Week after Thanksgiving, what is going to be open in DHS?

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
As far as I have gathered here none of the expansions will be anywhere near open yet, and GMR is apparently going away in the late summer so I am trying to figure out what is even going to be there for my family consisting of a 1 year old, a 2 year old, and a 6 year old. It kind of looks like Toys Story and some shows?

Am I missing something here or should I plan to spend about an hour in this park this year?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Gotcha. I'd love nothing more than to see it stay open. I fear two weeks ago was my last ride :( would be nice if someone who has a say in what's going on at DHS could convince them Mickey needs to be a new build.
Been 2 years for me since my last ride on my fave at HS actually :(...was at WDW last month but only for 1 night to go to MK to see Wishes one last time. Hoping Martin is wrong and it's pushed back longer. :(

Upvote 0

Kman101

Been 2 years for me since my last ride on my fave at HS actually :(...was at WDW last month but only for 1 night to go to MK to see Wishes one last time. Hoping Martin is wrong and it's pushed back longer. :(

This is one case I wish he were. Hope you get the chance to ride it again! It's such a shame they're going to (potentially) gut it.

Upvote 0

Biff215

We won't be back as I mentioned until 11/29-12/12 so if he is right I will miss it. :cry:
I also hope Disney reconsiders, but the contract has nothing to do with it. If it closes before the contract ends, it's because Disney wants its replacement to open before or with SWL. I believe their thinking is flawed on that as even a new shiny ride in an existing building will not result in a significant capacity boost which is what the park will desperately need.

For a young family, DHS might not be worthwhile, but that's not really anything new. It's at least worth a half day if you have hoppers IMO, we spend a full day there with our 4 and 8 year old.

Upvote 0

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
Last year when I took my 5 year old alone we spent 45 minutes in DHS out of the whole week, I have a feeling that this year will be no different. Thank you all for the replies.

Next question... Is there something going on with the Epcot restaurants that last week in November? I was not overly surprised to see Akershus unavailable but when I noticed that Biergarten is unavailable all week something seemed off. Is it because they are waiting to release the Candlelight Processional dining packages maybe?

Unavailable restaurants that I have noticed are: Rose & Crown, Akershus, Garden Grill, Biergarten, and Le Cellier for every meal, every day of the trip.

Upvote 0

Greg H

Last year when I took my 5 year old alone we spent 45 minutes in DHS out of the whole week, I have a feeling that this year will be no different. Thank you all for the replies.

Next question... Is there something going on with the Epcot restaurants that last week in November? I was not overly surprised to see Akershus unavailable but when I noticed that Biergarten is unavailable all week something seemed off. Is it because they are waiting to release the Candlelight Processional dining packages maybe?

Unavailable restaurants that I have noticed are: Rose & Crown, Akershus, Garden Grill, Biergarten, and Le Cellier for every meal, every day of the trip.

I noticed the same thing for Nov 28th. It has been that way for Nov 28th anyway since we had access a few days ago. I seem to remember it being this way last year too with certain restaurants such as Garden Grill. You could call and see if they have anymore availability. Could be that some places have not released anything yet. I would say it could be for the processional packages but the following week has lots of availability.

Upvote 0

carriebeth

If you went to Hollywood recently and only spent 45 minutes total there, you probably will do about the same this time. Our family, however, loves Hollywood and we go a minimum of 2 whole days rope drop to close every trip (of around 12 days). I have 8 children and they are every 2 ish years apart from a 1 year old up.

I actually think your one year old and 2 year old (especially) would enjoy toy story mania. Las trip my youngest had just turned a year and he didn't do the shooter and sat inbetween two of us that did but he thought the twists and turns were great fun. By the time any of mine are two they are shooting away (not hitting much) but thinking they are scoring big! Unless they are kids who get frightened easily or are timid they should be fine.

We all love watching the shows. There are a lot of characters for the little ones to meet. Buzz, Woody, Doc Mcstuffins, Jake, etc. Plus there are some great dining options there as well (50's Prime TIme, Sci Fi, Mama Melrose, and for the little ones especially the Disney Jr characters at Hollywood and Vine)

Doesn't the Star Wars things there interest you either? THe fireworks show at night is really good....we do that one night and Fantasmic the other.

IN our two days we do repeat things....we will ride Tower of Terror at least a few times, Rockin Rollarcoaster a couple times at least, Star Tours quite a few times (its a running contest to see who will get to be the rebel spy), Toy Story as many times as we can when lines are low or with fast passes. But thats because we all really enjoy those things and have a fantastic time

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As far as I have gathered here none of the expansions will be anywhere near open yet, and GMR is apparently going away in the late summer so I am trying to figure out what is even going to be there for my family consisting of a 1 year old, a 2 year old, and a 6 year old. It kind of looks like Toys Story and some shows?

Am I missing something here or should I plan to spend about an hour in this park this year?

Rides
  1. Toy Story Mania (replaced Millionaire, and was expanded with a third track May 27, 2016)
  2. Rock N Rollercoaster
  3. Tower of Terror
  4. The Great Movie Ride (likely to be closed, but, timetables can always slip)
  5. Star Tours

Shows
  • Muppet 3D
  • Frozen Singalong & Comedy Show (new theater, permanent now, replaced American Idol, adult-friendly)
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Show
  • Little Mermaid Musical
  • Beauty and the Beast Musical
  • Fantasmic!
  • Disney Jr. (for the kids)
  • Citizens of Hollywood (street show)
  • Jedi Academy (updated, fun to watch just as a show)
  • SW Fireworks and projection show
  • Capt. Phasma with Troopers March and Show of Force
  • Star Wars Stage Show
  • Music of Pixar (so far, scheduled just for the Summer, but, may continue into the Fall)
  • Disney Movie Magic Projection Show (so far, not even officially announced, this surprise show may continue into the Fall)
  • Path of the Jedi Short Movie
  • One Man's Dream (the movie portion may be temporarily replaced by a theatrical preview)
  • Launch Bay
  • Sunset Showcase may have something going on, like a dance party, but it's been unfortunately underutilized
  • Jingle BAM Fireworks & Projection Seasonal Show (depending how late in the Fall you go)

Meet & Greets

• Star Wars: Chewie, Kylo, Storm Troopers, Jawas (make sure you have a trinket to trade), BB-8
  • Hollywood Mickey & Minnie
  • Olaf
  • Pixar characters (Woody, Buzz, in Pixar Way)
  • Green Army Men Boot Camp streetmosphere
  • Disney Jr. (Doc, Jake, Sophia)
  • Character Meals at Hollywood & Vine (Disney Jr. for breakfast and lunch, Fab Four for dinner)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Most of the park is still open lol...just looks like a lot is closed due to the walls. Still plenty to see and do and likely the same later this year. Don't see why people say not much of the park is open. Very few things were affected for expansions. ;)

Except 2 very large capacity shows/ rides plus SoA. Some people miss them, some people don't, but the fact is they held huge numbers of people and their closure has definitely affected the park. It feels so much more crowded than it did before. And of course Osbourne Lights are gone too, which I wish I could have seen on our first Christmas trip in 2016.

However I agree, there is still plenty to do. I guess when people have seen the shows plenty of times, they tend to discount them. OTOH I would never set foot inside the park without watching Indy! And I search out the street performers each time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom