Western Way Extension

mm121

I'm glad Disney retains control of Flamingo Crossings. I was concerned about sightlines affecting AK (they already do from the EE lift, IMO).

Does anyone know the ownership status / zoning restrictions of the land south of AK (i.e., south of Osceola near AK, and south of 192 near AK)?

disney doesnt own that

if disney buys new land how hard is it for them to transfer it to the RCID

while a 5th gate would be great, i'd love to see some new hotels, like an actual star wars hotel would be super cool

would be cool if they developed an area at studios like the boardwalk area close to epcot, though that would mean building parking garages at studios so highly unlikely

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
disney doesnt own that

if disney buys new land how hard is it for them to transfer it to the RCID

while a 5th gate would be great, i'd love to see some new hotels, like an actual star wars hotel would be super cool

would be cool if they developed an area at studios like the boardwalk area close to epcot, though that would mean building parking garages at studios so highly unlikely

Not hard at all, they have done it recently.

natatomic

I can second the rumor that the intention - desire - is to move all CP housing back there and make it one central location, with a central bus hub. Help clear up 535 traffic, keep the CPs closer to property and all together, and make the bus system more efficient.

mm121

I can second the rumor that the intention - desire - is to move all CP housing back there and make it one central location, with a central bus hub. Help clear up 535 traffic, keep the CPs closer to property and all together, and make the bus system more efficient.
instead of just focusing on CP's, could they also build other affordable housing back there focused on other disney employees?

disney wouldnt even really have to "pay" for it, just partner with developers like some universities have started doing

djkidkaz

unfortunately flamingo crossing, was never going to be the location for a 5th gate

not sure where on property they'd put one if they ever decided to build one

I'm sure @danlb_2000 could post a map of the property highlighted with the most suitable ground and size for a fifth gate!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
unfortunately flamingo crossing, was never going to be the location for a 5th gate

not sure where on property they'd put one if they ever decided to build one

Yeah, the rumor that floated around about that a while bad had no basis in fact.

WDWtraveler

Orlando Sentinel for Monday, May 29, 2017, page D3.
"Disney Road Work.
The Reedy Creek board of supervisors on Wednesday (May 24) awarded a $14.1 million agreement for construction services to Jon M. Hall Co. to construct the Western Way roadway extension project. The construction improvements consist of about 1.75 miles of divided roadway, the construction of pedestrian tunnel (sic), storm water ponds, storm water piping, underground utilities, traffic signalization, roadway lighting and signage. The extension will go from the Flamingo Crossing development to Avalon Road, or County Road 545."

seascape

For people who follow the tax assesors web site this is nothing new. For those if you who don't you may like to look at who is listed as the owner north and south of the road and the size of the two pieces of properties.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
For people who follow the tax assesors web site this is nothing new. For those if you who don't you may like to look at who is listed as the owner north and south of the road and the size of the two pieces of properties.

Not surprisingly it's owned by Disney. Still doesn't tell us what they plan to do with it. There was rumor of CM housing going there. Personally I wouldn't think they are going to use if for anything guest related or they wouldn't have let the Flamingo Crossing land go to third parties.

upload_2017-5-29_14-42-35.png

wishiwere@wdw

I've been staying at the Marriott properties over there quite a bit for business purposes and can't get over how incredibly dead it is. A nice perk is being able to avoid all of the congestion and chaos of the other property entrances so I hope it stays this way lol. That said, I'm still puzzled by the sale of property to 3rd party. They must have a long-term master plan that makes this all make sense?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been staying at the Marriott properties over there quite a bit for business purposes and can't get over how incredibly dead it is. A nice perk is being able to avoid all of the congestion and chaos of the other property entrances so I hope it stays this way lol. That said, I'm still puzzled by the sale of property to 3rd party. They must have a long-term master plan that makes this all make sense?

Golf course would make sense. It's about the right amount of space, and the pedestrian path under the road would be suitable for connecting two parts of it. Most of the land is considered marginally suitable for construction so it would be well suited to a golf course, and there are some suitable areas that could be used for the buildings needed to support a course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom