WDW's Fantasyland

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
Every time I see Disneyland's Fantasyland I'm confused as to why WDW's looks like a carnival in comparison. The architecture/design is so much nicer, did WDW ever have anything like this?
120610-Peter-Pans-Flight-Exterior.jpg snow-white.jpg

KDM31091

Disneyland's had the "carnival" look before its 1983 rehab. The Magic Kingdom was built in 1971 so I guess the "carnival" was still the default at that time. I actually don't mind the carnival look -- to me, it exudes "fantasy" although others think its tacky. I actually think what WDW has now is nice because there's some of the carnival look and some of the "fancier" look.

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
Disneyland's had the "carnival" look before its 1983 rehab. The Magic Kingdom was built in 1971 so I guess the "carnival" was still the default at that time. I actually don't mind the carnival look -- to me, it exudes "fantasy" although others think its tacky. I actually think what WDW has now is nice because there's some of the carnival look and some of the "fancier" look.
I think the carnival look (especially for Peter Pan's flight) looks tacky, and I know the Tangled area is just a bathroom, but it's detailed theming looks out of place compared to the facades of old Fantasyland.

UpAllNight

New Fantasyland addressed some of the aesthetic issues I had with Magic Kingdom but it still falls flat on its face compared to Paris.

The transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is also awful and just needs redone from scratch.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 124

Raineman

The transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is also awful and just needs redone from scratch.
Yeah, it's kind of strange. Tomorrowland Speedway and Cosmic Rays, and then suddenly, Chesire Cafe and Teacups. Huh? They did a much better job in the transition from Fantasyland to Liberty Square to Frontierland.

Fox&Hound

I think the facades of Pan, Small World, and Philarmagic stand out like sore thumbs and I still hold out hope that the facade improvements they made with Pooh and design of NFL and the tangled bathrooms will pour into the older areas of fantasyland. It really could use some love, for sure!

KDM31091

I agree the transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is pretty bad, but not sure what they can really do. The Raceway is physically not far from the Mad Tea Party. Not much room for a transition.

KentB3

The Speedway track was even closer before a loop of the track was cut out in 1988 to make way for Mickey's Birthdayland (later Toontown Fair). Storybook Circus is this location now.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I prefer the medieval theme... Especially with those new towers in the background... However, I do wish they would re-do the entrances for Mickey's Philharmagic, Pooh, Pan and IASW... Not change the theme, but make it more of a castle-style entrance with realistic texture. If MK gets ANYthing in the next ten years, I think that should be it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I agree the transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is pretty bad, but not sure what they can really do. The Raceway is physically not far from the Mad Tea Party. Not much room for a transition.
Raceway should not longer exist at all IMO. They should get rid of it, that way they can use that space to make a better blend from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.

KentB3

Tokyo Disneyland is getting rid of theirs soon, replacing the track with their own Fantasyland expansion similar to Magic Kingdom's! It's a Small World will move to this area as well, to make way for Alice's Labryinth hedge maze much like the one in Disneyland Paris.

Miss Heinous

My problem with WDW's Fantasyland is that it is almost nothing but Concrete in the old areas. When you go to Disneyland's Fantasyland it all feels cohesive, detailed, and is exactly what you expect from the name "Fantasyland". WDW's lost a lot of it's charm with the removal of 90% of the planters, fountains, and other details that used to fill up the empty space, now it's just one giant cement square.

KDM31091

My problem with WDW's Fantasyland is that it is almost nothing but Concrete in the old areas. When you go to Disneyland's Fantasyland it all feels cohesive, detailed, and is exactly what you expect from the name "Fantasyland". WDW's lost a lot of it's charm with the removal of 90% of the planters, fountains, and other details that used to fill up the empty space, now it's just one giant cement square.

I agree. They have lost one too many fountains/planters/etc. It's a shame. Just like seeing the dried up fountains in Adventureland but I guess that's another story.

As far as the Raceway, it's dated, but it's iconic, so hesitate to think they will tear it out. They have reduced the size twice now, correct? Once for Toontown, and once for the newer Fantasyland expansion? I doubt they'd have just spent money rerouting the track if it were going anywhere anytime soon.

FigmentPigments

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I don't like the tent look especially when other parts of Fantasyland have very details exteriors, but the wide openness of the area between Peter Pan and Small World is almost necessary. That area is always crowded and is a major walkway from Liberty Square to Fantasyland. I used to be a custodian assigned to Fantasyland, and I've seen it on some of it's highest volume of traffic. I don't necessarily like the look of it (because I do think some green could improve the area), but I'm not sure they could do much different without blocking a major walkway. When I go to Disneyland's Fantasyland I see how lovely the area looks, but I also dislike how crowded I feel every time I'm there. That's just my experience though.

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
I'm bumping this thread back up, because I know there wasn't ever much talk about the facades being redone, but I know there's been a little talk about budgets for the 50th, anyone here anything about the facades? How much work could it be to take the facades down and rebuild nice, and cohesively themed facades? I don't know much about construction but it doesn't appear to be too complicated.

SpaceMountain75

As much as I agree that DL's Fantasyland has WDW's beat, I think it's a drop in the bucket compared to what needs to be done in Tomorrowland. However, I would be ecstatic if either project happened.

blueboxdoctor

I guess this never bothered me. I never noticed any sort of awkward transition between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. I like the entrance to the Pooh ride, but I guess you may be right about some of the other ones, but it never bothered me much. Though, I do like the way it goes into the new area which is more castles and typical fantasy (which I do enjoy the look of, especially Gaston's Tavern and shop in the back with the fountain in the middle).

If we are talking themed areas/transitions, I do wish the Liberty Square theme was larger, love that theme and look of the architecture from that era.

21stamps

I agree. They have lost one too many fountains/planters/etc. It's a shame. Just like seeing the dried up fountains in Adventureland but I guess that's another story.

As far as the Raceway, it's dated, but it's iconic, so hesitate to think they will tear it out. They have reduced the size twice now, correct? Once for Toontown, and once for the newer Fantasyland expansion? I doubt they'd have just spent money rerouting the track if it were going anywhere anytime soon.

I just noticed this thread after someone recently posted. I realize your post is old, but I still have to say--

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I don't get bothered by change too much..but I can't lose the Speedway!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom