WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Do you know how much that Hollywood Studios cake might cost?

Well, the cake in the picture is a 3-tier wedding cake. I would guess that the cake in the picture was at least a $1200 cake...maybe closer to $1500. Now, if you're looking for a single tier version of this cake, I could see you paying anywhere from $135 -225...depending on bakery and amount of decorations added. I know that's a broad range, but some cakes- especially ones derived from wedding designs- can be really tough to gauge the single tier price.

I'll be heading over to DW the first week of September with 2 good friends....one of whom will be turning 30 on our trip. On his actual birthday, we'll be having supper at the Spirit of Aloha show. He absolutely LOVES the Disney villains, so I was wondering if anyone had any pics/ideas about some cool Villain mini-cakes? (We're heading over to the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert party right after supper, so it doesn't make sense to get a bigger cake)

Daxiegirl

Yes...and I think it's doable if you go through the GF bakery. The Contemporary bakery has been sticking firm on their unwillingness to do heavily decorated minis.

Boo Hiss. :grumpy:

With all those delicious dessert options out there we've pretty much decided that we'll do just a birthday cake for DD and forgo all the 1st trip and Happy Anniversary cakes for us, lol.

I guess it's a mini cake @ Narcoosee's then? :rolleyes::)

I see now why you love the Donald so much. He looks great in the painted white chocolate. Well, he looks great everywhere!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'll be heading over to DW the first week of September with 2 good friends....one of whom will be turning 30 on our trip. On his actual birthday, we'll be having supper at the Spirit of Aloha show. He absolutely LOVES the Disney villains, so I was wondering if anyone had any pics/ideas about some cool Villain mini-cakes? (We're heading over to the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert party right after supper, so it doesn't make sense to get a bigger cake)

I haven't seen any villain based mini cakes, but the GF bakery is still willing to do more customized decorations on their minis. I do have an idea, although I don't have any visuals for you...

If you do a mini wedding cake, you could specify villains you'd like to see as 2D edible images going around the bottom tier of the mini cake...and maybe a few smaller ones on the upper tier. Then maybe his fave villain on top.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Boo Hiss. :grumpy:

With all those delicious dessert options out there we've pretty much decided that we'll do just a birthday cake for DD and forgo all the 1st trip and Happy Anniversary cakes for us, lol.

I guess it's a mini cake @ Narcoosee's then? :rolleyes::)

I see now why you love the Donald so much. He looks great in the painted white chocolate. Well, he looks great everywhere!

Yeah- at least the GF does the cakes for Narcoosee's, so you'll have a lot of options.

I really wish they'd make a 3D angry Donald. Happy Donald is cute, but I'd love to see something true to character. I really hope they have some good angry 2D images to fit with my idea for our cake this fall.

jlsHouston

Yes...and I think it's doable if you go through the GF bakery. The Contemporary bakery has been sticking firm on their unwillingness to do heavily decorated minis.

Yes we are staying at the GF when his bday lands. He loves pizza and character dining, so if I don't get Chef Mickey for dinner I may try 1900 Park Fare. Otherwise I'm going to have it delivered to the room and and take it to Gasparillas and we will have pizza and cake

I haven't seen any villain based mini cakes, but the GF bakery is still willing to do more customized decorations on their minis. I do have an idea, although I don't have any visuals for you...

If you do a mini wedding cake, you could specify villains you'd like to see as 2D edible images going around the bottom tier of the mini cake...and maybe a few smaller ones on the upper tier. Then maybe his fave villain on top.

Thank you so much! That sounds like a really cool idea :) I think I'll try asking if I can get Maleficent's horns on the top!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yes we are staying at the GF when his bday lands. He loves pizza and character dining, so if I don't get Chef Mickey for dinner I may try 1900 Park Fare. Otherwise I'm going to have it delivered to the room and and take it to Gasparillas and we will have pizza and cake

I would just plan on the GF. You want a themed mini cake and the Contemporary won't do those anymore, so the GF plan is really the only option if you want a pirate themed mini. 1900 PF dinner would be fun though...having the stepsisters make a fuss about all of it would be a blast.

Beau Butler

Here's my Son's 18th Birthday/High School Graduation cake baked by Hollywood Studios Bakery, delivered to 50's Prime Time Cafe. A 10" Vanilla Cake layered with Strawberry Mousse and iced with White Butter Cream. I supplied all of the cake top decorations and 2D Mickey pieces. I made the Walt Disney White Chocolate stand up, and got it to Florida from Pittsburgh in one piece. Decorated Confetti Cake with blank top was $49.00. The 50's Prime Time Cafe Chef put the decorations on the cake for me with no additional charge. I worked with:
Cheri Gannon

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Food and Beverage Administration

407-560-3551

Cheri.Gannon@disney.com

P3080510.JPG

1958-walt-disney-disneyland.jpg
841340.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Here's my Son's 18th Birthday/High School Graduation cake baked by Hollywood Studios Bakery, delivered to 50's Prime Time Cafe. A 10" Vanilla Cake layered with Strawberry Mousse and iced with White Butter Cream. I supplied all of the cake top decorations and 2D Mickey pieces. I made the Walt Disney White Chocolate stand up, and got it to Florida from Pittsburgh in one piece. Decorated Confetti Cake with blank top was $49.00. The 50's Prime Time Cafe Chef put the decorations on the cake for me with no additional charge. I worked with:
Cheri Gannon

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Food and Beverage Administration

407-560-3551

Cheri.Gannon@disney.com

View attachment 60975

View attachment 60976 View attachment 60978

So glad they were able to accommodate you with a cake. The topper you did turned out really great!!! Awesome that it was able to survive the trip. :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A small cake update...

A very cute Lady & the Tramp cake made by the BW bakery...

I don't know what's wrong with me, but it took me a bit to realize that it was spaghetti & meatballs in front of the dogs.

These next few cakes ARE NOT DISNEY MADE CAKES, but they are great inspiration pieces for potential Disney cakes.

StarWarsCake.jpg

Indiana%20Jones%20Cake.JPG

900x900px-LL-5c2c4947_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics680550Indiana_Jones_1.jpeg

indianajones2.jpg

And finally, not the most exciting thing...but a Mickey delight mini wedding cake...

Cake_zps4e65a2e7.jpg

I think this was made by BW bakery and cost $25.

afm81986

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello all!!! Well we are sadly back from WDW :( but we had a BLAST and my newly 9 year old Disney princess was showered with birthday love at every corner she turned the entire trip! Her favorite princess is Belle and I wanted to do a custom mini cake to be served at her birthday dinner at BOG. As you all know the contemporary has gotten very strict with what they will do as far as custom decorations on a mini cake. My first request to the bakery received a flat out refusal but once I was able to simplify my design and politely ask them to accommodate they were willing to do my cake. I was concerned with how it would turn out still though, but luckily for no reason as it turned out amazing! We kept getting stares and other guests asking how we were able to order such an awesome cake! I actually felt bad when I heard a little girl upset that her cake (one of the generic freezer round cakes) wasn't as cool as ours. :( I truly did feel like crap for a second there!! But our princess loved it, the cake was delicious and so gorgeous!! I will post better pics that I took shortly but for now here's these two :) thanks to this thread for even knowing where to begin!! :)

Hi I was thinking of ordering the mini cake with the castle on it, and wanted to know what the flavor and color options are for it? I think someone said they were 30 dollars and it seems more affordable to us even though these other cakes are beautiful!

DisneyDaver

My wife and I are having dinner at the California Grill on the night of our 1 year wedding anniversary. I would like to get a cake with our wedding picture image on the cake. From the prior posts, it sounds like the Contemporary does not customize the smaller cakes. Is it still possible to get a smaller one with a picture image on it?

ladyelenawf

I have spent 2 weeks reading though all this (probaly would have been quicker, but you know...stupid adult responsibilites). I know it's been a bit since @HouCuseChickie has posted. So if anyone else knows the answer please chime in!

If you are unhappy with a cake when it is delivered to your table, can you refuse it? Will you still be charged? I've been talking about a cake with my Fiancé. He's actually sort of excited about getting cake for breakfast all week, but I know how pi$$ed I'll be if they jack up the simple idea I have.

Also, if GF pushes back/won't comply, am I better off just ordering from Boadwalk Bakery & just picking it up at Shutters for the filling I want?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
View attachment 61390 View attachment 61391 Hello all!!! Well we are sadly back from WDW :( but we had a BLAST and my newly 9 year old Disney princess was showered with birthday love at every corner she turned the entire trip! Her favorite princess is Belle and I wanted to do a custom mini cake to be served at her birthday dinner at BOG. As you all know the contemporary has gotten very strict with what they will do as far as custom decorations on a mini cake. My first request to the bakery received a flat out refusal but once I was able to simplify my design and politely ask them to accommodate they were willing to do my cake. I was concerned with how it would turn out still though, but luckily for no reason as it turned out amazing! We kept getting stares and other guests asking how we were able to order such an awesome cake! I actually felt bad when I heard a little girl upset that her cake (one of the generic freezer round cakes) wasn't as cool as ours. :( I truly did feel like crap for a second there!! But our princess loved it, the cake was delicious and so gorgeous!! I will post better pics that I took shortly but for now here's these two :) thanks to this thread for even knowing where to begin!! :)

Super cute cake!!! We've been in that position before as well...i.e. when another birthday child is jealous of our custom cake. You feel bad for a moment and you often catch a look from on of the parents...like "how the heck did they get a cake like that!?!?!?!"...but then you just have to revel in the moment and love the joy you've brought to your child. Thanks for sharing the pic! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi I was thinking of ordering the mini cake with the castle on it, and wanted to know what the flavor and color options are for it? I think someone said they were 30 dollars and it seems more affordable to us even though these other cakes are beautiful!

Sorry- I have been super busy at work and have had a hard time keeping up. If you want a mini cake with a castle, your best bet is the GF bakery. Most of them seem to be around $35 and they do a nice job on them...sometimes even illuminating the castle. The color options should be pretty much your call, but they may make you stick to chocolate or vanilla for cake flavor.

My wife and I are having dinner at the California Grill on the night of our 1 year wedding anniversary. I would like to get a cake with our wedding picture image on the cake. From the prior posts, it sounds like the Contemporary does not customize the smaller cakes. Is it still possible to get a smaller one with a picture image on it?

I don't think they'll do it on anything smaller than 8". That seems to be the standard for all of the bakeries that do edible images on top, but it can't hurt to ask if they'd consider a 6".

I have spent 2 weeks reading though all this (probaly would have been quicker, but you know...stupid adult responsibilites). I know it's been a bit since @HouCuseChickie has posted. So if anyone else knows the answer please chime in!

If you are unhappy with a cake when it is delivered to your table, can you refuse it? Will you still be charged? I've been talking about a cake with my Fiancé. He's actually sort of excited about getting cake for breakfast all week, but I know how pi$$ed I'll be if they jack up the simple idea I have.

Also, if GF pushes back/won't comply, am I better off just ordering from Boadwalk Bakery & just picking it up at Shutters for the filling I want?

Sorry, it's been a long week and I haven't been able to check in. I do know of people who have complained about their cakes and refused to pay. In most cases, the cake has been taken off the bill, but there of course should be a legit reason for turning it down. I probably should have done this with my last big cake, but it was a really stressful time and I didn't want to make things worse.

I also can't see them messing with a simple idea. It's the complex ones where I worry. The Contemporary bakery is really great about working with sketches, so I'd try and get them a sketch to give them a clear vision. GF will also work with sketches...but if you catch Pat on an off day, there might be more hassle. Your BW bakery plan could also be good if that's what's most convenient for you.

ladyelenawf

Sorry- I have been super busy at work and have had a hard time keeping up. If you want a mini cake with a castle, your best bet is the GF bakery. Most of them seem to be around $35 and they do a nice job on them...sometimes even illuminating the castle. The color options should be pretty much your call, but they may make you stick to chocolate or vanilla for cake flavor.

I don't think they'll do it on anything smaller than 8". That seems to be the standard for all of the bakeries that do edible images on top, but it can't hurt to ask if they'd consider a 6".

Sorry, it's been a long week and I haven't been able to check in. I do know of people who have complained about their cakes and refused to pay. In most cases, the cake has been taken off the bill, but there of course should be a legit reason for turning it down. I probably should have done this with my last big cake, but it was a really stressful time and I didn't want to make things worse.

I also can't see them messing with a simple idea. It's the complex ones where I worry. The Contemporary bakery is really great about working with sketches, so I'd try and get them a sketch to give them a clear vision. GF will also work with sketches...but if you catch Pat on an off day, there might be more hassle. Your BW bakery plan could also be good if that's what's most convenient for you.

No worries at all!! I'm just really thankful that you replied! I know you have other priorities, so thank you for your time & expertise!!

I don't actually want to do California Grill (I have a phenomenal sushi place in town) or Chef Mickey's (we don't have small ones) for meals. I've got Narcoossee's (I love the steak & lobster) & 1900 Park Fare(Strawberry Soup!!!). I figured I'd do Narcoossee's as he's so excited about cake for breakfast that I need to get it at the beginning of our trip instead of the end. He volunteered to do it. LOL when I told him I need to email him all the info I picked up from this thread, his reply floored me. He texted, "but why it's just cake?"

I showed him my spread sheet of info & he's rethinking his enlistment in the war on cake. :p

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
No worries at all!! I'm just really thankful that you replied! I know you have other priorities, so thank you for your time & expertise!!

I don't actually want to do California Grill (I have a phenomenal sushi place in town) or Chef Mickey's (we don't have small ones) for meals. I've got Narcoossee's (I love the steak & lobster) & 1900 Park Fare(Strawberry Soup!!!). I figured I'd do Narcoossee's as he's so excited about cake for breakfast that I need to get it at the beginning of our trip instead of the end. He volunteered to do it. LOL when I told him I need to email him all the info I picked up from this thread, his reply floored me. He texted, "but why it's just cake?"

I showed him my spread sheet of info & he's rethinking his enlistment in the war on cake. :p

It's funny, the best thing I've ever eaten at Cali Grill was a flatbread. Sushi is good too, but that flatbread...man! Ultimately, the GF does a really nice job with their cakes. I'm going to be working with them for our cake this fall. Yeah- I think DH would probably have the same reply if I didn't make cakes. He's learned that it's never "just cake." ;) I think he'll be happy with the whole cake thing once 1) he's having cake for breakfast 2) he's got a cooler cake than anyone else in the room. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom