WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I love the Nightmare Before Christmas cakes. That Hong Kong one is insane!!

That cake is enormous! I love the statement of a huge cake and am certainly guilty of making and ordering more cake than what's really needed...simply for presentation purposes. Still, how many guests would I need at my wedding to justify a cake of that size????

The third cake from the bottom is gorgeous. The topper is so cute and understated. :)

They seem to be doing a number of cakes in that style of late. I'm guessing a lot of people have asked for it to be incorporated in the theme without it being as over the top as what's been the themed norm.

BelleofTeaching

I'm so sorry to ask a question that I feel like has been answered but I've read everything and I'm still not sure what's what with cakes. We're going to WDW in April for the first time ever for my daughter's 5th birthday. We're having dinner at CRT on her birthday. She really doesn't like the look of the princess package cakes. My mom designs cakes so she's a little spoiled. Can I get a custom Cinderella cake done or does it have to be one of the package cakes? There's only three of us but I'm not really worried about the cost as much as making our princess happy!! The old style package cakes were much cuter than the new ones. Forgive me, I'm just so confused by the whole first time at Disney ordeal. Any help with the cake situation would greatly appreciated.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm so sorry to ask a question that I feel like has been answered but I've read everything and I'm still not sure what's what with cakes. We're going to WDW in April for the first time ever for my daughter's 5th birthday. We're having dinner at CRT on her birthday. She really doesn't like the look of the princess package cakes. My mom designs cakes so she's a little spoiled. Can I get a custom Cinderella cake done or does it have to be one of the package cakes? There's only three of us but I'm not really worried about the cost as much as making our princess happy!! The old style package cakes were much cuter than the new ones. Forgive me, I'm just so confused by the whole first time at Disney ordeal. Any help with the cake situation would greatly appreciated.

You most definitely can get a custom Cindy cake made for your daughter :) As a person who also does custom cakes (only on the side), I can completely understand wanting something more unique and fitting your child's likes. While you will be putting your order in through Magic Kingdom Cakes via this email address... magickingdomcakes@disney.com ...I would highly recommend reaching out to the Contemporary bakery a few weeks in advance to hash out the details of your cake design. You can reach the chefs at the following email address... WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com . You will probably be working with Chef Brian, and I would recommend sending over a sketch (jpeg format) and written description of the cake you had in mind...including flavors. I'm not sure what you're looking for and they do have some limitations, but this is the best way to work out the details and get a quote before putting in your order with MK cakes.

I can help you through some of the details if you have any other questions or design concerns. :) And sorry the email addresses are causing the font size and color to be all over the place.

BelleofTeaching

You most definitely can get a custom Cindy cake made for your daughter :) As a person who also does custom cakes (only on the side), I can completely understand wanting something more unique and fitting your child's likes. While you will be putting your order in through Magic Kingdom Cakes via this email address... magickingdomcakes@disney.com ...I would highly recommend reaching out to the Contemporary bakery a few weeks in advance to hash out the details of your cake design. You can reach the chefs at the following email address... WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com . You will probably be working with Chef Brian, and I would recommend sending over a sketch (jpeg format) and written description of the cake you had in mind...including flavors. I'm not sure what you're looking for and they do have some limitations, but this is the best way to work out the details and get a quote before putting in your order with MK cakes.

I can help you through some of the details if you have any other questions or design concerns. :) And sorry the email addresses are causing the font size and color to be all over the place.

Thank you so very much! It's taken her months to decide between Ariel and Cinderella! Guess I better get busy on the cake ideas!

12in12

20151205_210342.jpg
20151205_210237.jpg

12in12

Above is the cake I ordered from Chef Brian, cost was $271 plus gratuity.
It looked wonderful but when it was cut it was the wrong cake and frosting. I was very disappointed but naively thought it would be easy to fix. The cake we got had loads of butter cream which nobody in my family likes which is why I ordered cream cheese frosting. I contacted Chef Brian right after our dinner to see if I could get the right cake delivered to our resort, minus the decorations of course but I never heard back from him. I emailed him several times to try and get the matter resolved but to this day I haven't heard anything back from him.I contacted the CG and the cake hotline etc, wasted loads of time during my stay at WDW on the phone, but everyone get promising to get back to me after they looked into it but I didn't hear back anything while still at our resort. I felt really bad spending more than $300 on a cake nobody ate. I finally got a an email from someone who works with Chef Brian saying they were sorry I was unhappy with my cake but that they would love to make a cake for me in the future! The email was just a standard reply that didn't adres my problems with getting the wrong cake. I found the whole experience frustrating and disappointing and will never order a cake from the Contemporary again.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Above is the cake I ordered from Chef Brian, cost was $271 plus gratuity.
It looked wonderful but when it was cut it was the wrong cake and frosting. I was very disappointed but naively thought it would be easy to fix. The cake we got had loads of butter cream which nobody in my family likes which is why I ordered cream cheese frosting. I contacted Chef Brian right after our dinner to see if I could get the right cake delivered to our resort, minus the decorations of course but I never heard back from him. I emailed him several times to try and get the matter resolved but to this day I haven't heard anything back from him.I contacted the CG and the cake hotline etc, wasted loads of time during my stay at WDW on the phone, but everyone get promising to get back to me after they looked into it but I didn't hear back anything while still at our resort. I felt really bad spending more than $300 on a cake nobody ate. I finally got a an email from someone who works with Chef Brian saying they were sorry I was unhappy with my cake but that they would love to make a cake for me in the future! The email was just a standard reply that didn't adres my problems with getting the wrong cake. I found the whole experience frustrating and disappointing and will never order a cake from the Contemporary again.

Ugh! I'm so sorry that happened. I know it's a little late to do this, but normally if the cake is all wrong...you can talk to the mgr at the restaurant where it was delivered. They can't always help, but I've seen stories of people being reimbursed for a bad cake. For what you paid, I'd escalate this and contact Disney directly. You've got phone as well as email options on this link. I like getting things in writing, so I often email when there are issues.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/phone/

I'd share with them your contact attempts with Chef Brian and tell them that a chef loving to make a cake for you in the future hardly makes up for them getting a nearly $300 cake wrong. Maybe something along the lines of...when people pay for extra special experiences that go beyond the norm, it's got to be done right. And then go on to say that it's reprehensible that they'd botch a $271 cake order and think it's OK to offer nothing but a canned apology.

I can't guarantee that they'll do anything, but it puts it out there. Mistakes happen, but it's how they respond to their mistakes that is sometimes the bigger issue.

CarlaM

Hello all! I am a new member. I've looked at many pictures of beautiful cakes and also read lots of post on the thread. I wish I would've known about this site and that Disney made custom cakes when I went to Disney last year for my DS 2nd birthday. My family and I will be going to celebrate my DS 3rd birthday and I wanted to get a cake made for him. We will be celebrating his birthday with a dinner at Hollywood & Vine and that's where I would like to have his cake delivered. I would like to do either a 8" or 10" fondant cake. I've sketched up and idea for a cake. I wanted to do a Fantasia/ sorcerer Mickey cake and incorporate film to go with the Hollywood Studios theme. I decided to do the Mickey ears like the birthday hat. I will be going in October but will be booking the restaurant in a few weeks which is when I wanted to call to get a quote on the cake. Is there a specific bakery to call that does fondant cakes for Hollywood Studios? I'm no artist but this is my sketch. Also I want to surprise my parents with a mini wedding cake as a late celebration for their 31st anniversary at BOG. If there are any new pictures of cakes that you could share with me that would be great. Thanks:)
Birthday Cake Sketch.jpg
Birthday Cake Sketch 1.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hello all! I am a new member. I've looked at many pictures of beautiful cakes and also read lots of post on the thread. I wish I would've known about this site and that Disney made custom cakes when I went to Disney last year for my DS 2nd birthday. My family and I will be going to celebrate my DS 3rd birthday and I wanted to get a cake made for him. We will be celebrating his birthday with a dinner at Hollywood & Vine and that's where I would like to have his cake delivered. I would like to do either a 8" or 10" fondant cake. I've sketched up and idea for a cake. I wanted to do a Fantasia/ sorcerer Mickey cake and incorporate film to go with the Hollywood Studios theme. I decided to do the Mickey ears like the birthday hat. I will be going in October but will be booking the restaurant in a few weeks which is when I wanted to call to get a quote on the cake. Is there a specific bakery to call that does fondant cakes for Hollywood Studios? I'm no artist but this is my sketch. Also I want to surprise my parents with a mini wedding cake as a late celebration for their 31st anniversary at BOG. If there are any new pictures of cakes that you could share with me that would be great. Thanks:)View attachment 134459 View attachment 134460

Welcome to the forum :)

It may be difficult getting a fancy fondant cake at DHS, but you may have some luck by calling the Brown Derby's group reservation line. -Brown Derby’s Group Reservations line -407-560-5377

For the mini wedding cake, is there any theme you have in mind? You should have a lot more options as you'd be working with the Contemporary bakery.

CarlaM

Welcome to the forum :)

It may be difficult getting a fancy fondant cake at DHS, but you may have some luck by calling the Brown Derby's group reservation line. -Brown Derby’s Group Reservations line -407-560-5377

For the mini wedding cake, is there any theme you have in mind? You should have a lot more options as you'd be working with the Contemporary bakery.

I'm torn between a Daisy and Donald Duck theme or a Beauty & The Beast theme. I've seen plenty of Mickey and Minnie but I haven't come across and Daisy and Donald or B&TB mini wedding cakes. They also aren't into fondant. Would that make it less options to choose from?

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm torn between a Daisy and Donald Duck theme or a Beauty & The Beast theme. I've seen plenty of Mickey and Minnie but I haven't come across and Daisy and Donald or B&TB mini wedding cakes. They also aren't into fondant. Would that make it less options to choose from?

There are a number of Belle themed minis, but yeah...Donald and Daisy aren't ones I've seen before with a mini. That's not to say they can't do it...it's just not as common. So, you could do a BatB themed mini cake staring with something like this...

Belle Mini Cake 09-2013.JPG

You could then ask to see if they could either do an edible topper or front piece with Belle and Beast.

Of course, for Donald and Daisy...you could do a similar concept for an edible topper or front piece and just ask for a cake like the one below in whatever colors that correspond best to the edible image options (they can send you pic options).

8626766112_06e8136fb3_z.jpg

CarlaM

There are a number of Belle themed minis, but yeah...Donald and Daisy aren't ones I've seen before with a mini. That's not to say they can't do it...it's just not as common. So, you could do a BatB themed mini cake staring with something like this...

View attachment 134610
You could then ask to see if they could either do an edible topper or front piece with Belle and Beast.

Of course, for Donald and Daisy...you could do a similar concept for an edible topper or front piece and just ask for a cake like the one below in whatever colors that correspond best to the edible image options (they can send you pic options).

8626766112_06e8136fb3_z.jpg

I've found some nice toppers for BatB so I may go with that theme since we will be in BOG. Thank you so much for your help!

alissafalco

Does anyone have the picture of all the princess cake choices they have that I could possibly order to CRT? I couldn't find it on the website.

alissafalco

Borrowing this info from Lurkyloo...this is the new info on the Royal Highness Pkg at CRT...

Price: $110 plus tax and 18% gratuity (henceforth denoted as ++). You may also order the individual package elements separately. Prices for individual items listed below.

What's Included:
  • Princess balloon ($10++ individually)
  • Fancy, fondant-covered vanilla or chocolate cake featuring decor and a white chocolate screen print of a princess image standing against the top tier of a small 2-tier cake ($80++ individually)
  • Name on the cake
  • Barrette-style 3-inch crystal tiara ($20++ individually)
  • Substitute full-size 5-inch tiara for an additional $17++ ($37++ individually)
Add-ons:
  • White or dark chocolate Cinderella Slipper dessert filled with chocolate mousse and served with berries: $ 12.50++
  • White chocolate Crown (milk chocolate not available) filled with chocolate mousse and served with berries: $12.50++
  • Glass Cinderella Slipper presented on rose petals: $65++

Princess Cakes Available with 3 Days' Notice:
  • Anna & Elsa
  • Ariel
  • Aurora
  • Belle
  • Cinderella
  • Jasmine
  • Snow White

Princess Cakes Available with 5 Days' Notice:
  • Merida
  • Mulan
  • Pocahontas
  • Rapunzel
  • Sophia the First
  • Tiana

Rules:
  • 72 hours' notice required
  • Theme park admission required
  • CRT reservation required
  • Payment is not due until you dine at CRT
  • No other flavors are available for the cake
  • Princesses will visit table but cannot present the package/cake
  • CRT will not store your cake after you get it
How to Order:
Email wdw.crt.special.events@disney.com or call 407-824-4477 with the following info...
  1. Reservation confirmation number
  2. What flavor cake you would like (chocolate or vanilla)
  3. Which Princess you would like
  4. Pick one inscription: “Happy Birthday (name)”, “Happy Birthday Princess”, or “Princess (name)”
  5. Which size tiara you prefer
    For a signature slipper or crown dessert
  6. Whether you would like white chocolate or dark chocolate for the slipper (crowns are only available in white chocolate)
  7. What you would like written on the plate (up to 4 words)
Cast members work Monday-Saturday, 8:30am-4:30pm ET. Allow up to 72 hours for a response.

CRT%20Her%20Royal%20Highness%20Package%20Cakes.png

CRT%20Her%20Royal%20Highness%20Package%20Info.png

CRT%20Her%20Royal%20Highness%20Anna%20Elsa%20Cake.jpg

Signature%20Slipper%20Dessert.jpg

Note: Slipper is no longer served on a piece of cake.
CinderellaSlipper.png

Signature%20Crown%20Dessert.jpg

GlassSlipper.jpg

As for cakes...not too much, but a few little things.

This cake was made by an offsite bakery called Bunny Boots Bakery. It was $72 w/o the Elsa figurine.
ohjyon.jpg

Next, an HM cake...BW Bakery- 8"- $85

2ym6jk2.jpg

23rps85.jpg

And that's all I've got for now.
The original princess package cakes were so much nicer. I wish they didn't change it to these cut out princess ones. I've decided not to get it because of that. This new package of princess cakes are very lackluster compared to the original ones.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The original princess package cakes were so much nicer. I wish they didn't change it to these cut out princess ones. I've decided not to get it because of that. This new package of princess cakes are very lackluster compared to the original ones.

Was this the pic you found?

I do agree about the these looking inferior to the original cakes. I mean, on one hand, I like the physical cakes and designs and appreciate that it's now 100% edible, but I liked the previous toppers better as they were a keepsake for the person.

alissafalco

Was this the pic you found?

I do agree about the these looking inferior to the original cakes. I mean, on one hand, I like the physical cakes and designs and appreciate that it's now 100% edible, but I liked the previous toppers better as they were a keepsake for the person.
Yes... They answered me back and said the original cakes were no longer available. She mentioned a 2-D image. Im not sure what that means. I asked her if she could send a picture because I wasnt a fan of the cut outs. We'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom