WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

maxairmike

No just one level but still technically indoor parking garage lol

Heh, never parked there and only walked past it once. I wouldn't consider that a parking garage in the context of this particular conversation (multi-level structures), but it is convenient, although thematically intrusive and abrasive to arriving guests.

Horizons1

I think it has to do with sightlines. If they put up a 10 story or even 5 story parking garage where the current MK parking lot is, you would be able to see it from the MK, and it would overshadow the Polynesian from behind. Nobody wants to look across the lagoon to their hotel and see a huge parking structure rising behind it, lol. There just isn't a place around the MK area where a large parking garage would look very good.
Disney hasn't cared about sight lines in years.

Unplugged

As a guest, I find a large low profile themed garage (<=5 stories as compared to cities with 5-20) to be less disruptive than acres upon acres of cars. Seeing such massive sprawling parking lots where all the asphalt absorbs heat, contain oceans of cars, and is so land invasive is less appealing than a clean lined, slightly themed garage. I'm talking about cost efficiencies, I get that as an engineer. I'm speaking strictly as a WDW guest expecting a balance between convenience (perceived value) and good land stewardship reflecting what Disney tells us in their many programs. Using modern technology as others have indicated and as Disney is using at the Springs, seems so much more pleasant than what's there now. Site lines seems like such a mute point knowing it can be integrated nicely into the landscape as

<arm-chair-Imagineering> Using Google Earth, I estimated that 3 parking garages the size of what are being built at the Springs, would be a parking equivalent of ALL the parking in the MK lots. Yet, these garages are a very tiny footprint in comparison. Building 3 along World drive would double capacity and allow for a new monorail terminal built right around the existing beam. If they only wanted to increase capacity by 50%, they could simply remove 1/2+ of the old asphalt lots for a new resort (yeah I know...DVC resort) and increase revenue yet again, justifying the garage costs.
</arm-chair-Imagineering>

CaptainAmerica

As a guest, I find a large low profile themed garage (<=5 stories as compared to cities with 5-20) to be less disruptive than acres upon acres of cars. Seeing such massive sprawling parking lots where all the asphalt absorbs heat, contain oceans of cars, and is so land invasive is less appealing than a clean lined, slightly themed garage. I'm talking about cost efficiencies, I get that as an engineer. I'm speaking strictly as a WDW guest expecting a balance between convenience (perceived value) and good land stewardship reflecting what Disney tells us in their many programs. Using modern technology as others have indicated and as Disney is using at the Springs, seems so much more pleasant than what's there now. Site lines seems like such a mute point knowing it can be integrated nicely into the landscape as

<arm-chair-Imagineering> Using Google Earth, I estimated that 3 parking garages the size of what are being built at the Springs, would be a parking equivalent of ALL the parking in the MK lots. Yet, these garages are a very tiny footprint in comparison. Building 3 along World drive would double capacity and allow for a new monorail terminal built right around the existing beam. If they only wanted to increase capacity by 50%, they could simply remove 1/2+ of the old asphalt lots for a new resort (yeah I know...DVC resort) and increase revenue yet again, justifying the garage costs.
</arm-chair-Imagineering>
One major difference: People trickle in and trickle out of Downtown Disney / Disney Springs.

At the Magic Kingdom, 98%* of the people show up between 8 AM and 10 AM and then leave immediately following the fireworks and/or parade. When we're talking about vertical parking, people arriving throughout the day and leaving throughout the day is much different than everyone showing up and leaving all at once. You want to be on the fourth floor of a parking garage 20 minutes after Wishes gets out? I imagine not.

*Yes, 98% is an exaggeration but my point remains.

lazyboy97o

It's amazing the land directly on the other side of reams road sits undeveloped and for sale. That has been sitting there for over 40 years and Disney has not purchased it. It's astounding, really.
Disney has been selling off peripheral land over the last several years. Why would they buy more?

One major difference: People trickle in and trickle out of Downtown Disney / Disney Springs.

At the Magic Kingdom, 98%* of the people show up between 8 AM and 10 AM and then leave immediately following the fireworks and/or parade. When we're talking about vertical parking, people arriving throughout the day and leaving throughout the day is much different than everyone showing up and leaving all at once. You want to be on the fourth floor of a parking garage 20 minutes after Wishes gets out? I imagine not.

There are similar traffic patterns of mass arrival and departure at Universal Orlando Resort and Tokyo DisneySEA.

freediverdude

Yea even though I don't like the idea of parking garages, I don't think they would turn into a traffic jam, because of the gradual flow of guests caused by the need to take the monorail or ferry to get to the parking lots. This tends to stagger the crowds descending on the parking lot. Granted they probably wouldn't need the trams anymore though, which might eventually pay for the garages just from the cost savings. I do think it would be hard to theme a parking garage so it didn't look like a huge square building looming over the Polynesian though.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The comparative lots dont have more exit points than a garage might. The difference in how unobstructed the egress is .... No stop signs, speed of ramps, etc. Keep 'em flowing...

Unplugged

You want to be on the fourth floor of a parking garage 20 minutes after Wishes gets out? I imagine not.

Actually, to me there's no difference between being stuck in a sprawling parking lot or on the 4th floor of a garage. You're stuck in a traffic flow no matter what as it all comes down to exits, ramps, merging lanes, etc. This is the norm in cities, hotels & convention centers, other parks, etc. At least in a garage my car is protected during my visit from the beating sun and hail in Florida storms (unless parked on the top deck, though that can be handled with protective roofing as used in AZ & CA with solar energy options).

The only benefit to huge sprawling parking lots is the money saved by Disney. Guests still have to pay for parking and have fewer conveniences, including being redirected to other parks parking lots after sitting in some of the traffic you seem to prefer. The current parking methodology, if grown larger, would be absurd and a waste of natural resources. The right design of multi-lane ramps and roadways can make a garage very efficient, and Disney has the space to do it unlike many facilities.

Unplugged

I do think it would be hard to theme a parking garage so it didn't look like a huge square building looming over the Polynesian though.

As I was just responding to another, I was thinking the same thing you bring up. I thought about the roof style of the Poly and the thought popped into my head that the side facing the poly could use that design, with the remaining sides paneled as is being done at Disney Springs. Could be cool to see the sloped roofs, large scale tiki art work, palm trees, etc. I don't know. Just thinking of what will never or likely won't be.

mm121

It's amazing the land directly on the other side of reams road sits undeveloped and for sale. That has been sitting there for over 40 years and Disney has not purchased it. It's astounding, really.
maybe its outside the boundaries of the RCID, if so , I dont know how hard it is for them to get it annexed, as if its not in the RCID, it would mean dealing with a whole new set of governments in order to be able to use it for anything.
You can creatively design a parking garage to not look terrible. Theme the exterior properly as Disney is more than capable of doing.
when they want to,

Universal has garages and people leave at the same time and arrive at the same time.

Its just a matter of proper garage design
Disney has been selling off peripheral land over the last several years. Why would they buy more?

There are similar traffic patterns of mass arrival and departure at Universal Orlando Resort and Tokyo DisneySEA.

why would they sell off land? rather than selling it they should use it.

ILOVEDISNEY

Actually, you can already get into the MK parking lot without going through a toll plaza. To fix the loophole, they just have to block off the "Return to MK Parking" left exit from Floridian Way, problem solved. Not a huge deal, not many people know about that way anyhow. I predict that eventually they will be forced to build a new toll plaza anyway, further up near the speedway on the east side. That way all the resort traffic won't need to go through the Toll Plaza.

*edit* I think there is some sort of contractual thing with that service station to re-enter the MK parking lot without going through that toll plaza again... so that contract would need to be amended as well in the meantime... unless they build a bridge.

You can also access the TTC parking lot by using the dedicated handicap entrance on Floridian Way. I have a handicap placard and I am a long-time AP, but I have seen many guests sneak in without paying the $17 fee. We live in Windermere and have used the Center Drive entrance for years. The sign at the entrance specifically states the road is for CMs and Disney Resort Guests.

CaptainAmerica

They've both bought and sold various parcels over the years, including very recent purchases. There are all sorts of games to play and loopholes to jump through with central Florida real estate, especially regarding taxation and environmental regulations/incentives.

Big C 73

Yes, indeed it is. In a theorotical stance, I believe they should personally purchase theland now before further housing or residential areas are constructed. I personally know that this is impossible now, but it would be wonderful if they could havepurchased the land on which the residential areas now encompass, previously utilized for agriculture. I wish that this could have been retained as it proposes external views from heightened places within Walt Disney World, such as the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort Hotel. Also, in a personal context I prefer the retained nature/agrictural aspect of the land as it retains the isolated aura of the property/control of area. These agricultural area (presumably orange groves) could be utilized by Disney for independent food production or the leasing of such property to other agrictural interest. In perspective, this land asset would lie in the generlized area between Fiquette Road and Winter Garden Vineland Road up to Overstreet Road.

Last edited:

Horizons1

Yes, indeed it is. In a theorotical stance, I believe they should personally purchase theland now before further housing or residential areas are constructed. I personally know that this is impossible now, but it would be wonderful if they could havepurchased the land on which the residential areas now encompass, previously utilized for agriculture. I wish that this could have been retained as it proposes external views from heightened places within Walt Disney World, such as the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort Hotel. Also, in a personal context I prefer the retained nature/agrictural aspect of the land as it retains the isolated aura of the property/control of area. These agricultural area (presumably orange groves) could be utilized by Disney for independent food production or the leasing of such property to other agrictural interest. In perspective, this land asset would lie in the generlized area between Fiquette Road and Winter Garden Vineland Road up to Overstreet Road.
That's a great idea but you have to realize that's an idea in the vein of EPCOT and today's Walt Disney company doesn't like ideas like that. Now if they purchased that land to put frozen characters on, we are golden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom