WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

KTaylor

So from what im understand from all of the information on the first page other than ordering a cake and going to pick one up there is no way that we can have an anniversary cake for my parents at Prime Time on New Years Eve?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So from what im understand from all of the information on the first page other than ordering a cake and going to pick one up there is no way that we can have an anniversary cake for my parents at Prime Time on New Years Eve?

Unfortunatley, cake options are very limited in DHS. Sadly, fancy cakes cannot be ordered and delivered to any of the restaurants in the park. The only time I've seen an exception to this is if it's part of a private event...which wouldn't apply here. So, really just basic podium style buttercream would be the option.

There is a 'possible' alternative, but you'd have to check to see if they're OK with it and deal with the pain of transporting the cake.

Boardwalk often allows fancy cake orders to be picked up at the Boardwalk Bakery. You'd have to clear this with them and clear getting the cake into DHS. It shouldn't be a problem...I mean, people are permitted to bring outside frood into the parks and it's just cake. Still, you would be best to check first before trying this option.

Transporting the cake from BWBakery into DHS/50s is the other issue. Transporting cakes can be tricky, but you might benefit from something I did for DD6's 4th bday at the Houston Zoo...assuming you want to mess with this plan to begin with. I had to transport a 2-tier cake with super fragile edible animals and foliage from what would probably be the distance from the DHS main entrance back to the Backlot Tour area. They couldn't supply me with any kind of rolling tables, so I used my girls' stroller, rested the cake on the most level area of the stroller, and walked very carefully to my destination. I don't know if you have a larger stroller or wanted to sink the extra $ into renting one for the delivery of a cake, but just thinking it would boost your odds of the cake making it there in 1 piece.

Not sure if any of this helps, but just trying to come up with an alternative.

KTaylor

Unfortunatley, cake options are very limited in DHS. Sadly, fancy cakes cannot be ordered and delivered to any of the restaurants in the park. The only time I've seen an exception to this is if it's part of a private event...which wouldn't apply here. So, really just basic podium style buttercream would be the option.

There is a 'possible' alternative, but you'd have to check to see if they're OK with it and deal with the pain of transporting the cake.

Boardwalk often allows fancy cake orders to be picked up at the Boardwalk Bakery. You'd have to clear this with them and clear getting the cake into DHS. It shouldn't be a problem...I mean, people are permitted to bring outside frood into the parks and it's just cake. Still, you would be best to check first before trying this option.

Transporting the cake from BWBakery into DHS/50s is the other issue. Transporting cakes can be tricky, but you might benefit from something I did for DD6's 4th bday at the Houston Zoo...assuming you want to mess with this plan to begin with. I had to transport a 2-tier cake with super fragile edible animals and foliage from what would probably be the distance from the DHS main entrance back to the Backlot Tour area. They couldn't supply me with any kind of rolling tables, so I used my girls' stroller, rested the cake on the most level area of the stroller, and walked very carefully to my destination. I don't know if you have a larger stroller or wanted to sink the extra $ into renting one for the delivery of a cake, but just thinking it would boost your odds of the cake making it there in 1 piece.

The stroller is a great idea! I think we have decided to celebrate the night before since it is our free day and we plan on going to the Boardwalk that day anyway or maybe we will just do cupcakes. There are so many things that we could do to make it special for my parents we just need to pick one and kind of soon since we are going for christmas and new years

Not sure if any of this helps, but just trying to come up with an alternative.

Allygator

Disney also does quite a few special event cakes that may or may not have subtle Disney elements, so if you really just want a pretty cake or a cake that fits a person's hobbies or interests...you can have that too. Some even look more like decadent bakery creations rather than special events cakes.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646799/]

The cake below is actually a replica of Carrie/Lurkyloo's wedding cake top tier. She even had a mini wedding cake made to resemble it as well. Very cool!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626755124/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626755106/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626755072/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626755052/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626755010/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646629/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626754956/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646577/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646561/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646565/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626754866/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646439/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646379/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8626754778/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646347/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/8625646301/]

...more in next post...
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]
These cakes are all so beautiful but that strawberry cake looks sooo delicious. Do they have options for smaller cakes like this?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
These cakes are all so beautiful but that strawberry cake looks sooo delicious. Do they have options for smaller cakes like this?

Ultimately, you'd have to ask them. I would think they could though since they work with several different cake sizes. The question is...even if they could...will they? The Contemporary bakery seems to really like working with 8" or larger cakes when doing more detailed cakes; however, bakeries like the GF seem more willing to scale things to smaller size. Honestly, BW Bakery may be the best option to check since they at least make individual goods for sale in the physical bakery. So a smaller version of this cake seems more like something you could get at a more traditional bakery...like BW's. Still, you'd have to ask.

The smallest of the more standard sized cakes is the 6". It's the common size they use for the top tier on their wedding cakes. The 6" cake is supposed to feed up to 5 people. While I love cake, I've found that their feeding guidelines are based on rather generous slices. The cake in your post that has the stars and the big gold bow is a 6".

While I think 6" is your smallest best bet, you may be able to convince them to do something like this on a mini cake, but probably not the mini wedding cake since the 2-tier aspect- even in miniature- doesn't seem like it would work well w/that strawberry cake. The mini cake and mini wedding cake can feed- on avg- 2 people (or 1 hungry cake loving person :D). Keep us posted on it! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The stroller is a great idea! I think we have decided to celebrate the night before since it is our free day and we plan on going to the Boardwalk that day anyway or maybe we will just do cupcakes. There are so many things that we could do to make it special for my parents we just need to pick one and kind of soon since we are going for christmas and new years

Definitely LOTS of options. I think we've just gravitated towards cake b/c I enjoy the big "to do" a lot of the restaurant CMs seem to make over the fancy cake...which I guess just adds to the specialness of the whole experience - well, at least to me. ;) On the flip side, who doesn't love a cupcake!?!?! :D

KTaylor

Definitely LOTS of options. I think we've just gravitated towards cake b/c I enjoy the big "to do" a lot of the restaurant CMs seem to make over the fancy cake...which I guess just adds to the specialness of the whole experience - well, at least to me. ;) On the flip side, who doesn't love a cupcake!?!?! :D

I really do want something really special. On December 31 my parents will have been married for 37 years and have never once actually celebrated their anniversary and even though each family member has been to Disney at some point in time in our life we have never all been together and none of the kids have been so I would love to surprise them on their anniversary with a little something special and something to celebrate them, but since we will be in Hollywood Studios I just can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.

Jessica Meier

I really do want something really special. On December 31 my parents will have been married for 37 years and have never once actually celebrated their anniversary and even though each family member has been to Disney at some point in time in our life we have never all been together and none of the kids have been so I would love to surprise them on their anniversary with a little something special and something to celebrate them, but since we will be in Hollywood Studios I just can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.
Will you spend your entire day and evening in HS? Always an option to go somewhere later in the day if you can park hop, or just your resort if you are staying on site. In actual HS, I am sure you could work with a restaurant like Mama Melrose or Brown Derby and they would do something absolutely special for your Mom and Dad. Sometimes it is just calling and asking.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Will you spend your entire day and evening in HS? Always an option to go somewhere later in the day if you can park hop, or just your resort if you are staying on site. In actual HS, I am sure you could work with a restaurant like Mama Melrose or Brown Derby and they would do something absolutely special for your Mom and Dad. Sometimes it is just calling and asking.

I agree that the the restaurant (believe you said 50s) should do something special if you add a celebration to the reservation, but I'm not sure if they'll do it up big. i.e. it's usually a small dessert or cupcake. And then beyond that, you're once again stuck with the cakes in DHS. Unfortunately, the resort bakeries are pretty inflexible on this...i.e. they have their set delivery spots and they don't budge.

I do have a few custom cake ideas beyond walking a cake into DHS, but I guess you'll have to decide if any of them work for you.
1. You could switch to a meal just outside of the park in BWI, YC, or BC. All of those can handle a custom cake.
2. Instead of waiting all the way until dinner for cake, you could plan a TS breakfast in one of the nearby resorts and have cake for breakfast. That way they start out the anniversary with a special cake.
3. I don't know if they know all of your dining plans, but if you have any kind of meal the following day that would make for a good surprise...you could use the anniversary meal at 50s to surprise them with a super special meal for the next night with an extra special surprise...i.e. fancy cake. Hey- it would be multiple days of celebration which would be fun.
4. I'm not sure where you're staying or if you're all staying as a family in the same hotel/area, but maybe you could have a fancy cake delivered to their room while you're out in the park...then suggest a mid-day break. The cake could be waiting for them in the room...and you could all work out some way (all kinds of ideas) so that you all need to be at their room. It's not the big hooplah in a restaurant, but there would be a great cake and it would probably be very unexpected for them.

Beyond cake...I had a cute DHS cupcake idea. Since it will be all of you together and you suggested cupcakes at one point...you could sit your parents down at a table at Starring Rolls...then you could all take turns going inside in groups and buying cupcakes. And as each person pays they can bring their respective cupcakes out and place them in front of your parents...until you have an assortment of 37 cupcakes. Of course, there is the chance that they may run out of cupcakes...but you could send runners in your group out ahead of everyone else to spots like Pizza Planet & Studio Catering (since most of the CS places also offer at least 1 variety of cupcake) so they can try and make up the rest of the numbers. It's not a big fancy cake, but it's a pretty wow moment to have your family have this big parade of cupcakes to celebrate your anniversary.

OK- that's all I've got for now.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Soooooo, the mini wedding cakes just keep getting cuter and cuter...
8796608652_8143917a00_z.jpg

The cake was made by the Contemporary Bakery...$65...and was chocolate cake w/chocolate mousse filling.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

I'm posting this cake just to illustrate how greatly prices can vary. This is your basic stock vanilla cake...berries and cream/custard filling(which makes it a tad more)...but ultimately, the basic cake. Typically, edible 2D stand ups don't add very much to the price nor do sugar flowers. Well, this cake was made at AKL and I guess since they do far fewer cakes, the whole thing cost more. The cake itself was $35 (which is high for a 6") and this person was charged an additional $35 for Snow White :eek: So, just something it keep in mind if ordering from the AKL bakery.

Jessica Meier

I'm posting this cake just to illustrate how greatly prices can vary. This is your basic stock vanilla cake...berries and cream/custard filling(which makes it a tad more)...but ultimately, the basic cake. Typically, edible 2D stand ups don't add very much to the price nor do sugar flowers. Well, this cake was made at AKL and I guess since they do far fewer cakes, the whole thing cost more. The cake itself was $35 (which is high for a 6") and this person was charged an additional $35 for Snow White :eek: So, just something it keep in mind if ordering from the AKL bakery.
Really frustrating. Seems like there is a huge price variations. Even when dealing with the same bakery.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Really frustrating. Seems like there is a huge price variations. Even when dealing with the same bakery.

A person on another forum put together her formula for determining prices before getting a quote...but I still saw quite a bit of variation in it. What's crazy, I've seen some more elaborate cakes at AKL that involve animal themes that are less than what you'd expect...but I guess that is probably what they specialize in. Still, I just think it's crazy that a big custom made zebra dome cake would cost less than that Snow White cake. Oh well... the person who bought it at least knew the quote was high, but was willing to pay it for whatever they were celebrating.

Magical.Animal

I will be in the world June 1-5 with my BFF to celebrate both of our birthdays. Hers is the day before we head down, but we are celebrating it the night of the 2nd at CRT and I worked with magic kingdom cakes to order a chocolate mini wedding cake with a Belle theme. $35.

I also worked with EPCOT cakes to order a custom yellow mini wedding cake with a Minnie Mouse theme, to be delivered to our Lupper on the 4th, for my birthday, at Le Cellier. Also $35. Ill be sure to take pics of both cakes and report back on the experiences :)

DizneyPryncess

Well, this is a new one...

On the first page, you can see there are a series of princess cakes available for CRT. This person convinced the Contemporary bakery to do a cake in that style, but instead dress her as Sofia the First and insert an edible image of Sophia in the dress.

While I know none of these cakes are "cheap," I was surprised that this was only $75. It's also the first Sophia cake I've seen and the only time I've ever seen them deviate from the stock princesses and designs for the CRT cakes.

This is awesome. My daughter would go nuts for this cake! We're doing her 3rd birthday in Disney next year. Here's hoping I can convince someone to do this cake for me too!

DizneyPryncess

The Boardwalk Bakery made this cake for my husband. It's nothing crazy extravagant. I did an 8 inch cake, it was the smallest one they would customize. Originally I wanted a mini-cake but they talked me out of it. We just did vanilla cake, and I asked them to pipe the Mickey's on the side which was no additional charge. The 8 inch cake was $35, screen print Mickey was $15. Total was around $50, and it was delicious! I picked it up myself and took it to our room. We shared a Villa w/my parents, and DD. By the end of the week the cake was almost entirely gone. It kept very nicely in the fridge. :)

Thanks for this thread @HouCuseChickie, it was extremely helpful to me!

8d5657d8-629b-471b-a97f-02240ad13236.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I will be in the world June 1-5 with my BFF to celebrate both of our birthdays. Hers is the day before we head down, but we are celebrating it the night of the 2nd at CRT and I worked with magic kingdom cakes to order a chocolate mini wedding cake with a Belle theme. $35.

I also worked with EPCOT cakes to order a custom yellow mini wedding cake with a Minnie Mouse theme, to be delivered to our Lupper on the 4th, for my birthday, at Le Cellier. Also $35. Ill be sure to take pics of both cakes and report back on the experiences :)

Can't wait to see the cakes!!! :)

This is awesome. My daughter would go nuts for this cake! We're doing her 3rd birthday in Disney next year. Here's hoping I can convince someone to do this cake for me too!
The Boardwalk Bakery made this cake for my husband. It's nothing crazy extravagant. I did an 8 inch cake, it was the smallest one they would customize. Originally I wanted a mini-cake but they talked me out of it. We just did vanilla cake, and I asked them to pipe the Mickey's on the side which was no additional charge. The 8 inch cake was $35, screen print Mickey was $15. Total was around $50, and it was delicious! I picked it up myself and took it to our room. We shared a Villa w/my parents, and DD. By the end of the week the cake was almost entirely gone. It kept very nicely in the fridge. :)

Thanks for this thread @HouCuseChickie, it was extremely helpful to me!

8d5657d8-629b-471b-a97f-02240ad13236.jpg

Cute cake from BW Bakery! Also glad to hear that the thread has been helpful. Curious what their reasoning was to talk you out of the mini-wedding cake. Granted, they don't seem to do as many as the GF and CR bakeries, but just wondering their mindset in all of it. $15 is also a decent price for those kinds of screenprints...at least compared to what they go for on ebay.

You'll also have to keep us posted on your daughter's cake. Still haven't figured out which CR chef handled it, but I'm pretty positive it wasn't Chef Brian. It just would be nice if they offered some flexibility in these since it clearly works well with other female characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom