Pre-Trip Well this is something new...an August PTR

(Updated on August 1)Well, here we go again....

For anyone who wants to catch up on last year's TR, here is the link:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...o-a-sept-18th-to-the-27th-trip-report.874410/

So our trip will have the same cast as every other trip we've made:

From left to right, Stephanie (our newly minted teenager), her tweener brother Liam, my wife Tammy and myself (Graham)
20130918_065502.jpg

We are booked to be down at the World from August 19th to the 28th.

so what's new this year?
Well, a few things....
1) I messed up on the flights. I got really busy at work and didn't know that Southwest had released the flights for our time period ( I normally monitor these things closely). A friend of ours was talking to me in early March and was saying they booked their flights for September. I believe my facial expression was something like this:eek:. I immediately went on line, but it was too late...all the direct flights with the best times were booked. We ended up booking some flights that have connecting flights at less than ideal times (the 7am departure from Orlando will SUCK) but at least we'll be at Disney. Update - Well, I thought things were bad, and then I got an email from Jet Blue saying they moved our departure time back to 6:15am..... Knowing that Disney wants you off property 3 hours before your flight, that would be a 3:15am Magical Express ride. However...I called Jet Blue to ask if there was anything we could do. It turns out since they changed the time we were allowed to change flights at no charge, so I found an almost identical flight to the one we had, except it leaves at 10:00am instead of 6:15. We're feeling much better about this (and I'm totally impressed with Jet Blue's customer service).

2) We're going in August. Every trip before this one has been in September or October. It was great. Low crowds, slightly cooler weather than the summer...ahhhh....good times. However, this year Steph starts high school (which is crazy. Here's a picture of her and Liam on our first day of our first ever Disney trip in 2008):
Disney pictures - Day 1 038.JPG

Here they are on our last trip:
20130919_191618.jpg

Not sure where the time has gone. Anyways, we didn't feel it would be wise to pull her out of school any more, so we backed the trip up a few weeks to the end of August

3) We're staying somewhere new. We've stayed and AKL the last two years, and have absolutely loved it, but decided to try some of the other DVC resorts. I originally booked at SSR (our home resort), and then called at 7 months out to change it. We had originally wanted either WL or BLT, but neither was available so we wait listed. A few weeks later I called in to cancel the WL wait list and add Boardwalk instead. While I was on the phone with member services, the CM tells me that she just received a notification that our BLT wait list just came through while we were on the phone. So we have a lake view studio at BLT this year. We're a bit concerned since BLT is drastically different in terms of décor and feel than AK (I know...1st world problem), but we want to try it (looking forward to be able to walk to MK and be on the monorail loop).

4) We'll be there for our anniversary. August 22nd will be our 16th anniversary, so it will be nice to actually celebrate on the day instead of waiting a few extra weeks like we normally do. I'm not sure what we will do, but I hope to plan something..which brings us to

dining reservations
Last year was the first time we did Tables in Wonderland, and we thought it was great. The card is good until October, 2014 so we'll get this trip out of it too. Here's what we have for ADRs:

Arrival Day: nothing planned. Not sure when we'll arrive so no ADRs
August 20th: 'Ohana for dinner
August 21st: Rose and Crown
August 22nd: Jiko - figured we'd do a signature on our anniversary Update: We changed this to California Grill. We plan on getting dressed up a bit for this, and don't really want to sit on a bus in a suit and a dress.
Aug23rd: Be Our Guest for dinner
August 24th: Sci-Fi for dinner
August 25th: Whispering Canyon for breakfast Update: We changed this to Trail's End, Beaches and Cream at night for the Kitchen Sink
August 26th: Raglan Road
August 27th: Liberty Tree

5) Other stuff

We had originally planned on buying our park tickets when we arrived, but with the new FastPass+ system, we had to buy them 60 days out. We got 9 day park hoppers with waterparks and more.

At the 60 day mark we went on line and booked our Fastpass + reservations. We got the 7 Dwarves Mine Train on 3 different days (including the night we arrive), and Stephanie got an Anna & Elsa Fastpass. I am on the fence with the Fastpass reservation idea. I like being able to get them for times we wouldn't normally be able to (e.g. 7DMT for 9:30pm when we aren't arriving until 5:00pm), however I think we'll miss the flexibility we normally had. Overall I'm optimistic about the whole thing and am going in with a positive attitude.

So that's it for now. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
That is Great. We will be there from August 20th through the 28th... we are doing Be Our Guest on Sunday the 24th....we also had some interesting issues with travel arrangments... but fortunately, when we leave on the 28th our flight is not until after 6PM.... :) Have fun, maybe we will see you down there!!!
Cool. If you see us come over and say hi.

AJ's B

we'll be at BLT the 19th to the 24th, then SSR til the 30th unless our waitlist comes through. you will love the convenience of BLT. It is our favorite!!!

gwhb75

Original Poster
we'll be at BLT the 19th to the 24th, then SSR til the 30th unless our waitlist comes through. you will love the convenience of BLT. It is our favorite!!!
Thanks. We are looking forward to trying BLT for the first time, although with a bit of uncertainty since it is so different from AKL. We are looking forward to being able to walk to the MK and take the monorail to Epcot. Hopefully your wait list comes through for you. Have a great trip.

DisSplash

Liam loved it, but we've always kind of talked him out of it every other year since our first, mainly because we found the food to be kind of "meh" and it wasn't the best use of the dining plan in terms of cost vs use of dining credits. Now that we're on TiW that's not an issue any more, and we'll just stick to some of the more basic menu items (Tammy and I ordered the ribs the last time and they weren't great).

We love the Sci-Fi! :happy: It's one of our must-do's every trip, mostly because of the theming. I had always found the food to be pretty good, but not "knock your socks off" GREAT until this past January. I deviated from my norm of some sandwich (I tend to go with the Rueben) plus fries and instead opted for the shrimp and pasta dish. OMG it was so delicious!! I cleaned my plate on that one for sure. I also thought that it was way better than any of the dishes I had on the cruise we just got off (a 4-night Dream cruise). I dunno if they were just having a super awesome day in the kitchen, but I still think of that dish when I see people talking about the Sci-Fi. I am getting hungry now just telling you about it! :hungry: Oh -- I also recommend the fried pickles ... super tasty. Although, I don't think I've ever met a fried pickle I didn't like!

gwhb75

Original Poster
We love the Sci-Fi! :happy: It's one of our must-do's every trip, mostly because of the theming. I had always found the food to be pretty good, but not "knock your socks off" GREAT until this past January. I deviated from my norm of some sandwich (I tend to go with the Rueben) plus fries and instead opted for the shrimp and pasta dish. OMG it was so delicious!! I cleaned my plate on that one for sure. I also thought that it was way better than any of the dishes I had on the cruise we just got off (a 4-night Dream cruise). I dunno if they were just having a super awesome day in the kitchen, but I still think of that dish when I see people talking about the Sci-Fi. I am getting hungry now just telling you about it! :hungry: Oh -- I also recommend the fried pickles ... super tasty. Although, I don't think I've ever met a fried pickle I didn't like!
We haven't done Sci-Fi since our first trip, so I figure we may as well give it another chance. Liam is pretty excited about it.

gwhb75

Original Poster
how is the crowd? Is it kinda workable?

Not too bad at all. Most rides are in the 15-30 minute range if you are doing standby (with the exception of the usual group that will always be a lot more regardless of the time of year). It is stinkin' hot though. They said yesterday was the hottest day they had all year, and it felt even hotter today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom