We have been on The Dream twice will I like Wonder?

tink66

Original Poster
We have sailed the Dream twice and absolutely loved it!!! Will I like the Wonder? I know its smaller and older. Advice please.

Kerby626

I sailed the Dream 3 times before sailing the Magic. I absolutely loved the smaller ship esp on Castaway where you could really tell the difference in ship size

PolynesianPrincess

We have been on the Dream twice and then will be on the Fantasy in November. We have a booking for the Wonder in April. I'm actually looking forward to trying out the smaller ships! Plus, if the Wonder is the next one to receive a refurb, I want to have a chance to sail on her in her original form :) I have heard many people like the smaller ships due to them being less crowded.

Bolna

I have only been on the Wonder so far (twice) and really loved the ship. Having looked at pictures from the Fantasy and Dream, I think it depends on what you are looking forward in a cruise vacation. The older ships are in many ways a little "simpler". But I think they have great advantages, too. Like less people at CC, shorter distances etc.

The Wonder has a very nice adult area themed after Route 66 with a fun hallway that has a map of Route 66 in the carpet, saloon themed bathrooms, the Cadillac Lounge as cocktail bar. It is kind of an adult Cars Land.

Triton's is a very pretty restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere. I also like Parrot Cay with all the colourful birds and think it fits much better for a cruise in warm climate than the theme of Enchanted Garden (even though that looks very pretty!).

Most people find the buffet (Beach Blanket Buffet) to be not so nice compared to Cabanas. I am not a huge buffet eater myself, so it did not bother me at all.

The adult pool area on the classic ships is very spacious and light, most people seem to prefer it to the Dream class ships.

I absolutely loved both my cruises on the Wonder and thought she was in generally great shape! If it were not my inner Disney geek, I would be happy to just cruise on the Wonder again and again.

Oh - and in the last dry dock this past January she got a few upgrades and now has the locks on the doors where you just touch your KTTW and the folder system in Shutters (no longer big walls of pictures).

DVC4bestvacations

We are going on our fourth cruise on the Magic in November. We choose the smaller ship because we enjoy our pool time. The Dream and Fantasy hole almost twice as many passengers. The pool areas are not twice as big on those ships. I can only guess how crowded their pools are on sea days.

ChuckElias

You will notice the lack of a few cool features. There's no interactive art on the Wonder, or Muppet Detective Agency, for example. However, you'll also notice that it doesn't take an hour to walk from Quiet Cove to Beach Blanket Buffet. The adults only areas (themed as "Route 66") are definitely smaller on the Wonder, but they are wonderful. Diversions (instead of O'Gills) is one of my favorite spots on the whole ship, and I love the Cadillac Lounge, personally.

You'll notice that the shows are different from those that you're used to on the Dream. On the Wonder, you'll get to see Disney Dreams, which essentially set the standard for cruise ship entertainment when it was first introduced with DCL. You'll get to see my favorite of all Disney Cruise's shows: The Golden Mickeys. And you'll see Toy Story -- the Musical. That's not my favorite show, to be honest; but you have to go just to see the sets and costumes. They're really cool.

You'll like Triton's restaurant just as much as Royal Palace, if not more. It's more intimate and the Little Mermaid mosaic is beautiful. While Crush will not visit you in Animator's Palate, the show in that restaurant was also considered revolutionary when it first debuted. And I personally like Palo BETTER on the Wonder and Magic, because the decor includes amazing hand-made Italian masks.

So you'll definitely notice that you're not on the coolest, newest boat in the world. But there is so much to love about the Wonder that I think you'll be very happy.

Last edited:

wogwog

You will notice the lack of a few cool features. There's no interactive art on the Wonder, or Muppet Detective Agency, for example. However, you'll also notice that it doesn't take an hour to walk from Quiet Cove to Beach Blanket Buffet. The adults only areas (themed as "Route 66") are definitely smaller on the Wonder, but they are wonderful. Diversions (instead of O'Gills) is one of my favorite spots on the whole ship, and I love the Cadillac Lounge, personally.

You'll notice that the shows are different from those that you're used to on the Dream. On the Wonder, you'll get to see Disney Dreams, which essentially set the standard for cruise ship entertainment when it was first introduced with DCL. You'll get to see my favorite of all Disney Cruise's shows: The Golden Mickeys. And you'll see Toy Story -- the Musical. That's not my favorite show, to be honest; but you have to go just to see the sets and costumes. They're really cool.

You'll like Triton's restaurant just as much as Royal Palace, if not more. It's more intimate and the Little Mermaid mosaic is beautiful. While Crush will not visit you in Animator's Palate, the show in that restaurant was also considered revolutionary when it first debuted. And I personally like Palo BETTER on the Wonder and Magic, because the decor includes amazing hand-made Italian masks.

So you'll definitely notice that you're not on the coolest, newest boat in the world. But there is so much to love about the Wonder that I think you'll be very happy.
Chuck sounds like I wrote a script for Chuck. I usually sail every ship every year. I always sail the classics if they are available. But I am near Port Canaveral and at times only have the new ones sailing from there while the experienced ships are in Europe and Alaska.

fltink

I'd take a classic ship any day! Not that the newer ones aren't impressive and beautiful, but the classics are smaller and tend to have the more "seasoned" crew. The Magic... Especially with its most recent renovations, is my favorite.

sweetpee_1993

Now where have I heard...."We'll let them have the buses...we'll take the Ferraris....":p

I've sailed the Dream, Fantasy, & Magic (pre-reimagining). I'll take the smaller ships over the larger ones any day! Finally hitting the Wonder TWICE b2b in about a month. Cannot wait to finally see the 4th ship in the fleet!

wogwog

Now where have I heard...."We'll let them have the buses...we'll take the Ferraris....":p

I've sailed the Dream, Fantasy, & Magic (pre-reimagining). I'll take the smaller ships over the larger ones any day! Finally hitting the Wonder TWICE b2b in about a month. Cannot wait to finally see the 4th ship in the fleet!
You will love it. Doing b2b as well on Wonder but I will be on board in Oct.

durangojim

We have sailed the Dream twice and went on the "newly imagineered Magic" this past January. We love the Dream and we liked the Magic. We preferred Animator's Palate on the Magic, but pretty much liked everything else on the Dream except for the MDR servers, they were much better on the Magic. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Wonder but we don't mind and actually prefer the larger ships. To each his own.

tink66

Original Poster
Im so excited to try the Wonder after reading all of your responses!! :) I was looking at menus and I really like what I see at parrot bay and Tritons. Should I try the brunch at Palos if available?

ChuckElias

Should I try the brunch at Palos if available?
You should absolutely dine at Palo. If you can only go for one meal, I would probably recommend dinner over brunch, personally. But that means you give up a night in a rotational restaurant. I really love brunch at Palo; it's a great experience with both buffet and menu items available. So you can't go wrong either way.

That probably doesn't really help you, sorry. :D

tink66

Original Poster
You should absolutely dine at Palo. If you can only go for one meal, I would probably recommend dinner over brunch, personally. But that means you give up a night in a rotational restaurant. I really love brunch at Palo; it's a great experience with both buffet and menu items available. So you can't go wrong either way.

That probably doesn't really help you, sorry. :D
My Hubby LOVES brunch that's why we are leaning toward brunch. Im not a fan of animators for dinner Im on a 4 night and hope we do not have that twice. If we do can I go to the front desk and ask to change?

Bolna

My Hubby LOVES brunch that's why we are leaning toward brunch. Im not a fan of animators for dinner Im on a 4 night and hope we do not have that twice. If we do can I go to the front desk and ask to change?

Look at your first day navigator when you board the ship, there will be something about dining changes. On my last two cruises on the Wonder it was at Studio Sea which is on deck 4 above the atrium. But supposedly they change that around, so just check the navigator. However, you could also already put a request with Disney now that you want a dining rotation that has only one meal at AP. Once you get your KTTW with the rotation you can see whether your request has been granted.

Bolna

Oh - and for brunch on a 4-night cruise I would recommend to try to book that as early as you can! It is only offered on the one sea day. Since you have been on two cruises you can book 90 days out. If you can't get a reservation, go to the place which handles Palo reservations on your boarding day as soon as you can. They do hold reservations back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom