What about Big Hero Six?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
He's 100% correct. Google, Bing, Yahoo all suggest certain searches based on your online history and cookies installed on your computer.

ix0Tk7faDwqQE.gif

Siren

Original Poster
Not "as yet." I won't be seeing it. No interest in it at all. Zero

Robotics and Health and Wellness are (and have been) indeed perfect fits for Future World.
Both have had a major presence there in the past.

My issue is that the themes are strong enough to not require a cartoon tie-in to be worthy of inclusion. No need to dumb it down by adding characters that just may happen to have some degree of connection.
I just don't understand why you refuse to see 'BH6'. Wow, I thought you were somewhat of a patriarchal figure on this forum and also a "Disney" guy. Again, the only reason you hold this opinion is because you have not seen the film, otherwise you would agree with us. If you see BH6, your opinion would change.

Innoventions has the 'Habit Heroes' exhibit -- so I don't find 'toons' to be that great of a departure for Disney to incorporate elements of Big Hero 6 into an amazing exhibit and attraction at Epcot.

4lncy8.jpg
96jgwo.jpg

Remember how the first Habit Heroes was a disaster and the entire project had to be scrapped and redone? How were these awful characters better than Baymax? They were literally the butt of all jokes. Baymax is so sweet & huggable -- the sidekicks are awesome too.
2yknup1.jpg

And, my personal favorite -- Duchess of Doom. Disney should have at least kept her. Everyone needs to learn how to identity and fight against this type of mood, lol.

30dexyq.jpg

Duchess of Doom
  • Category: Mood
  • Bad Habit: Too much negativity
  • Best Way To Defeat This Bad Habit: The Duchess hates humor. If you can get her laughing, she won’t be able to stop.
  • Bio: No matter what happens, this negative thinker looks on the stormy side of life. She even started a band called The Gravediggers that never plays anything but downer songs with titles like: “Waste of Time,” “Bad Things: Good People,” and “Downer’s Delight.”
  • Powers: When she strums a minor chord on her electric guitar, she can make you feel so down you just want to crumple up like a used napkin.
  • Her Master Plan: She wants to bring everyone “down” to her level—below sea level, that is.
  • Habit Hero Special Dispatch: Constant negative thinking creates physical stress, ruins relationships and just makes everybody batty!
Now that I think about it, that may actually be a fair and more apt description of Mulan than 'Chinese'.

The Disney Mulan is a distinctly American character. The way Frozen is a distinctly American film, about American culture, with American characters, set in a visually Norwegian but culturally American landscape.

In the Disney movie, Mulan in the end gets her lover, and she lives happily ever after. In the recent Chinese Mulan movie, the heroine in the end choses duty and fatherland over her love interest, sacrificing her individual self-expression. The latter is a Chinese character, set in a Chinese cultural environment. The former is an American character with American aspirations, but with Chinese looks and background - for which Asian-American is maybe not all that misplaced a term.
Awww.... this post is so eloquent, graceful and beautifully written -- to the point where I am *almost* left speechless. I could not have stated this any better, so you totally deserve something pink & sparkly for such an amazing post!

118hifl.gif

You totally deserve some cupcakes too. But, unfortunately Thanksgiving cupcakes are so ugly, to me. They're all brown & orange with these huge fondant turkeys, ugh.... and I'm not feeling the Christmas cupcakes either -- so you'll have to wait until Spring for super cute cupcakes, just remind me. LOL.

SirLink

I just don't understand why you refuse to see 'BH6'. Wow, I thought you were somewhat of a patriarchal figure on this forum and also a "Disney" guy. Again, the only reason you hold this opinion is because you have not seen the film, otherwise you would agree with us. If you see BH6, your opinion would change.

Innoventions has the 'Habit Heroes' exhibit -- so I don't find 'toons' to be that great of a departure for Disney to incorporate elements of Big Hero 6 into an amazing exhibit and attraction at Epcot.

4lncy8.jpg
96jgwo.jpg

Remember how the first Habit Heroes was a disaster and the entire project had to be scrapped and redone? How were these awful characters better than Baymax? They were literally the butt of all jokes. Baymax is so sweet & huggable -- the sidekicks are awesome too.
2yknup1.jpg

They aren't Toons, they were created for this exhibit first. Toons would be Nemo, Princesses, Aladdin, etc.

N.B. They hit too close to the bone for WDW current clientele... ?

SirLink

Toons created for the exhibit. And people have accused ME of splitting hairs.

They are characters that the sponsor wanted inserting into said exhibit they sponsored. Nothing more or nothing less. If MS wanted to take over the sponsorship of Mission Space and mid flight to reboot the systems Clippy appeared I wouldn't have a problem with that...

Siren

Original Poster
Let's make a few things very clear, because the OP's original post contains a strong amount of misinformation, namely the idea that Big Hero 6 is annihilating Interstellar. I'll go point-by-point instead of writing a novel.

• Interstellar is a 3 hour PG-13 film that has absolutely no appeal to anyone under 13, while Big Hero 6 a family-oriented film coming in at less that 2 hours.
  • Interstellar's only branding and franchise appeal is the director, Christopher Nolan. Big Hero 6 comes from a mostly unknown Marvel comic, but it's general branding and franchise appeal stems from Walt Disney Pictures
Here's where some of my observations veer into subjectivity, but I think they're valid given the current finances:
  • Big Hero 6 is a mostly safe, predictable family film that aims to appeal to a mass audience. It's entertaining, but its ambitions are not worthy of special note.
  • Interstellar is a generally unpredictable, very ambitious film that doesn't pander to pre-teens and the lowest common denominator. This is actually one of the things I most respect about Christopher Nolan - he manages to make big budget, high grossing films that challenge the audiences with big ideas and grand ambitions, their own faults and all.
  • Big Hero 6 will probably have a better shelf life after theatres due to sequel potential and the fact that the film experience will serve well as home entertainment.
  • Interstellar is one of the most prominent examples a theatre experience that we've seen since Avatar.

All this leading to the finances thus far:
  • Big Hero 6 has a budget of $165 million (minus advertising and marketing). It has grossed $110m domestically and $35 internationally, for a total of $145m thus far. That number will increase significantly as the film opens in theaters around the Pacific Rim. It should hold up well this holiday season considering the only two directly competing films will be Madagascar Penguins and Night at the Museum 3.
  • Interstellar has a budget of $165 million (minus advertising and marketing). It has grossed $97 million domestically and $225 internationally, for a worldwide total of $323 million thus far. That number will increase significantly as it opens overseas more, but it will face greater competition from more teenager and adult entertainment throughout the winter (Hobbit, Hunger Games, Horrible Bosses 2, The Interview, American Sniper, Into the Woods).
So, Big Hero 6 annihilating Interstellar? Hardly. Disney is riding a high of goodwill from Frozen last year, and even if Big Hero 6 was a bad film (which is very much is not), it would have done well at the box office. The ads made it clear as to the tone and appeal the filmmakers were aiming for; it's probably the least ambitious and safest of Disney's computer-animated productions since Tangled.

Again, it was good at what it was attempting to accomplishing, but it was generally predictable and unmemorable compared to other films this year.

Interstellar has its obvious faults (namely, Christopher Nolan's tendency to provide excessive exposition to big ideas), but it's a hugely ambitious film that, even if I hated, I couldn't help but respect the hell out of. It attempts to marry the big ideas of 2001: A Space Odyssey with the human emotion and passion of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It was an exhilarating experience in theaters, especially in IMAX 70MM. It probably my favorite film of the year and easily the best theatre experience I've ever had. High exhilarating and very emotional around a new, enthralling story. You don't see films like this often, faults and all.

As for a BH6 ride, sure, it could be fun. Makes sense in Epcot (moreso than Frozen in Norway). I'd like to see WDW attempt to make E-ticker attractions based on original concepts at some point instead of using film licenses to theme everything they build.

Rant over.
This is just a novel with bullets -- which is worse. Do not shoot the messenger... I provided a link to the article that says BH6 "Crushed" Interstellar at the domestic box office and I tend to agree. I was also careful to note that Interstellar was performing well overseas in another post. BH6 has not been released in all markets, either.

Domestically, BH6 beat Interstellar two weeks in a row and those are the facts -- it was seen as a quiet upset. In no way, am I bashing the film, as I have yet to see it. With that said, the buzz for Nolan's first Oscar is quite strong. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...g-hero-6-the-years-quietest-box-office-smash/

Cartoon or not, BH6 successfully makes studying stem subjects cool to kids watching the movie where Epcot has lacked in this area lately. I too thought of Epcot while watching the movie when they are at the University inventing a lot of futuristic things. Innoventions could be rethemed to this part of the movie to appeal to kids and get them excited about studying stem topics while still staying true to Disney's original idea for Epcot.

On a side note, Disney has always been about synergy and they didn't have all of the ip's in the past and therefore brought the Muppets and Indiana Jones to the Studios in the first place. They are doing the right thing by bringing the new IP's into the parks.
Great post! Very well said & I totally agree with this!

Interstellar was gorgeous eye-candy but I really didn't see what all the fuss is about. If it wasn't for the last half-hour or so I probably would have disliked it content-wise. I didn't care for any of the characters until then. After a certain thing happened (I won't spoil it), it got much better. For me it was "Contact" (which I loved) meets "2001" and it hijacks a test pilot from "The Right Stuff".
After walking out after BH6, I at least felt happy- not so with Interstellar. Is Christopher Nolan capable of "bright" or does he only do "dark"? Anyway, it was good but a little predictable and 'down' until the end. I actually preferred BH6 which I find, for me, surprising.
Wow, thank you so much for an objective review. I can't wait to rent this on Amazon.

Siren

Original Poster
They aren't Toons, they were created for this exhibit first. Toons would be Nemo, Princesses, Aladdin, etc.

N.B. They hit too close to the bone for WDW current clientele... ?
Ouch, you had to go there, didn't you -- you are just terrible. In all honesty though, the initial exhibit was in such poor taste and very insensitive to children. If you look at the Habit Heroes exhibit -- BH6 could totally work in Innoventions, even you can't deny that.

No way, I don't believe it. You have *never* been wrong, not ever!

Lee

Adventurer
I just don't understand why you refuse to see 'BH6'. Wow, I thought you were somewhat of a patriarchal figure on this forum and also a "Disney" guy.
I am a Disney theme park guy who generally dislikes animated films and characters.

Again, the only reason you hold this opinion is because you have not seen the film, otherwise you would agree with us. If you see BH6, your opinion would change.
Not true, as I have spent the last couple days explaining.
A summary:
Original characters created to enhance the experience and effectiveness of an attraction....good.
(Figment, Bonnie Appetite, etc. Even the Habit Heros ones are a good example.)

Putting characters into Epcot when they aren't needed for the sole reason of capitalizing on their popularity....bad.
(Frozen in Maelstrom, Nemo in Seas, a random Big Hero 6 ride etc.)

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
This movie was really good! I know I have said it now a couple of times but it really exceed all expectations and may not be a classic but it again shows the good work Disney Animation is currently doing.

lazyboy97o

There is nothing hair splitting about it. Yes or no, was [character] created for [attraction]? If the answer is Yes, then that character grew out of the attraction's development. If No, then that character was grafted onto something else.

Ouch, you had to go there, didn't you -- you are just terrible. In all honesty though, the initial exhibit was in such poor taste and very insensitive to children. If you look at the Habit Heroes exhibit -- BH6 could totally work in Innoventions, even you can't deny that.

No way, I don't believe it. You have *never* been wrong, not ever!
Habit Heroes was decried by organized fat adults.

Tony Perkis

This is just a novel with bullets -- which is worse. Do not shoot the messenger... I provided a link to the article that says BH6 "Crushed" Interstellar at the domestic box office and I tend to agree. I was also careful to note that Interstellar was performing well overseas in another post. BH6 has not been released in all markets, either.

Domestically, BH6 beat Interstellar two weeks in a row and those are the facts -- it was seen as a quiet upset. In no way, am I bashing the film, as I have yet to see it. With that said, the buzz for Nolan's first Oscar is quite strong. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...g-hero-6-the-years-quietest-box-office-smash/

BH6 has outgrossed Interstellar by only $12.5m in the USA, while Interstellar has outgrossed BH6 by $190m internationally. This information is readily and easily available to look up online.

Don't shoot the messenger is not valid when the messenger didn't double check his sources before posting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom