Pre-Trip We are going to Disney....land?!

Hey everyone!
I can not believe that I am fortunate enough to be sitting here writing another PTR! I just finished my last TR and its finally time to start this PTR for our adventure to Disneyland!!!

Who?
Just my mom and I will be going on this trip :) This picture was taken on our last trip when we went to Disney for the Princess Half Marathon! My mom and I have never traveled to Disney by ourselves but our last trip it was just the two of us for the last three days :)
My mom graciously volunteered to travel with me so I wouldn't have to go go California alone (of course it didn't hurt that I was planning on going to Disneyland haha)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A893%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B3778%3A66%3A337nu0mrj

When?
August 5th - 8th we will be at Disneyland then traveling to San Jose at night on the 8th until the 10th

Where?
I went back and forth a ton on where we should stay. I had read a lot of things about it being easy enough to stay at an offsite hotel and how sometimes they are an even closer walk than the onsite hotels. However, part of me wanted to be immersed in the Disney Magic the whole time we were there so I ended up picking the Disneyland Hotel. The pool looks awesome and we are very excited to stay there!

Why?
My best friend from residency is getting married in San Jose! I happen to be on a rotation where I can move some stuff around to go so I decided for sure I was going to the wedding. Since I am so Disney obsessed I kept thinking about the fact that I must go to Disneyland since I am going to fly all the way to California anyway! I have never been to the west coast so everyone keeps telling me I should take time to see the sites but I knew the time was right to go to Disneyland since its the 60th Anniversary...and who knows when I will be back on the West Coast again.

I have no idea what I am doing on this trip though haha I have obviously never been to Disneyland and my mom was last there 38 years ago so this is going to be a challenge for sure. I am currently reading the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland to get some tips. I am less than 60 days out and have only made one dining reservation...I hope that doesn't matter haha.

Anyway enough of my rambling: Next up: plans!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
WOW!!! Great tips thank you so much!! We are looking into the shuttle from the airport but it looks like they only leave at certain times of the day so I will have to read more about it! I knew I did not want to fly into LAX haha I knew that airport would have been too overwhelming. We will definitely plan on walking to Disneyland the way you suggested...we are walkers anyway thanks to Disney World so I would rather walk anyway. I COULD always use a new bag haha Thanks for the heads up about the FP machine!
Oh wow really? Eek. One of my friends will actually be in town too and they will have a car so maybe we can hitch a ride with them to San Fran and save us some time...
Oh we will stay in San Jose haha

If you didn't know, the take off from John Wayne is unique....

Oh, you need to go to SF. The most beautiful city in the U.S., IMHO. Weather will be great in August (low to mid 70s), beautiful clear blue skies. And some of the best food to be found. The best would be to book a hotel for a few nights. It would be a shame to be so close and not really experience the City. San José is okay, but it's not Frisco. If you are going to be there in the evening, just make sure you have a light sweater or jacket; once the fog starts rolling in around 5pm, it gets chilly.

I miss The City by the Bay. :(

LAKid53

Premium Member
So if we're going to do a WDW ride vs. DLR ride discussion:

Space Mountain DLR is much better; what WDW should have been if the 2009 rehab had been done properly (so more knowledgeable members have said). Pirates, well, there's just no comparison, DLR is better. Splash is different due to single seats in the log; I like WDW two person row much better. Tower of Terror at WDW much better; DLR doesn't have the part at the beginning riding through the hallway. Star Wars is the same, just different queue experiences. Didn't see Fantastic at DLR. I was surprised though that DLR's version of Wishes wasn't nightly - it was only on the weekend when I visited in April.

I got into an interesting discussion with a CM at my hotel (stayed at Paradise Pier) when he learned I was a WDW regular - the whole "which resort has the better ride" thing.

The difference I really noticed was how DLR merged standby riders with fast pass riders. For many of the rides they didn't, which made standby waits much faster. And as a single rider, I wasn't seated with strangers on rides. Kinda nice having a whole row on PoTC to myself.

You will have a blast. And then start thinking about your next trip to Disneyland. I just wish they'd had the special 60th anniversary ears when I was there.

Doc Disney

Original Poster

If you didn't know, the take off from John Wayne is unique....

Oh, you need to go to SF. The most beautiful city in the U.S., IMHO. Weather will be great in August (low to mid 70s), beautiful clear blue skies. And some of the best food to be found. The best would be to book a hotel for a few nights. It would be a shame to be so close and not really experience the City. San José is okay, but it's not Frisco. If you are going to be there in the evening, just make sure you have a light sweater or jacket; once the fog starts rolling in around 5pm, it gets chilly.

I miss The City by the Bay. :(

Ah I didn't know! How is it unique?
If I wasn't going to a wedding in San Jose I would have for sure stayed in San Diego/spent more time there. I'm lucky my residency gave me off as much time as they did though so I am pretty limited on time :(

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So if we're going to do a WDW ride vs. DLR ride discussion:

Space Mountain DLR is much better; what WDW should have been if the 2009 rehab had been done properly (so more knowledgeable members have said). Pirates, well, there's just no comparison, DLR is better. Splash is different due to single seats in the log; I like WDW two person row much better. Tower of Terror at WDW much better; DLR doesn't have the part at the beginning riding through the hallway. Star Wars is the same, just different queue experiences. Didn't see Fantastic at DLR. I was surprised though that DLR's version of Wishes wasn't nightly - it was only on the weekend when I visited in April.

I got into an interesting discussion with a CM at my hotel (stayed at Paradise Pier) when he learned I was a WDW regular - the whole "which resort has the better ride" thing.

The difference I really noticed was how DLR merged standby riders with fast pass riders. For many of the rides they didn't, which made standby waits much faster. And as a single rider, I wasn't seated with strangers on rides. Kinda nice having a whole row on PoTC to myself.

You will have a blast. And then start thinking about your next trip to Disneyland. I just wish they'd had the special 60th anniversary ears when I was there.

I've heard the same things about those rides! We are definitely planning on checking out as many rides as possible to compare :) I'm excited for a whole new experience :) I'm sure I will be a little addicted to Disneyland as well but I am not sure how often I will get to Cali haha

LAKid53

Premium Member
If I wasn't going to a wedding in San Jose I would have for sure stayed in San Diego/spent more time there. I'm lucky my residency gave me off as much time as they did though so I am pretty limited on time :(

Just a very fast takeoff. All due to noise abatement procedures at the airport. It's not that bad. Was kinda fun, actually. And your pilot should mention it before you push out from the gate. Mine did. But I already knew about it. They have a similar thing at LAX (at least they did the last time I flew home). The best part was flying out over the Pacific for a few minutes (great view of the Pier, etc.) before turning and heading back East towards Atlanta.

You know, if you going to buy/build a home within 5 miles of an airport, expect some noise. And don't complain. But then I grew up in the business (dad was an aeronautical engineer for both a major aircraft manufacturer and airlines) and loved going to the airport when he traveled and watching planes take off....

LAKid53

Premium Member

San Diego is another great city to visit. Especially going up to Point Loma for some whale watching.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Just a very fast takeoff. All due to noise abatement procedures at the airport. It's not that bad. Was kinda fun, actually. And your pilot should mention it before you push out from the gate. Mine did. But I already knew about it. They have a similar thing at LAX (at least they did the last time I flew home). The best part was flying out over the Pacific for a few minutes (great view of the Pier, etc.) before turning and heading back East towards Atlanta.

You know, if you going to buy/build a home within 5 miles of an airport, expect some noise. And don't complain. But then I grew up in the business (dad was an aeronautical engineer for both a major aircraft manufacturer and airlines) and loved going to the airport when he traveled and watching planes take off....

Thanks for the warning...it won't bother me but I am glad I know ahead of time! I agree with you about the noise thing though...you should realize that living near one :)

hanwill

ok- I consider myself a WDW expert, but I have only been to Disneyland twice. The vibe is totally different, but still as lovable. When you go into California Adventures, walk straight and you will see the fast pass section on the left before you get to radiator springs. There is also a single rider line. But, if you want fast passes also (its a great ride), then plan on getting there as early as the park opens. If it opens for you early (early entry)- then go that early... the fast passes will be used up within about 2 hours. They control the movement of the line in the morning from the entrance of the park to the entrance of the fasts line- so do not worry about finding it-everyone else is going to the same place.
Also, make about 2 hours-at least for the Walt Disney Family Museum. There is parking nearby. The museum is amazing, and highly recommended. It is near the Golden Gate bridge.

A word about parking your car in SF- do not leave anything in it- my Dad's car was broken into and passports stolen out of a rental down by the wharf- they watch the parking lot...
Have fun.

LAKid53

Premium Member
ok- I consider myself a WDW expert, but I have only been to Disneyland twice. The vibe is totally different, but still as lovable. When you go into California Adventures, walk straight and you will see the fast pass section on the left before you get to radiator springs. There is also a single rider line. But, if you want fast passes also (its a great ride), then plan on getting there as early as the park opens. If it opens for you early (early entry)- then go that early... the fast passes will be used up within about 2 hours. They control the movement of the line in the morning from the entrance of the park to the entrance of the fasts line- so do not worry about finding it-everyone else is going to the same place.
Also, make about 2 hours-at least for the Walt Disney Family Museum. There is parking nearby. The museum is amazing, and highly recommended. It is near the Golden Gate bridge.

A word about parking your car in SF- do not leave anything in it- my Dad's car was broken into and passports stolen out of a rental down by the wharf- they watch the parking lot...
Have fun.

I got to DCA around 10ish, coming through the Grand Californian, so my first stop for a fast pass was the machines nearby for World of Color. Then hightailed it over to Cars to get a fast pass Fortunately, the ride was down and CMs were telling visitors that the fast pass was probably also suspended and so there were very few people trying to get one. I considered myself fortunate to get a return time around 5:30pm.

I think that the sticker shock of SF parking will get her, lol. She will be in San Jose. I unfortunately cannot remember if Caltran runs north close enough to SF to hop the train and then take a bus to SF and change to catch one to the Presidio. We were always coming from Marin and took the ferry in and it's an easy walk to buses if you want to go to say the Exploratorium. And the Ferry Building isn't too far from other spots, if you don't mind walking.

And if she's going to the Presidio to visit the Museum, that calls for a stop at the Golden Gate and the hike to the observation point on the Headlands. Amazing view of the Bridge and the City from that height.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
So true- amazing view of the Golden Gate bridge from the Walt Disney Museum... and a surprise one at that. There was so much to see at the museum.

I was actually referring to the view from the Marin Headlands. But the view from the Presidio is nice, too.

Doc Disney

Original Poster

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice :) I wish I had more time but I fear we won't make it to San Fran with all the wedding activities that I just found out about
Can't wait to see Disneyland! I feel like I am a WDW expert too so I am excited for the challenge of another park :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We got Disney Mail! Thats the best kind of mail! Disney mail always fools me because it comes in weird boxes so I was like what the heck is this then was pleasantly surprised when I opened it!

Everything is Diamond Celebration focused !
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36232%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D%3C8%3C793%3A%3B0d44%3B%2F7c%3Cg0c7d%3B%2F7c8%3A59%3A8968cot1lsi

We got this coupon book thing with discounts to some of the stores and restaurants..as well as the voucher for the free pin and lanyard
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34%3B44%3Enu%3D3%3B5%3A%3E%3B63%3E8%3B%3B%3E2%3C4%3B%3B639%3A%3C246ot1lsi

We had a good laugh at getting actual tickets...I think I will miss the Magic Bands :)
Its also already a discussion about who is going to get which card haha
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3923%3B%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D645765g70hfd4%2F7%3A720%3A6gi%2Fd93hh4739h8fot1lsi

And lastly we got these awesome luggage tags!
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv38669%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D56fc6%3A46076e3%2F7d5%3A0d3gd%2Fggg3h5%3A8d766ot1lsi

This definitely made this trip feel more real because for some reason I keep forgetting I am going!

bcalltimandanna

I have a feeling this will happen to us too haha I think I will be too excited to follow the plan exactly
That is exactly what happened to us. Touring Plans definitely had us prepared as far as food and tips, but once we got in those gates all bets were off. We were like kids again!

LAKid53

Premium Member
We got Disney Mail! Thats the best kind of mail! Disney mail always fools me because it comes in weird boxes so I was like what the heck is this then was pleasantly surprised when I opened it!

Everything is Diamond Celebration focused !
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36232%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D%3C8%3C793%3A%3B0d44%3B%2F7c%3Cg0c7d%3B%2F7c8%3A59%3A8968cot1lsi

We got this coupon book thing with discounts to some of the stores and restaurants..as well as the voucher for the free pin and lanyard
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34%3B44%3Enu%3D3%3B5%3A%3E%3B63%3E8%3B%3B%3E2%3C4%3B%3B639%3A%3C246ot1lsi

We had a good laugh at getting actual tickets...I think I will miss the Magic Bands :)
Its also already a discussion about who is going to get which card haha
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3923%3B%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D645765g70hfd4%2F7%3A720%3A6gi%2Fd93hh4739h8fot1lsi

And lastly we got these awesome luggage tags!
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv38669%3Enu%3D3365%3E2%3A%3A%3E4%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D56fc6%3A46076e3%2F7d5%3A0d3gd%2Fggg3h5%3A8d766ot1lsi

This definitely made this trip feel more real because for some reason I keep forgetting I am going!

I'm jealous that all your stuff is Diamond Celebration themed. I visited in April, a month before the celebration started. :-(

Did you not also get the insulated tote bag? Mine came with one.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh, unless it's changed in 2 months, the place to get your lanyard and pin is the gift shop across from Star Tours in Tomorrowland, which is where the fast pass machine for the ride is. And I bet yours will be celebration themed. So give us pictures. :)

And make sure you get a pair of the diamond ears. They looked cute in the pictures I saw.

Have fun - at both the wedding and Disneyland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom