music is awful!". Still, he much preferred it to Expedition Everest (he didn't like the backward portion) or Space Mountain (very rough) -- RnR was the only one of the three coasters that he wanted to do again when we made our next WDW visit a couple of years later.

Disney.Mike

My oldest daughter rode it at 5 1/2. She's very tall for her age but she loved it then and its still her favorite ride. I think kids get most freaked out about heights so just explain that it doesnt go high and there are no real drops in it.....

However, she is scared of Everest because of the open air climb

Incomudro

My oldest daughter rode it at 5 1/2. She's very tall for her age but she loved it then and its still her favorite ride. I think kids get most freaked out about heights so just explain that it doesnt go high and there are no real drops in it.....

However, she is scared of Everest because of the open air climb

Yeah, that climb is very intimidating.
I just love the theming on Everest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom