Pre-Trip WEIGHT LOSS, MONEY SAVING, P.A. SCHOOL! DISNEY 2017!

HI FRIENDS!! :) GUESS WHO FOUND OUT SHE'S GOING BACK TO WALT DISNEY WORLD NEXT YEAR!!

"But JROGUE," you may say, "how can this be? You just took your sister trip and didn't you think you might not be back for a while after that?" Well friends, you're right. But little did I know, my parents and boyfriend were all insanely jealous of Jessica and I while we were at WDW. So much so that they decided we need to take a trip there next year!! Needless to say, Jess and I couldn't contain our excitement.
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 10.55.27 AM.png

If you want to check out that completed report, you can find that here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-our-first-sister-trip-report-june-11-15th-2016.914576/

We don't know exactly when we will be able to go. This is where my PTR name factors in! My sister has applied to a Physician Assistant (PA) school, and when we go on this trip depends on whether or not she gets into the school. If she gets in, then we go in May. If she doesn't get in, then we go in October. However, if she gets in and we go in May, we will have to work it around her graduation and finals AND Memorial Day weekend. We could push it back, but I don't want to go again in June because it was too hot so we'll see. We won't know if she gets into the school or not until this October, so that is when the REAL nitty gritty and booking will commence!

One thing that I do know for sure is no matter when we go ...We are going back HOME! WE ARE STAYING AT THE POLYNESIAN RESORT! YAY!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

More TK soon, as I will explain what the rest of my PTR name comes from! A brief summary: I am going to lose weight for our next trip (at least around 30lbs) and I am saving money for it -- I'll tell you how!

So, next up: Weight loss, money saving, and the WHO of the trip!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am starting with a small goal of losing 10 pounds and feeling/sleeping better. Then I will go from there.

Years ago, I had to lose about 40 pounds for health reasons. I approached it 10 pounds at a time. This worked out well for me. (Ten was doable in my mind; 40 was impossible.) But I did end up losing 40 pounds in about 4 1/2 months, simply by the 10-pound increments approach, so that I wouldn't self-sabotage myself and give up.

Basically, I just ate smaller portion sizes of my usual foods (no "diet" foods), and really watched out for desserts, and lowered my carb intake (but didn't cut it out completely). Don't deprive yourself if you're really craving something--I'd have a hot fudge sundae once a month to keep my spirits up. Again, I lost 40 pounds.

Sometimes Vinny makes me feel like I have my very own Mousekeeping! :hilarious::hilarious:

This is how he made our bed.
20160626_120305-jpg.148791

OMG! The characters on the bed are adorable! Cute pillows, too!

jrogue

Original Poster
Basically, I just ate smaller portion sizes of my usual foods (no "diet" foods), and really watched out for desserts, and lowered my carb intake (but didn't cut it out completely). Don't deprive yourself if you're really craving something--I'd have a hot fudge sundae once a month to keep my spirits up. Again, I lost 40 pounds.
That is awesome!! :D And great advice as well!!

OMG! The characters on the bed are adorable! Cute pillows, too!
Thank you! :)

jrogue

Original Poster
Without further ado, SARA BAREILLES!!

I saw on 1iota that they had some free tickets to see her Macy's 4th of July Fireworks performance. I entered, not thinking that I would be actually chosen since it was too close to the date and they were probably full by then. I am a huge Sara Bareilles fan, and I was hoping that it would be something like a mini concert. They had a section on the website where you fill out why you should be chosen, and I let them know how much I adore her music. I still didn't have high hopes to be picked. However, later that day, I received word that not only did I get chosen to receive two free tickets, I got put on the Priority waiting list! It was awesome, and I was excited.

We were told to line up at 5:30 even though the event wouldn't start until 8. The event was going to be at a rooftop bar in downtown Manhattan. I left work a little early and headed on over! Luckily for me, Vinny got there a little bit before I did so he was able to save me a spot in line. I didn't take out my camera while we were waiting, so I don't have any pictures from then. I didn't know if they would let us take photos or not.

As we were waiting, we were all given green wristbands. However, later on we saw some people received yellow wristbands. We think those were the people that REALLY fit the mold of who they were looking to be front and center stage. I think Vinny's hair was a little too curly for us to be picked :hilarious:

After all the yellow bands were ushered upstairs it was our turn!! It was about 7:30 at this point and we were getting very excited. Once we got up there, people started taking photos so I took my camera out!
001.jpg

The view from that rooftop bar was beautiful. We were right in front of the Empire State Building!
002.jpg

Since my camera has amazing zoom I was able to zoom all the way up to the observatory deck and creep on some people :cyclops:
003.jpg

Here are a couple more pics of the view:
004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

And here is one of our green wristbands. I wish they worked like MagicBands!
007.jpg

Just before 8pm they started handing out some candles. They were super cute, and they asked us all to turn ours on.
008.jpg
009.jpg

Once all the candles were handed out the queen herself arrived onstage!! :D
010.jpg

jrogue

Original Poster
We heard earlier that she was going to sing a tribute to the victims of the Orlando massacre. (see? this ties into Disney somehow) The song was going to be What the World Needs Now. If you're watching the Macy's 4th of July fireworks I'm sure you'll be able to see it! You might even see me and Vinny in the crowd!! (they took a lot of crowd shots)

She started adjusting her mic:
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg

014.jpg

She kept joking that her skirt was going to fly up during the performance since it was so windy
015.jpg

Then one last adjustment ...her makeup team (one woman lol) came out to fix her up.
016.jpg

And then she began! She sung it twice, thats how long it took for them to get a perfect take of it. After each time she exclaimed "HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE" and then once she was off camera whispered "it's not the fourth of july" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg

jrogue

Original Poster
Her tribute to Orlando was absolutely beautiful, and everyone felt all sorts of warm tingly feelings listening to her perfect voice. I took a video, but I think it would be way better if you guys checked it out on TV! I'm sure their version is way better than mine.
022.jpg

023.jpg
024.jpg

After Sara sang, they took the crowd shots and asked us to sing along to the recorded track of her singing o_O I took some pictures while we did this

025.jpg

And then she was back! She said she didn't want to leave us hanging with just the one song, so she came out to sing Brave.
026.jpg

027.jpg
030.jpg
IMG_1672 copy.jpg

It was such a nice performance in such a nice area! It was definitely worth going, especially to see her sing live :inlove:

Our feet were killing us by the end of the performance though after all that standing! So we took a couple more pictures and then headed out.
IMG_1674 copy.jpg
IMG_1679 copy.jpg

It was definitely a beautiful tribute and I am excited to watch it again before the fireworks! Let me know if any of you do as well and if you see me and Vin!! :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Her tribute to Orlando was absolutely beautiful, and everyone felt all sorts of warm tingly feelings listening to her perfect voice. I took a video, but I think it would be way better if you guys checked it out on TV! I'm sure their version is way better than mine.
View attachment 149212
View attachment 149213 View attachment 149214

After Sara sang, they took the crowd shots and asked us to sing along to the recorded track of her singing o_O I took some pictures while we did this

View attachment 149215

And then she was back! She said she didn't want to leave us hanging with just the one song, so she came out to sing Brave.
View attachment 149216
View attachment 149217 View attachment 149218 View attachment 149219

It was such a nice performance in such a nice area! It was definitely worth going, especially to see her sing live :inlove:

Our feet were killing us by the end of the performance though after all that standing! So we took a couple more pictures and then headed out.
View attachment 149221 View attachment 149222

It was definitely a beautiful tribute and I am excited to watch it again before the fireworks! Let me know if any of you do as well and if you see me and Vin!! :joyfull:

Awesome that you won the tickets!! I love seeing the Empire State Building in the background (one of my favorites in Manhattan--there's nothing like the Empire!!). That looks like a blast being at an outdoor rooftop venue like that, for a filmed concert.

sheriffwoody

AHHHH That event sounds so amazing. I guess that's the kind of thing I miss out on living in a small town :arghh:. I'll definitely check it out on TV tomorrow.

Have you seen Waitress yet? I've thought about planning a NY trip just to see it. I'd love to see Hamilton too, but...fat chance :hilarious:

jrogue

Original Poster
AHHHH That event sounds so amazing. I guess that's the kind of thing I miss out on living in a small town :arghh:. I'll definitely check it out on TV tomorrow.

Have you seen Waitress yet? I've thought about planning a NY trip just to see it. I'd love to see Hamilton too, but...fat chance :hilarious:
I haven't seen it yet but I want to so badly! I was thinking of asking for tickets for Christmas :) you should definitely make the trip over and see it!! :)

jrogue

Original Poster
And now for some MONEY SAVING TIPS

I have a new system in place and it is helping me be very money conscious.

First, Vinny and I have two jars where we keep our extra change for vacation money.
image.jpeg

Any spare change we have goes into the right. Then, once we have enough saved up, we roll our coins into those little paper thingies and bring them to Chase to change for money. As long as you have a Chase account they do this for free. I believe a bunch of other banks do this as well. My mom and I used to love the Penny Arcade at TD bank but they have discontinued them in my neighborhood. The cash, or random dollar bills we put in, are on the left. Once that reaches $300 I will be putting that into our next means of saving, which is the....

Disney Vacation Account. I've opened up one of these with Disney, and so far it is great. I have set up a specific amount of money for them to take from me every week. Once I have saved $1000 I get a $20 Disney Gift Card. I also have a Disney Visa, so I am charging the weekly payment to my Disney Visa and paying it off there that way I also get the Disney Visa rewards points! :) I still have my Disney Visa rewards card from my last trip so I will just reload the money onto there. Last trip I had about $200 saved up, so this trip I am hoping to get more.

Lastly, I have broken down all of my weekly and monthly expenses in this book.
image.jpeg

I put my paycheck in, and then subtract from there. I've calculated how much extra a month that leaves me for spending on misc things, or to save. This first week getting used to it has been a little hard and has really out into perspective how much I spend nd where I can spend less. I have limited myself to $120 a week on food (which includes groceries and eating at restaurants) which will help with both the weight loss and saving money.

So that is what I am doing now, and hoping to save 3,000 by March 31st! Do you guys also have any money saving tips?

I've lost a little weight, though I understand some is water or salt weight. Yay!

Weight last Sunday: 227.7
Weight this Sunday: 224.6

sheriffwoody

I need to check out the vacation saving account! I've read a little about it, but haven't checked it out. I am bad at intentionally saving money for stuff, but I am really good at hoarding all my money :joyfull:. I tend to just let it sit in the bank until I'm like "MUST HAVE THIS NEW TOY" then I live lean for a few months until I can relax again...it's a terrible system. I wish I had some tips for you, but it sounds like you have a pretty awesome plan in place!

Congrats on the progress toward your weight loss goal!

jrogue

Original Poster
I need to check out the vacation saving account! I've read a little about it, but haven't checked it out. I am bad at intentionally saving money for stuff, but I am really good at hoarding all my money :joyfull:. I tend to just let it sit in the bank until I'm like "MUST HAVE THIS NEW TOY" then I live lean for a few months until I can relax again...it's a terrible system. I wish I had some tips for you, but it sounds like you have a pretty awesome plan in place!

Congrats on the progress toward your weight loss goal!
Haha I totally get the same way about money, which is why I was like ok you need to do some serious savings now!! & thank you!! :) :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
And now for some MONEY SAVING TIPS

I have a new system in place and it is helping me be very money conscious.

First, Vinny and I have two jars where we keep our extra change for vacation money.
View attachment 149334
Any spare change we have goes into the right. Then, once we have enough saved up, we roll our coins into those little paper thingies and bring them to Chase to change for money. As long as you have a Chase account they do this for free. I believe a bunch of other banks do this as well. My mom and I used to love the Penny Arcade at TD bank but they have discontinued them in my neighborhood. The cash, or random dollar bills we put in, are on the left. Once that reaches $300 I will be putting that into our next means of saving, which is the....

Disney Vacation Account. I've opened up one of these with Disney, and so far it is great. I have set up a specific amount of money for them to take from me every week. Once I have saved $1000 I get a $20 Disney Gift Card. I also have a Disney Visa, so I am charging the weekly payment to my Disney Visa and paying it off there that way I also get the Disney Visa rewards points! :) I still have my Disney Visa rewards card from my last trip so I will just reload the money onto there. Last trip I had about $200 saved up, so this trip I am hoping to get more.

Lastly, I have broken down all of my weekly and monthly expenses in this book.
View attachment 149336
I put my paycheck in, and then subtract from there. I've calculated how much extra a month that leaves me for spending on misc things, or to save. This first week getting used to it has been a little hard and has really out into perspective how much I spend nd where I can spend less. I have limited myself to $120 a week on food (which includes groceries and eating at restaurants) which will help with both the weight loss and saving money.

So that is what I am doing now, and hoping to save 3,000 by March 31st! Do you guys also have any money saving tips?

I've lost a little weight, though I understand some is water or salt weight. Yay!

Weight last Sunday: 227.7
Weight this Sunday: 224.6

This is all very encouraging and looks like you're getting your life in good order. :)

You asked about savings tips. Well, mine isn't rocket science or anything, but it is a bit helpful. (Every little bit saved is helpful!!) I use cash to pay for many things 9and avoid using my credit cards as much as possible). Even if an item comes to say, $1.05, I'll give the clerk $2.00, to get the change.

ALL my change each week goes into a jar. When the jar is full (maybe every 2 months--it's not a huge jar), I take it to the bank where they have a free coin sorter, and I bring the slip to the teller. Usually, I end up with approx. $35. Then, I go to Target and take out $15 in cash from my purse and buy a $50 Disney gift card with that, and the $35 from the coins I cashed in. Generally, I end up with 4 cards each year ($200), and it's fairly painless, in terms of saving. Since I don't do any table service meals, I use the $200 to help with QS meals, snacks, etc. (I only go to WDW for 3-4 days.)

lostpro9het

We do this too but take it one step further. We buy a $50 gift card at Kroger each week with our Disney visa then apply the GC to the vacation account. Not only do we get double rewards points on the card but we end up getting 4x on the fuel points at Kroger saving us on gas too. We've already gotten our first $20 GC from the savings account too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom