Western Way Extension

Gatorboy

I thought that the original idea of Flamingo Crossing was that it was supposed to be a kind of "Downtown Disney West" - but less "upscale". Hotels, shops, etc.

And it's been planned for something like 20 years but just never materialized although I think that there's a Marriott or La Quinta or something there, now... and nothing else. It seems like kind of an odd-duck location. In a way it's nice because you're fairly close to the parks but not in Craptown (US 192). Even then, though, it feels "out of the way"..

It was supposed to be a budget minded retail and hotel area, two Marriott brands have built there. It's not really a odd-duck area for the market they're after. 429 is the closest exit off the Turnpike to WDW, which is where majority of people driving would be coming from and it is passed before you get to "Craptown" 192.

From May 2016 OBJ "The property is seeking approval from Orange County's development review committee to build up to 1,300 multifamily residential units and 150,000 square feet of commercial space. The property is four parcels that make up more than 154 acres and will be built in multiple phases."

71jason

It was supposed to be a budget minded retail and hotel area, two Marriott brands have built there. It's not really a odd-duck area for the market they're after. 429 is the closest exit off the Turnpike to WDW, which is where majority of people driving would be coming from and it is passed before you get to "Craptown" 192.

The irony, of course, is that 192 got a Super Target and some nicer Darden/Bloomin restaurants and stole the market away from Flamingo Crossing before anything could be built back there.

My guess is that this expansion is WDW finally realizing it will have a severe CM housing problem within the next decade the way the real estate market is shifting.

clemmo

Clearly this is for something much bigger then just another chain Marriott hotel. I think it's clear this is part of their very very very very long term plans. Why else would they create a completely unnecessary road and underpass? I still doubt it'll be a 5th gate though probably more resorts.

peter11435

Clearly this is for something much bigger then just another chain Marriott hotel. I think it's clear this is part of their very very very very long term plans. Why else would they create a completely unnecessary road and underpass? I still doubt it'll be a 5th gate though probably more resorts.
I don't think you will see any parks or Disney resorts in this area. This area is on the other side of the flamingo crossing area and while still "on property" it is outside the established borders of Walt Disney World.

asianway

The irony, of course, is that 192 got a Super Target and some nicer Darden/Bloomin restaurants and stole the market away from Flamingo Crossing before anything could be built back there.

My guess is that this expansion is WDW finally realizing it will have a severe CM housing problem within the next decade the way the real estate market is shifting.
Nah, the millennials will revolt one day and demand their $15 an hour and no living in the company town.

Never mind, that wont happen

Monorail_Red_77

True. I think the area where current CP CM housing is, is not quite maxed out with about four properties there around the Mickey Retreat area of Little Lake Bryant. However they would need to build more housing in that area. This new area out west would be even better as it would be on property and the CM's would be closer to work. Where as now even though they live on property it is a property bubble well outside current WDW boundaries. As close as it is to WDW property they still have to contend with traffic backups, etc. I would think that on the west side and still being in RCID property limits would be a bonus and maybe even a cost savings considering the amount of transit time and transit by third party TransStar. Could even use existing WDW Transport as they don't leave WDW property.

Map of existing College Programs CM housing area shown in red oval.
WDW CP CM 1.jpg

Map of new Western Way Ext with red oval showing general road area with housing possible along either side of road.
WDW CP CM 2.jpg

Gatorboy

I think Hartzog road connects Avalon to Flamingo crossing

It does connect there. I don't think Disney has abandoned the original concept completely, they've just decided to add housing in the area. The land along this extension is not part of original FC, but land expanding from it.

Siren

I wish it was for a fifth gate but probably for more DVC. I think Disney's strategy is to build enough DVC to the point where the parks can be entirely self sufficient and no longer engage in the theme park arms race like every other amusement park that has to create new attractions every year or so in order to survive.

The location is not desirable at all, so if Disney were to theme this DVC resort to Star Wars, and have it completed just in time for Star Wars land it would sell out very quickly.

Seanual757

I wish it was for a fifth gate but probably for more DVC. I think Disney's strategy is to build enough DVC to the point where the parks can be entirely self sufficient and no longer engage in the theme park arms race like every other amusement park that has to create new attractions every year or so in order to survive.

The location is not desirable at all, so if Disney were to theme this DVC resort to Star Wars, and have it completed just in time for Star Wars land it would sell out very quickly.

I do not see them building DVC that far outside or away from a parks unless a 5th Gate comes. I am still holding out for Disney's Florida Adventure park with 5-7 roller coasters and more stuff for the teens and younger adults to compete with Universal.

Disney will start adding on to existing resorts for DVC I would never purchase a DVC that far out. I am still hoping for a 2nd bay Lake tower so I can own all 3 on the monorail line.

Siren

I do not see them building DVC that far outside or away from a parks unless a 5th Gate comes. I am still holding out for Disney's Florida Adventure park with 5-7 roller coasters and more stuff for the teens and younger adults to compete with Universal.

Disney will start adding on to existing resorts for DVC I would never purchase a DVC that far out. I am still hoping for a 2nd bay Lake tower so I can own all 3 on the monorail line.
Hi @Seanual757! Wow, you're going to own all three monorail DVC's -- that's so awesome!

I read that plans are already underway at the Contemporary for the 2nd Bay Lake Tower. Disney is tearing down the convention center to make room for this. So, happy buying!

Anyway, I agree that the land is just too far out for DVC. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a new neighborhood like Golden Oak or Four Seasons residences or something. I hope it's for a fifth gate though and I like the name Florida's Adventure Park!

clemmo

I could see them building the road, letting the area sit for the most part for 15 years while they fix up the other 4 parks then maybe just maybe open a 5th gate. Of course it wouldn't open for a good 20 years (earliest) but I think it is part of their very very distant future plans.

Brad Bishop

Are they really tearing down the convention center at the Contemporary to build another Bay Lake Tower? I find that hard to believe as it'd block the front, or at least part of it, of the Contemporary and I thought that the convention center there was fairly popular. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they took down the other Garden Wing (South) and built another tower there, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom