WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

MySmallWorldof4

You should be able to. Both WL and Ft. Wilderness are serviced by the Contemporary bakery. Here are the cake and contact details...

Fort Wilderness Resort- 407-824-2090
  • Basic buttercream-covered mini cakes start at $35. For fondant, see below.
  • 6-inch $23 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream
  • No 8-inch cakes
  • 10-inch $54 chocolate, yellow, or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, chocolate mousse, or raspberry; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream, whipped cream, or chocolate ganache
  • Mickey Mouse Cake$54 (serves 10–12): Vanilla or chocolate Mickey head-shaped cake with chocolate mousse filling, covered in chocolate ganache; only customization is writing on plate
  • Fancy, fondant-covered cakes and mini cakes can be ordered at the number above but are made by the pastry team at the Contemporary; prices start at $75 for 6-inch cakes and $35 for two-tier mini cakes, which serve 2
How large are the mini two tier cakes in inches per layer?

MySmallWorldof4

Has anyone seen a 2 tier mini cake with an Inside Out theme? We will be celebrating my 8 year old's birthday at Hoop Dee Doo on June 29 and she wants a Joy themed cake.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
How large are the mini two tier cakes in inches per layer?

Has anyone seen a 2 tier mini cake with an Inside Out theme? We will be celebrating my 8 year old's birthday at Hoop Dee Doo on June 29 and she wants a Joy themed cake.

I'm sorry for the delayed response, but work has been crazy and I just haven't had time to log on.

I can't say I measured the mini wedding cakes, but the one below was ordered for my mom and you can kind of see her hand in the picture. Hopefully, that can help give you some perspective for size.

10282167675_ab4aa337d8_z.jpg

As for an Inside Out theme...can't say I've seen one, but I have an idea that could be easily done IF they have access to an edible image of Joy. Hope this makes sense, but this what I'm picturing.

- both tiers iced in the light green like Joy's dress
- blue bursts piped on to the green to be the patterning in Joy's dress
- yellow piping around the base and middle for the color of Joy's body (or one could yellow and the other richer blue to symbolize her hair)
- edible image of Joy standing up on the center of the top tier
- a few fondant balls around the edible image of Joy - aka Memory Orbs

MySmallWorldof4

I'm sorry for the delayed response, but work has been crazy and I just haven't had time to log on.

I can't say I measured the mini wedding cakes, but the one below was ordered for my mom and you can kind of see her hand in the picture. Hopefully, that can help give you some perspective for size.

10282167675_ab4aa337d8_z.jpg

As for an Inside Out theme...can't say I've seen one, but I have an idea that could be easily done IF they have access to an edible image of Joy. Hope this makes sense, but this what I'm picturing.

- both tiers iced in the light green like Joy's dress
- blue bursts piped on to the green to be the patterning in Joy's dress
- yellow piping around the base and middle for the color of Joy's body (or one could yellow and the other richer blue to symbolize her hair)
- edible image of Joy standing up on the center of the top tier
- a few fondant balls around the edible image of Joy - aka Memory Orbs

Thank you! I love your idea!!

kayjayzmom

Hi, I need help I am going to Disney in August for my daughters 12th birthday. We are having brunch at chef Mickey and I want to order her a Alice and wonderland cake. Has anyone ever seen an Alice cake or ordered one. Thanks in advance

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi, I need help I am going to Disney in August for my daughters 12th birthday. We are having brunch at chef Mickey and I want to order her a Alice and wonderland cake. Has anyone ever seen an Alice cake or ordered one. Thanks in advance

We've seen a few Alice themed cakes or cakes inspired by some of the other characters.

8626757192_a0240885f8.jpg

8625648875_74b559a2fa_z.jpg

This one is actually a wedding cake done by one of the WDW bakeries, but could still serve as in inspiration.

8625648853_b1ef11df27_z.jpg

These two are more Hatter based...

8626753428_b925997211_z.jpg

8626753528_22bc2d02a4_z.jpg

This was my Cheshire Cat bday cake made by the GF bakery last year.

20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg

Unfortunately, Alice is not a 3D molded chocolate option, but you can see there are a number of edible image options of Alice and friends and some people do bring their own figures to place on top of the cake.

Side note- a topsy turvy hatter shaped cake costs more than a basic round. I know at one point, it automatically raised the base price by an extra $65-75. 2-Tier cakes also raise the price significantly.

Hope this helps!

kayjayzmom

We've seen a few Alice themed cakes or cakes inspired by some of the other characters.

8626757192_a0240885f8.jpg

8625648875_74b559a2fa_z.jpg

This one is actually a wedding cake done by one of the WDW bakeries, but could still serve as in inspiration.

8625648853_b1ef11df27_z.jpg

These two are more Hatter based...

8626753428_b925997211_z.jpg

8626753528_22bc2d02a4_z.jpg

This was my Cheshire Cat bday cake made by the GF bakery last year.

20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg

Unfortunately, Alice is not a 3D molded chocolate option, but you can see there are a number of edible image options of Alice and friends and some people do bring their own figures to place on top of the cake.

Side note- a topsy turvy hatter shaped cake costs more than a basic round. I know at one point, it automatically raised the base price by an extra $65-75. 2-Tier cakes also raise the price significantly.

Hope this helps!
Wow! All those cakes are beautiful! Thank you so much! I I'm still waiting on a reply from the bakery I emailed them 2 days ago. If I don't hear from them I guess I'll be calling Monday. Once again Thank you

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wow! All those cakes are beautiful! Thank you so much! I I'm still waiting on a reply from the bakery I emailed them 2 days ago. If I don't hear from them I guess I'll be calling Monday. Once again Thank you

It can sometimes take the chefs several days to reply. You at least have some time until you need the cake. I think I've only had one case with the Contemporary where a lot of time had passed and I called. In that case, private dining (who takes the cake order) got my contact info and some of the details and put a message in to the chef to get in touch with me.

kayjayzmom

It can sometimes take the chefs several days to reply. You at least have some time until you need the cake. I think I've only had one case with the Contemporary where a lot of time had passed and I called. In that case, private dining (who takes the cake order) got my contact info and some of the details and put a message in to the chef to get in touch with me.
Hi, They already got back to me this morning. For a 6in 2d cake Alice in wonderland theme it would be $180. Which I'm pretty sure the 2d is a flat cake topper. I really don't know what to do. I have read a lot of mix reviews on the cakes from the Contemporary. I guess I still have some time to think about it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi, They already got back to me this morning. For a 6in 2d cake Alice in wonderland theme it would be $180. Which I'm pretty sure the 2d is a flat cake topper. I really don't know what to do. I have read a lot of mix reviews on the cakes from the Contemporary. I guess I still have some time to think about it.

curious...is this a topsy turvy shaped cake or a round? $180 seems really really high, especially for a 6", so I'm just trying to figure out the cost. That Cheshire cat cake above was a 6" and was $64 before I added on the fruit filling (which brought it up to $72).

kayjayzmom

image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's a for a round cake. In the email that I sent I had sent a picture of what I would like the cake to look like, but he said that it will not be the same. That's why I'm thinking twice of ordering that cake. If I'm going to pay $180 for a 6in cake I would want it to look the same as the picture I sent him. I don't think $180 is worth a 2d cake topper. I love that Cheshire cake you put up maybe I could ask about making one like that. The picture that I uploaded is the cake that I sent him.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
View attachment 147838 View attachment 147838 View attachment 147838 It's a for a round cake. In the email that I sent I had sent a picture of what I would like the cake to look like, but he said that it will not be the same. That's why I'm thinking twice of ordering that cake. If I'm going to pay $180 for a 6in cake I would want it to look the same as the picture I sent him. I don't think $180 is worth a 2d cake topper. I love that Cheshire cake you put up maybe I could ask about making one like that. The picture that I uploaded is the cake that I sent him.

That's an adorable cake!!! I wasn't sure how much detail you were looking for, so that's probably why the quote seemed high at first. Let me play devil's advocate for a second LOL. After seeing this, I can understand the quote. I do custom cakes for friends and family and I can tell you that the cost comes in with the details. The watch wouldn't be too labor intensive- same thing with the cards, but the bottle, Alice and the tea cup would be a lot of work. The Cheshire Cat could also be some work as I could see needing to make stencils before getting it cut out and painted like that. Just to give you an idea, a patron once asked the GF to do a mini cake in the shape of a tea cup. So basically, a glorified tea cup cupcake with no larger cake involved. Quote = $240.

I'd ask him to elaborate on what would be different so you can judge if it's too different. My 2013 bday cake was supposed to be this really elaborate IASW theme and while my low end quote should have been the clue that it wouldn't be as I pictured it, I regret not double checking that they could do something that matched my sketch and descriptions. It was implied, so I assumed = mistake. In general, I have been very pleased with the Contemporary's cakes, but that botched 40th bday cake still stings.

kayjayzmom

That's an adorable cake!!! I wasn't sure how much detail you were looking for, so that's probably why the quote seemed high at first. Let me play devil's advocate for a second LOL. After seeing this, I can understand the quote. I do custom cakes for friends and family and I can tell you that the cost comes in with the details. The watch wouldn't be too labor intensive- same thing with the cards, but the bottle, Alice and the tea cup would be a lot of work. The Cheshire Cat could also be some work as I could see needing to make stencils before getting it cut out and painted like that. Just to give you an idea, a patron once asked the GF to do a mini cake in the shape of a tea cup. So basically, a glorified tea cup cupcake with no larger cake involved. Quote = $240.

I'd ask him to elaborate on what would be different so you can judge if it's too different. My 2013 bday cake was supposed to be this really elaborate IASW theme and while my low end quote should have been the clue that it wouldn't be as I pictured it, I regret not double checking that they could do something that matched my sketch and descriptions. It was implied, so I assumed = mistake. In general, I have been very pleased with the Contemporary's cakes, but that botched 40th bday cake still stings.
$240 for a mini teacup cake that is insane. Do you think it will be worth $180 if he only does it 2d on top of the cake? I will definitely call on Monday to find out more. He did say in the email that he can't do the 3D because they are not allowed to sculpt figures due to copyright. I also have reservations at coral reef do you know if I could have a custom cake made from them?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
$240 for a mini teacup cake that is insane. Do you think it will be worth $180 if he only does it 2d on top of the cake? I will definitely call on Monday to find out more. He did say in the email that he can't do the 3D because they are not allowed to sculpt figures due to copyright. I also have reservations at coral reef do you know if I could have a custom cake made from them?

That's what has me confused. They aren't permitted to sculpt 3D characters. I have a feeling it's Alice that he's hinting at, which didn't initially register for me, since they aren't sculpting all of her and wouldn't be sculpting her face. But...I guess sculpting any part of her could constitute a copyright infringement, so maybe she's the big issue. Cheshire Cat was the big one I was wondering about since that's very clearly him, but if they can get away with it since it's a 2D relief sort of concept, he may be OK...like how they do Mickey and Minnie ears on a side of a cake. Now for the cup and the bottle, which are clearly 3D, those also aren't characters and I know we've seen the bakeries do 3D work along these lines. I mean, if they can do Donald's hat or Cinderella's coach, I can't see why those are an issue...but this is where his clarification would come in.

The Epcot bakery does service Coral Reef (info listed below). Unfortunately, all of the WDW bakeries are supposed to be bound by the same rules. It's one of the frustrating aspects of the Disney bakeries, but it can't hurt to reach out them if you're not getting a good feel from things with the Contemporary bakery. I haven't had an Epcot bakery cake, but I have seen and heard very good things. There are also a handful of outside bakeries that can do more that will deliver to WDW, but you will almost definitely be paying more.

Epcot— 407-560-6395
The following information is only for restaurants in the Canada, UK, America, Germany and Norway pavilions, plus Future World. All other Epcot restaurants are supplied by outside vendors (details on these are listed below, under “Epcot Restaurants Serviced by Outside Vendors.”)

• 6-inch $23 chocolate cake with chocolate frosting or vanilla cake with vanilla frosting; no personalization
  • 8-inch $40 chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate frosting or vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla frosting; personalization and character screen prints available
  • 10-inch $54 cake, same options as 8-inch
  • Mickey Mouse Cake$54 (serves 10–12): Vanilla or chocolate Mickey head-shaped cake with chocolate mousse filling, covered in chocolate ganache; only customization is writing on plate
  • Fancy, fondant-covered cakes start at $62 for an 8-inch cake. Available cake flavors are chocolate, vanilla, marble and red velvet. Available filling flavors are vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream, dark chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse, fruit mousse (strawberry). Available frosting flavors are vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream, whipped cream, dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate ganache.
White Chocolate Figures Available for $25 Each:

• Belle
  • Cinderella
  • Snow White
  • Tinkerbell
  • Minnie
  • Mickey
  • Donald
  • Goofy
  • Stitch

DisneyDebNJ

I will be calling both places up on Monday. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much for everything
For the most concise information, call 1 407 827-2553 to speak to a Disney representative for any park or resort cake request, With so many wonderful options to choose from, they will help you with any and all requests. With changes happening so often, they have the most updated information.

msb821

upload_2016-6-29_15-29-55.png

My niece went to Disney World for her 19th birthday, just thought I would share her mini cake! I believe it was delivered to Be Our Guest. My sister said it was $35.00 and the flavor was chocolate. My niece thought it was delicious!

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I love cake!
that's all I have to contribute to this thread :p:D

As do I!

View attachment 148774

My niece went to Disney World for her 19th birthday, just thought I would share her mini cake! I believe it was delivered to Be Our Guest. My sister said it was $35.00 and the flavor was chocolate. My niece thought it was delicious!

So cute! I love it when they get creative with the ears!

HowToMakeASonya

Hello all! First time posting here but I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with cake delivery to Ohana @ the Polynesian? I've been looking through the pages but haven't seen any posted (I may have just missed it though), so I was wondering if this was possible.

We will be celebrating my mom and niece's birthdays and while it will be a late breakfast ADR I still wanted to get them a cake. We will also be attending one of the earlier Halloween parties so I thought it'd be cute to go with the Ohana theme and get a cake with Minnie and Mickey in tropical 'costume' with flowers and ocean themed decorations. Is this possible with a 2D print? Or do they only come in standard images?

Thanks for your help. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom