WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am going to be ordering a cake for the first time for a trip in late May for my BFF's 30th birthday. We were originally eating at Cali Grill, but a change in itinerary and lack of ADR avalibility has moved us to Narcoossee's (no complaints, I've somehow only ever been to the bar here, so excited to try it out!). This thread has been enormously helpful since I had already started corresponding with The Contemporary before our plans changed. My friend's favorite movie is Mary Poppins & I had been told that wasn't an option because of copy right restrictions. I was in the process of coming up with some ideas when our plans changed & I found this thread! Glad to see they were able to accommodate your Poppins request (thinking I will be ok as long as I stay away from characters). Here were some ideas that I had found via my Pintrest addiction (looking at a single tier version of all of these):
View attachment 80044 View attachment 80045
My first thought was some variation on her dress or hat. I am not a fan of the funky eatable photo above, but I like the idea of the carousel horse.
View attachment 80046 View attachment 80047
My other thought was some version of the London night sky. I'm partial to the second version (the first version dances dangerously close to the marketing material for the Broadway production). Thinking of having them do a measuring tape across the top?

And then there's this adorableness:

View attachment 80048
From my research I'm thinking the characters would be a no-go, but I think you get the point without them.
Probably stating the obvious here, but I do realize that the last cake is NOT a Mary Poppins theme. It's just incredibly adorable and somewhat of a back up if I get any push back on my MP ideas. Or if they flat out refuse due to the copy right issues.

It drives me nuts when they say they can't do things because of copyright restrictions. There have been PLENTY of Mary Poppins themed cakes made by the various WDW bakeries. I was inspired by this wedding cake from the GF...

8625643489_7010f61779_z.jpg

Not sure if you've seen the others in this thread, but here's another one that might interest you...

8625643613_b627fa341b_z.jpg

There are actually several Mary Poppins themed cakes in this thread. While I've seen them made by a number of the bakeries, it's the GF that really gets it right. I believe the GF has access to both the white chocolate carousel as well as the individual white chocolate carousel horses.

Alternately, I really like the one that is inspired by the Broadway prod. The only issue...I don't know if they can do it as it might come too close to sculpting a character.

The Cindy themed cake is cute, but I really hope they can accommodate your first choice. Please keep us posted too on what the GF says b/c this would be a first. i.e. no Mary Poppins. Hopefully Pat at the GF can help you :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, a little cake update for you this Friday...

We have a Christmas themed cake, but I'm not sure of the bakery or the price. It looks like a mini rather than a mini wedding, but it's not the best angle to tell.

image.jpg

This is a 10" made by the Contemporary bakery. It cost $150. The person who posted it supposedly skipped the painted white chocolate Mickey b/c it was going to add $90 to the cake. This actually makes me feel better about my cake disaster last year. Yeah- I hated the cake and it was soooooooooo not what I'd asked for, but it was $117- which included the painted Donald topper. So, what this is telling me...I paid about $27 for my cake. OK...enough of my babbling...here's this person's cake...

AnnivCake.jpeg

Here's a SUPER cute Goofy cake...

This is a 6" cake made by the Contemporary...and it was only $74! OK...back to not feeling as good about my cake disaster from last year. On a more positive note...this is the first tame in a while that I've seen a more elaborate 6" from the Contemporary. They usually don't like doing anything too crazy with anything under 8". Good to know we can push the envelope a bit more on the 6"s with them now. I wonder if it has to do with them not doing more custom things with the minis. Hmmmmm...

This is a first...a PotC cake!

This was made by YC/BC bakery and was $85. I see this theme in one of my future cakes. Probably not the next... but at some point!

This cake was delivered to V&As, so that would make this the GF Bakery. It's also proof that the GF will do a square. No idea on the price. I'm guessing they'd charge more since it's not a round, but it would be insane to me if they charged a lot more. I mean, it's a different shaped cake pan - that's it. Covering it in fondant or frosting isn't much harder either.

A basic Grumpy cake...no clue where or how much.

10563420_10152520393700673_1198676389_n.jpg

Now a $50 cake from the Contemporary...

And now we're going west coast...this is Disneyland's take on a Haunted Mansion cake. This cake was $35...before tax and service charge (bumped it to $50)...

1513775_10205965894210296_884702878420638354_n.jpg

10906547_10205965894650307_9177423457240438464_n.jpg

10929224_10205965894890313_8735345573042022694_n.jpg

And finally, a few wedding cakes...

e3764a20461534ca85280041e845d081.jpg

(this one is from Aulani)

8cc275a0560d2bb89ffc4f24f165dffa.jpg

0f884225e17827c3291a15548b5eae94.jpg

(this one is from Disneyland)

a543ef877456d3ae9eda2f6a63083404.jpg

(appears to have been made by the GF)

Well, this ended up being a longer post that I thought it would be! yay cake!!!!!!!!!!!

Blairnicol

It drives me nuts when they say they can't do things because of copyright restrictions. There have been PLENTY of Mary Poppins themed cakes made by the various WDW bakeries. I was inspired by this wedding cake from the GF...

8625643489_7010f61779_z.jpg

Not sure if you've seen the others in this thread, but here's another one that might interest you...

8625643613_b627fa341b_z.jpg

There are actually several Mary Poppins themed cakes in this thread. While I've seen them made by a number of the bakeries, it's the GF that really gets it right. I believe the GF has access to both the white chocolate carousel as well as the individual white chocolate carousel horses.

Alternately, I really like the one that is inspired by the Broadway prod. The only issue...I don't know if they can do it as it might come too close to sculpting a character.

The Cindy themed cake is cute, but I really hope they can accommodate your first choice. Please keep us posted too on what the GF says b/c this would be a first. i.e. no Mary Poppins. Hopefully Pat at the GF can help you :)

The Contemp told me that they could do something 'themed around the story, but not the characters', which I guess is what is interpreted here? I was relieved when I found this thread & saw that they had done so many. Not surprising that MP is done best at GF, seeing that she is most represented there via the DVC Villa addition and 1900 Park.

crispy

Not much in the way of cakes this week, but I will share this one from the Disney Wedding Blog...

af8c6c6ec3ced665850dccdca4e562a9.jpg

0978845a933cbc288792f514bec4de05.jpg

71f9eea09920b917f4af0829e2249150.jpg

I want to love it...really, I do...but I don't! :( I love art deco, but this just looks a bit sloppy to me. Weigh in and let me know if I'm spot on or being too critical :)

I agree that it looks very sloppy. Art deco is very crisp and sharp, and this is all uneven and wonky.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not much in the way of cakes this week, but I will share this one from the Disney Wedding Blog...

af8c6c6ec3ced665850dccdca4e562a9.jpg

0978845a933cbc288792f514bec4de05.jpg

71f9eea09920b917f4af0829e2249150.jpg

I want to love it...really, I do...but I don't! :( I love art deco, but this just looks a bit sloppy to me. Weigh in and let me know if I'm spot on or being too critical :)

Martha would be very unhappy with this cake....

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, a little cake update for you this Friday...

We have a Christmas themed cake, but I'm not sure of the bakery or the price. It looks like a mini rather than a mini wedding, but it's not the best angle to tell.

image.jpg

This is a 10" made by the Contemporary bakery. It cost $150. The person who posted it supposedly skipped the painted white chocolate Mickey b/c it was going to add $90 to the cake. This actually makes me feel better about my cake disaster last year. Yeah- I hated the cake and it was soooooooooo not what I'd asked for, but it was $117- which included the painted Donald topper. So, what this is telling me...I paid about $27 for my cake. OK...enough of my babbling...here's this person's cake...

AnnivCake.jpeg

Here's a SUPER cute Goofy cake...

This is a 6" cake made by the Contemporary...and it was only $74! OK...back to not feeling as good about my cake disaster from last year. On a more positive note...this is the first tame in a while that I've seen a more elaborate 6" from the Contemporary. They usually don't like doing anything too crazy with anything under 8". Good to know we can push the envelope a bit more on the 6"s with them now. I wonder if it has to do with them not doing more custom things with the minis. Hmmmmm...

This is a first...a PotC cake!

This was made by YC/BC bakery and was $85. I see this theme in one of my future cakes. Probably not the next... but at some point!

This cake was delivered to V&As, so that would make this the GF Bakery. It's also proof that the GF will do a square. No idea on the price. I'm guessing they'd charge more since it's not a round, but it would be insane to me if they charged a lot more. I mean, it's a different shaped cake pan - that's it. Covering it in fondant or frosting isn't much harder either.

A basic Grumpy cake...no clue where or how much.

10563420_10152520393700673_1198676389_n.jpg

Now a $50 cake from the Contemporary...

And now we're going west coast...this is Disneyland's take on a Haunted Mansion cake. This cake was $35...before tax and service charge (bumped it to $50)...

1513775_10205965894210296_884702878420638354_n.jpg

10906547_10205965894650307_9177423457240438464_n.jpg

10929224_10205965894890313_8735345573042022694_n.jpg

And finally, a few wedding cakes...

e3764a20461534ca85280041e845d081.jpg

(this one is from Aulani)

8cc275a0560d2bb89ffc4f24f165dffa.jpg

0f884225e17827c3291a15548b5eae94.jpg

(this one is from Disneyland)

a543ef877456d3ae9eda2f6a63083404.jpg

(appears to have been made by the GF)

Well, this ended up being a longer post that I thought it would be! yay cake!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Cinderella & Aulani wedding cakes. I must show these pictures to my daughter, she is planning a Disney wedding sometime next year - once the engagement is official. Just a minor point.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I have a 1st birthday cake question. My DS is going to be turning 1 during our visit in June. I want to get him a smash cake. I am torn between which the better option should be - get a mini cake or regular size cake. And I would love it to be Mickey themed because it is going to be at Chef Mickey. Its overwhelming on where to even begin. I looked through many many pictures on here for some ideas. I don't want to break the bank - about $50 max. It doesn't need to really serve anyone as it is just for Colin. Any advice, direction, etc would be amazing. Thank you!!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Martha would be very unhappy with this cake....
I don't like it either

It's just a sad cake. I mean, if I were to ask a pro bakery for something in art deco style for my wedding cake...especially a Disney bakery...I'd be anticipating something like these...

great-gatsby-wedding-cake.jpg

upload_2015-1-30_19-29-6.jpeg
images

images

OK- you get the idea.

I love the Cinderella & Aulani wedding cakes. I must show these pictures to my daughter, she is planning a Disney wedding sometime next year - once the engagement is official. Just a minor point.

Well there are a lot of wedding cakes in this thread...in case she needs any ideas :) And mega congrats to her...well, as soon as the engagement is official :D

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have a 1st birthday cake question. My DS is going to be turning 1 during our visit in June. I want to get him a smash cake. I am torn between which the better option should be - get a mini cake or regular size cake. And I would love it to be Mickey themed because it is going to be at Chef Mickey. Its overwhelming on where to even begin. I looked through many many pictures on here for some ideas. I don't want to break the bank - about $50 max. It doesn't need to really serve anyone as it is just for Colin. Any advice, direction, etc would be amazing. Thank you!!!

I have seen a few people do smash cakes. They usually ask for a mini or mini wedding cake themed similarly to a 6" decorated cake, but you certainly don't need a corresponding cake for the grown ups. A buttercream Mickey Delight with Mouse Ears on top would run you about $35 + tax/gratuity if delivered to Chef Mickey's. I'm going to borrow @alissafalco 's recently posted pic as for what I was thinking for a smash cake...

image-jpg.80228

That being said- a basic 6" buttercream from the Contemporary would start around $23, could be decorated similarly and they could probably do the larger set of edible Mouse ears on top. My guess is that it would wind up in the $40-50 range when all is said and done. The question is, how much cake do you want him to have to smash :D

Sorry, I think of smash cakes at Chef Mickey's and I always think of this video. The smash cake has been obliterated, but there is a nice cake being boxed at the end.

On a side note...I just can't believe it's time to plan his first bday visit. Where does the time go!!!????!!!!

disneygirl76

I know, can you believe it! He is going to be a year in June! It doesn't seem possible! I love the mini cake b/c I think the size is good. But I don't know if it will have the "smash" effect that the 6" buttercream will have. Maybe the 6" buttercream with some embellishment on the top? I don't really care about any extra cake or if we have any. This is all for Colin. :) To smash smash smash! :) I would assume that I have to clear this somehow with Chef Mickey but I don't know if there is anyone to call or set this up with or if it is just okay Colin makes a huge mess after the cake comes. I would of course love mickey to come but I think that will be random and can't be planned.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I know, can you believe it! He is going to be a year in June! It doesn't seem possible! I love the mini cake b/c I think the size is good. But I don't know if it will have the "smash" effect that the 6" buttercream will have. Maybe the 6" buttercream with some embellishment on the top? I don't really care about any extra cake or if we have any. This is all for Colin. :) To smash smash smash! :) I would assume that I have to clear this somehow with Chef Mickey but I don't know if there is anyone to call or set this up with or if it is just okay Colin makes a huge mess after the cake comes. I would of course love mickey to come but I think that will be random and can't be planned.

I mean, if you're looking for that amazing smash - I think the 6" is probably the way to go. I don't think you can let them know in advance that your table is going to be a caked up mess, but I think I would...
1. make sure that the bday (as well as the age) is noted on the reservation. Maybe with that info as well as the cake on there- someone might put 2&2 together and say- it's going to require extra clean up
2. Consider bringing your own drop cloth or large trash bags or something to catch some of the mess
3. Alert the hostess at check in as well as your server that things are about to get really messy.

Now as for cost, I found this cake - which was recently posted, but made a couple of years ago...

This cake was around $80.

This one was made more recently and was $106.

10644852_10152358873836316_8663741398241947008_n.jpg

Both cakes look like 8"...so decreasing size to a 6" will definitely cut your costs. Both cakes are covered in fondant...so swapping that out for buttercream will also cause a significant price reduction. And both cakes, especially the Minnie version are more ornately decorated than what I had in mind. So, take off those custom decorations for the simple piped Mickey delight on buttercream (like the design on that mini wedding cake I previously posted)...and I think you'll see a far less expensive cake that's going to be around your noted budget.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
You are awesome! Thank you!! This is exactly the info i was looking for! One last question. ..can you pay for cakes with gift cards? Thanks!

You should be able to pay with gift cards. I mean, I know the restaurants accept gift cards as payment for the meals and your cake will be tacked on to that bill. Just keep in mind, when budgeting, that if you're a party of 6 or more (including your son)...they are going to assess the automatic 18% and the cake cost will be factored into that auto-gratuity.

You had also mentioned before about Mickey coming by when you do the cake. I've definitely seen them go out of their way when it's a child involved, but there are no guarantees. I mean, when I had my 40th bday cake there...they did not have Donald come by for my cake (even though he was right on top), but for my older daughter's 5th bday...Minnie magically appeared just as the candles were lit - and it was awesome! It was during all of the bday napkin waving, but she stayed with us for all of Happy Birthday to be sung and then came back for actual M&G a little later. I captured it as she surprised Kendall...

This was the "look who's behind you!?!?!?" moment...
minniesurprise1.jpg

And this is her first realizing Minnie is there...
minniesurprise2.jpg

Meanwhile, the candles are burning and starting to drip wax. LOL :D Still, it made the moment just that much more awesome. I mean, the cake got a lot of attention, but Minnie truly made the moment. So, fingers crossed that they bless you guys with some Mickey magic for your cake moment! :)

disneygirl76

Oh that is so sweet!!!!! Hilarious about the candles! HA! What an incredible moment! I hope that they make it a little more magical! It will be just the 3 of us. We contemplated making it be a family thing. But honestly, everything we have done so far has been big extended family. I just want to have this moment as a nuclear family. Just us. Totally selfish I know, but I just want to keep it small. He will have a big 1st bday party when we come home. Its probably going to be winnie the pooh themed so I did think maybe doing this at Crystal Palace. Do they do the cakes in the parks too? Or just at resort locations? Thanks!

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's just a sad cake. I mean, if I were to ask a pro bakery for something in art deco style for my wedding cake...especially a Disney bakery...I'd be anticipating something like these...

great-gatsby-wedding-cake.jpg

View attachment 80824
images

images

OK- you get the idea.

Well there are a lot of wedding cakes in this thread...in case she needs any ideas :) And mega congrats to her...well, as soon as the engagement is official :D

Thanks. She and her BF have basically planned what type of Disney wedding (Italian Pavilion at EPCOT), I've already talked to Disney Weddings and we've peeked in the windows of their showroom at the GF- talk about cakes! And her BF is as excited about a Disney wedding as my daughter and I are - he wants to do the 7 day cruise for their honeymoon. But the ball is in his court. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom