WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Daxiegirl

One other little update...this is now being offered at CRT...

SignatureCrownDessert.jpg

They're $12.50 + tax. They only come in white chocolate with chocolate mousse. I guess it's the boys alternative to the slipper.
Super cute!

Daxiegirl

@ladyelenawf
Wow, just WOW. Love so many I just can't even start! I don't think I've seen any of those before either.
Or maybe I have....it's all such a blur of cake these days.

@HouCuseChickie are any of these posted already?
Getting close to my trip..need to start hammering out the details in my head.
I'm about 3 weeks out. Is it time to contact the GF?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@ladyelenawf
Wow, just WOW. Love so many I just can't even start! I don't think I've seen any of those before either.
Or maybe I have....it's all such a blur of cake these days.

@HouCuseChickie are any of these posted already?
Getting close to my trip..need to start hammering out the details in my head.
I'm about 3 weeks out. Is it time to contact the GF?

I have seen/posted some of these before, but many are new.

As for your cake...yes, if it were me, I'd be calling the GF tomorrow. Let us know how it goes! :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks @HouCuseChickie for all the info and pictures. Taking my daughter to GF for her birthday next January and her fav princess is Belle. Now I can surprise her at her special birthday dinner at Narcoossee's. Since it's just the two of us, would you recommend the mini cake? Not that I don't mind leftover cake.....

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks @HouCuseChickie for all the info and pictures. Taking my daughter to GF for her birthday next January and her fav princess is Belle. Now I can surprise her at her special birthday dinner at Narcoossee's. Since it's just the two of us, would you recommend the mini cake? Not that I don't mind leftover cake.....

The practical side of me (not a very big side of me ;) ) says a mini cake is perfect for 2 people. The part of me that likes seeing a big fun presentation says maybe go for a 6" since the GF is willing to do full decorations on those. It would give you leftover cake (the mini would not), but not like the amount of leftovers you'd have with an 8".

LoriLai12

Hey everyone! These are some awesome cakes!!

I had a question though.
We are going September 16-18 for my son's birthday and we were planning on eating at chef mickey's like we did last year.
The mini cakes are adorable and perfect size for him but I saw that just this year the CR won't do custom ones?
Is that true? Even if I just wanted a basic green one with an edible tink and captain hook's hook instead of Mickey Mouse ears?

We will all be dressed in Peter Pan attire since his bday falls on MNSSHP.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hey everyone! These are some awesome cakes!!

I had a question though.
We are going September 16-18 for my son's birthday and we were planning on eating at chef mickey's like we did last year.
The mini cakes are adorable and perfect size for him but I saw that just this year the CR won't do custom ones?
Is that true? Even if I just wanted a basic green one with an edible tink and captain hook's hook instead of Mickey Mouse ears?

We will all be dressed in Peter Pan attire since his bday falls on MNSSHP.

Welcome to WDW Magic :) Unfortunately, the Contemporary will no longer do elaborately themed minis. If your design is simple, you MAY be able to convince them, but be prepared for a no. Your best bet is to email and pitch it from a super single angle.

Can someone tell me, how many layers are in a 6 inch cake?

I'm going to have to see if I can turn up any pics of cut 6" cakes. I know the 8" ones are 3 layers, but I'm not 100% on the 6" size. Hopefully I'll be able to find something.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
"
The practical side of me (not a very big side of me ;) ) says a mini cake is perfect for 2 people. The part of me that likes seeing a big fun presentation says maybe go for a 6" since the GF is willing to do full decorations on those. It would give you leftover cake (the mini would not), but not like the amount of leftovers you'd have with an 8".

Thanks for the additional advice. There is nothing wrong with leftover cake (other than ruining my diet) and if GF will make the most awesome Belle cake that is 6", then that's the size. Cake and a cold glass of milk for breakfast is always the breakfast of champions!

Mikay2222

image.jpg

Here is a cake we ordered for her at the Grand Floridian 1900 Fare. The chef was sooo helpful! I called and asked to speak directly to her- then I was able to email back and forth with her to get the final product! It was stunning! That is a number 9 on the top. Tasted delicious as well! Disney does a fantastic job. We have also gotten a Halloween cake from animal kingdom lodge- Jiko- custom designed- it rocked!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Can someone tell me, how many layers are in a 6 inch cake?

OK- so I've been digging through pics and it's really hard to tell. These are 6" cakes from the GF...
094.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

the height on them say 3-4 layers to me. They actually look taller than a number of the 8" ones I've seen.

Of course, here's another 6" and this one looks 2-3 layers to me...
kayleecake.jpg

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but I think the answer is that it could vary.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Small cake update...

We start out with some Frozen cakes ->

$35 and delivered to Garden Grill

These next 2 are non-Disney made cakes, but may provide some inspiration...
FrozenCake.jpg

The Olaf is really great, but after making a Tinkerbell similar in style to this Elsa...I really think it's better to make human figures like this by making custom molds.

This other one is stunning...made by a bakery in Singapore and fed 150...

...it doesn't even look real!

And finally, a cake from AKL.
ltuntitledgt208.jpg

ltuntitledgt207.jpg

ltuntitledgt209.jpg

They were quoted $65 but only charged about $23. It always kind of bugs me that the AKL cakes are typically animal themed, but I guess it goes with the territory. I think the price reduction also came in because this was made by an assistant rather than the lead pastry chef. I hate to be overly critical, but as a cake person, I would expect a cleaner cake from the bakery. Still, $23 is a steal IMO.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
i'm going to order my cake soon! i'm really excited to celebrate our 10th anniversary at disney. we have dinner ADRs at cali grille and i'm hoping to order a mini wedding cake - white with orange mickeys and maybe a rose if they can work with me on anything. our wedding colors were black, platinum, and we had a lot of orange so i think that will be perfect.
So fun! Me and DH will be celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary at Cali Grill as well on 11/3. I may do a Mini Wedding cake as well. Last year I did the cake on his birthday so on our anniversary I think I will have to get one too. :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

OK- so I've been digging through pics and it's really hard to tell. These are 6" cakes from the GF...
094.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

the height on them say 3-4 layers to me. They actually look taller than a number of the 8" ones I've seen.

Of course, here's another 6" and this one looks 2-3 layers to me...
kayleecake.jpg

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but I think the answer is that it could vary.
ahh... well thanks for trying. We went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully it turns out beautiful. I will definitely share a picture for you when we get it!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's hard to believe, but in about a month...I'll be reaching out to the GF to put in my cake order. Hopefully this cake will be better than our last. In the meantime, I have other people's cakes to share with you all :)

This cake was made by the Contemporary bakery and delivered to BOG. More proof that they're finding a way to make room for custom cakes. I was shocked to see that that was $95. I honestly expected $125+.

Slipper dessert at the GF...

Tinkerbell cake made by the GF...

Cake delivered to CBR- about $58...

$120 for this cake from the GF. Not too keen on the execution of Rapunzel's tower for this...

Royal Highness pkg cake at CRT...

Not a Disney made cake, but if you wanted a special cake- didn't want to deal with Disney prices, etc. -you have options like this one from Publix.

And finally, a Disney wedding cake. Not sure how I feel about the ruffles.

a20923025054db00fe68b8cae4bc28a8.jpg

ae363868dddfe68486520ed6d2ed39f4.jpg

75b36568f5ad129ee527a75912c1d6e3.jpg

Mikay2222

Hi. I am heading down for Not So Scary Halloween Party and looking for Halloween Custom Cake ideas?? Anyone have pics or ideas. Thanks in advance

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom