Trip Report *Completed* We Got No Troubles, Life Is The Bubbles, Down at Disney

Hi Everyone! Welcome to my first ever trip report. I discovered this site about a year ago and have been reading trip reports ever since. I hope you enjoy following along with mine.

The Cast:

DH Paul and me, Lisa

DS Adam and DSGF Kara
They graduated from high school in May and will be attending the University of Kentucky this fall.
"What Team?"
"Wildcats!"
Sorry, couldn't resist the High School Musical reference!

DD Allie and DDF (DD friend) Sarah
Allie takes awesome photos and I plan to use lots of her pictures in my report.

When? July 13-21, 2014
Where? Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Why? Our 25th Anniversary and Family Vacation

Day 1
July 13, 2014
We usually take 2 days to drive to WDW. Since we had extra people with us on this trip and would need 2 hotel rooms, we decided to save the hotel money and do the drive in one day.
We planned to leave our home in Cincinnati at midnight, but Paul and I had last minute packing to finish and Kara and Sarah both forgot things that had to be picked up from their homes.

Allie decorated the van for the trip!

We took a quick selfie and we finally hit the road about 1 am. Sorry for the crappy photo quality, but I had to include it!

I thought it would be fun to pass out little treats themed to each state we would drive through on the way to Florida. One thing came to mind when I thought about items produced in Kentucky, unfortunately I didn't think bourbon was appropriate for all members of our group.

Luckily I found an alternative at the UK campus bookstore!

The next state was Tennessee. Moon Pies are made in Chattanooga!

Next up was Georgia. I debated between peaches and peanuts and finally decided on

Peanut M&Ms!!

PALM TREES!!! We finally made it to Florida! We stopped at the Florida Welcome Center for free orange juice.

The next several hours dragged by. Disney should invent some form of magical transportation that whisks you to WDW as soon as you cross the Florida state line!

Finally, we saw this beautiful sight!

We couldn't believe we were finally here!

Minutes later the excitement reached a new level as we saw this…..

One last turn and we had reached our home for the week…..

Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Up next, exploring the Wilderness Lodge!

Last edited:

Mom@disney

The woodcarver was located outside of Mombasa Marketplace which is near the Kilimanjaro Safari. He had some really cool pieces of art to choose from.

I read all of them at MK and AK and took pictures of those because they were my favorites.

I was relieved that we all made it on the same ride vehicle. I was also relieved that we got to see a good number of animals. There were quite a few construction walls up at AK. Can't remember exactly where, but I am pretty sure some were around the Tree of Life. Loved reading the quotes.
Walt Disney had a way with words! I have a large Ariel Tattoo with his quote " All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them". Words to live by. I'm really enjoying your trip report. It is so nice when we can share wonderful memories with our families.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I'm new here, and this is the first TR that I've read. It has certainly set the bar high! Definitely has me excited for my trip in September. Thanks for the tip about the spiked Dole Whip! That's now added to my list of new things to try out! :)

Welcome to Walt Disney World Magic! I feel honored that my trip report is the first one you've read! So glad you are enjoying it. You are welcome for the spiked Dole Whip tip. I learned about them from these boards, too. I think they were my favorite new thing that I tried this trip. Can't wait to hear how you like them. Your trip is really close!! I hope you have a magical time. Are you planning to write a trip report?

Walt Disney had a way with words! I have a large Ariel Tattoo with his quote " All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them". Words to live by. I'm really enjoying your trip report. It is so nice when we can share wonderful memories with our families.
Walt Disney definitely had a way with words. I am such a sentimental sap that I teared up reading half those dream builders quotes. Love the quote you have with your tattoo. That is a great quote to keep on hand in case I need some extra words of encouragement for Adam or Allie in the future. I'm so glad that people are enjoying my trip report. I was worried that no one would want to read mine.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Saturday, July 19 continued…
So, we spent the early part of our morning at AK and then we headed for Epcot. We were there earlier in the week and had a long list of things we wanted to see and do here today.

Good Morning, beautiful!

Our first stop was Living with the Land. Paul, Adam, Allie and I always like this ride. Kara and Sarah seemed to enjoy it, too.

I liked this quote from the queue for Living with the Land

By now we were hungry again so we headed to Sunshine Seasons for a snack to keep us happy until our lunch in Italy.

Strawberry shortcake and iced coffee. I am making myself hungry :hungry:.
Cheesecake and a Chocolate Mousse Cake

Kara's brownie (I think it had chocolate chips in it)

Adam's favorite mac & cheese!
After we filled our tummies we headed for the character spot. Kara and Sarah were hoping to meet a certain mouse. The stand by time was posted at 15 minutes. We didn't have much time to spare because we were either starting or near our fp+ window for Test Track.

We waited close to 20 minutes and decided to bail so we didn't miss TT. Kara and Sarah never did get to meet Mickey :(.

On our way to TT we saw the Jamminators. They were very entertaining!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We finally made it to Test Track

Paul, Sarah and Allie were a team. Paul let the girls do the designing.

Their car.

Our car.

Now that we'd used our fast passes (we missed Spaceship Earth while we were at AK, but that was okay because we rode it earlier in the week), we wanted to try for fast passes for Soarin. We rode it earlier in the week, but once was not enough. We needed a plan because Sarah and Kara wanted to meet Belle. She was scheduled to be out for a meet & greet at 1pm, which was the same time as our ADR at Tutto Italia. I figured that if we were first in line to meet Belle we could snap a few pics and then head over to Tutto Italia and only be a couple minutes late. Belle would be out for meet and greets again between 3 and 5, but that was when we planned to take a break back at WL, so we were really aiming for the 1pm slot. I told the crew that I would go to the fp+ kiosk to try to get the fp+ for Soarin while they started walking over to France to get in line to meet Belle. I high tailed it over to the fp+ kiosk and unfortunately all the Soarin fast passes had been distributed for the day:cry:! I was sad because Soarin is one of my favorites and everybody wanted to ride it again. I figured we'd try stand by later, but wasn't going to count on the wait being what we were willing to do. I then started to power walk toward France. It was really hot that day and I was one big sweat ball by the time I got there. Belle was finishing her noon meet & greet so it was perfect timing, I would be first in line. But wait, something is wrong with this picture. The rest of the crew was supposed to be heading here before me. I called Paul to see what was up. He told me that they had gotten caught up in the exhibits at the end of TT and were heading my way, but they weren't with Adam & Kara. Apparently they'd gotten separated and Adam & Kara weren't answering their phones. Adam called and wanted to know where everyone was. I told him and he and Kara headed over, too. Belle was right on time. We had a nice visit with her. She wanted to know how we all knew each other. I can't really remember what else we talked about, but she was great!

Now off to Tutto Italia for lunch! Even though we'd just had a snack, we were starving. We have eaten at Tutto Italia our last 3 visits. During our 2010 trip Allie and Adam were hungry for Italian food. We didn't have a reservation, but gave Tutto Italia a shot and we walked right in for lunch. We loved it and now it is a tradition to go there for lunch on every trip. When we checked in, the manager saw Allie's UK shirt and asked where we were from. We told him we were from Cincinnati. He used to live in Cincinnati. We spent a few minutes talking about local places and he told us how much he missed eating Skyline Chili and Graeters ice cream.

Bread

Olives

Group shot
We ordered drinks and our appetizer. A few minutes later they brought out our calamari and then they also set down a huge anti pasta platter. Paul and I looked at each other because we thought the server had heard Paul explaining what anti pasta meant and thought we were ordering it. But then the server said that it was a special surprise for us. It was from Sarah's family!
It was a ton of food and it was delicious!
For our entrees everyone but Adam ordered the ravioli. Adam ordered salmon.
When they brought out our food they had Adam's order wrong. They brought him ravioli, too. They apologized and he had a salmon entree in about 5 minutes.

Our ravioli. Sorry, no picture of the salmon because Adam was starving and since they'd mixed up his meal I didn't want to make him wait for me to take a picture.
We are sooooo full!

Allie likes to have her picture taken outside of Tutto Italia.
After we left Tutto Italia the rest of the crew was walking in front of me (I think I stopped to shop for something). When I rejoined the group they were all talking to a man and a woman. It turns out that they were from Kentucky, had attended UK and had seen Allie's UK shirt. They chanted a UK cheer at Allie (C-A-T-S), but she didn't react. They were confused about why she wouldn't respond. Kara happened to hear them and turned around and responded (Cats! Cats! Cats!). Kara and Adam explained that although Allie was wearing a UK shirt she wasn't a UK student and since our family is new to UK she had no idea that the people were even talking to her. We had a nice chat with them and now Allie knows the UK cheer:).
We were roasting so we decided to head back to WL for a break.

SharonD

Lunch looks fantastic! How nice to get a surprise as well. I can't believe how fresh your group looks, with the heat and all you are doing.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Lunch looks fantastic! How nice to get a surprise as well. I can't believe how fresh your group looks, with the heat and all you are doing.
Lunch was delicious! I wanted to post a photo of the surprise antipasto platter but the only picture I had included last names on the card & didn't want to post those & couldn't get it edited outo_O ! Looking at the pictures you can't tell how much we were sweating, but we were roasting!

DisSplash

That wood carver looks like the guy that used to do wood carving at the African outpost in EPCOT's WS. A couple of years ago I bought a really cool and earthy wooden necklace and for that he gave my 2 kids little wooden giraffes from his basket. It was so sweet. I was looking for him again there last summer as I wanted more necklaces, but didn't see him, or any necklaces. Now I know where to find him! :)

It sounds like your safari idea worked out perfectly!! So glad you were all able to do that together, and that it did not feel as if it took away your whole day. There are certainly some perks to having your own car, aren't there?

Can't wait to hear more about EPCOT!

DisSplash

LOL ... looks like I responded too soon! Sounds like EPCOT was great too! I can only hope that I am in a restaurant and some decides to surprise me with various menu items ... how fun is that?

LisaBelle

Original Poster
That wood carver looks like the guy that used to do wood carving at the African outpost in EPCOT's WS. A couple of years ago I bought a really cool and earthy wooden necklace and for that he gave my 2 kids little wooden giraffes from his basket. It was so sweet. I was looking for him again there last summer as I wanted more necklaces, but didn't see him, or any necklaces. Now I know where to find him! :)

It sounds like your safari idea worked out perfectly!! So glad you were all able to do that together, and that it did not feel as if it took away your whole day. There are certainly some perks to having your own car, aren't there?

Can't wait to hear more about EPCOT!
It was fascinating to watch the woodcarver. Hearing your story makes me appreciate him even more. Another example of how the Disney CMs make experiences magical for the guests.
I was pleased that my plan to get the safari in before heading to Epcot worked out so well. It turned out to be a great day.

LOL ... looks like I responded too soon! Sounds like EPCOT was great too! I can only hope that I am in a restaurant and some decides to surprise me with various menu items ... how fun is that?
The surprise platter was awesome. It made a good day even more special! We'd never had something like that happen to us before . Makes me want to pay it forward and do something similar for someone else in the future!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
After a refreshing break back at the WL we headed back to Epcot. We'd had a snack at the lodge, but we were starving by the time we got back to Epcot. Adam had to have another Norwegian Club sandwich! The girls all decided to have one, too.

We made a new friend who wanted to share the sandwiches. He kept walking around quacking at us, begging for food.

Then we had to take the obligatory viking photo with the trolls. I am so glad that Adam will still play along with these Disney photo ops!

We wandered around World Showcase browsing through shops and just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. Kara was ready for something sweet so she and Paul shared a funnel cake.

It was getting dark, so we sent the kids to stake out a spot for Illuminations while Paul and I made a last stop at the French bakery.
While Paul and I were in line for our food, Adam called to tell us that we'd had a little pixie dust sprinkled on us! The kids were standing along the big bridge near where they have one of the dessert parties. A cast member asked the kids if they were waiting for Illuminations. They told him they were and he moved the rope and allowed the kids to move down closer to the water! Adam told him that we were coming to meet them and the CM told Adam to tell us to tell the CM that we were meeting our family down by the water! They were so excited! Paul and I got our food and headed over to meet them.

So happy with our great view of Illuminations!

Waiting for the show to begin.

Olaf could barely contain his excitement!
We all loved watching Illuminations from our special spot. I think that night was my favorite viewing of Illuminations ever.
After Illuminations was over we had some more shopping to do so we headed to Mouse Gears. We'd been shopping for about 15 minutes when Allie and Sarah rushed over to me and Paul. They told us that while Sarah was making a pressed penny she had set her cell phone down. She forgot to pick it up when they walked away :banghead:. About 5 minutes later she realized what she had done and the girls headed back to the pressed penny machine. No phone :eek:! There was a guest standing nearby and the girls asked him if he'd seen the phone. He told them that he had found it there and had given it to a cast member. The girls thanked him and went to find a cast member to find out what had been done with the phone. The CM told them that anything of value was immediately sent to guest relations. The CM told the girls how to get there and the girls came to tell us they were off to retrieve the phone. We finished checking out and by that time the girls were back with Sarah's phone :happy:!! We were so relieved. Just another example of how Disney cares for it's guests. It could have been a huge run around, but it was handled swiftly and courteously!
And with that, it was time to say goodbye to Epcot for this trip :cry:.

We walked as slowly as possible to the exit. We made sure that Kara and Sarah got to see the sparkling sidewalk! I LOVE this! One of my very favorite Disney magical details.

Goodbye for now you beautiful Geosphere! I LOVE these photos! I was so proud of myself for getting these shots. Allie coached me on what to do and she was spot on!
One last photo at Epcot.

Up next: Magic Kingdom. Our last day in the parks :eek::cry:!!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Your family makes me want to join in!! You guys look like you are having such a good time! And the food in Italy, yes please!! Man I'm hungry now!
You and your friend would fit right in with our group! We had a terrific time, especially the Epcot day I just wrote about and the last day, even though it was the last day. The food at Tutto Italia was scrumptious! We were all wayyyyy too full when we finished.

And again still a great, great report! Just 44 days of waiting for us left :)
Thanks for continuing to follow along. I am getting excited for you. Before you know it you will be at 30 days!!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hmm may have to try this Norweigan club sandwich! Great trip report so far!
Thanks so much for reading. My son discovered the Norwegian Club sandwich on our trip in 2012. It was on the top of his "must do" list for this trip. He let the girls try a bite our first day at Epcot and they all liked it so much they got their own on our second Epcot day.

DisSplash

I agree about that Norwegian Club! That is definitely on my list for our next trip ... Was there outside seating over there too? If so, I've never noticed it. Sounds like you all had a fantastic day at EPCOT, and so happy to hear that the lost phone was found! That would have been such a sad disaster!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom