The misunderstanding of the Theme Park...

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
The technology involved, the storyline, the theming and scale, and finally the execution ties everything together in what can make an iconic attraction like The Haunted Mansion.

Immersion is an art that is fired on all four cylinders in the best theme parks. Theme Parks tie-in the best of what we can detect, the 5 different senses. They allow music, visions, taste, scent, and even touch to dominate over us and truly transport us to another world. From Cars Land to Africa, Diagon Alley to New Orleans Square, you can see the beauty of the world in a place like no other.

Now, the topic of THRILL and how that affects how good a ride is has been bugging me for a long time now. A disclaimer I feel like I must disclose: I freakin' love coasters.

I will be the last person that says there is no place for them at theme parks, as there clearly is a demand for them. Now, at the same time, the line of sacrificing immersion for thrill is what many people would be fine with. And I say MANY. Go on any Youtube comment section, and you'll clearly see why. From people blasting Expedition Everest for being a waste of money, or that Test Track is 100 times better than Radiator Springs Racers simply because it goes faster, the list goes on and on. I understand that people like to be blown away by this sort of 6th sense feeling coasters give people, but why shed 2 or 3 grand on a Disney vacation when what these people describe can be found for far less money at a local Six Flags?

Thrill can add to a ride experience, in the sense of racing through Ornament Valley (which is the second largest artificial mountain range in the world mind you) for a big race in the world of Cars! Thrill can also be the experience: gliding through space with sharp turns and unexpected drops launch Space Mountain to one of the best rides ever built.
Indiana Jones Adventure uses thrill and technology to immerse you in the moment (vehicle tilts up, and feels as if is almost going down stairs at one point, or frantically moves side to side to avoid darts), and it creates a sort of high stakes narrative combined with the story.
Splash Mountain uses the drops to give the ride solid pacing, but most importantly it is in the story.
Even simulators follow this same philosophy: Flight of Passage, by not being stationary, is able to evoke an unprecedented realism to a screen based ride. The thrilling visuals, combined with a 4 sensory experience that allows you on top of a Banshee to see it soar, hear the score, feel it breathe and smell the colors of the wind. And the thrill kicks in to branch out immersion further by making the impossible what you are experiencing. That is what a theme park is about, and that is why I love that ride so much, and I hope that everyone can enjoy theme parks for their environment, and not just when their stomach alone is no longer connected. Your disbelief is also lossed along the way.

All rides, including It's a Small World have some form of thrill level... it could be .01%, but it is still very present. But the fundamental things the rides do with it, that add to the experience, can propel the attraction further. But it cannot stand on its own, and when it does, that's the SeaWorld result, or the Six Flags formula. It's not instinctively bad -- it works very well, but it's in no way like Disney or Universal. They can be enjoyed equally as much, but as an attraction, they have inferior quality. In a way, it's like pepper. You can sprinkle as much you like, but originally, it was used as a way to mask the taste of old fish thousands of years ago. Thrill can be used to mask what we see and feel when on an attraction, and that's a good thing; because if it weren't for thrill on many attractions, there would be no purpose. It's a different fulfillment since a bare coaster attempts to bring adrenaline rushes only, but when a 360 sensory experience meshes with what is already a wonderful concept, something magical happens. That combination mark that people miss somewhat disappoints me knowing the painstaking time and craftsmanship put into Disney's and Universal's attractions.

Remember also that 99% of the people I am describing are not diehard fans like we are. While there are varying degrees on this website, I'm pretty certain most of you reading this are here because you enjoy what the parks today, or at one time stood for. That it is a place for families, where they can be transported to another place. Clearly, Walt Disney thought coasters were a good idea with the Matterhorn, but he also saw it fit to make a point to put top notch theming into effect. The fact that it is now possible to encounter an abominable snowman as you toboggan down the Matterhorn, can waive your disbelief and cause a little magic to happen. It makes you a kid again. And that is why I justify spending a fortune on a Disney vacation, and if Walt was still alive and Disneyland was made by someone else, I would like to believe he would think the same. Quality is something he wanted to bring to the amusement park industry, and by doing that, he created something fresh, that was in another league titled theme parks. And for the fun, experiencing it with the family is something so grand it cannot be described.

This 'essay' I made was trying to justify the cost increase from an amusement park, not only what makes us want to go. Everything from the history to the memories, and the short distance from us factor in. I also love that Disney parks combine theme and thrill and the next 1/2 an hour you can spend watching a show about the Lion King.

What makes you decide to shed thousands more than amusement parks on a Disney or Universal vacation?:) I would love to hear!

Last edited:

John park hopper

I grew up on the original Mickey Mouse Club and the the Wonderfull World of Disney which began in 61 7:30- 8:30 on Sunday nights. My first visit to WDW was in May 72 fresh out of the service and I have been hooked ever since. The bottom line it makes me feel like a kid again, a total escape from my adult reality. I listen to no news, no internet, no cell phone (sad to say many in the parks can't put down). I've watched my kids in the parks with their total amazed child reactions. It's hard to put a finger on-- memories of my kids first visit, the thrill of the rides, the visual experiance of the parks. It's like eating ice cream it just taste good and makes you feel great That's what Disney does to me

Last edited:

belledream

To me, Disney World is a bubble of indestructible happiness where I can relive and create some of my best memories. I love thrill rides too, and Space Mountain and Everest are definitely not the most intense rollercoasters I've been on, but I will always crave them because of what you said. It's the themeing, attention to detail, the ability to believe in a little storytelling and magic. That's what I've always expected from Disney and I always get it, without fail.

I grew up in the 90's eating up classic Disney movies like Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. So much so that I don't think I watched regular TV as much as other kids. (My husband literally says I missed out on the quintessential 90's kid's life because I spent all my childhood doing Disney.) Even as a kid, the details in these movies, from the outfits to the setting to the music, really transported me to another world. Step foot in a Disney park and all of that immediately comes to life, not just in the form of rides, but in the colorful flags that wave in the wind, the jewels that glow in the walls of a queue, the sparkling lights that dance in the trees at night...all of it creates such a wondrous environment that could never be recreated anywhere else. That's why I go.

matt9112

My wife....

I JUST LAUGHED.

for me it has been a childhood thing. when i was nine i was given the "option" to get the BIG Lego set of the day or go to Disney world. I picked the Lego set but obviously plans had already been made and my grandmother had saved for years since i was born to take the family. since this first visit i have been a disney parks fan. i didn't have any tangible affection for mickey ect before this but ever since i have enjoyed it going to Disney world more often than not. now i have a son and through the fortunes of hard work he got to go on vacation twice before he was five. so its a tradition someday he will take his children and so on and so fourth.

JIMINYCR

It gives me the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy myself in a multitude of ways. Every day is different and each park gives me some measure of thrill, relaxation, enjoyment, and release of tension from the job Ive left behind. Every one of those days Im spending at Disney is priceless to me. I work extremely hard to save and sacrifice to give myself and my family the best time I can afford. Ive vacationed at other places but there has never been a place that comes close to all that WDW brings us as a family. I never leave thinking Ive done it all or I'm ready to leave. Cant say that about other vacation destinations.

parkhopper1213

The technology involved, the storyline, the theming and scale, and finally the execution ties everything together in what can make an iconic attraction like The Haunted Mansion.

Immersion is an art that is fired on all four cylinders in the best theme parks. Theme Parks tie-in the best of what we can detect, the 5 different senses. They allow music, visions, taste, scent, and even touch to dominate over us and truly transport us to another world. From Cars Land to Africa, Diagon Alley to New Orleans Square, you can see the beauty of the world in a place like no other.

Now, the topic of THRILL and how that affects how good a ride is has been bugging me for a long time now. A disclaimer I feel like I must disclose: I freakin' love coasters.

I will be the last person that says there is no place for them at theme parks, as there clearly is a demand for them. Now, at the same time, the line of sacrificing immersion for thrill is what many people would be fine with. And I say MANY. Go on any Youtube comment section, and you'll clearly see why. From people blasting Expedition Everest for being a waste of money, or that Test Track is 100 times better than Radiator Springs Racers simply because it goes faster, the list goes on and on. I understand that people like to be blown away by this sort of 6th sense feeling coasters give people, but why shed 2 or 3 grand on a Disney vacation when what these people describe can be found for far less money at a local Six Flags?

Thrill can add to a ride experience, in the sense of racing through Ornament Valley (which is the second largest artificial mountain range in the world mind you) for a big race in the world of Cars! Thrill can also be the experience: gliding through space with sharp turns and unexpected drops launch Space Mountain to one of the best rides ever built.
Indiana Jones Adventure uses thrill and technology to immerse you in the moment (vehicle tilts up, and feels as if is almost going down stairs at one point, or frantically moves side to side to avoid darts), and it creates a sort of high stakes narrative combined with the story.
Splash Mountain uses the drops to give the ride solid pacing, but most importantly it is in the story.
Even simulators follow this same philosophy: Flight of Passage, by not being stationary, is able to evoke an unprecedented realism to a screen based ride. The thrilling visuals, combined with a 4 sensory experience that allows you on top of a Banshee to see it soar, hear the score, feel it breathe and smell the colors of the wind. And the thrill kicks in to branch out immersion further by making the impossible what you are experiencing. That is what a theme park is about, and that is why I love that ride so much, and I hope that everyone can enjoy theme parks for their environment, and not just when their stomach alone is no longer connected. Your disbelief is also lossed along the way.

All rides, including It's a Small World have some form of thrill level... it could be .01%, but it is still very present. But the fundamental things the rides do with it, that add to the experience, can propel the attraction further. But it cannot stand on its own, and when it does, that's the SeaWorld result, or the Six Flags formula. It's not instinctively bad -- it works very well, but it's in no way like Disney or Universal. They can be enjoyed equally as much, but as an attraction, they have inferior quality. In a way, it's like pepper. You can sprinkle as much you like, but originally, it was used as a way to mask the taste of old fish thousands of years ago. Thrill can be used to mask what we see and feel when on an attraction, and that's a good thing; because if it weren't for thrill on many attractions, there would be no purpose. It's a different fulfillment since a bare coaster attempts to bring adrenaline rushes only, but when a 360 sensory experience meshes with what is already a wonderful concept, something magical happens. That combination mark that people miss somewhat disappoints me knowing the painstaking time and craftsmanship put into Disney's and Universal's attractions.

Remember also that 99% of the people I am describing are not diehard fans like we are. While there are varying degrees on this website, I'm pretty certain most of you reading this are here because you enjoy what the parks today, or at one time stood for. That it is a place for families, where they can be transported to another place. Clearly, Walt Disney thought coasters were a good idea with the Matterhorn, but he also saw it fit to make a point to put top notch theming into effect. The fact that it is now possible to encounter an abominable snowman as you toboggan down the Matterhorn, can waive your disbelief and cause a little magic to happen. It makes you a kid again. And that is why I justify spending a fortune on a Disney vacation, and if Walt was still alive and Disneyland was made by someone else, I would like to believe he would think the same. Quality is something he wanted to bring to the amusement park industry, and by doing that, he created something fresh, that was in another league titled theme parks. And for the fun, experiencing it with the family is something so grand it cannot be described.

This 'essay' I made was trying to justify the cost increase from an amusement park, not only what makes us want to go. Everything from the history to the memories, and the short distance from us factor in. I also love that Disney parks combine theme and thrill and the next 1/2 an hour you can spend watching a show about the Lion King.

What makes you decide to shed thousands more than amusement parks on a Disney or Universal vacation?:) I would love to hear!
When my child was very young we used to go to Six Flags over Texas because it was close to home. I noticed that the park was not well maintained (paint chipping on rides, torn seats, etc) and that there were kiddie rides and very grown up rides. I paid admission to take him there only to spend the day watching him go on the kiddie rides. When we started going to WDW we were able to do so many more things together. We are leaving this Wednesday for our 23rd trip. Its our goodbye tour before he goes off to college. We started this journey when he was in kindergarten. Feel very fortunate for all of our experiences at WDW.

UpAllNight

Escapism for me.

Some get it through TV series (I don't watch a lot of them)...but I like to shut off from the real world in any theme park. Not taking your phone helps a lot. I'd definitely recommend it if you're someone who's never normally off it like myself.

Minnesota disney fan

Definitely nostalgia. Remembering previous trips with the kids when they were little and then the grandkids. Now it is my husband and I and we still love Disney, for the new things and for the memories. We also like the "bubble effect". We stay onsite for it. My husband does not like to drive in Florida, and I don't like to cook while on vacation, so we are both happy with ME and meals in the parks. It's a time to forget all the nonsense in the world and just to focus on each other and having fun. Age doesn't matter because it's all still Magic to us:)

DisAl

The main reason used to be because my wife and I loved it. Then it was because our children loved it.
Now the main reason is to see my grandchildren experience (5 and 1 1/2 last trip) the magic. The looks on their faces the first time they saw Mickey and Minnie were absolutely priceless. We wondered if the 1 1/2 year old grandson would have a good time, but he had a ball! When they are at our house the first thing he wants to do is watch a Disney parade on YouTube.
They will encounter the real world soon enough....

Susan Savia

We go because we love it. Went for the first time in 1984 and have been nearly every year since. Going back in February 2018 and looking forward to the grandchildren's first visit January 2019.

DisneyPrincess5

For me the reasons why I go are immersion, escapism, nostalgia, familiarity, and just pure fun.

I love that we can go on a vacation where we are completely immersed in the theming and wonder that is Disney. It allows me to escape "reality" and be youthful. It allows me to reconnect to my childhood in really beautiful ways and makes me remember the great times my family and I had going as a child.
I love how we can go on a vacation where every aspect of it is familiar and stress free from the planning process to the plane ride to the hotel to the parks-we've got it down and there's no mystery. I know how to do a Disney vacation the way we want to do it, easily and no stress.
I also love that almost every trip, there's something new and different to experience.
It's just so fun above all else. From the rides to the shows, to the resort experiences to the dining-just pure fun and joy. There's always something to do right at our finger tips. We're not "drink and sit at the water and read" vacationers so Disney fits us well. Lots of adventure.

KBLovedDisney

Escape from the evil of this world that which we call...reality! That and it just feels awesome to be a kid again with no worries whatsoever.

Rumrunner

Disney is a special place and we took all of kids beginning in mid seventies to the mid eighties. Now we have taken our kids and our six grand kids. The memories are part of our family tradition and expect when I am gone my kids and grand kids will continue to go for generations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom